• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Seizon Senryaku: Marth General

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Hey guys. Been a min!

What's your interest in Marth? Play style and his badassness. That tiara though
How long have you been playing Smash? Since 64. Competitive since Melee
New to/interested in competitive play? Buy me a Wii U so I'm not stuck with vids

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm all fine with his voice still being Japanese. Yeah, traditions kept too long is kinda bad in the long run but let's be honest, one of about 4 games being localized has to really mean Marth needs to talk English... especially when the localized game was not the best of his remakes.

Xeylir

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xeylir
By now I'm so used to the Japanese voice that I fear no English voice could ever live up to it. >_>

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Marth should at least have his "RETS DANCE!" taunt hat was cut rom Melee.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
No... just no. :l
That looks like, similar to Inigo's ENG Voice quote.. just.. don't. :l
"This is your last dance" - Inigo. I had to look it up. :p

Sure, Liam O'Brien can do the womanizing voice, but I kind of wished someone else was used, since whenever I hear Liam, I think of War from Darksiders, but then I see Inigo and have to think for a moment if that's really him. Clip from Darksiders in the spoiler.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
HE IS!???
:marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee:
:marth::marth::marth::marth::marth:
:4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth:
MY GODS! I CAN KNOW NO SUCH THING AS SADNESS NOW!!!
Smash 4 best smash omg yes hikaru never leave marth i can die happy now thank you Japanese gg English marth go die

so he speaks japanese? really?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
HE IS!???
:marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee::marthmelee:
:marth::marth::marth::marth::marth:
:4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth::4marth:
MY GODS! I CAN KNOW NO SUCH THING AS SADNESS NOW!!!
Smash 4 best smash omg yes hikaru never leave marth i can die happy now thank you Japanese gg English marth go die

so he speaks japanese? really?
You don't want a suave, English-speaking Marth? Spike Spencer did that well in Bravely Default. I wonder if that rings a bell... I'll be in my sad corner.

Y'know what would be funny? If Dennis Haysbert voiced Marth. For reference, he's the Allstate guy.

Xeylir

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xeylir
You don't want a suave, English-speaking Marth? Spike Spencer did that well in Bravely Default.
Eh, I didn't really like his Marth performance in that anime from before Melee. Besides, after hearing him as Excellus in Awakening, I really, really don't want to hear that voice as Marth. >__<

Why don't we just take Hikaru Midorikawa and teach him English? That way, everyone wins!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ugh! No way! :c

lol wtf at dennis though XD
I don't know, it's just those spurs of the moments where I wonder what if a character sounded like this. I mean, imagine if Ike sounded like Michael Jackson. It'd be hilarious! Big, tough guy has the sound of a slender dancer and singer.

Eh, I didn't really like his Marth performance in that anime from before Melee. Besides, after hearing him as Excellus in Awakening, I really, really don't want to hear that voice as Marth. >__<

Why don't we just take Hikaru Midorikawa and teach him English? That way, everyone wins!
The anime was made in 1997 when dubbing was either bad or really cheesy. Personally, I like the cheesy dubs like this from Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

I mean, at least they made it interesting compared to older dubs that sounded like they were read off the script. Granted, they probably had to match the mouth movement. And then there's the whole age thing. How old was Marth supposed to be? The dub seems to go off that he's really young which makes sense from a historical point of view where princes were sometimes pre-teens and fought in war.

What about James Arnold Taylor? The voice of Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank and Tidus - they use his natural voice. Or Gideon Emery? Maybe too gruff. Michael E. Rodgers could work - listen to his helmetless voice, know that Final Fantasy XII made use of fancy pronunciations for an otherworldly and older atmosphere, and I think Rodgers used an accent for Gabranth. Oh, and if all else fails: Nolan North. :p

Last edited:

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Patrick Seitz as Marth... please do not try to deny it. It is meant to be.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
I don't know, it's just those spurs of the moments where I wonder what if a character sounded like this. I mean, imagine if Ike sounded like Michael Jackson. It'd be hilarious! Big, tough guy has the sound of a slender dancer and singer.

