• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think it's about time we started.

A lot of fluff threads are going to get locked and/or merged as they come up I guess. Let's start to focus on what matters.

1324901435566.png

Either way, we're the Marth boards and we set and maintain very high standards (which I'll likely force on elsewhere mind you).
We have a bit of culture and history, which I hope you'll enjoy, and if we're forced into the diaspora due to heavy nerfs, I hope to see you around elsewhere in any one of the other better-than-Marth clones character boards we'll have!

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Anything that isn't directly related to Marth in Smash [Four] should be kept to social threads. For the time being, feel free to assume that is here.
For the sake of sanity, that includes aesthetics. Voices, palette swaps and colors as well.

What's your interest in Marth?
How long have you been playing Smash?
New to/interested in competitive play?

I'll summarise the voice conversation (as I would say it's mostly been a dead horse beyond this)
1. People have preferences for either him maintaining his Japanese voice, due to tradition, expectations, predispositions or otherwise
2. Others would prefer localised voices due to clashing with the aforementioned reasons: wishing to better understand Marth / preferring English (or otherwise), him feeling the odd one out maintaining his Japanese voice, the feeling that as he was included in localised games already that he should definitely get one.
3. A middle ground where people can choose which voice set characters use to appease "everyone" (obviously not something that is 100% agreeable to everyone either~)

Last edited:

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Hi fellow ex- Marth mains. Now that we know the nerfs are for real, we must band together. Now in this dark time, when all those who worship Lucina as waifu feel triumphant, we need each other more than ever. Fight the bandwagon.
#Tippers4Lyfe

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
As a person who's played Marth in Melee and Brawl, I'm not entirely sure what to make of this Marth. He has less range, it appears, but he has more options to do with what he's got. Pivots allow him to do retreating f smashes and tilts, things he couldn't do in Brawl (but arguably wavedash back fsmash is a close analogy in Melee). Not sure if his shield breaker is better, per se, but I'm sure he has a lot of viable options that can still make him compete in a high level. That is to say, he still has a chance of making it in big tournies, despite the nerfs.

I've played Smash since 2000 (smash 64). I've stuck with Marth since 2006 (Melee) and played as him since, to answer Shaya's question. I've played in small tournaments, but maybe this time around, I can really get myself into it. (Being a grad student's really tough)

C.J.

Smash Master
Hi Marth boards!
Any of you that played Brawl Marth know who I am, so nice seeing you all again!
For any of you that don't know me, I'm a huge theorycrafter, but I approach it differently than most theorycrafters who have given it a bad name. I focus entirely on practical application relative to a given skill level/reaction time instead of "theoretical possibilities."

I've been, tentatively, asked to be part of the beginning of the smash 4 backroom, largely as a representative for Marth, Lucina, and Robin.

While I'm good at character specific advice, I like giving general advice to improve general play (opposed to helping within a narrower spectrum) in order to help people cross barriers into the next level of play! So feel free to ask me anything (just please tag or message me to be sure that I see it~)!

I look forward to learning this character with you all and helping however I can!

And to add onto what Shaya said about our "history"
In Brawl's early days there was a theory god, Emblem Lord, that propelled Marth's metagame exceptionally quickly and EL, Pierce, Shaya, and myself, ran the Marth boards with a very.... sophisticated air. Everything was very polite, questions were answered in incredible detail, we quickly stopped the spread of bad information, etc etc.

So yeah, Marth is awesome/one of the best designed characters across fighting games and we like to show it!

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Don't forget the fact that the other boards generally saw us as pompous, it's incredibly important to our culture to maintain that air of "smarter then thou".

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I joined recently but I hope I can be of some help. I've been playing Marth since the melee days and have been competitive since 06. Played him competitively in brawl as well.

My specialty isn't exactly too unique. I'm great with figuring out viable and creative follow ups, but that seems really only useful when developing the early meta.

I love theory as well.

Above all, I'm here to learn. I'm excited to get to know you all and to get to work :)

Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Had to do this since the original topic was closed.

That is, if the one showcased at Nintendo Treehouse Live this Friday is the final release (as in the absolute final, it kinda irked me we didn't see any "Challenger Approaching" even after finishing Classic Mode).

Uh, I guess I can live with it, but still I'm slightly disappointed. I really wanted to hear Marth speak in English.

Close if necessary, please.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Why would you want him speaking English? His japanese voice is tradition at this point.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Why would you want him speaking English? His japanese voice is tradition at this point.
Simply because Shadow Dragon was released worldwide in the DS, and the Fire Emblem OVA was dubbed to English in a -somewhat good?- quality.

Tradition or not, I would have liked to see what could be done if he spoke in English.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Fair enough point. Still, I'd feel like something is off if he was suddenly speaking English haha

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
OH FOR ***** SAKE!
Ok that's it. How long until the game gets hacked and we can change the files? First thing'm going to do is replace Marth's voice clips with a fan made english pack.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Not surprising at all. I was hoping he would start speaking English this time around so that I could understand what he's saying.

XionKai

Smash Cadet
Not that, I would care of Marth, Speaking English, for SSB4.
Buuut... I would prefer his Japanese voice.!

