• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

BSP

Smash Legend
Rob is easy to be juggled and to be shield poked with. Watch out for ground game cause he will outrange you with his tilts. And even though his moves have slow start up in the air it is usually best to just wait for the move to come out and punish accordingly. Unless you want to take a chance on getting burned by some boosters. Seriously. I run into Nairs ALL day, just because I feel like I am quick enough to punish before the move comes out. It's the M2K syndrome, lol. But forward air comes out the fastest from his aerials. And up air tends to eat through a lot of attacks so don't try to get at him from directly above. And they can't air dodge out of Up B unless they throw out an attack. So bait accordingly lol. And I think that's all I have.
But a question i am wondering that I hope someone can answer. When ROB first shoots out the Gyro can you catch it?
OR

I could go :falco: :)

I believe you can catch the gyro when he first shoots it. Why would you not be able to?

infomon

Smash Scientist
well ok, I was making stuff up. but now I've got something planned, and I need data.

where the heck is Sonic's frame data?
I need for:
1. spinshot (earliest and latest possible inputs, in case there's a range) -- for both side-B and down-B
2. how many frames does side-B have before the shield can come out
3. footstool (i.e. is there a frame gap between jump input before a footstool can happen? Does it depend on the jump (SH, FH, 2nd)?

where's a kinzer when you need him
or for that matter, a Tenki

:054:

True Blue

Smash Lord
What?
Explain yourself. :applejack:
well ok, I was making stuff up.
And that's why I shrugged it off. Lol

OR

I could go :falco: :)

I believe you can catch the gyro when he first shoots it. Why would you not be able to?
Well just checking cause I wasn't sure if maybe when he first shot it, it had some properties that prevent you from grabbing it like the Bob-ombs that Peach pulls out. But my item control is bad so can't tell from my gameplay lol.

And yea YOU can go Falco but I just don't trust my other characters like I trust my Sonic.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482
I just don't trust my other characters like I trust my Sonic.
This is the problem I have with bringing new characters in tourney, I just don't feel like I can win without Sonic for some reason regardless of the MU. I've got an ok :marth:, :mario2:, and maybe even a :snake: that I want to bring into tourneys but just don't. I can play them in friendlies all day tho lol.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
For those branching out, I say try your new characters at smaller tournaments or monthlies or something. I know I went all Ike at one tourney and actually did pretty well. I also have a backup Fox and Wario. But for all of my tournaments lately I've been going all Sonic.

Hmm...the characters I play competently?? Let's see...

:sonic: obviously. :wario: :ike: :metaknight: :mario: :fox: :yoshi:

Asides that? I don't know there's probably more I can competently use. But just branch out at small tournaments or something. Really put in the work. You'll never know until you try and no one would fault you for it anyway in learning a new character.

True Blue

Smash Lord
The problem with me though is that I look at every match up and I look at my Sonic and I go "I know he can win, he has the capabilities. That Chaos Factor. His whole match up against everyone is like constant 'What If' questions." So that's why I don't like going other characters. Cause I know my Lucario is decent, my Falco is well... Falco, nothing special there. Falco is easy to play. lol.
But yea. End result I just play Sonic all day.

Oh and the occasional MK cause I like doing MK ditto's against MK mains cause I get to Drill all day. That's like MK's coolest move. lol

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
well ok, I was making stuff up. but now I've got something planned, and I need data.

where the heck is Sonic's frame data?
I need for:
1. spinshot (earliest and latest possible inputs, in case there's a range) -- for both side-B and down-B
2. how many frames does side-B have before the shield can come out
3. footstool (i.e. is there a frame gap between jump input before a footstool can happen? Does it depend on the jump (SH, FH, 2nd)?

where's a kinzer when you need him
or for that matter, a Tenki

I can work on this for you infzy. I did all of sonics grounded normals and have been slacking on doing his specials. Message me on here or on aim (Scourge093) and i'll see if i can help you out.

:phone:

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I learned my lesson a LONG time ago. Always play with what makes you happy and will have no regrets. If you'll regret using sonic go another character. My passion is 2 be the best Sonic and win a National Tourney. Regardless of if I'm actually abloe 2 do it or not ill NEVER regret not trying. But go ahead and use another character... I jus can't wait 2 get better and Beat you with Sonic.

:sonic:

Tesh

Smash Hero

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
I learned my lesson a LONG time ago. Always play with what makes you happy and will have no regrets. If you'll regret using hsien-ko go another character. My passion is 2 be the best Hsien-Ko and win a National Tourney. Regardless of if I'm actually abloe 2 do it or not ill NEVER regret not trying. But go ahead and use another character... I jus can't wait 2 get better and Beat you with Hsien-ko.

:hsienko:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the mindset of a Hsien-Ko player.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm LOVING the vids TESH!!! I'll be watching ALL of them thoroughly

Wow both TESH and BSP are legit :)
Really? you like watching me look competent against people that aren't using their mains?

