• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
But please, know your limits Espy.
In all honesty, I'd pick something MUCH more modest for a Sonic cosplay. In fact, my idea of a Sonic cosplay wouldn't look like Sonic at all, since I actually have a sense of dignity.

I'd probably wear an accurate representation of his shoes, but I'd overall wear a shirt that's the same color as Sonic's stomach, while wearing either a blue jacket or a blue pullover with similar blue jeans. And maybe...maybe fingerless gloves, if I really wanted to be "kinda" accurate.

And no headgear...except MAYBE that Sonic hat me/Speed/Camalange own. Of course, I'd also wear some other shiz too. My Sonic wallet of course, and I'm saving money to make a custom dog-tag shaped like Sonic's head.

See what I mean?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Seems like everyone got stuff for Christmas.

Well, I asked for nothing and got nothing. Sometimes there are more important things. People get way too hyped over material possessions. Hey, what's the deal with that? What happened to just getting high on good old clean life? Maybe enjoying life, looking at a rainbow or sitting underneath a waterfall, enjoying a big glass of scotch. Or enjoying a pack of cigarettes on a hot summers day. What happened to those simple pleasures? Did they die with the dinosaurs and the tyrannosaurus rex?

BSP

Smash Legend
I didn't get anything either. But, I didn't ask for anything either, so that is probably why. I still enjoyed Christmas anyway, because as Chis said, there are other things to enjoy in life.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
What happened to just getting high on good old clean life? Maybe enjoying life, looking at a rainbow or sitting underneath a waterfall, enjoying a big glass of scotch. Or enjoying a pack of cigarettes on a hot summers day. What happened to those simple pleasures? Did they die with the dinosaurs and the tyrannous rex?
I started getting high on life a few years ago. All the commercials made it seem cool. It started with a giant lollipop here, rubbing a puppies tummy there..before you knew it I was up to three parasailings a day. I knew it hit rock bottom when I hit rock bottom on a spelunking adventure with my scientist friend and his dashing bodyguard.

And it's Tyrannosaurus you yutz.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i'm not religious, but i celebrate christmas. lol

it's moreso because it's family tradition, been doin' it since i was born. the gifts are a bonus

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the only thing that irratates me is that people refuse to do/get anything nice for me simply because theres not a day specifically designated for it

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
nope, i dont pretend to be christian at all lol

i always deny being christian. christmas is obviously the superior of the winter holidays, so i celebrate it xD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

Well, I asked for nothing and got nothing. Sometimes there are more important things. People get way too hyped over material possessions. Hey, what's the deal with that? What happened to just getting high on good old clean life? Maybe enjoying life, looking at a rainbow or sitting underneath a waterfall, enjoying a big glass of scotch. Or enjoying a pack of cigarettes on a hot summers day. What happened to those simple pleasures? Did they die with the dinosaurs and the tyrannosaurus rex?
Did you copy pasta that? Either way, I agree.

I didn't get anything either. But, I didn't ask for anything either, so that is probably why. I still enjoyed Christmas anyway, because as Chis said, there are other things to enjoy in life.
This.

I didn't ask for Christmas presents (except a Dazzle, which will help me so I don't have to be constantly bickering Tails to upload matches for me... if that's greed, then I don't know. I haven't gotten the Dazzle yet.), so I'm not disappointed. In fact, it's a good surprise if you do end up getting something... I know I was happy when Tails got me a Sonic Wallet and a Gameworks hat that has the mascot himself.

I'm talking about this.

Browny

Smash Hater
ok chis u seriously didnt write that yourself.

enjoying a pack of cigarettes on a hut summer day, big glass of scotch? how old are we all? lmao.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
smoking's bad for your health, yo

and underage drinking? for shame

Luigi player

Smash Master
I just played with Sonic and did a standing grab while sliding the dash distance.... does anyone know anything about it?

I'm not sure how I did it... and couldn't save the replay =/

Edit: I guess it was just turning around while running and grabbing at the ending frames...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Soooo, what characters does Sonic have a reasonable chance of out-camping-like-crazy on Jungle Japes?

SoPo is hopeless.

I think we have pretty solid odds against Marth too.

What about DK? MK? D3?

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Soooo, what characters does Sonic have a reasonable chance of out-camping-like-crazy on Jungle Japes?

SoPo is hopeless.

I think we have pretty solid odds against Marth too.

What about DK? MK? D3?
I was actually thinking the other day while playing my friend that JungJapes is an amazing counterpick against ice climbers, falco, dk, and like a majority of the cast. Snake would be easy to outcamp here, just hit and run to the far end. His nades will be tossed your way, but most will end up in water. And falco, when he hits the water, he's dead. Its such a good level, the water kills a lot. Sonic's spring is amazing for getting out of the water, so i figured it would be a pretty good counter pick to use when playing with sonic against someone else. Sure, there isn't much room to run around, but there's a lot of room to hit and run, then hope the opponent hits the water. It's just too good.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. yes falco is almost broken on japes, espy is the only one ive seen beat a falco on that stage.

