• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadowloo Showdown V - August 29-31! Congrats to all winners! Comments and Shoutouts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
@Mytus Thanks man! Btw your doubles partner and I were discussing the Marth Sheik matchup and he said that he got heaps of notes from Armada about it that he'd be happy to show me. If he could pm me on here or email me liamtee@hotmail.com then that would be awesome :)

S.D

Smash Master
I haven't exactly worked out how I'm going to do this but if people had any matches recorded they'd like an analysis on I'm hoping to be able to do so in a video format. Details coming soon? Hopefully?

Meredy

The Busterina
I haven't exactly worked out how I'm going to do this but if people had any matches recorded they'd like an analysis on I'm hoping to be able to do so in a video format. Details coming soon? Hopefully?
I'd love an analysis of my moneymatch with PCG to see the stuff I did wrong.

S.D

Smash Master
Where are the big group photos?
I've asked Ali who the photographer was, waiting on a response.

I'd love an analysis of my moneymatch with PCG to see the stuff I did wrong.
Link it if it gets uploaded, I will do it from both sides.

One thing I can tell you from our friendlies at Max's is that you need to mix up your game after hitting Fox's shield. You almost exclusively go for D smash which fox can easily beat out with a buffer full jump to dair > shine etc. Jab > grab, DD away reset > FJ Uair to catch the jump are all good options, especially the last one if Fox is FJ OOS a lot.

Last edited:

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Belated shout outs
TO's for running this out of the goodness of their hearts. No seriously volunteers are amazing, you guys are the best.

Splice: For not being exposed as a fraud, keep climbing that mountain bro. Keep on climbing. PS thanks for bugging me to play smash enough to make me do it

Attila: For being all around good guy and running brawl. Also thanks for knocking me to losers in brawl, I wish brawl wasn't dead now or else that set would've finally been the motivation for me to improve my game. Sad to hear you say your spark may be gone, hope smash 4 revitalizes it.

Tinman: You rock man! Pleasure to meet you, had a great chat, whenever you're down in melbourne let me know and we'll grab a beer or something! Grats on brawl, you definitely exposed me as a fraud in friendlies, see 'Attila': playing you was inspiring.

Tom: Had a sweet time hanging with you too, you're definitely one of the nicest people I've ever met through smash, and have a good sense of humor.

Tibs: Great to see you again! Wish I could've pushed you harder in brawl, but thats life. Tell your bro to keep playing.

Dean: So good to see you again, playing with you and chilling was some great fun, nice to have someone who's around my level at brawl and melee makes it entertaining. Nice suit

Baranay (sp?) boys: Props on dubs, I thought you both deserved it anyway, and you still had another set up your sleeves. Slops on after 6 years of this game still knocking me out of tournaments I hate you both xoxox.

Jei: After 6 years what you've done for brawl in melbourne and the greater smash scene cannot be understated, love still seeing you around at these things and as always we have awesome sets. You won the first tournament I ever attended (I think) and you're still here flying the brawl flag. Love it.

PCG: For somehow enjoying watching me and attila play in brawl more than PM.

Melee kids I met but I forget: You were all super nice and welcoming as I've been saying to billy I've just started picking up your game, so I'll hopefully see you around at a tournament whenever I can get there. Dont let your game die!

Brawl kids: Thanks for all playing an excellent game, some of you with me, some of you flew the flag while I was gone, it's been good and we've had some fun. Hope to see you all sm4shing in 6 months.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
PCG da bess
@Mytus people were excited to meet me? lmao i'm not the next coming of jesus
@ joeyjoeyjoejoe joeyjoeyjoejoe I didn't come up because I wasn't in this sort of environment before and I didn't know what to expect, will be better next time I promise
In the meanwhile after looking at one of the earlier photos that dekar posted I think that this face by PCG is the best face ever
View attachment 23931
One (or both) of these needs to be a Twitch emote.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Shout outs to the TOs (especially Dekar who ran my pool and was real supportive) and all the Aussies for an awesome tournament and being to great to us Kiwis! We definitely have a long way to go in terms of closing the skill gap but are all glad we came.

