• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Tenki

Smash Hero

Cmon really? The kinect is obviously not being used by him. He's just sitting down like that to make people think the kinect is weird. Someone else is using the kinect and the camera isn't on them. That's all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbLOFGSEDo#t=2m30s
The thing on the side that says
"Rockin and Rollin!"
"Boostalicious!"
etc

They play snapshots during those moments in gameplay.

Also,
TheBlueYoshiGamer
1 hour ago
not fake, tried it myself and worked​

Tenki

Smash Hero
The kinect won't show in the pictures, as it is the one taking the pictures.

though, if a kinect could photobomb, i'd totally get one.

The pip video on the upper left was taken by his webcam, and the pictures shown at the end of the video were taken by the kinect.

Browny

Smash Hater
Its pretty obvious its real xaltis...

The car takes the exact same path every time while always turning at the same rate, youd be pretty hard pressed to get that sort of consistant path while trying.

Sigh... the Kinect sums up everything that is wrong with the video game industry at the moment. You know how people endlessly complain that brawl was dumbed down to cater for a wider audience than melee ever did? Its the same thing but on a much bigger scale. Watch as some of your favourite game franchises as ruined by this. I REALLY dont like where things are going atm and Kinect is going to make things a lot worse :/

/hate

Xaltis

Smash Hero

The car takes the exact same path every time while always turning at the same rate, youd be pretty hard pressed to get that sort of consistant path while trying.

Sigh... the Kinect sums up everything that is wrong with the video game industry at the moment. You know how people endlessly complain that brawl was dumbed down to cater for a wider audience than melee ever did? Its the same thing but on a much bigger scale. Watch as some of your favourite game franchises as ruined by this. I REALLY dont like where things are going atm and Kinect is going to make things a lot worse :/

/hate

Tenki

Smash Hero

/hate
But the thing is, catering to other audiences doesn't have to be exclusive (that is, either one OR the other). It's perfectly possible to continue a game's legacy while making OTHER games to cater to the people who don't normally play games. I follow the blog of a certain person who I guess was an "ex-gamer" who "returned" to console gaming because of the Wii. He complains about how Nintendo continues trying to push for 3D Mario even though 2D Mario is more popular/fun. One point he brought up once was that it's not that he thinks 3D Mario should die- it's just that they shouldn't forget to make a 2D game once in a [shorter] while.

In the same way, I just think they should try working with new franchises when they make new games - sequels should probably carry on their predecessors' likenesses closer than they have been.

BSP

Smash Legend

/hate
I don't get why Nintendo did that. I didn't know anything about techskill, wavedashing, or all that competitive stuff and my friends and I enjoyed melee a lot. I actually think it's better for partying since it's 100% very high pokeball matches are a lot more intense and C Falcon is better in every way.

I don't think anything was "wrong" with melee really. They could've kept it the same and satisfied both casuals and competitors, but no.

And....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ER1zpg_F4

Browny

Smash Hater
But the thing is, catering to other audiences doesn't have to be exclusive (that is, either one OR the other). It's perfectly possible to continue a game's legacy while making OTHER games to cater to the people who don't normally play games.
Except... They dont.

Point-in-case, games franchise I used to love to death, Battlefield and DotA.

Everything is designed to cater for people who dont want to put effort into games yet get maximum rewards and leaves people who want more out of a game feeling ripped off. With battlefield, the game was toned down so heavily that you can unlock all weapons and run around with the most powerful guns within maybe 100 hours. Tactics were so deep and varied in the older BR games yet they are removed for the more popular run-and-gun style so everyone can do really well just by pointing and clicking first. And DotA, now almost completely superceeded by LoL, a game which removes some of the most critical techniques which made DotA possibly the #1 competitive PC game in the world. 2 of my favourtie game franchises are no longer the same and are pretty much dead to me now.

Theres a different effect you dont see. These games which will be dumbed down for the kinect and any extensive motion control/dumbed down will sell TONS. They will smash normal games something terrible because the audience for people who care about epic games like Metriod prime, MGS etc are horribly outnumberd by those who want a 'quick fix' of gaming. Now companies, being run by humans, what path are they more likely to take? Make a half-***** game with little depth and sell 10 million copies, or put a lot of effort into something really epic and only sell 5 million?

