• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

M-Wolf

Smash Apprentice
If I was Trent, which I'm not, then why would I message myself or even make a new account in the first place? See if Trent would just pop in real quick and say something...

Oh hai hai.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm still trying to figure out if it was Trent getting last at Brainshock Alpha that gave him the desire to quit.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm still trying to figure out if it was Trent getting last at Brainshock Alpha that gave him the desire to quit.
... I won't claim to speak on his behalf, but I heard he forfeited. He didn't get last because he lost/got bracket-@#$%ed/did abysmal. Assuming that to be true, something else had to happen before to make him lose his will.

Psychology, babes.

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Text convo:

KID:
Ive heard things from other people but id like to get it straight from the horses mouth.
Why exactly did you quit brawl?

Trent:
I feel like Im at my peak and can no longer improve. I suck at reading. Wasting money.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I heard from Y!nk that he had to play DLA (the guy he teamed with for the event) 1st round because someone goofed and DLA wasn't put in the bracket like he should've been. He then lost to DLA and forfeited to Y!nk.

"I feel like Im at my peak and can no longer improve. I suck at reading. Wasting money."

Is an illegit excuse. There is always room to improve. If you're bad at reading, get better at it. DLA is ridiculous at reading because he can't kill with Ganon unless you get a read. Especially against Sonic. He read a roll as I was running past him and I was shocked by how 2nd nature it was. You think Espy/Speed/X/KID/ITT/Shugo/Malcolm got to where they are/were at on just mindgaming kills? Mindgames stop working and you have to start reading. Quitting over 1 thing that minute is lame.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I'm not. Trent actually messaged me earlier and mentioned a tournament.
Here was the last message I sent.
If I was Trent, which I'm not, then why would I message myself or even make a new account in the first place? See if Trent would just pop in real quick and say something...

Oh hai hai.
Trent can easily make that account, log in and send you that message then log out then sign in as Trent, read the message, respond and so on and so forth but I still think you are Trent till I see you in person.:glare:

I heard from Y!nk that he had to play DLA (the guy he teamed with for the event) 1st round because someone goofed and DLA wasn't put in the bracket like he should've been. He then lost to DLA and forfeited to Y!nk.

"I feel like Im at my peak and can no longer improve. I suck at reading. Wasting money."

Is an illegit excuse. There is always room to improve. If you're bad at reading, get better at it. DLA is ridiculous at reading because he can't kill with Ganon unless you get a read. Especially against Sonic. He read a roll as I was running past him and I was shocked by how 2nd nature it was. You think Espy/Speed/X/KID/ITT/Shugo/Malcolm got to where they are/were at on just mindgaming kills? Mindgames stop working and you have to start reading. Quitting over 1 thing that minute is lame.
I agree with you on that one, your not Mew2king mofo, players has always room to improve for as long you have the drive to. Also If I see you at a tourney, we need to play each other and I can beat you in PKMN son.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Oreo it takes more then words to reach someone.

You have to let yourself become better thru your own ingenuity and creativity.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I can sympathize with Trent on the reading block actually. Though not being able to shouldn't stop you.

:stupidfox:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I think the problem is that we've grown so used to getting people to do dumb **** to get kills. Sonic's whole schtick was being able to make people **** up and leave themselves open. Once people stopped falling for the silly stuff, it became a hassle trying to kill people. Run behind Fsmash only goes so far if you haven't somewhat trained people into spotdodging when you run straight at them. The reading block only comes from not learning how to read people in the first place.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You'd be surprised at how well words will work.

I'm always trying to improve. Whether it be with Sonic or another character. I'm not gonna let 1 small flaw in my game keep me from playing.
I'ma have to take Excel's side on this.

You have no idea where people will get their motivation from. I know that one of the biggest for me is knowing that I'm not alone in my pursuit. It wouldn't matter to me if I were the undisputed best Sonic in the world if I weren't admired for getting here, or not having anybody to challenge my position.

Trent, if you're reading this, this is silly. Unless life is legitimately getting in the way, please reconsider and let us help you. None of us are perfect, and that's nothing to be ashamed of (I'm not saying you are). We all hit hard times, and quitting when there's so much left to be investigated into ourselves is not the answer! :(

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
You'd be surprised at how well words will work.

I'm always trying to improve. Whether it be with Sonic or another character. I'm not gonna let 1 small flaw in my game keep me from playing.
Its not necessarily about words, more like quiet reflection.

Small flaws is what makes you lose an already up hill battle in brawl, mounting frustration from other elements in life can take its toll.

Tho i'd rather trent speak for himself imo

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
I'ma have to take Excel's side on this.

You have no idea where people will get their motivation from. I know that one of the biggest for me is knowing that I'm not alone in my pursuit. It wouldn't matter to me if I were the undisputed best Sonic in the world if I weren't admired for getting here, or not having anybody to challenge my position.