Thanks to Lucky, Armada, Splice, Atticus and SD for playing me in friendlies and sorry for charging needles in the crew battle (not that it made a difference anyway lol). Force of habit johns. You're pretty cool too, Caotic. ;) Meredyse, you're a very inspirational player and just thinking about your play never ceases to impress me. Keep it up, buddy! Sorry if I missed out anyone.

This was my first time in Melbourne and was definitely memorable. It was really nice getting to meet such friendly, down to earth people. Looking forward to the next time I get to play/chill with you guys whether in NZ or at next year's Shadowloo!

Last edited:

Basty

Smash Ace
After melbourne melee gets a partnership and has enough subscribers I demand they start sponsoring people and become Australias first Smash sponsor
MelbourneMelee Bu$ make it happen

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
After melbourne melee gets a partnership and has enough subscribers I demand they start sponsoring people and become Australias first Smash sponsor
MelbourneMelee Bu$ make it happen
I thought that was nova

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Well, at least we have a twitch emote now for www.twitch.tv/melbournemelee once we get a twitch partnership. :D
Regarding this, to stream one full day of 720p smash at the same quality as Shadowloo Showdown, we need 6gb of Bandwidth and at least a 1.2mb up link.
Keep on the look out for cheap Telstra network 4g plans, and venues that provide internet!

Meredy

The Busterina
It is the year 20xx, ;pcg: has replaced Kappa.

;pcg: is easier to type than ;prettycoolguy:

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
I've asked Ali who the photographer was, waiting on a response.

Link it if it gets uploaded, I will do it from both sides.

One thing I can tell you from our friendlies at Max's is that you need to mix up your game after hitting Fox's shield. You almost exclusively go for D smash which fox can easily beat out with a buffer full jump to dair > shine etc. Jab > grab, DD away reset > FJ Uair to catch the jump are all good options, especially the last one if Fox is FJ OOS a lot.
Super keen for you to go through me v attila, feel like it has some good and bad moments from both of us (especially me lol).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ImBtlyN5c

unreon

Smash Ace
Just wanted to pop in here and say HUGE thank you to everyone involved who organised and ran this event to become as huge as it was. To be honest, I came along at the very last minute, changed flight details and even requested a day off on the Thursday prior to the tournament. It may be because of a recent tournament/Smash slump in general, and no longer knowing who all the new kids are, but I didn't come in all too hyped about the tournament.

Boy, did that change big time.

Best tournament ever. The level of organisation was completely out of this world. Never have pools run so efficiently and smoothly. I was playing games back to back to back and before I knew it, my pools were done (and I was out of the tournament, congrats to Skeletom and Polaroid. I felt disappointment in my performance, but I'll get you guys next time).

I regret not sitting down to just introduce myself to every single person there. It's a bit daunting to see so many fresh faces who seemed like they've known each other for months - and for someone who's socially been out of the Smash loop it's like being the new kid on the block again. (Who are these Perth guys? Wait, people from New Zealand are here?). If I met you and we chatted though, I probably liked you :)

Shoutouts not to people in particular, but moments I remember fondly:

