• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
My greatest dilemma atm is that they have now added a swag purple cape for Marth, meaning I have to debate between that and white marth when I play. I might have to bring a coin to decide just so I don't hold up tournaments.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda sad that Marth's Roy pallet swap doesn't change his hair color to red.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
we're supposed to act smart? I thought it was make shaya's job harder than it has to be.

well if anything, at least there are other madoka ***s here now so I feel at home.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Glad I'm amongst the upper echelon of posters :p
We're actually the least intelligent board, but the intention is to use haughty vocabulary and memorization of information combined with extremely poor analysis to APPEAR to be the smartest board.

Don't tell the other boards. And don't tell gheb.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
we're supposed to act smart? I thought it was make shaya's job harder than it has to be.

well if anything, at least there are other madoka ***s here now so I feel at home.
Madoka ***s gotta stick together in our suffering.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think I would buy one, haha.

Easiest way to main a character that's low tier and never have to actually use them in tournament if you carry it around.

Last edited:

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to buy one. But I bet you already knew that :v

I'm considering getting Amiibos all the other FE characters as well.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Gonna have to wait on other FE a bit longer since marth is the only one coming out in the first set of them

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Yeah I'm gonna grab a Marth one. I've been playing him since Melee came out, there's no way I can't get his Amiibo.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
You can preorder them now, but I don't think they come out til the end of the year.

I think instead of waiting for the dark pit one to come out, I'm just gonna scribble on the pit one with a black marker and call it a day.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Marths tipper shield breaker kills at 17%. Black lightning and everything.

How to do it? Read a shield. Then stand there and fully charge it.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Yeah I'm gonna grab a Marth one. I've been playing him since Melee came out, there's no way I can't get his Amiibo.
I don't even care about what Amiibos even do but I would kill to have a cute little Marth statue sitting on my desk

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marths tipper shield breaker kills at 17%. Black lightning and everything.

How to do it? Read a shield. Then stand there and fully charge it.
It isn't reading a shield. It's reacting to an action in which you read the next thing will be a shield because a 20 frame move is otherwise very easy to react to. If you see someone in shield, they have way too many options to avoid it; like if they can roll (5 frames rather than shields 1) they'll always be safe.

Also really? On what character? that's kinda cool how much of an increase in KB it got.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It isn't reading a shield. It's reacting to an action in which you read the next thing will be a shield because a 20 frame move is otherwise very easy to react to. If you see someone in shield, they have way too many options to avoid it; like if they can roll (5 frames rather than shields 1) they'll always be safe.

Also really? On what character? that's kinda cool how much of an increase in KB it got.
That's not what I meant when I said "just stand there and charge it" haha.

Read the shield was the end of the point and just stand there and charge it was the act of doing it again. Plus, the way power shields seem to be so easy you just do it out of pure coincidence makes reading just a little bit risky, but not hopeless.

Not sure who it was, but it was a light character from what I remember. Later in the stream I watched it killed DK at 50%. I imagine it couldve even been 40

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Crashed a local Gamestop that was doing a midnight release after work tonight. They had a Brawl setup out front, took that as an invitation to do some work with Marth. Was fun.

Kinda pissed the Best Buy I preordered from (at Smashfest) didn't do a midnight release. Seems dumb, but I'll pick it up early tomorrow morning I guess. I know who I'll be playing first.

Last edited:

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I thought I would give this game a shot for 20 minutes and ended up playing for a few hours on accident. I think I'm getting back into smash and of course I couldn't give up on Marth.

Looking forward to the mechanics grind again. Cool to see some old faces on the board(Shaya, Emblem Lord, C.J.) from the Brawl Marth boards in 2008.

So does anyone know if Dolphin Slash still has invincibility frames on startup? Losing double fairs in a single short hop and a bit of range has made me sad, but I'm really hoping we still have DS out of shield as an interrupt option.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
DS still has invincibility.
Hi bro =)

So I got myself a 3DS, it's (maybe) ironically an American one, but I don't have a charger (hopefully can scrounge one tomorrow), had to toil around for a long time trying to figure out how to cheat the system and get eShop credit. I learned that Canada is the land of the free.

The plus side to this is that I'll have the game.
The extra plus side is that the 3DS has streaming/recording equipment (lol).
So yeah.

I know what I'm doing for the next month or two of university.
Failing.
While being able to test ****ing everything.

I don't know if I have the will to do this frame by frame **** like I did in the past/during the Brawl years. My recent stint on it for some early frame data was really laborious (record then watch frame by frame on a computer) and general lack of tryhard in me these days was damning. But ughh. I know I'll have to test frame advantages, I know I'll have to test what exactly I can buffer. VUGHH

SpLSlick

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpLSlick
3DS FC
3540-1397-4329
Which move is Crescent Slash? Is that Nair? Saw it on another thread and figured that it would be best to write it in the general discussion thread....Thanks in advance

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
My greatest dilemma atm is that they have now added a swag purple cape for Marth, meaning I have to debate between that and white marth when I play. I might have to bring a coin to decide just so I don't hold up tournaments.
Moving in on my colors again? Ft10 winner gets first choice of color forever.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Shaya: Hey. ^^

There's a pretty interesting mode in Training where you can set it to a slower speed...but the game only "plays" when you hold L. Otherwise it's completely paused. I've been using it to test various setups we used to have in Brawl(grab release on Metaknight, etc.). I haven't found any grab release combos but I really only tried them on metaknight because f*** that guy.