Trent, if you're reading this, this is silly. Unless life is legitimately getting in the way, please reconsider and let us help you. None of us are perfect, and that's nothing to be ashamed of (I'm not saying you are). We all hit hard times, and quitting when there's so much left to be investigated into ourselves is not the answer! :(

He's right dude, just dust yourself off. I only went to one tourney so far and guess what happened? I did ridiculously bad. I stood in front of a falco charging f-smash, while I thought I wouldn't get hit by it, that cost me the set. Then in losers round 1, Vermanubis 2 stocked me...twice...one was on yoshi's. I felt like I couldn't get any better than I was then, but I realized that because I lost I obviously could get better (well I could try to get good lol). You haven't peaked yet dude, I don't think anyone has. So uh yeah, come back lol. I usually try learning from vids of your Sonic and it'd suck if you left, and as you can see most of the Sonic boards would miss you.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I'm upset trent would quit after doing bad at a tourney saturday, it happens to everyone :/

from what I can tell he's pretty good, never been able to play him though, just seen him around quite a bit at various tourneys

Browny

Smash Hater
Wow @ you guys

If trent wants to quit and doesnt feel like explaining in great detail, then have the decency to respect his decision and stop jumping to your own conclusions.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Whether its good or bad, Trent made his decision. He did bad, the game is mentally taxing on him, and he doesnt feel as though he's improving. Why continue to go through that?
Wow @ you guys

If trent wants to quit and doesnt feel like explaining in great detail, then have the decency to respect his decision and stop jumping to your own conclusions.
You two have to put yourselves through the shoes of somebody who is frustrated.

Though don't get me wrong, Trent's case is unique, and his problems; only he can solve.

Nobody is saying otherwise.

But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with making a suggestion.

Afterall, we're nothing more than strangers, or loose acquaintances. It's not like any of us are holding a gun to his head and telling him "you're gonna keep playing whether you want to or not."

... But at the same time, until he comes here and tells us what exactly is frustrating him, all any of us can really do is tell him what we think would be the best course of action, and/or hope for the best. Until that happens, people who want to get worried will do so because it's an uneasy feeling you have when you feel like you can do something to make the situation better but you don't know what.

Obviously some of us are concerned and I think to not say what's on our mind would be doing him and ourselves injustice.

Also I think until he goes out of his way to say "Leave me alone" there's nothing wrong with this.

Argh~. >_<

I refuse to sit around and let somebody give up on themselves. I live by the philosophy that to lose hope in oneself is a fate worse than even death. To me it's like a corpse that doesn't know it's dead when all purpose is lost.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Lets be real though. All he did was quit a 3 year old children's party game.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
A 3 year olds' party game that has a rather large community, power rankings in each region, and prize winnings given at tournaments.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I just finished watching that TMNT movie Turtles Forever.
I nostalgia'd all over my keyboard.

It was too good.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
back to the trent thing.

I think there is a MASSIVE aspect to this that EVERYONE is missing.

Not to throw people under the bus here but theres 2 people that illustrate my point perfectly.

TKO and Allied.

Both of these players are... Not high level. They dont win anything, they dont place high. and until recently most people would have classified them both as mediocre, if not bad.

Yet, can you name a regional or national tourney on the EC that these two havent been at? I bet you cant. But why would people travel all that way and spend all that money to go to tournaments where they KNOW that they for all intents and purposes, dont have a shot in hell of making any of that money back?

The social aspect of smash is more important than anything else. Honestly i feel like if you are going to quit smash solely because you arent getting any better, than your smash community blows. Out here where I am, even the worst of the scrubbiest people show up to every tourney? because they like coming out and hanging with people that theyve formed strong connections with and have similar interests with. That comraderie goes far beyond just a video game, and that more than most other things is the real reason why people keep coming back. and if that isnt enough then people at your tourney are doing it really really wrong

Pikapika is probably one of my closest friends. Sure hes a tremendous D-bag. and a massive hater, but if i was going into a fight, or a tense situation, hes one of the few people that I know would always have my back. Even if he would never outright admit it. And I met him by getting repeatedly blasted by him at smash tourneys and being a total jerk about it. but one time, he invited me to come out and eat with them after a tourney, and it just went from there. If you dont have bonds that come from playing the game like that, Im not surprised that he would quit over something so menial as 'i havent gotten better in a while.' I mean even bio. Bio is straight garbage at this game, but as far as I can tell he loves the people and community so much he still shows up to every event and even sets up streams for most of them.

point is, its not about how much fun youre having with the game, its about how much fun you have with the people you play the game with.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i heard you kids up north already had a full blown blizzard

we just got powdered down here

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
What's snow?

All Oklahoma's had cold-related recently is that crazy ice storm back in winter '07. Everything froze, from the water wells, to the trees, to the power cables, everything. It was as if nature decided to turn Oklahoma to Diamond Dust Zone or something.

Made for some beautiful photography though.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
What's snow?

All Oklahoma's had cold-related recently is that crazy ice storm back in winter '07. Everything froze, from the water wells, to the trees, to the power cables, everything. It was as if nature decided to turn Oklahoma to Diamond Dust Zone or something.

Made for some beautiful photography though.
we've had ice before where you could walk outside and the WHOLE DAMN TREE is just BATHED in 1-2 inch thick sheet of ICE

its pretty amazing

Tesh

Smash Hero
**** my life...

People wonder why I hate Pictochat.
It was horribly gay how that spike popped up on top of you during your SDNair combo, but why why WHY did you go back for seconds?

Also I lol'd after watching the whole match carefully. Pictochat is improving your gimp game already. I'm just gonna delete the shorter video now that the full vid is up.

You full matches are up, cept for the Luigi vs Snake one, why did you send me that junk?

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
At least 5" of snow in Scotland, and it's still going. Nearly had an accident driving to uni yesterday <_<

[collapse="picture of my garden"]

[/collapse]

You full matches are up, cept for the Luigi vs Snake one, why did you send me that junk?
I think Oreo has a habit of not checking of what replays he sent.

Top Bottom