• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
First tournament coming up Sunday. What should I do to prepare?
What Oreo said. But before that, prepare yourself mindset wise...make sure your mindset doesn't interfere with your gameplay. Its really rough on you :c

Have you prepared your mind for this engagement?

Yes Kuraudo, i totally jacked this avi. I liked this christmas one better. You're a fan of Ragna? I'm one too. :3
Pls say Blugna da bes. All blue Ragna is pretty top tier, you know?
:sonic:

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Playing as sonic is quite frustrating. Everytime I use a down-b or side-b to attack my opponent just side steps it and punishes me. Sonics tilts are not exactly the best moves to be using. Most of the time I only can get a hit in by weaving around like an annoying bee. I still get a win or two, but it is quite difficult.
are you mixing up side b down b with shield cancels? Also try going for stupid stuff like grab punishes, run away and come back after they get up and do another attack. Sonic has really good run speed and you can punish alot of stuff out of just plain old running away or up to them and punishing any kind of delay. Try waiting in some situations too if you cant get inside and either bait or wait for a mistake and close the gap.

also what infzy said

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@ complex,

the first and by far the most important thing that you have to know going into your first tourney, is that you are going to suck

hard.

youre going to kill yourself for no reason, you going to mess up almost every move you try, and youre going to be highly upset with yourself.

all this is going to happen mainly because youve never had to deal with the nerves of playing an important match with something on the line. most people crack under that pressure in their first tourney or two.

as long as you accept that thats going to happen, youll have a lot of fun and want to keep showing up, to show people what you can do when you arent actually dropping your physical controller due to nervous johns.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Adding on to D3's post.

InCom, work on DDPs. I just got mine down. Foxtrot > tap forward after the foxtrot and then tap back. Work on those and if need be work on it on wifi. Get in the habit of faking people out and punishing whiffs.

Tesh

Smash Hero
So Tesh, are you still using Sonic or are you experimenting with other characters (going by your icon changes)?
I tried to play smarter vs Olimar. I watched Espy vs Rich Brown and like....Espy was just bairing him so much I didn't get it. I tried that and....it didn't work. Putting in some practice understanding the character didn't help nearly as much either. I guess I just need to be patient and work on my gimp game.

To answer you question I'm still all Sonic. I'm going to go Ganondorf next time I face Denti or Zori though.

First tournament coming up Sunday. What should I do to prepare?
Run away, then when they chase you turn around and hit them.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Zori told me you were trying to camp him, while he was in the lead. Tesh, you're giving up on a match-up that is fairly doable. Just focus on being patient. Olimar is indeed a pain, but he is beatable. You have to be smart about every move you make and make it count. Train the Olimar into doing what you can dance around. If you think you can get him to throw out fsmash and grabs, do it until you can space yourself properly for an ASC. When you get Olimar off his feet, try your hardest to pressure him. Force as many landing mistakes as possible and if all else fails, if you have the lead, run your *** off.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I wasn't trying to camp him. I was just trying to stop myself from rushing in and getting ***** really fast. Trying to beat patient, which worked wonders against everyone else I faced (cept when I overdid it).

I'm not giving up on the matchup really, I honestly always have preferred to just go Ganondorf against Olimar. My biggest problem is clearly that I just don't know how to punish his moves or get in. He could be mashing buttons and I still wouldn't know what to do. With that said, he CLEARLY knew what to do. I guess it just isn't clear to me where and how to punish.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I wasn't trying to camp him. I was just trying to stop myself from rushing in and getting ***** really fast. Trying to beat patient, which worked wonders against everyone else I faced (cept when I overdid it).

I'm not giving up on the matchup really, I honestly always have preferred to just go Ganondorf against Olimar. My biggest problem is clearly that I just don't know how to punish his moves or get in. He could be mashing buttons and I still wouldn't know what to do. With that said, he CLEARLY knew what to do. I guess it just isn't clear to me where and how to punish.
If you have Skype, I'll help you via wifi.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think the reason Espy gets away with all his bairs is that he's really good at pulling them out just out-of-sync with when the opponent expects them; like he'll run past them a bit, then shorthop fastfall bair.
Most Sonics bair at reeeeally predictable times. Which still works a fair number of times, but it's better if you can find a way to manoeuvre around them but still have the bair come out right off-time from when they're ready for it.

*shrug* that's probably all useless rambling

Tenki

Smash Hero
You say you're going to help him.
And then you want him to play wifi.
The two don't add up.
Wifi isn't completely useless.

Assuming both people are trying and are attentive, you can improve a bit by just trying to read moves.