2. camping snake on JJ assumes that you get the lead first, at which point you put snake in a situation where its hard to hit you, although he can still hit you his array of projectiles. whereas if snake gets the lead and decides to camp YOU, he can run to one side of the stage, and as far as sonic goes hes rendered pretty much unapproachable.

3. Springing immediately out of the water will just get you killed. the proper method to getting out of the water, is to jump and immediately side b. It will counteract the water momentum, it will move you back toward the stage, and you still have your second jump so you can jump cancel it and spring after anytime you want.

4. sonic has a lot of movement tricks on JJ, and hes one of the most survivable in the water (You basically have to hit straight down from the ledge on the left side, to not survive using the method I just gave you.) but its also a massive stage which takes away from his already lacking kill power, and if the opponent forces the fight on the right side of the stage you arent getting any gimps any time soon.

5. "but there's a lot of room to hit and run, then hope the opponent hits the water. It's just too good."
Thats called skilless, luck based winning and mindsets like that are the reason people want the stage banned. and when you look at it like that, you have just as much of a chance to get klaptrap screwed as the other guy.

6. ROB and lucario are also both characters that you shouldnt CP to this stage.

7. DK has a lot of broken techs on JJ, dont take any good ones there.

8. Good people that know the stage dont die from the water or the klaptrap

9. Overall, its a really good stage for sonic, you just have to alter your game slightly and pay attention to the character you are fighting against

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Come on kid, you know what i mean with the "but there's a lot of room to hit and run, then hope the opponent hits the water. It's just too good." Of course there's skill involved, read between the lines man, dont take it so straighforward. I thought my posts were usually too long anyway, if i started to explain everything i meant in detail i'd go on forever. I'd expect most of the sonics on these boards to know what i mean without me explaining to the T. By the word "hope," i didn't mean leave it to luck, if that is where your confusion stems from.

As for springing, I also use the side b to jump technique!! I follow it up with a spring asap, just in case. Usually i try to spring BEFORE i hit the water tho. Sonic is left with the spring falling animation, but it's better than hitting the water on the left side. I play it extra safe on the left anyway, and ive never had a problem with water drift in this level as sonic. And ive never, ever died from klaptrap in Brawl (tho in melee, i always did, don't know why..).

As for falco, i can see how he could be broken. I give my japes experiences based off of a friend i play frequently who mains falco. And he's very skilled, boost pivot grabs and SHDLs and all that. I beat him on japes more times than hes beat me, and that's because i use the water. As soon as he's offstage, i keep him that way. Maybe it's cause i know the way he plays well enough to avoid all his falco spams, i don't know. I gave what ive seen in my experiences. Falco dies easy in japes water, esp on the left where he has to use firebird (not phantasm) to recover from a lower position (which is why he can't use phantasm). Easy gimps. But when i play as falco, i also use japes as a choice stage, chain grab --> dair is pretty amazing here and that's prob why people say he's broken here. Plus camping lasers.

Oh and as for the right side, obviously the level itself is short on the right, so easy KOs on the right (for both players, as KID would like me to say). If they go into the water, follow them and drift with them, and pop up with them, then hit them again. As long as you play it safe (don't let yourself go too far to the left) you'll be fine. It's a pretty good strategy that's worked for me in the past and it's impressive! Also, sonic is still quick enough to cover the ground and air while the opponent is drifting toward the left in the water, so you can easily catch up to him and push him further toward the left edge (gimps, or be there waiting for him when he hits the ground). Sonic's speed makes him good for the level, even without a long, flat running plane to play the dash and grab game.

Sorry for confusing anyone i confused.

Oh yea, now someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i played a friend's olimar here the other day and he got wrecked due to pikman drowning (except blue) and drifting. As soon as he hit the water, he never made it back. But that's the only time ive played oli here so i can't say for sure on that.

Never played ROB here, never played a decent DK or Lucario here, so no input on them.

I really, really like this stage. Along with poke stadium 1, it's my favorite. A good, good sonic level, even without the large running area.

Ahh, forgot to mention ice climbers. No experience with them here, but i was thinking it'd be pretty good to get them here. The water would bring out sopo cause of easy nana deaths, but someone confirm since my exp doesn't lie with icees.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
A day early for new year's Eve, but I suppose I might as well come out.

I promise to defeat every powerranked Vegassmasher where it counts going all Sonic with their main character(s), to make a name for myself in the West Coast, win a singles tournament, and to defy and recreate the matchup ratios for Sonic where he needs help in.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i'll still never play on japes with sonic, lol.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I could try fighting jS's DK with Sonic on Japes to see what it's like, but uhh... my Sonic is complete trash, :) and jS has a good DK. Wish I could help though!

Edit: I can see Sonic potentially outcamping Wolf on Japes. Not sure if he really can though. I've had a Samus outcamp my Wolf there on the left side (Still won, but so annoying >.<). That left side is scary for Wolf.

:058:

Top Bottom