• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

DariusM27

Smash Ace
The only characters I feel that I can't beat vs skilled opponents are Diddy, Sheik, and probably Sonic and Bayo.
But there are other matchups that are just about as bad, like Greninja.
It's just infinitely frustrating to not be able to go even vs a specific set of characters.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
For me, I feel Marth could still win in any MU, but some are more difficult than others.

Of the ones you mentioned, I definitely don't like playing against Sonic - infact so much so that I've taken to switching to Bayonetta and platform camping him in that MU. That or just using Rosalina (Jab is soooooo goooooood in that MU!).

Sheik I feel is a bit of a pain in neutral, and Marth will be getting hit more times than Sheik will be by Marth, but it's all just rage for Marth, and Sheik get's KO'd a lot earlier than she should be vs Marth. Dancing Blade killing at 90% is nice. It's almost like you've gotta wait for your turn, then strike hard. I feel this one is do-able.

Diddy is probably the 2n'd MU I dislike with Marth, but I will give it a go sometimes, unlike Sonic. I just find it hard to keep up with Diddy. Once he has the banana, he's forcing you to play his game. Unless you can safely and reliably pressure him, he's going to be doing more damage in general than Marth. I feel best in the Diddy MU with Rosalina. It's just as annoying for me with Bayonetta as it is Marth.

Bayonetta isn't that bad for me personally (probably helps that she's one of my three main tournament characters). I play a quite patient Marth, and I rarely press buttons without meaning, which helps cut the risk of Witch Time a bit. It's all about waiting for Bayonetta to press a button of her own then using yours. If she isn't pressing any buttons, you can bait her into doing so with moves like Jab and Dtilt just outside of her range which cannot be punished. Countering ABK off stage is pretty nice too, which can KO at a nice percent. With anything Bayonetta, the more you know how she plays, the easier it is to know what she will want to be doing.

Greninja can be annoying too tbh. Shuriken makes approaching a bit tougher, and he's quick enough to punish poor options by us. I think it's much more doable than the others mentioned but I can see why it may give you trouble. Not a MU I particularly enjoy.

Pikachu is pretty annoying as well, being small and quick, spacing on him is pretty tough. Though I have found out that simply throwing out an Fsmash when he uses Quick Attack often catches him when he comes towards you; I've even got the reverse hit of tipper Fsmash at some points because of how Quick Attack changes hit hurtbox, which is silly lmao.

I don't dislike certain MU's, but more, certain parts of MU's. For example, I like the Mario MU in general, but I don't like it when Mario gets in on Marth. It can kind of be a pain trying to reset the pressure.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I just realized Marth's biggest issue in regards to Recovery Carryover Air Speed that we were talking about.

Counter edgeguarding.

So you just grabbed the ledge from your edgeguard attempt whether it was countered a recovery or hit them off stage or are simply waiting for them at the ledge. You hold back to drift backwards from the ledge but your air speed is way too low and they recover around you and now you're the one off-stage and without an invincible ledge grab and they're on stage. The effect?
- The Counter was guaranteed at Marth's normal air speed and they were dead if you got it.
- You might lose your stock or take a lot of damage now.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
I just realized Marth's biggest issue in regards to Recovery Carryover Air Speed that we were talking about.

Counter edgeguarding.

So you just grabbed the ledge from your edgeguard attempt whether it was countered a recovery or hit them off stage or are simply waiting for them at the ledge. You hold back to drift backwards from the ledge but your air speed is way too low and they recover around you and now you're the one off-stage and without an invincible ledge grab and they're on stage. The effect?
- The Counter was guaranteed at Marth's normal air speed and they were dead if you got it.
- You might lose your stock or take a lot of damage now.
Hmm, that's a good observation, I never thought of it like this.

But to be honest, you just highlighted an area I kind of don't utilise much of. I do use Counter to edgeguard, but usually from running from the ledge. I rarely drop from the ledge and Counter, and I know there are situations when this would likely be optimal.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah I wait on the ledge for a lot of reasons. Unrelated but a good way to edgeguard is while on the ledge press side B in the other direction to hit them with DB1 when they're near. Leads into a Fair or Dair or a panic air dodge from them. Good way to catch Fox or Diddy coming from the side for example.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
That's a good point, using DB1 may make getting another hit more optimal. I did do the thing on Fox when he uses Fire Fox to recover the other day against a good friend of mine. Y'know, where you DB1 him as he goes upwards and then double jump into the Dair spike as he attempts to go upwards again.