It'd good enough to pick up patterns and playstyles, if the connection isn't too bad.

My general rule is to not pay too much attention to moves that hit when the opponent is either running/walking/standing/freefall, since I assume they "could have shielded" or something. If you get hit, think about whether or not you would have gotten hit offline - as in, would you have been able to read that move?

I think the reason Espy gets away with all his bairs is that he's really good at pulling them out just out-of-sync with when the opponent expects them; like he'll run past them a bit, then shorthop fastfall bair.
Most Sonics bair at reeeeally predictable times. Which still works a fair number of times, but it's better if you can find a way to manoeuvre around them but still have the bair come out right off-time from when they're ready for it.

*shrug* that's probably all useless rambling
nah, that's true for any char. Even MK's F-air isn't all too good if you're in a position to guard and punish against it.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
Infzy, I generally agree with your statement about bairs. I got a lot of bairs off in my couple of matches at my last tournament due to mixing up ascsc and sdc/rsdc and just dashing into shield and then reading their reaction and either jumping up and throwing out a bair or grabbing them. The flashy shield and cancel **** helps land bairs.
My edgegaurding was mostly me doing sdc at the edge a ton and then bairing instantly one they get close.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
You say you're going to help him.
And then you want him to play wifi.
The two don't add up.
Through Skype chat, I was gonna talk to him and show him his options against Olimar by picking Olimar and doing the stuff that Olimar does to stop Sonic approaches and such.

I just space bairs over and over, walk away and then bair again. For some dumb *** reason it works. Like they drop their shield and I plant one right in the snotbox.

NH Cody

Smash Champion

youre going to kill yourself for no reason, you going to mess up almost every move you try, and youre going to be highly upset with yourself.
This is totally and completely false. For me at least. Like 30 people told me this would happen when I went to my first tourneys (my first one was a melee tourney and it went terribly, but I never made a huge mistake or SD'd other than getting combo'd and not being able to do anything at all to fight back. btw melee is ******** for this reason lol). However, when I went to Apex, of all the dozens of people I played, and the hundred or however many matches I played, I never SD'd once besides when I played Big M in pools. Ironically, the MK was the only one against whom I SD'd, which was the match in which I needed my stocks the most (:glare:)

and also i really enjoyed my first few tourney experiences. People told me I was "pretty good," "better than they expected me to be," "good with the tech skill," etc. So...telling him he's going to be upset with himself is a bit much. For all we know he'll do fine and enjoy just seeing everybody and playing the game he loves.

Life

Smash Hero
The help is all appreciated. I've come to terms with the whole "I'm a noob and I suck" thing, I think, and I'm doing what I can to work on techskill. Need more people to play tho. Wifi helps but it only goes so far.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I remember my first Melee tournament, and my first Brawl tournament.

In Melee, got 3rd and then 1st in doubles, made my money back with about $40.00 profit.
In Brawl, got 5th. No money, but I went toe to toe with some of the bigger names in Texas at the time, so that was one hell of a pick-me-up in and of itself.

:p~

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I remember my first tournament, Phase 10.

I had to play Trela round 2. It was not a pretty sight.

Then I played Dphat in losers. Got 3-stocked twice, easily.

Nonetheless, I had fun and got Super Mario Lands 1 and 2 while I was there. A really fun day.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
my first tournament was MLG and my first tournie match was against richbrown

lol how do you think i felt complex?

Savon

Smash Ace
My first REAL tournament was this past June at my local NOM tournaments. I got Hyro (This beastly Toon Link player) early on in the tournament and got my arse handed to me on a platter. I played a friendly against Lee Martin later that day and he 3 stocked my Snake taking only like 67 damage.....it was one of the best days I ever had.

Tenki

Smash Hero
My first tournament was a 11 man dorm tourney, and I got first place, playing Hyperthehedgehog (? apparently Umby knew who he was).

My second tourney was a 30+ person campus-wide tourney, and I got first place. Notable there was Ama(m/t) / Tong, and I ran into him in the middle of the tourney. Rest of it was a smooth ride. The last match was a Snake, but I had played wifi forever leading up to this point, and played Ally and other Snakes once in a while - so it was ez mode :troll:

best on block status.

My first for-money tourney was a tourney in a game store and I got killed by BigLou and got 7th.

In subsequent tourneys, I'd lose to either lou or zomB; In more recent campus-type tourneys, I've been knocked out by 4GOD (d3) and Micaelis (dk), both ranked, if not notable players I think.