Yes those AAA titles will continue to be made like Fallout NV etc but they are so few and far between and even then, these best games are often limited to < 20 hours of actual gameplay because whats the point in doubling the effort put into a game when you sell the same amount of copies? Companies will divert half of their resources to the kinect and forsake their best titles' quality in order to make more money. Sure I should probably respect that decision from a management point of view, but in terms of the future of video games in terms of quality, I'm legitimately worried.

---

This is probably brought about from me hearing that Golden sun dark dawn is quite an easy game and that really pisses me off, I've been looking forward to it for so long and I dont want to breeze through the game on auto-pilot because tactics are void in favour of spamming summons etc.

/rant

Tenki

Smash Hero
Theres a different effect you dont see. These games which will be dumbed down for the kinect and any extensive motion control/dumbed down will sell TONS. They will smash normal games something terrible because the audience for people who care about epic games like Metriod prime, MGS etc are horribly outnumberd by those who want a 'quick fix' of gaming. Now companies, being run by humans, what path are they more likely to take? Make a half-***** game with little depth and sell 10 million copies, or put a lot of effort into something really epic and only sell 5 million?
@ motion controls:
Part of why the Wii was such a hit was because it brought back the chance for people to play the games they loved in their childhood (virtual console)- the other part was that the motion control gameplay was something so completely fresh and new that people just HAD to try it. People who aren't interested in playing gray shooters or thinking about stats were like "whoa, what's that?" and played it. Wii Sports was easy to pick up, different, light and fun. Instant party hit, etc.

In that respect, Wii sports will probably be the best (selling) motion control game.
Ever.

Motion control isn't as exciting and fresh as it was in 2006, and Sony/MS are mad slow on that. What makes Sony or Microsoft think that HD-styled Wii games will sell? There aren't going to be many people as enticed by it. Sure, Wii Sports' tennis was basically like a Pong3D, but that's still a much more significant leap than playing motion controlled sports on Kinect/Move. Why would people who already have a Wii (ahem, largest install base) want to buy a Kinect/Move?

Software.

Kinect has the best possibility of pulling something new (...Dance Central?), but at the moment, there's no killer app for it. Milo was cool, but that was just a test project, I guess, since they killed it. As I can see, there won't be an equivalent (in shock and awe) to Wii Sports, and people will probably go back to making what they're good at.

You can already see it with the Wii - devs are running into dead ends when it comes to trying to make motion controlled games, and they end up just finding some random action and assigning it to a waggle lol.​

@ dumbing games down:
Ah well. It's a tragedy of the birdmen in the industry. "we have to strip games down because they're too hard for casual gamers!"

If kids are casual gamers, then boy, those casual gamers in the 90s must have had some kind of innate talent since so many of them can play games like nobody's business nowadays lol.

Also, it might be a problem with developers who are wannabe movie directors. If they want you to go through what they believe is their epic story, they'll probably want to make sure you go through x section in the stage, to pace you with automation, to watch y cutscene.

It has to be easy enough for you to watch their masterpiece.
FF13OtherMetc

Good games should probably make you want to spend more than 20 hours playing them.
But those 20 hours shouldn't be you watching cutscenes :<

Ah well, that's what the indie scene is for.

:093:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Why don't they just have an EASY mode? Bayonetta and God of War were pretty tough at times on hard mode, but easy mode, you could mash buttons and feel good I'm sure. I remember reading that new super mario bros wii had an "autoplay" mode that would play stages for you and you could take over when you felt confident.

Generally the dumbing down of games is why its difficulty for me to ever find single player experiences challenging anymore. People always find new ways to win unless the game is ridiculously shallow (like water warfare).

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Personally if the game can potentially support an auto-play mode then I don't see why developers don't implement it more often. It gives them the opportunity to make a game difficult enough for the hardcore like us to be satisfied, while newcomers can progress through the game as much as they're comfortable with.

Browny

Smash Hater
But spamming summons was always the best way to go. lol
Well sure vs random mobs that was the best, but vs bosses on hard mode (the super bosses like Sentinel, Star magician etc) who would kill your team before you even attack because your entire party has no speed and defense coz all the djinn are on standby, it didnt exactly work :p

Also tesh its not as simple as chucking in an easy mode, all enemies have 0.75x health, you have 1.25x etc. Theres gotta be a legitimately hard challenge which is made harder by the game actually changing.

Like ME2/DA:O for example, the difficulty change didnt actually change anything, it just meant you had to spare your ammo better and hide more. It should be like Perfect dark style where increasing the difficulty changes what enemies appear, mission objectives and enemy accuracy :/

Tesh

Smash Hero
In bayonetta, increased difficulty removes witch time, enemies are smarter, faster and more aggressive. In very easy mode it has autoplay, where you basically get to watch cool stuff happen and interact with it.

