• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You and me both, KID.
I got people asking me what the difference was.

I think we should just at the very least provide a more compact version of the DownB/SideB thread that briefly explains them while avoiding as much detail as possible.

THEN after that explanation is done, go into the deeper mechanics of the moves.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I am, and always was, perfectly fine with Tenki's thread.

It's well written, perfectly clear, and has all the information you would ever need about those moves.

(un)

also lol@that match, KID.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Don't worry, I'll be fine, Rick.
Zangoose will make sure of that. :>
I don't trust Zangoose
I just don't know Espy - it was such a Whirlwind romance for you guys - and I'm not talking about no bird pokemon
sweet lord that was terrible

Please just get checked out to make sure its nothing serious (although it probably is). Hell, maybe the Pokemon center will do it if you both go in together
Now that would be wierd...

Also whats with all the Blaze in this thread? She sucks as a playable (key word there guys) character in every game she's been in :c

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Also whats with all the Blaze in this thread? She sucks as a playable (key word there guys) character in every game she's been in :c
I pestered Speed in getting an avatar of Blaze/Zangoose
He got one, Espy took the avatar as well
Trent followed too

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Blaze appears in Sonic Colors DS. Along with **** near every main character post-Adventure not named Emerl, Chip, and Gamma and the Babylon Rogues. But they aren't playable, just there for Side Missions. Every one of them has voice clips as well, Blaze included.

Could brighten Blaze fans' day.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Blaze probably had the smoothest controls in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. LOL

lawl.

I think I have to agree with this.

shadow was the best main character. but blaze was a smidge better in terms of speed and attacks.

But in the gameboy/ds sonic games blaze was really good I thought...

infomon

Smash Scientist
hmmmmm does he get all his jumps back???

It would be fun to corner a D3 into a position whereby his only option is to repeatedly up-B into our grab :bee:

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
no DDD will not get his jumps back if you grab him out of his upb--YOU CAN ONLY ARRIVE TO THIS SITUATION IF DDDS FEET ARE NOT TOUCHING THE GROUND.

Theres a couple of characters in brawl when if you grab and AIR release them out of their upb they will NOT get it back.

I'll list them here;

G&W upb (speed hug and watch for aerials, or side b)

Snake upb (he will DI toward stage and C4 himself)

Yoshi after he uses second jump (speed hug and watch for egg throw)

Sonics upb (speed hug, watch out for fair/uair as he DIs to the ledge)

Lucario (speed hug after release, in the event he upbs to wall clings and you grab him out of the wall cling jump he also does not get his upb back)

Pit (speed hug after release, watch for aerials/arrows)

*Solo Popo (he can use his upb and side b to try and get back. And will most likey side b out of the air release. However since hes alone the AR puts him in a perfect spot for edge guarding. I definitely recommend AR popo out of his jumps/upb.)

*Diddy Kong upb doesn’t work, but you should grab him and AR him out of it. As it’ll force him to either side b or jump. And you can AR gimp him out of side b. (Heres the trick. If he uses his side b and DOESN’T KICK, you can AR him out of it and he’ll be forced to either 1. Second jump 2. UPB. Get the read and follow up. So what happens if he uses the kick in the side b animation? He goes into the special lag animation. Where his arms stick out and his toes curve in. He is helpless in this animation. IF YOU GRAB him out of side b and hes done the kick in the animation HE WILL NOT GET HIS UPB/SIDE B BACK!! Speed hug the ledge immediately after the AR. He cannot do anything to you. If he has saved his second jump after he gets the AR he can still use it so beware! In the event he grabs you out of his side B, smacks you with it, run back to him and grab him in the delay. You’ll get the same effect as you would if you grabbed him out of the kick part of the special. Again, dangly feet = AR so make sure you grab him over the ledge!!!)
It would be fun to corner a D3 into a position whereby his only option is to repeatedly up-B into our grab :bee:
this is what happend to me in my match vs mike haze. I was very careless about not saving my jumps. Wont let that happen to me again. DDD should save at least 2 jumps in the event hes in a bad situation.

As per your question i honestly cant say if sonic can force DDD to be in this position. You'd have to take a look at what type of grab you need to use, and which throws send DDD the farthest. Imo what you should do is if you grab DDD and force an air release when he doesnt have any jumps n has to upb, you should use one of sonics tools to wack the DDD out of his upb and send him back out off the stage. This'll repeat the situation where he'll have to upb again n u can get more free hits and would prolly be safer for sonic, you cant afford to whiff a grab attempt to get grabbed yourself

Tenki

Smash Hero
@ sideB/downB thread
Yeah, it's been needing a cleanup for a long time now. Aside from being busy at school, I didn't feel like there were enough new Sonic players joining this late in the game to really have to reformat (so I made the 'are there any new Sonic mains' thread and surprisingly found quite a few :3)

In order to cut down on words without losing info, it'd definitely need more pictures/videos, which I honestly can't take myself. Like, I can draw diagrams and stuff now that I have a drawing tablet, but I think screenshots, gifs, and/or videos would do it more justice.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sonic can very easily force ddd into this position.

remember that tech we found were if we are standing at the very edge of the stage and down throw ddd, he gets stage spiked and goes straight down?

there you go.

i did that to tusm in one of my matches with him that wasnt recorded. even though I didnt get the up b repeated grab release on him as i didnt think of it at the time.