I've been trying to get it for ages and it was so good to finally do it lol.

Then again, many strange things happened that play session, such as me managing to wall tech a Falcon Dair spike with Mewtwo while hanging from the ledge...

This game has some strange stuff in it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Was back air able to cull it?

In Brawl we would ledge drop fair/bair to get aerial control back. Yeah it's been there since Brawl; reason it's a bigger problem in Smash4 is developer laziness [lots of '60-80' frame animations that only actually animate during the pre-iasa frames but get handled poorly by the engine even if you can act out of them for the sake of ledge grabbing/etc].

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Was back air able to cull it?

In Brawl we would ledge drop fair/bair to get aerial control back. Yeah it's been there since Brawl; reason it's a bigger problem in Smash4 is developer laziness [lots of '60-80' frame animations that only actually animate during the pre-iasa frames but get handled poorly by the engine even if you can act out of them for the sake of ledge grabbing/etc].
Yeah, anything will cull it but then you won't have time to get that quick Counter you needed.

Edit: I do Double Jump as a solution to get where I need to but it's a huge risk using Counter off-stage without your DJ. Especially if it misses, can cause your SD.

Last edited:

_Relapse_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9930-5001
Okay so I stopped following the scene for about a year and before I stopped, Marth was touted to be around a C tier,low B tier character.

What was changed/discovered that he has become an A tier char?

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Okay so I stopped following the scene for about a year and before I stopped, Marth was touted to be around a C tier,low B tier character.

What was changed/discovered that he has become an A tier char?
Patch 1.1.4 happened in February last year. Since then, players have used these buffs to success, placing higher than ever in tournaments worldwide, even winning tournaments with Marth (MKLeo).

The buffs to Marth (and nerfs to other characters) also noticeably improved his MU spread, notably with the top tier cast, which is important.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
ZeRo said on Twitch the other day that Marth is the bottom of top tier (A) - which is just one character spot higher than where I would say, being the top of high tier (B)

I think ZeRo realized he was over rating Marth/Lucina when his Lucina failed against Ally after a few attempts, but his Diddy pulled off the big wins.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
ZeRo said on Twitch the other day that Marth is the bottom of top tier (A) - which is just one character spot higher than where I would say, being the top of high tier (B)

I think ZeRo realized he was over rating Marth/Lucina when his Lucina failed against Ally after a few attempts, but his Diddy pulled off the big wins.
Could be the former, but as good as ZeRo is, his Lucina was nothing on his Diddy. Sure his Lucina is very very good, but to be honest, it was only about as good as his Cloud. I really think his Falcon is better in general.

I understand his thought though; it's wise to pick a character with a good MU if your main is struggling. Doesn't mean you'll win though, because at the end of the day, your main is still your main, and you're going to do so much better with them in general.

But I noticed with ZeRo's Lucina, he claimed he wanted to use her for "consistency" reasons, yet most of the times he never capitalised on this point. There were times I saw him trying Leo style ledge trapping and stuff, and while stuff was working, the opponent was surviving until percents past when Marth would have killed because Marth's general ledge trapping game is strictly more rewarding due to how Jab's angles work (easy tipper Ftilt), and the general distance you are looking to space yourself from the ledge (tipper Fair/Nair range).

His aerial spacing game is generally quite good, but it upsets me because when I see him space Fair well near the ledge consistently at like 100%, I'm like "why don't you just use Marth? - that would have killed".

He very rarely killed anyone with that fabled Fsmash read at 80%. He was just playing Marth for the majority of times. I'd be very interested to see him use Marth. That, or if he's going to use Lucina, play her more like Lucina, and pressure a little more.

One of my friends in my area used to use Marth, same as me, but we have always been noted for having differing playstyles. He plays rather aggro, trying to pressure the opponent, goes for strong edgeguard reads etc, where as I play a much more passive, defensive spacing game, walling the opponent out, trying to keep them at the ledge etc, trying to take as little damage as possible. The way we played, I always did better than him. However, he's recently switched to Lucina and he's started doing much much better with her. The way he plays translates into Lucina better than with Marth; his ability to pressure shields is better in general. He goes offstage deep for pressuring edgeguards and succeeds more often. In a similar fashion, my Lucina, whils still solid, is just not as effective as my Marth. When I'm walling somebody out and keeping them in a corner, when I land that tipper Fair at 100%, I'm happy when it kills. I notice when I play Lucina there are far more times I think "damn, that would have killed if I was playing Marth", far more than "Okay I'm glad I'm Lucina in this situation".