- Melee Singles: winning 100% of games with Link, winning 0% of games with Falco. Time to make the switch for good.
- Fox/Falco setup with Haikal and Toshi: probably the highlight of games for me. Must have played for hours wrecking each other.
- Falco vs Fox 1hr friendly with Moxie: dude is real good, surprised I didn't see him go that far in bracket.
- 1hr friendlies with Karu: I was running scared after our friendlies. Your combo game rocked me hard.
- Seig and Tak: old timers who I haven't seen in forever but I genuinely love hanging out with on the odd occasion we do see each other.
- Ashley: who will never read this but I wubs her anyway
- PM Teams: I've never seen so much energy for Smash in one room since Cao vs Syke back in Robocob.
- SD/unreon vs Armada/Lucky in billiards: we never lose in pools. Team Australia prevails with justice!
- Watching Friday night Crews with Zorsy at the airport, and flipping our **** as Bu$ went for that ballsy Falcon Punch. I actually hit my head into the wall in excitement. The public turned their heads quizzically.
- Silent/Whispers-only 4am Mid/Low Tier Crew Battles in Room 402: THIS WAS THE MOST HYPE OF THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT. Grim's Ness soundly trumping Zorsy's Captain Falcon. Gord's Zelda with the 4 stock against DK (DIN'S FIRE ON GREEN GREENS BOMB BOX FOR THE KO OMFGOSHINGAPSFOJMAG), then losing only 1 stock against the next DK, falling only to SD's drunk Ness. Drunk Ness on Venom camping the Triforce out of Zelda for almost 10 minutes. SD not remembering a single moment.

I wish I lived in the Melbourne scene now. You guys have such a strong sense of community. We'll endeavour in Sydney in a concerted effort to do the same.

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
Alright, finally here is the commentary post-mortem.

This is the last work I'll do on this I swear. Will sort these in positives and negatives. I encourage other TO's to do this so we can get some insight to the running of the tournament and understanding how to improve. Or just chill. idc

Positives

Everything was commentated

This was mostly due to good planning ahead of time as well as great co-operation from all commentators. The prepared roster was great when I started to cbf by the end. Emergency fill-ins were more than ready when called upon.

Good commentary
Besides, my own commentary (see below), the commentary ranged from fine to really good. For me, the stand outs were SD+Cao (pros), Smopup (most natural), Shaya (stamina) and Max (versatility).

Good video quality
Besides the choppiness as a result of the internet (see below), the video quality was as great. Max's computer is obviously a beast. However, I'm not sure if the reliance on his personal set up is a wise thing. The perfect world solution would be for the community as a whole to buy a recording set up to use for streaming/recording. This would ideally include audio and video capture equipment. As its owned by the community, it can be used by anyone in the smash scene, thus relieving Max of having to bring and set up his PC every time we want to stream something. Alas, we don't live a perfect world, but perhaps we can achieve something close.

Interviews
I thought these were great and we needed more of them.

Crowd hype
Even though the mics didn't work as intended (see below), the crowd sound is amazing on the vods. Remember, even if you're not commentating, the sounds you make come on the stream. You can clearly hear Tak's laugh throughout the tournament. It is amazing. Please don't hesitate to bring hype.

Negatives

Mics were echoey or just plain bad
So Max and I had done several practice runs at monthlies with a regular stand alone mic. It worked reasonably well. A couple of weeks before SSV we decided head phones would be better. In hindsight, we should've tested them at a monthly. Audio issues were mitigated by commentators who talked directly into the mic, as opposed to vaguely into its direction. The best solution is to invest in some proper audio equipment.

Stream was choppy
Afiak, this was out of our control. Ali told me the wireless of the venue was shut off on Sunday as they felt it affected the stream. The only way I could see solving this would be getting some of that 4g but I think that money is better spent elsewhere.

Unplanned fill ins were constantly required
I don't think emergency fill ins could've been avoided but there were too times where there was I was desperate. Luckily they worked out fine thanks to fill ins like Tibs, Corpse, Skeletom, Forte, Sam, Hobobloke, X etc. The absolute worst was when I couldn't find anyone for Brawl doubles given all 4 my brawl commentators were in that. The solution for this is to either have a larger roster of back ups or have other commentators of different games fake it. Or perhaps not stream things that cannot be commentated on.

Crew battle commentary
It was initially envisioned to be a rotation policy of commentators on crew battles but I stuck with single commentators just to simplify it. However, crews drag on and sometimes commentators need to play anyways. For example, my commentary of NZ vs AUS was very same same. When SD came on the mic, it was a breath of fresh air. Having a rotation policy is the right way to go.