Most of these are from a mid tier side event. Lucky for me I beat the guy who took out the scary sheik mains for me.

I really wish I had done better in Loser's Finals. I lost games 1 and 4 solidly but I had no excuse for losing game 2 when I had gotten him that close to death and failed.

guys i cant seem to use the down b spin shot. side b is easy enough. i dont know if mabye im doing it to early or if im doing it too slow. are you not supposed to charge down b more than once?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Hit downB, hold down on the control stick, and flick c-stick either left or right. It's the easiest, fastest way to spinshot out of downB. :applejack:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I had no idea Spinshot could be used out of Down B on the ground. I've always thought it could only be done in the air.

TMYK.

Tesh

Smash Hero
You can't down B spinshot on the ground. Thats just an instant spindash jump

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Tesh, you have this bad habit (like most Sonics) of trying to Spindash your way back to safety and you get hit out of it repeatedly. Also, DON'T challenge Fair. Ever. If you see that bright *** spark, move. Ill would float towards you and pressure you with that ish and you'd get scared and start shielding or you'd try to challenge it. The risk isn't worth the reward. Just get out of the way and try to reset the situation.

Best bet in this match-up is to just poke at her a bunch. Outright offense doesn't work because she can out-prioritize all of Sonic's offense and that's the last thing you need. Honestly, just play Sonic like Chun-Li and just poke and turtle.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Hunnid-P is being called back in by SEGA to work on music again. Last time he was there was to compose Knuckles's theme in SA2.

Wonder what's up? A remix of Unknown from M.E.?

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
Or hopefully it's a new theme for knuckles which will be used in whatever new sonic game they working on. Hopefully it's SA3, i say this because usually a new installment in a series arrives after the remakes and SA2 is suppose to be coming out soon for XBLA and PSN though they haven't officially announced it yet.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Really? you like watching me look competent against people that aren't using their mains?

Most of these are from a mid tier side event. Lucky for me I beat the guy who took out the scary sheik mains for me.

I really wish I had done better in Loser's Finals. I lost games 1 and 4 solidly but I had no excuse for losing game 2 when I had gotten him that close to death and failed.
The sets were interesting... I was basically learning what u did right and wrong. The only reason you lost games 1 & 2 were because you were rushing to kill. Other than that you were pretty legit.

LMFAO @ Wedge... Bair & pray... So much truth

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
WedeWallin', thinking back on last Saturday, I probably would have took that set off the peach had I done so.

Really wish it didn't start 8hrs later than expected, and I had wanted to play brawl still :p

infomon

Smash Scientist
I can work on this for you infzy. I did all of sonics grounded normals and have been slacking on doing his specials. Message me on here or on aim (Scourge093) and i'll see if i can help you out.

awesome thx
really if I could just get that framedata then I can happily conclude that my ideas are trash

BSP

Smash Legend
Does anyone else not dash dance and dash dance pivot much with sonic? I know they're really good for confusing the opponent, but I hate doing them often.

BSP

Smash Legend
D1aos told me he doesn't use it much either. Alright, it's good to know others do well without much use of it.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its a stupid, pointless technique that just increases your chances of tripping. Its outclassed by proper use of your other movement and stop options.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Does anyone else not dash dance and dash dance pivot much with sonic? I know they're really good for confusing the opponent, but I hate doing them often.

I do them alot, mainly as a mix-up to bait a response then use a punish/approach like pivotgrab/dash attack, or when I'm air tech chasing.

As for the tripping rate, honestly it doesn't seem to matter whether you DDP or not, the likelihood it adds to your chances of tripping is pretty much negligible.

Personally, I trip a ton, but that seems to happen regardless of whether or not I bother to DDP.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Negligible? Using any other method to run in one direction then the other is 2 chances to trip. With DDP is 3. Thats 50% more and it adds up if you use it often.

The matches I've seen of you recently you DDP alot and I don't see how its useful at all compared to just shield or screech stopping.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Negligible? Using any other method to run in one direction then the other is 2 chances to trip. With DDP is 3. Thats 50% more and it adds up if you use it often.

The matches I've seen of you recently you DDP alot and I don't see how its useful at all compared to just shield or screech stopping.
Exactly how recent? (If you're mentioning anything before June it wasn't recent enough)

Further more it's not 50% more overall, it's only 1% chance per dash lol, that's negligible.
Unless you're doing 70+ dashes or dash starts per match you shouldn't be worried about high odds of tripping imo, if you trip in front of an opponent that's just bad luck, has little to do with whether or not you DDP'd.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Just this past weekend, man. From 2% to 3% is exactly as negligible as tripping being in the game at all (from 0% to 1%). Sure if you trip during a DDP you can tell yourself "oh i probably would have tripped anyway", but the more you gamble, the greater chance you have of losing/winning.

Brawlman1000

Smash Ace
NNID
Bman1K
3DS FC
2981-7986-9482

I do it all the time just cause it looks cool. :p

Top Bottom