• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
encoding/uploading the vids kid sent me

i have a 3 page critique ready for him once he gets online

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
An apology just for clarity would do just fine.
Rich Brown apologized for them, even though he didn't chant it at all (since he was playing, obviously).

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
well if the dthrow isnt staled much and considering their positing/opponents % i knew he was gonna die lol

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
watching espy vs X now. omg why are you two spindashing so much. its like you both are asking each other for punishment. :s

edit: first time i ever saw dthrow kill on sv like that. afk
I killed UTDZac off of the side of SV with jab3 at Dallas too.

Oh, and you're so wrong on that spin dash remark. The best option the winning Sonic has against the other Sonic is sideB. Unless you are provoked or don't react properly to him, sideB shuts down all of Sonic's options. All of them.

Shoulda done it like MAHVEL And throw in dem triple zeroes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Espy and X should come to Florida and take our money. ;D
youll ave to settle for me, Ill be in FL in late january

I killed UTDZac off of the side of SV with jab3 at Dallas too.

LOL
Oh, and you're so wrong on that spin dash remark. The best option the winning Sonic has against the other Sonic is sideB. Unless you are provoked or don't react properly to him, sideB shuts down all of Sonic's options. All of them.

something I feel you should know, nair is the best aerial to use out of a side b hop hit.

does good damage and will always hit and unstales other moves.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
in terms of abusing side bs invinicibility to beat all of sonics approaches. do you think that would be viable against any other character? first character that comes to mind is wario, seems like it would be great against him.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
you should know, I literally fell asleep during game 3 just now...

also, whose the girl cheering for you in all the vids?
That's fine. They're Sonic dittos.
And don't worry about it.

Time to make things confusing.
I REALLY like where this is going.

@KID's above post: Most definitely. As long as said character doesn't have a projectile, it's viable on any character in the cast.

The tough part is forcing those characters to approach. Even tougher considering pretty much every character that matters in tournaments can deal with the regular sideB in some way, shape, and form.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@KID's above post: Most definitely. As long as said character doesn't have a projectile, it's viable on any character in the cast.

The tough part is forcing those characters to approach. Even tougher considering pretty much every character that matters in tournaments can deal with the regular sideB in some way, shape, and form.
except mk, cus he can just nado it.

what im asking is what characters dont have projectiles and are forced to approach us?

wario is the first one that comes to mind, and I can see it working really well on him.

marth doesnt have a projectile but it seems like his range would be enough to beat it anyway.

it would probably work on ddd, but you can camp him better with down b anyway.

also espy. i didnt know side b beat shields, which is our best approach...

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's more or less the same concept as the iSDR, KID.
Wario is really the only character who struggles to deal with the iSDR. It's only reasonable that he'd be one of the only characters who'd struggle with the sideB in general.

No clue what you're last comment is referring to, though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I am with Goggles on this. The only thing you can do on a Shield from a Side-B is either abort or risk going into a SDR, which gives the opponent enough time to counterattack... Approaching any other way agauinst Side-B isn't going to work thanks to the invincibility on its start-up (assuming a Sonic ditto).

After I'm done with Lucario, I really should grab the shieldstun frame data for Sonic. It'd be depressing to see all the reds but I think we really need some kind of idea of what exactly we have going for ourselves...

Browny

Smash Hater
Depends on how big it is...

Its never worth trying to time the sideb invincibility to beat a 20%+ sphere coz the risk is way too large.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
also. since kin brought it up, doesnt the normal side b invinciblity beat full charge aura spheres?
... Wedge brought up something similar last night with me on AIM too...

... Dammit, only more I need to find out about. :glare:

:093:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Depends on how big it is...

Its never worth trying to time the sideb invincibility to beat a 20%+ sphere coz the risk is way too large.
Pretty much this. You'd need to ensure that the invincible frames on sideB would successfully let you pass through the aura sphere without touching it during the beginning of the vulnerable part.

In other words, pass through it while invincible, then hope you stay invincible as you cross by it. The larger it is, the more likely you are to get hit by it.

infomon

Smash Scientist
How many invincy frames do we even have on side-B?
and Usmash for that matter (lol)?
also, up-B!

Kinzer: I'm lookin' at u ;)

Tenki

Smash Hero
I am with Goggles on this. The only thing you can do on a Shield from a Side-B is either abort or risk going into a SDR, which gives the opponent enough time to counterattack... Approaching any other way agauinst Side-B isn't going to work thanks to the invincibility on its start-up (assuming a Sonic ditto).
One thing I thought was interesting was that sometimes Espy wouldn't jump immediately after contact with shield. Sometimes he'd keep flying further behind X, THEN DJ out. My normal reaction vs spindash would be to shield and FH B-air on contact (to punish habit of immediate jump), but both of them actually covered those reactions and cases pretty well (ex: spring out of SDR).

the invicibility on side b is the hop right?
Just the first 5 frames or so, I believe.

I've been grabbed out of SideB against D3 before; during the hop. I was all :( about it.
It might have been after invincy frames :[
-------

One of my favorite moves I've seen from X's old gameplay as well as the X vs Espy vids is probably how he cancels SDR with an instant F-air/U-air then fastfall to start again.

;p

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Guys, I just realized something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_rAvtIOl_w

About four seconds in, I did that thing we talked about a long time ago.
I SWEETSPOTTED UPB.

We should learn how to auto-sweet spot it. It could come in handy.
Sucks that the spring doesn't fall anyways. That'd be an incredible low edge guard.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Guys, I just realized something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_rAvtIOl_w

About four seconds in, I did that thing we talked about a long time ago.
I SWEETSPOTTED UPB.

We should learn how to auto-sweet spot it. It could come in handy.
Sucks that the spring doesn't fall anyways. That'd be an incredible low edge guard.
OH MY GOD IT'S REAL

I tried for SOOOOOO LOOOOONG to get this to EVER happen, and I ended up convincing myself that it was impossible.

WOW

also: in Espy vs. X matches there's an *awful* lot of meatriding goin on in the audio

.... well I guess it's steakriding.....

which I guess is sonicriding......

........ sonicriders?? :urg:

Edit: I wonder what the invincy frameset looks like on our sweet-spotted up-B?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Espy, you may have sweetspotted the ledge with Spring simply because you either Sprang one frame before or the same frame on Sonic would've automatically snapped to the ledge.

I managed to pause it at the right time to get a picture of it. Notice how Sonic appears to be in two different sets of animation on at the same time?

Though as a researcher, I know better than to simply write off something like that so easily.

If/when Jerry gets home from Uni, I'm going to ask him if he can look into it himself. I want to get things done, but at the same time I'm only one person and I can't get everything done in such a short amount of time.

:093:

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
I... I don't understand. How the heck did that happen

edit: ninja'd

edit again: lol @ title

Tenki

Smash Hero
OH MY GOD IT'S REAL

I tried for SOOOOOO LOOOOONG to get this to EVER happen, and I ended up convincing myself that it was impossible.

WOW

also: in Espy vs. X matches there's an *awful* lot of meatriding goin on in the audio

.... well I guess it's steakriding.....

which I guess is sonicriding......

........ sonicriders?? :urg:

Edit: I wonder what the invincy frameset looks like on our sweet-spotted up-B?
@ espy vs X videos: lol, I kinda felt bad for X, it was like no one wanted to root for him.

@ springcling: ya, it exists :o

I don't think anyone's ever figured out the spacing and/or inputs to do it though.
I'd lol if it was some kind of [down][up] platform cancel-style input BS.

Top Bottom