Slow to/didn't update scores/names
While probably due to me not teaching people how to do it, it is actually very difficult to keep any type of commentary flow going while typing the scores using our current set up. Simple solution is to get a second monitor and someone to man it, allowing the commentators to just talk.

Didn't utilize stream chat
The stream chat negatively impacted few commentators, me included. As a result, I started to disregard what they had to say and I ended up missing all their valuable feedback on the state of the audio and video. This happened to a few other commentators too. Again, a second monitor would allow someone to mod the chat so they're not so terrible, while getting feedback ASAP.

My commentary
I drank too much Friday night and then the dread zone happened. There is no solution for this.

Last edited:

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
One thing I'd just like to add about rotating the crew battle commentary in the middle of it is just to be a bit careful. Not sure if this was just me being bad or not but my commentary with you was like mostly **** talk, and then when SD came on he was a lot more proper and stuff which I found hard to adapt to. For example, I once noticed Armada shielding a lot in neutral at high % and said something along the lines of "ooh, it looks like Armada's getting a little scared" to which SD replied "Dude. It's Armada. He's not scared." Allgoods but it threw me off a bit, so yea make sure they build that synergy :)

Last edited:

Jamwa

Smash Champion
If only I had the chance to grace the stream.
I've got two new catch phrases:
  1. Well Met!
  2. Well Met!
Someone link drunk joey pls or at least give time reference i am very keen to hear this

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
Having successfully disposed of Adam's body, time for some shout outs!

Everyone: SIIIIIIIICK weekend!

TO team: AHHH so many people, so little time! Soooo smooth! Too sexy

Dekr: Omg pls choke? too good.

S.D: redeemed tournament loss with Miles impersonations. If this journalism thing doesn't work out, considering becoming an impressionist thingo.

Redact: Omg i hate your couch. 2 hrs sleep ew. Sick efforts though. Enjoyed spending heaps of time with you because of the internationals. Pls get me job.

Miles: No regrets teaming. GET WRECKED QLD. Also, thanks for losing the important MM. Stop working I miss you

QLD: Need to reunite in Gords' room again. Get DEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSTRROOOOOYYYYYED by bilbo though

Phrase: It's okay i think you're good. Playing you is tops. Your dark intensity belies some serious jokes.

Jeremy: Sick clutch wins to make bracket! Love your smile ;) PS Boobs

Joey 2: Pls get car and get me back for lifts :). Always happy to help a brother out though, you deserve it for being top

Tak:

Dreadtech:
Dread zone!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM BILLEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:
YOU'RE SO ****ING GOOD D00D! You're welcome on my floor all the time.

ARMADA: "****ing abusers". Also, you're number one in my heart <3. Best guest, even better than billy

Joey 1: Dude, going to socal to drink beers with you sounds like the greatest holiday of all time. Also, I'm rooting for you against everyone but adam

Attila: AAARRGGHHH. You might be trying now, but I'm going to try smarter and harder. You're first on the list, but far from the last.

NZ: thanks for having me in your room. Doubt any of you even remember though lol!

HoC: HOC! ILY

WA: Way to back up the talk! Might be biased, but would love you guys to get the melee going and really show us up by beating us at our own game

Jamwa: treat them mean, keep them keen. Defs love you. Don't let uni get in the way of smash next time!

Atticus: Thanks for beating up on me for like an hour in straight fox dittos. definitely helped my thinking about the game.

Meredy: I think that set was actually less close than last time :p. Keep building up the tech and you'll get there

Pools: might have played a bit funny, was super sad after being eliminated. GGS though, tried to try my hardest the whole time. needed to play good

JKTS: Stop doing bad stuff and then I won't be better any more :)

Hughie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIPfQ-HtYeM

NSW: Pretty sure you guys are amazing.

Everyone I talked to was soooo good. Legit had 0 bad conversations. People always sick company while getting food/drinks.