I honestly just think ZeRo would have done better with Marth by the way he plays.

It's for this reason I always used to say Mr E would have done better with Lucina, but as of late, he's kind of transitioned into being a bit more patient and its good to see.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I find the same thing. And when I play Lucina, half the time I'm thinking 1) I've been getting more tippers with her, just my luck and 2) that would have killed with Marth but the other half is 1) wow I'm dealing so much damage and 2) yup, good decision - this is objectively helping me

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Right now I am just personally frustrated that my Marth loses so easily to Sonics, Sheiks and Diddys, and even top level Clouds.
I do ok vs Bayos, but I did lose to a guy at a tourny who said he used Bayo for 1 week. Had him up to 100%+ and I was at like 30, I got bopped in the air to inescapable Witch Twitch cheese.
I'm sure MkLeo and Mr E feel similarly. It's not like their Marth's have broken any norms lately.
Last time Leo played ZeRo was at Smash Con, and I think he took 1 out of 4 games? But the other 3 were kind of close.
Diddy and other top tiers can just play so much safer. With Marth it's "Pick the ONE SINGLE BEST OPTION and you MIGHT win neutral. PICK THE WRONG OPTION=Certain punish". That is why Marth isn't top tier, imo.
His risk reward factor has been high since the beginning of the game.
Sheik has spaced fair into frame 2 jab or whatever she wants to do.
Diddy has Dtilt that can be spammed for free on shield.
Ryu has the elbow that can force you into having no options to get out of it.
Cloud has... everything.
Bayo has everything and more.
Corrin has instapin.
Mario has UPSMASHWHJIJDHS.
Sanic has push button to win or be safe.
Zss has insane movement options.

I'm not saying Marth can't get the job done. He can, clearly. You just have to be even better than Leo was at ZeRo saga to perform well vs someone who's been playing the game for 6 months and all he's done is do his best to copy cat ZeRo.

Edit, Diddy also has a banana that, if he gets it, he is most likely going to win neutral.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
People are getting better again at punishing Marth's landings. They forgot how to when he got the holy range and damage buffs, but now it's back. Man this character really sucks at landing.

Edit: this is how you win a Marcina ditto too

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
I like to mix up my landing by B reversing Shield Breaker when in the air; like, head to the right, then switch all momentum and go in the opposite direction.

It's not a huge thing, but it helps with landing.

But yes, Marth's landing is still pretty poor. The hardest thing about the Cloud MU is that once he gets you in the air you just don't get back down. The rest of it is manageable.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
The special move I use the most with landing is DB1.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Interesting. In what way do you use this to help you land?
DB1 will halt your fall speed just enough that it can throw people off. That effect is most prominent when you fast fall from high up then DB1 at some point (that's actually how I edgeguard sometimes but I digress). But I also use it right after getting hit/taking vertical knockback - that is where you'll get the double jump to DB1 vertical height without double jump usage. Other times not too high above the ground I'll do DB1 quickly into double jump DB1 then try to land. This one has the benefit of looking cool, especially when you switch DB1 direction. Similarly, if they shield my SH DB1, as a mixup I'll double jump DB1 behind them then land with a drift away Bair, Dair, or a turnaround DB or SB. I do a lot of DB stalling off stage (yes, without a double jump - though I'll do that one too) as well. Of course, what you do after DB1 is its own art form.

Basically I'm a Melee player, it's just not as good as it is there.

Edit: Sometimes after SH Fair or Bair, I double jump DB1, then into another aerial. It's three aerials in one short hop.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Sometimes after SH Fair or Bair, I double jump DB1, then into another aerial. It's three aerials in one short hop
I've never really thought to do this. I think I might have a look at this myself tonight, looks pretty interesting.

-----

Now, I realise this is part of the Smash 4 forum, but I don't really know how alive the Brawl forums are, so I'm asking here; people can DM me if need be...

I'm heading to a 2 day tournament in early September. I'm entering all Smash 4 events across the two days (singles, doubles and crews).

However, on the 2nd day before the crews, there's a Brawl side tournament. I'm going to enter this with my Marth that I haven't used for at least 5 years, so I'm looking to get some general refreshers on Brawl Marth and just Brawl in general. Can anyone help?

Basically I'm looking for general things. What is the best playstyle for me to be playing (you can use Smash 4 Marth as a comparison; like, while you'd use X in Smash 4, use Y in Brawl etc)? Best neutral tools? Combos (if many at all)? What are my best options for momentum cancelling etc? Best stages? Notable things vs certain characters?