Tenki

Smash Hero

remember that tech we found were if we are standing at the very edge of the stage and down throw ddd, he gets stage spiked and goes straight down?

there you go.

i did that to tusm in one of my matches with him that wasnt recorded. even though I didnt get the up b repeated grab release on him as i didnt think of it at the time.
which ledges did that work from again?

I know for sure BF right side worked.

I think SV left edge with downward DI too, but that might have been vs Sonic only.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
thats still pretty situational kid, since its stage specific

hitting DDD out of his upB hurts us alot more

Tesh

Smash Hero
I thought that was that one ledge at the VERY edge of the stage. It works in other places? The only other places I remember a similar trick being useful are Delfino and Halberd to push them under the stage.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

there you go.
Nice try broski, but D3 can wall-tech/wall-tech jump it (assuming Battlefield), and although it is possible to punish/edgeuard him afterwards, nothing Sonic has will send him at a low-angle.

Most, if not all of the chances to Up-B grab infinite D3 will come from edgeguarding him while he's making an attempt to get back on stage and you intercept him/his jumps, and arrive back to the edge before he does.

hitting DDD out of his upB hurts us alot more
How? If D3 has no other choice but to use his Up-B or fall to his death, he's basically at the mercy of the person who grabbed him. It works the same way as all cypher-gimps do, difference is D3 can keep Up-Bing until his opponent gets bored and wants to kill him as opposed to the victim just drifting down to the blastzone, unable to make any attempts at recovery (Unless there's a hazard or a platform on the way down).

Edit: Tesh, it works on any platform that you can pass through both ways. It's done at the edge too. It's only stage specific on the right side of Battlefield (that we know of/is possible), but even then D3 can just tech the stagespike like regular D-Throw teching.

:093:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well yea I know you can do on all pass through platforms, but those are the only 2 stages I have ever gimped people on because they tried to tech. Its especially humorous against Link.

Transforming stages the best ones in the game, no contest.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
because kinzer when you force DDD to upb its free damage, all you need is a disjointed aerial to his face that has high knock back and you can very easily reset the same situation. DDDs should never upb during any match period.

I also think your talking about a low recovering upb DDD in which case yea if you kept grab releasing him its also a free damage. I was just refering to DDDs upb in general

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If I ever get a grab on D3's up B.
I'm timing him out with grab pummel pummel grab release.
10minu-
Err, 8minutes
Wouldn't it be considered stalling past 300%?

because kinzer when you force DDD to upb its free damage, all you need is a disjointed aerial to his face that has high knock back and you can very easily reset the same situation. DDDs should never upb during any match period
Oh okay.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
imo your more likely to get those types of situations since at points during any match DDD will be off stage it'll be up to the sonic to make sure he keeps the pressure up and creates that situation

and i do believe sonic is pretty capable of doing just that

Coney

Smash Master
wedge linked me to this thread rofl

you can't time out ddd by continually pummel releasing him

in theory it works yes but, eventually he'll get an air release and he'll jump about 25% across the stage with his upb. it's like how in doubles you see two people pummeling back and forth, and then the dude in the middle has a chance for an air release? it's just like that. except unfortunately it still puts us in a bad position; upb has terrible lag if we decide to land on the stage, and if we go for the ledge we're risking a gimp anyway.

so it's a guaranteed punish against a possible gimp.

on top of that on any non-static stage there are convenient options...the plat on SV, the ghosts on YI...bad situations obviously but better than a true-blue infinite

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Eventually?

Does anybody here know whether or not Sonic's pummel is fast enough to always guarantee a ground-grab release? I only confirmed if the pummels decay or not, but I never bothered to look into the opponent breaking out of it.

...Unless nobody here actually knows, I can/will... eventually... test that out too... *Ugh.*

My workpile just keeps getting bigger and bigger as time goes on and on. Oh well, feels good to contribute.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
any character can force a ground release if they pummel fast enough, that just breaks down to people being bad with their characters.

also, what ddd is going to tech the down throw spike? sonics are the only ones that even know about that.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
any character can force a ground release if they pummel fast enough, that just breaks down to people being bad with their characters.

also, what ddd is going to tech the down throw spike? sonics are the only ones that even know about that.

Apparently some Bowsers say that Bows'ers pummel speed is too slow to guarantee a ground grab release and that there's a certain window of time that the victim can aerial grab release out of it.

... One day, a couple of SoCal randoms decided to show up to a Vegassmash tourney a long, long time ago.

I lost to a D3. He knew how to tech D-Throw...

<3

Hate D-Throw.

*Ahem.* That was a long time ago. God, I just wanna get into the scene again, I feel like I've gotten so much better.

Top Bottom