ME: I love cameras I take great photos

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Pretty sure the amount of embeds riddled throughout PCG's post classify it as ****posting.

But seriously, you CAN'T kill the THUNDAAAA, but if you notice from the video he actually can scam himself out of the win.
It fits all too well with the way in which we lost I threw doubles. Next time the THUNDAAAA will make sure the only people that get scammed are those who rise against it.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Shoutouts to Hannah for the amazing food she made for everyone that came over to mine at any part of SS.

Still trying to make a refund happen for the dud flights. Might be down $1200 if I get nothing good out of this (I got no chance of taking them to any dispute resultion service as its a swedish only company I booked through)

Stay peeled for Redact fundraiser V2 if that's the case lol

S.D

Smash Master
All because Adam's name is too long? What a croc of ****.

@ Leeyam Leeyam sorry for throwing you off kilter, I was actually slow to adjust to the crew battle tone which definitely requires some **** talk. Although commentators need to bounce off each other, even if it's in disagreement (which is always the case in rivalry crews anyway!) Either way you did a good job on the mic, as did everyone :)

@ SpeedyJ SpeedyJ sorry we only got to play once! Same with Kelots. Hopefully I can come to New Zealand sometime and get some more game time wit everyone.

Super keen for you to go through me v attila, feel like it has some good and bad moments from both of us (especially me lol).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ImBtlyN5c
As this is the only vid request already up I'll start with it. Max has given me some ideas on software so as long as I can get my headset etc working I should be able to do something tonight or tomorrow, stay tuned.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah I'll chuck a shoutout to Hannah too, those burgers were tops, thanks heaps

Hardpelicn

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0447-5409-6382
Money Matches:
1. Chappos vs Redact, Project M, Bo5, $100.
2. Chappos vs Splice, Project M, Bo5, $10
3. Chappos vs PCG, Project M, Bo5, $10
4. Chappos vs PCG, Melee, Bo5, $10
5. Chappos vs Mytus, Melee, Bo5, $10

Sidebets:
Vlade - $50 on Chappos over Redact, taken by Blue2ez
Caged - $50 on Chappos over Redact, taken by Phrase
Smopup - $50 on Redact, taken by Hobobloke
DD_ - $50 on Redact, taken by Corpsecreate
Corpse - $100 on Chappos, $50 taken by JKTS, $30 taken by 1am%, $20 taken by PCG
S.D - $20 on Redact, taken by sundowns
Mytus - $10 on PCG for Melee, taken by Noied

Over $400 in sidebets, this **** will be hype.
There was more than this wasn't there?

woodsta

Smash Apprentice
I had 50 with 2 different people ;_; Don't know their names though

EDIT: one was caged as it says above

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Corpse - $150 on Chappos, taken by Forte4Tei
Noxus - $50 on Redact, taken by Corpse
Jon - $100 on Chappos, taken by Noxus
Vlade - $50 on Chappos over Redact, taken by Blue2ez
Caged - $50 on Chappos over Redact, taken by Phrase
Smopup - $50 on Redact, taken by Hobobloke
DD_ - $50 on Redact, taken by Corpsecreate
Corpse - $100 on Chappos, $50 taken by JKTS, $30 taken by 1am%, $20 taken by PCG
Dice - $50 on Chappos, taken by Kansho
S.D - $20 on Redact, taken by sundowns
Mytus - $10 on PCG for Melee, taken by Noied
Dreadtech - $50 on Redact, taken by Corpse

That's most of them. Any other bets you clowns were making was either mad late or via PM or something

kelots

Smash Cadet
i got nfi how to play this game properly, pull the game of me vs splice in crews apart haha (its the only one on stream) :D

kelots

Smash Cadet
NZ: thanks for having me in your room. Doubt any of you even remember though lol!
Course we do mate, drinking whiskey until the sun comes up is what we do best. Thought you were gonna fall asleep on the floor for a while there hahaha

Some of the funniest convo's that night man my ghad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom