• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
I think I need to take some time to really evaluate myself as a player. I know I'm good, but I let my past accomplishments, smaller as they were, get in the way and my expectations were not met in the process.

This isn't about my pride as a Sonic player and being recognized for such. For me, I think I need to look at myself as a player, and don't think of who else makes it out or not when the going gets tough.

Whether that means I stay with Sonic or not, I'm not sure. Knowing me I'll stick to what I know best and just keep on fighting with Sonic.

I thought I was ready for APEX, and I almost was. I just need to discover what's holding me back and unlock that. Once I've done that... I'm not sure where it'll take me. I want to come back to APEX, go to the next Genesis, but I may have to hold off on all of that until I know for sure I've hit the next level.

I still wanna be the level of player that people like X and Espy have gotten to, but like all of us, there's still a lot to learn.
This is a good mindset to have. I only progressed past my thought plateau once I conquered my ego. I looked past wanting to be recognized and fighting for recognition/talking myself up, and instead just practiced to continue improvement. People never stop learning.

:phone:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
SEGA's getting momentum for 2013. Project X Zone is getting localized, and they just bought THQ's Relic division (the developer of Warhammer 40000K) at auction.

Stack the rumors of the next Sonic game on top, and 2013's looking to be a roller coaster ride for them.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
So it's like Dissidia but with Capcom, SEGA and Bandai characters in a turn based game? Seems pretty cool.

Unrelated -
I hate THQ for abandoning Homefront. That game had promise to be a great FPS.

My roommate finds interesting videos... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXYxZ6ed70E

Share some with me Kupo. plz. :applejack:
I'll post that over too!

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
SEGA's getting momentum for 2013. Project X Zone is getting localized, and they just bought THQ's Relic division (the developer of Warhammer 40000K) at auction.

Stack the rumors of the next Sonic game on top, and 2013's looking to be a roller coaster ride for them.
Rollercoaster usually means up and down lol

but yeah, seems like it' gonna be a really sweet year.

that guy's japanese ezio

True Blue

Smash Lord
I hate myself sometimes... I just found out about a series that I was on the DS and that I wanted to get into and found out it is only available in Japan. NOOOOO!!!!

And sounds good Kuraudo. Though fun thing is that my only strive to get better is to get known and respected as a good player. Because in all honesty if I wasn't doing that then I wouldn't care about winning cause I like to have fun playing this game and winning is never my priority to have fun lol.
But whenever I think of expectations I don't try to look at players I just look at the character and think of there expectations and attitude and try to play it out how the character feels should be played.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I hate myself sometimes... I just found out about a series that I was on the DS and that I wanted to get into and found out it is only available in Japan. NOOOOO!!!!

And sounds good Kuraudo. Though fun thing is that my only strive to get better is to get known and respected as a good player. Because in all honesty if I wasn't doing that then I wouldn't care about winning cause I like to have fun playing this game and winning is never my priority to have fun lol.
But whenever I think of expectations I don't try to look at players I just look at the character and think of there expectations and attitude and try to play it out how the character feels should be played.
I just try to have fun, its strange to think I've grown bored (or somehow I feel guilty?) of playing with Sonic despite accomplishing nothing, but I prefer to use other characters most of the time. I went half sheik this past weekend and had a blast. Brawlman rocked my socks and I really feel how tough it can be for sheik. Brawlman was not having any of my nonsense with Fox either. I still haven't found a character I like using against Sonic.

I also went Falcon against Jnig and sadly it did not work, but I felt it was more entertaining than when I went Sonic.

I'll still be using Sonic though, I can't think of anyone else I'd want to use against MK and every time I face an MK I feel more sure about that. I played Lee Martin and lost 2-0, but I did nearly take game 2. I was up an entire stock then he really took control, but I don't blame Sonic for that.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I just look at the character and think of there expectations and attitude and try to play it out how the character feels should be played.
You mean like how the character would play themselves?

Like, Sonic for example, going with the wind and having it be "all about speed"? I feel the real Sonic might HA and nair a lot with good reflexes if that's what you mean.

If Mario did that they'd probably footstool alot (with him being jumpman) and it'd be funny, and Shadow would get the item to slow time down like "time break" and short hop bair silver.

True Blue

Smash Lord
^TB that was hippie talk, I didn't even get it, lol

Yea probably. I kinda lose track of what I say when I type a bunch at once. Especially since I don't reread it cause I may delete it lol.

I just try to have fun, its strange to think I've grown bored (or somehow I feel guilty?) of playing with Sonic despite accomplishing nothing, but I prefer to use other characters most of the time. I went half sheik this past weekend and had a blast. Brawlman rocked my socks and I really feel how tough it can be for sheik. Brawlman was not having any of my nonsense with Fox either. I still haven't found a character I like using against Sonic.

I also went Falcon against Jnig and sadly it did not work, but I felt it was more entertaining than when I went Sonic.

I'll still be using Sonic though, I can't think of anyone else I'd want to use against MK and every time I face an MK I feel more sure about that. I played Lee Martin and lost 2-0, but I did nearly take game 2. I was up an entire stock then he really took control, but I don't blame Sonic for that.
Well whenever me and friends play for fun we end up just choosing random, but when it comes to tournaments I gotta represent that True Blue Hedgehog. lol

You mean like how the character would play themselves?

Like, Sonic for example, going with the wind and having it be "all about speed"? I feel the real Sonic might HA and nair a lot with good reflexes if that's what you mean.

If Mario did that they'd probably footstool alot (with him being jumpman) and it'd be funny, and Shadow would get the item to slow time down like "time break" and short hop bair silver.
Yea Basically.
But sometimes I get caught up in the tournament and loose "myself" and I don't play the way I should be playing.
But moments like when Ryo and I played the first match against Ally and Trela was a bunch of fun and me kinda being care free. Which is why I taunted near the end lol. Though kinda lost that flow when i suicided and got to worried about letting my teammate down and losing and junk and stuff fell apart.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
That's cool, but Sonic would have faster reflexes lol.

Snake would probably trick Wario into forefitting somehow and Wario would break his controller.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'll probably start doing that too. It feels laughably easy facing Sonics offline with MK, but I still have much to learn.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
Do it Tesh, I could use the extra MK Practice.

Edit: Oh, and I might just start using Snake on Sonic, since I more or less know the ins and outs of that MU about 99%. From the Sonic side, and thus know what works for Snake and what doesn't against Sonic.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I think I need to take some time to really evaluate myself as a player. I know I'm good, but I let my past accomplishments, smaller as they were, get in the way and my expectations were not met in the process.

This isn't about my pride as a Sonic player and being recognized for such. For me, I think I need to look at myself as a player, and don't think of who else makes it out or not when the going gets tough.

Whether that means I stay with Sonic or not, I'm not sure. Knowing me I'll stick to what I know best and just keep on fighting with Sonic.

I thought I was ready for APEX, and I almost was. I just need to discover what's holding me back and unlock that. Once I've done that... I'm not sure where it'll take me. I want to come back to APEX, go to the next Genesis, but I may have to hold off on all of that until I know for sure I've hit the next level.

I still wanna be the level of player that people like X and Espy have gotten to, but like all of us, there's still a lot to learn.
Drop Brawl, pick up Marvel, BB, Tekken or PSAS and play them extensively until you develop a new mindset and then take what you know from those games and apply them to Brawl. I seriously got better at Sonic from playing PSAS. I treated Sonic's Fsmash like a Lv.1 super and I didn't use it until I knew it would hit. Alot of times I ended up getting kills with Bair or Uthrow because Fsmash opportunities never presented themselves.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Kinda odd but I found myself doing really good in FPS when I stopped playing Brawl. Not sure if it had anything to do with that.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I hate playing the Sonic MU. I cringe because my eyes and mind can't keep up with the high speed.

I just go Yoshi and grab, Jab, and Bair everything.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
You know that's a really good idea actually. Though I do extensively play BlazBlue on the side. Funny enough I've been playing through Kingdom Hearts 3D (just beat that) and am now going through Birth by Sleep. Whether it's a break from the game or not, I just gotta reassess myself one way or another.

True Blue

Smash Lord
You know that's a really good idea actually. Though I do extensively play BlazBlue on the side. Funny enough I've been playing through Kingdom Hearts 3D (just beat that) and am now going through Birth by Sleep. Whether it's a break from the game or not, I just gotta reassess myself one way or another.
YEA! KH3D! Lol I am playing it right now. At the end of Riku's and finished Sora's already. Birth By Sleep is such a good game. Terra is difficult. lol

"The only player I consider my rival currently is Meek" --Salem

0_o
I kinda would expect that. People who play each other a lot. Same thing Ryo said about me at a local tourney. The person who can test you the most is the person who knows a lot about you as a friend......
Like Sora and Riku... Why is Kingdom Hearts popping up everywhere for me now... lol

Favorite Sonic move?

Mine:
:applejack:
OMG! I love that! lol!

I have had that save me on so many random occasions. Actually I think at WHOBO4 during the teams match that happened where I dodged one of Ryo's up smashes on Delfino while everyone else got hit. lol

True Blue

Smash Lord
If you know, what's your record against Ryo? (Not just in tournament)
He has a lot more wins against me but that is cause I can't play serious all the time. Hurts my brains. But the times I do win are something special. But then he knows me a lot too which benefits him more cause I don't memorize people.
Though if I had to give a percentage I think it would be something like Ryo 60-75% and Me 40-25%.
Something along those lines, but our matches always get very close.
I just suck at getting the final kill. Which is my problem in general, can't seem to push myself that final leg to get the win.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Try doing this TB:

Do NOT use bair. Ever.

Seriously, try playing a bunch of games without using it. It forces you to rely on other tactics to tack on the damage, and makes you play far safer than you would if you just threw out a bair to push a player away. I find that my KO power goes through the roof if I've managed to avoid using it for entire stocks.

Next thing you know, you have a fresh bair and they're at 140%. It's a free KO as long as you push a player to the edge of a stage before landing it.

The best part? If you get the stock lead, go nuts and spam that crap all the time. It'll add up damage and give you good set ups. It's a win win because if you manage to add a ton of damage to them and net the KO again before dying, you have a TWO stock lead. If you get knocked out before, then you have that fresh bair and they're at KO percents.

The end result is that you start learning how to play as a Sonic that's incredibly safe in his approach, knows how to add damage without using his number one KO move, and is frustrating to pressure when you drop a stock to him. It's amazing. :applejack:

Top Bottom