God of war though was a simple health and damage difference though. The toughest parts were the puzzles and that didnt change on easy anyway.

SOCOM always moved 2ndary objectives into the primary section so if you skipped them the first time around it was a new challenge.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I think a ton of it has to wtih asthetics.

back in the genesis NES era, the graphics where absolutely terrible, and the devs had to work with 8 bit music and single d pad/2-4 button controllers. Because of this they had to do something to keep people playing the game. This thing ended up being crazy difficulty and/or extreme length (supplemented by the fact that 95% of games back then didnt have any method of saving. Imagine sonic 4 or sonic colours and you had to beat the entire game in one sit down because you couldnt save. that alone would add tons of difficulty and length to the game.

But nowadays the devs dont have to make the game exceedingly hard (unless they want to) because they can get people to remember the amazing looks and sounds of the game. Especially since replayability is a huge factor for us as gamers but its essentially meaningless from a business perspective for the people who make the game, because if they can get the graphics to make you buy the game then whatever happens afterwards isnt too much of their concern other than getting you to buy possible sequels.

not a great thing for us as gamers but yea, thats how it is.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
A game making you start from the beginning like Sonic 1 doesn’t make it hard, it just makes playing the game exceedingly irritating and not worthwhile.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I worked 2-7:30 this morning.

I was sad that I missed a fight that broke out.

Im also upset that the only people that were in the stores that early were the straight uggos. like all the attractive people got to sleep in and sent the butter faces in to do their dirty work.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Imagine sonic 4 or sonic colours and you had to beat the entire game in one sit down because you couldnt save. that alone would add tons of difficulty and length to the game.

I did it. In eight hours. That was going out of my way to get some Red Medals/S-Rank/Sonic Simulator.

I bet I could beat the entire game in 3-5 hours.

Still a good game though.

A game making you start from the beginning like Sonic 1 doesn’t make it hard, it just makes playing the game exceedingly irritating and not worthwhile.
Couldn't you just punch in a button input if you felt like starting on any zone?

Also, has been doing it right this whole time. God I love frame data.

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero

back in the genesis NES era, the graphics where absolutely terrible, and the devs had to work with 8 bit music and single d pad/2-4 button controllers. Because of this they had to do something to keep people playing the game. This thing ended up being crazy difficulty and/or extreme length (supplemented by the fact that 95% of games back then didnt have any method of saving. Imagine sonic 4 or sonic colours and you had to beat the entire game in one sit down because you couldnt save. that alone would add tons of difficulty and length to the game.

But nowadays the devs dont have to make the game exceedingly hard (unless they want to) because they can get people to remember the amazing looks and sounds of the game. Especially since replayability is a huge factor for us as gamers but its essentially meaningless from a business perspective for the people who make the game, because if they can get the graphics to make you buy the game then whatever happens afterwards isnt too much of their concern other than getting you to buy possible sequels.

I don't think it was the aesthetics more than the arcade quality/arcade value of games.

Games are becoming less arcade-like and more movie-like. Even if you couldn't finish games, each stage had the potential to be fun. Even if it was repetitive, here come the bad guys, gotta get rid of them, or something like that. You were trying to get the high score, for example.

The audience didn't give a **** about your main character's story or anything like that (and honestly, it's only certain otaku-type people, 'hard core gamers', who do now). With arcades, you didn't want to hold the player just standing there doing nothing, because otherwise you risk making them lose interest in the game. Back then, when games were games, everyone played - women played pacman, women played tetris, etc.

Fast forward to now when you have wannabe movie directors making games, and you have less of the arcade-y hook and more of the "i need to make this easy enough for people to see my glorious cutscene". And you also get long, corridor games like FF13.

Part of the reason why I think FPS and multiplayer games are so popular is because they can be pretty arcade-like - you can actually 'lose' and such. It's weird, because people treat games like it's such an artform that it can become inaccessible and dry.

:3

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599

the thing that makes me the MADDEST is this whole "let the game play itself for you"

i died a bunch on a DKC returns stage today and the game asked me if it wanted me to play the level for me

WHAT THE ****!?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its a nice feature that lets them appeal to everyone with screwing over the people that want a challenge. You don't have to accept. I never did when God of War asked me to switch to Easy Mode.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i never did either

DKC returns is pretty fun tho i cant say many bad things about it

Top Bottom