Anyways, it should make collecting frame data and testing stuff much easier.

As another side note, I think they removed that annoying lip on Final D that everyone would occasionally get caught under when recovering. You basically just sweetspot like you did on Battlefield.

Last edited:

KillLock

Smash Lord
Won a tournament with 50+ entrants with Marth today. Hardest mu for me was Rosalina, but I was able to win it in game 5 Winners finals(Only matches I lost in the tournament). I think Marth is good, not top 5 good but good enough to win tournaments. Feels like a better Brawl Marth and has a ton of great neutral game options and zoning tools much like before.

MU's I played were Bowser, Lil Mac, Sheik, Rosalina, Lucina, Kirby, Dark Pit, C.Falcon, Duckhunt and more.

Last edited:

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Hello everyone :) after spending hours with the new cast I landed back on Marth again, I may use lucina also but i like marth due to tips :/ No character is quite as fun to me. So hopefully I can put some results up for us and hopefully other marth mains can come through to push the meta nicely for us again.

The hardest transition for me is the dancing blade timing... im getting punished so hard because it just seems not fluid anymore.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
killlock, let's play together, I'm using an American 3DS and I technically live in Alberta, Canada; our PING WILL BE LIKE SUPER LOW RIGHT?

Oh but let's get us together for a chat sometime? Get CJ/EL/etc as well

Also I'm streaming!
I'm not using much Marth but I'm playing locally with two others (if someone on stream actually asked I'd definitely do so!)
http://www.twitch.tv/hiyashaya

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Took 5th at a local with Lucina. Lost to a DDD and little mac. The ddd match is whatever. I lost to juice.doom strongest ddd in nj so thats fine and i know what i did wrong. The little mac match up however has me a bit stumped. Neutral game is his game. Faster with comparable range, risk vs reward favors him. Granted the two lords edge guard the mess out of him.

I gotta rethink how im going to approach this match. Storm Thrust bodies him, so meh there is that but i dont like not knowing what to do in neutral.

Going to a training session today so we shall see what happens.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Took 5th at a local with Lucina. Lost to a DDD and little mac. The ddd match is whatever. I lost to juice.doom strongest ddd in nj so thats fine and i know what i did wrong. The little mac match up however has me a bit stumped. Neutral game is his game. Faster with comparable range, risk vs reward favors him. Granted the two lords edge guard the mess out of him.

I gotta rethink how im going to approach this match. Storm Thrust bodies him, so meh there is that but i dont like not knowing what to do in neutral.

Going to a training session today so we shall see what happens.
Mind commenting a bit more on that ddd match up? If you recall, Ddd has always been a problem match up with me. Still got range, edge guards us easy, and it's hard to get a kill move on him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I really dont know what to say. I was going even with strong ddds even in brawl. My spacing was probably just better. And i abused air traps. Now that gordos can be hit back i do not fear our fellow monarch.

Risk vs reward is pretty even now that chain grabs are gone.

When wii u version drops and my traps get tighter i imagine the match might favor the lords.

KillLock

Smash Lord
killlock, let's play together, I'm using an American 3DS and I technically live in Alberta, Canada; our PING WILL BE LIKE SUPER LOW RIGHT?

Oh but let's get us together for a chat sometime? Get CJ/EL/etc as well

Also I'm streaming!
I'm not using much Marth but I'm playing locally with two others (if someone on stream actually asked I'd definitely do so!)
http://www.twitch.tv/hiyashaya

Yeah sure, I still haven't added anyone for online yet so it's a start. And my skype is killlock

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Nice EL. As long as you have an idea of what you want to adjust. =]

I'm still pretty scrub but I'd love to get in on the chat. I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

I've been having some trouble with Little Mac and Duck Hunt dog. Little Mac closes the distance too fast so I think I need to be more careful about my zoning spam. He makes me afraid to be on the ground so I end up in the air but then I'm in a really awkward position. How are you guys getting/keeping stage control on that machup?

Duck Hunt dog is just annoying to me with the projectile spam. I think I just need to get better with mechanics and movement to get around them. Anyone else having trouble with him?

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Did Marth's tip get buffed? O_o ssbwiki doesn't say anything about it but fair and fsmash feel a lot stronger. Also fsmash is apparently a little faster now too.
Battlefield, FD and Yoshi's were the stages.
What do TOs think of Prism Tower (the Pokemon stage) so far? I like it but my friend absolutely hates it.

Top Bottom