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
It's just weird when we have Ike, Lucina and both Robins speaking english and Marth is randomly speaking japanese for no good reason.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Marth would be nowhere near as popular as he is today if his taunts were in english in melee.

There's less "good" reasons for him to speak in english than there are for him to speak in japanese.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Marth would be nowhere near as popular as he is today if his taunts were in english in melee.

There's less "good" reasons for him to speak in english than there are for him to speak in japanese.
The only good reason is "he spoke Japanese in Melee". And even then is not that good of a reason.
Like I said first thing I'm doing is modding that.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
The only good reason is "he spoke Japanese in Melee". And even then is not that good of a reason.
Like I said first thing I'm doing is modding that.
And the only reason for speaking english is that his other FE reps do. Which is more convincing of an argument, he should speak japanese because it's iconic to his character, or that he should speak english because everyone else does? Conformity for justification is never a good argument.

Good luck modding the game on either platform. Seriously. Good luck.

Last edited:

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Not only does he still speak Japanese... but he still uses those 13-year-old voice clips...
I mean, I can only be so upset over something so minor, but still a letdown.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Not only does he still speak Japanese... but he still uses those 13-year-old voice clips...
I mean, I can only be so upset over something so minor, but still a letdown.
Don't most of the characters still use recycled voice clips? Sonic's is apparently just ripped from Generations, Link still sounds like Twilight Princess Link which while it makes sense, it'd be nice if the Skyward Sword voice actor voiced him, and Bowser apparently still has a monster voice instead of goofy, villain Bowser in recent games. Also, I think Zero Suit Samus still uses her Brawl voice or perhaps the Japanese voice actress sounds coincidentally very similar.

Characters who have new voice actors that I know of are Pit - Antony Del Rio is voicing him and Pittoo - and Fox and if the video is true, it's horrible and grating. Apparently Mike West is voicing him and it sounds like a far cry. Sure, 64 Fox's voice is high-pitched, but this one takes it up annoying, voice-cracking teenager levels.

Last edited:

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Honestly, I don't mind this. Marth has spoken Japanese since Melee, and it would feel weird for him to speak English now, even if he did in Shadow Dragon, wtc.

C'mon who doesn't love to pretend he's saying nonsense like "Nina, knee not take a day!"

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yeah. As if that makes it less disappointing.
It's really weird to have Bowser Jr. with a cartoony voice and Bowser with a monster voice.

Bowser Jr: *Squeaky voice* "Hey, dad! How'd your matches go?"
Bowser: *Godzilla, terror from the deep, Silent Hill-type stuff* "UGGHS RRRRR!"

Now with Fox's weird, high-pitched voice supposed done by Mike West.

Falco: *think characters from The Godfather* "'Aeh, Fox, how'd tha' fight go?"
Fox: *really high-pitched voice* "It was grea-"
Falco: "AAAAAAAHHHH! MAH EARS!!!"

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Don't most of the characters still use recycled voice clips? Sonic's is apparently just ripped from Generations, Link still sounds like Twilight Princess Link which while it makes sense, it'd be nice if the Skyward Sword voice actor voiced him, and Bowser apparently still has a monster voice instead of goofy, villain Bowser in recent games. Also, I think Zero Suit Samus still uses her Brawl voice or perhaps the Japanese voice actress sounds coincidentally very similar.

Characters who have new voice actors that I know of are Pit - Antony Del Rio is voicing him and Pittoo - and Fox and if the video is true, it's horrible and grating. Apparently Mike West is voicing him and it sounds like a far cry. Sure, 64 Fox's voice is high-pitched, but this one takes it up annoying, voice-cracking teenager levels.
Kirby and Ness got new voice clips too.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hmm, so now we know what's happening, do we need a repeat of people saying the same thing as the last thread or is there really something new to be said here?

I'll just merge it with the social =)

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I want Marth speaking French (or Italian, Portuguese, or Spanish). Oh, how he will woo all the ladies and gentlemen, especially the gentlemen. :p
Kirby and Ness got new voice clips too.
I said most and I knew about Ness's new voice clips since someone mentioned it somewhere, but I didn't know about Kirby, so thanks.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I approve of the thread title and also

RAKU OBA JAPAN

Edit: Oh, so that's what the 2nd part of the title means. I think it would be weird to have Marth speak english finally, so I like this :D Japanese ftw! It's like a tradition anyways. I remember in the old days when we would play melee and someone would pick marth, we'd talk about why he's speaking japanese and what he might be saying. Stuff like that helped playing melee just be a fun social thing too. Ah, good memories.

Last edited:

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Screw tradition. Just give us the option to change the chracter language ala Marvel vs Capcom.
Even if Marth still doesn't speak English we can at least get rid of Fox's new english voice.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Why no Spike Spencer reprising his role from the 90's Mystery of the Emblem OVA? Seriously though I'd have liked English for Marth. Hearing him say "As if!" ("Like I would let you" is the translation according to Smash wiki) on hitting a counter would be neat. Bringing back the 'original English Marth VA' would be a pretty crazy nod as well.

Oh well. We gotta be pompous, right? I propose we ostracize anyone who plays Lucina. Anyone who claims to be descended from the Hero King himself yet settles for marrying peasants and dirtying his blood is not someone I want to associate with.

Top Bottom