I haven't gone to a for-money tourney in over a year though :(
:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
He's pretty cool.

Last semester, I heard of a brawl tourney at a freshman dorm, and not having played for a while, I was like "lol free win~" and crashed it. It was a double elim tourney and I played him (and lost) first round.

I was like wtfwhoareyou!?

I basically spent all the matches in losers' bracket trying to warm up again, and almost took grand finals vs him, and lost in the 2/5th in the second GF set.

I ran into him on the bus the other day and he told me he got like 33rd ish in one of the recent MLG's. I should try to set up some play time vs him some time lol.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
My first tourney was...in september lol. I got ***** in friendlies, then I faced a falco that beat me in friendlies. He beat me 1 stock mid percents first, then I got sooooo close to gettin him. But for some reason I forgot the range on falco's f-smash and got hit by one I saw comin, I thought I could move back and f-smash for the ko but nah, I was dumb lol. He got me 1 stock SUPER high percentages :facepalm: I was ok at first, but when I went to sleep I felt terrible. Then in losers I faced Vermanubis. I thought oh yay a ganon, then I was like wait whaaaaaat? Verm? That nasty ganon? The one I always watched on youtube? wowwwwww cooooooool. As you could guess I got pooped on. Two stocked me on Yoshi's...yes Yoshi's. Then again on some other stage. So I got like 17th with a bye.

It's kinda weird cuz I only sd'd in my last tourney, against Verm. Like twice though, I think my first sd was at like 90% second stock, then the second one was maybe last stock like 10%. Idk, but I got two stocked on Yoshi's again and then I cp'd delphino after he banned fd. He did say I improved though, I kinda felt like I did too cuz we actually weren't too far apart % wise until I sd'd. I think I took a lead for like 15 seconds and I was like :awesome: but then he killed me :urg: haha. Oh and JJ-Wolf wrecked me after a 1 stock mid % win on sv. Then he got a sweet read on Delphino and spiked me through the stage lol. Eh whatever, it was still fun. (btw is Delphino a good place for Sonic? I like that stage but idk if it's even any good)

tl;dr I'm bad :sadeyes:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Delfino is not bad, but not necessarily good for Sonic either.

It's more on the lines of "other characters are better than Sonic on Delfino" as opposed to "Sonic himself sucks on Delfino."

:093:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
/ignores ALL of this

Yo Speed, most delayed response ever, but go nuts. I can make more Christmas icons too. Hahah.

Also, I play with either normal Ragna, white Ragna (with blond hair, a DLC color), or the brown-coated one with blond hair.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Yeah I didn't mean to go all "angry paragraph" on you but I just don't like people telling other people they'll fail. Especially when that person's name is Inferiority Complex. It's like taking all their self-confidence away and basically dooming them to lose :urg:

Mindset really is a HUGE factor, IMO. If you go in there saying "oh efff...I'm gonna get beat" then you probably will...lol

Tesh

Smash Hero
Spike you, score kills with bthrow-dash attack on walkoffs, not get gimped super easy by stagespikes.

Life

Smash Hero
Quest--relax, bro. I'm not depressed or anything. Just picked this name 'cause I'm bad at the game (and that rhymed). Thinkin' when I get a little money I might go premium for a name change. Probably when I first place in the money. Or sooner. It depends.

Also, fun fact--I had a brief exchange with Speed due to my username when I first signed up, before I posted anything. I was amazed.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Okay, good. Good luck at that tourney, beat the fools who don't have a clue how to fight sonic. And I guarantee 80% of them won't. lol

Also be very proactive in your first tourney matches. Remember to space, watch when they're about to attack and shield it, don't get predictable, learn their habits and use the info against them, etc. You might even want to cheat a little and watch how they play in friendlies beforehand.

I failed to do this at Apex (where it really mattered) and so I was beat pretty badly in most of my matches :ohwell:

Learn from my mistake.

Savon

Smash Ace
It really breaks my heart how bad the recent sonic games have been. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was effing amazing. After that it only went downhill. They need to stop trying to do all of these gimmicks with the sonic games and just make a good game. Sonic Adventure 3 please. I do not understand why Sega has not done a standalone game involving raising chao. That stuff was like crack. Just saiyan

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What the Hell is Sonic '06?

Sonic Heroes was an okay game though. I didn't exactly like how I had to play the same game four times over, but it wasn't bad enough to keep me from
fighting Metal Sonic as the Metal Overlord and kicking his butt as Super Sonic and Co.

Everything after that and before Black Knight (and wasn't handheld) was a disaster, or slightly below average.

Top Bottom