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Damn i wish marth didnt lose to so many top tiers :( only reason i secondary cloud
He doesn't. He only loses to 4 top tiers 45-55 (Bayo, Diddy, Sonic, and Sheik - Bayo could also even be closer to even). The only other characters that could really have an edge on him are Meta Knight and Fox, both of which I think are closer to even. I also think he loses to Greninja but that's it.

Bowserboy3

NNID
Bowserboy3
Marth doesn't really outright lose to any top tier. Some MU's might be slightly advantageous for a few (commonly cited MU's include Diddy and Sonic), but he's proven multiple times by his mains at top level that's he's more than capable of going even/beating other top tiers.

He's even a notable CP to some characters like Mario. He does better vs Rosalina on average than most characters in the game (better than even characters like Diddy and Sheik). He has the tools to beat Ryu too, and many people argue nowadays that he could potentially beat Sheik, if we go off of top level results, but that's by the by.

Marth does require more effort than a character like Cloud to be successful with though, so if you're struggling in a MU with Marth, switching to Cloud isn't a bad idea if your trying to win.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Hello. I am a traveling warrior looking for my Smash 4 main(s). As a part of my journey, I will be visiting all the character’s social threads who I think I might main. So, hi! To add some substance to my post, what do you think about character socials? I think they are a great way to talk with fellow people who play the character and learn more about the character as well as being able to chill and talk about stuff irl.

:luigi:Hope to talk with you again!

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Ah yes, almost forgot to post this.

If you're a Marth fan, this is the funniest video you'll ever watch.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
:luigi:Hope to talk with you again!
Welcome to the Marth social thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

On another note, sorry for my absence everyone. I've been living back in Puerto Rico and Hurricane Irma and Maria hit while also being busy with my studies. Regardless, no johns. If there's any changes you'd like to see or have any ideas please let me know.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Welcome to the Marth social thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

On another note, sorry for my absence everyone. I've been living back in Puerto Rico and Hurricane Irma and Maria hit while also being busy with my studies. Regardless, no johns. If there's any changes you'd like to see or have any ideas please let me know.
For one, I'm glad you're safe~ ♥
:196:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Looks like our favorite blue-haired prince is in the new Smash title. Well, kinda. One of the silhouettes look a lot like him at least. Even so, he was obvious. No one's surprised. Still though, nice to get confirmation! Let's dance!

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yeah, saw that edited picture as well. That was 100% Marth. Not that there was a worry. Let's dance indeed.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Let's celebrate Smash 4 Marth. He got pretty far. Far in results, to the point that people complained about him and tournament players may have had to study how to beat him.

And far in... well... combos and damage-per-punish. Please watch this, it is exquisite.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Let's celebrate Smash 4 Marth. He got pretty far. Far in results, to the point that complained about him and tournament players may have had to study how to beat him.

And far in... well... combos and damage-per-punish. Please watch this, it is exquisite.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
They may take our side B
But they'll never take our tippers.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yo, what about Ultimate Marth? Or did everyone go to that faker Lucina? Gosh, I hate her.
Ultimate Marth is extremely frustrating to play. It feels like they really want to take out as many fans of him as possible with his ultimate incarnation.

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
IKR
He’s just so...
I can’t think of a word to describe it.
Now all we see are Lucinas with their falling forward airs. It saddens me to see this once great man dropped down to such low status. And replaced by Lucina of all people.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
IKR
He’s just so...
Now all we see are Lucinas with their falling forward airs. It saddens me to see this once great man dropped down to such low status. And replaced by Lucina of all people.
Don't you think it's more embarrassing that now ROY of all people outclasses him?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don't you think it's more embarrassing that now ROY of all people outclasses him?
Yeah, especially when Roy in his original game might be the most useless piece of deadweight to ever be a main lord unit. Now he's suddenly some hot-headed anime shonen protagonist who screams and hits you with the force of 3 semi-trucks.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Yeah, especially when Roy in his original game might be the most useless piece of deadweight to ever be a main lord unit. Now he's suddenly some hot-headed anime shonen protagonist who screams and hits you with the force of 3 semi-trucks.
Tbf, Roy is only good in Ultimate because the changes to the engine are what indirectly benefit him while Marth got an uncalled and unexcused nerf to his sweetspot's size and the global change to jabs REALLY hurt him.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
IKR
He’s just so...
Don't be trash talking girl Marth like that. She did nothing wrong.

Top Bottom