The anime was made in 1997 when dubbing was either bad or really cheesy. Personally, I like the cheesy dubs like this from Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

I mean, at least they made it interesting compared to older dubs that sounded like they were read off the script. Granted, they probably had to match the mouth movement. And then there's the whole age thing. How old was Marth supposed to be? The dub seems to go off that he's really young which makes sense from a historical point of view where princes were sometimes pre-teens and fought in war.

What about James Arnold Taylor? The voice of Ratchet from Ratchet & Clank and Tidus - they use his natural voice. Or Gideon Emery? Maybe too gruff. Michael E. Rodgers could work - listen to his helmetless voice, know that Final Fantasy XII made use of fancy pronunciations for an otherworldly and older atmosphere, and I think Rodgers used an accent for Gabranth. Oh, and if all else fails: Nolan North. :p
he was 14,
i like taylor a lot actually, thanks for showing me him! the rest were blegh.
either way, i actually like the japanese language more than english. sounds way cooler. just works for me
like the intensity in marth's taunt. that's part hikaru and part the language. japanese emphasize things differently than we do. something that simply can't be translated, at least, not all the time.
my opinion :)

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Haha
he was 14,
either way, i actually like the japanese language more than english. sounds way cooler. just works for me
like the intensity in marth's taunt. that's part hikaru and part the language. japanese emphasize things differently than we do. something that simply can't be translated, at least, not all the time.
I will second this statement, as "Hey everyone, look at me" just sounds dweebish compared to "Minna, miete ite kure" or however the heck you spell it.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
he was 14,
Aww, you don't like Gideon Emery or Michael E. Rodgers? Granted, Rodgers's only known role video game is Final Fantasy XII - Keith Ferguson filled in for Gabranth's Dissidia appearance. Nolan North's Nolan North. His voice is the everyday guy voice. Even though he can do other voices, the industry just wants his everyday voice to make characters relatable or something which is what's happening to Troy Baker - check out his young Joker voice and you'll be sad when all you hear is Snow Villiers from Final Fantasy XIII, Joel from the Last of Us, and Booker DeWitt from Bioshock Infinite.

I remember people wondering if Marth could speak French instead since the whole Anri thing is similar to how Henry is pronounced in French - you rarely pronounce H's in French.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
I'm sorry but that Joker voice pales in comparison to Mark Hamill's. It is unfortunate though that so often when VOA's become known for one voice they get stuck with that voice for many of their roles.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm sorry but that Joker voice pales in comparison to Mark Hamill's. It is unfortunate though that so often when VOA's become known for one voice they get stuck with that voice for many of their roles.
Well, Mark Hamill said he wanted to quick after Arkham City and Arkham Origins wasn't made by the main team, but another team who were probably told to make a quick cash grab. Heck, supposedly, everything's ripped from Arkham City, updated, and done. So, Roger Craig Smith sounds more like Ezio from Assassin's Creed 2 and Troy Baker was the best thing they could find since Hamill said no and it might be the reason The Joker died in Arkham City.

I guess Hamil didn't want to be typecasted anymore since even in Darksiders, he used his Joker voice which fits The Watcher, but he probably just went by instinct after seeing the creepy, manipulative, and dark character. Speaking of which, I don't think I have ever heard Hamil's regular voice or different voice in any other game that isn't related to Star Wars. Shame, what a waste of talent. At least Baker had some stints, but he's the new Nolan North.

Typecasting destroys and prevents voice actors and actresses from reaching their potential. Ali Hillis is usually the cool-sounding woman like Liara or Lightning, but as Palutena, she's wacky and cute. Heck, I didn't realize until a couple more listens.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
Haha

I will second this statement, as "Hey everyone, look at me" just sounds dweebish compared to "Minna, miete ite kure" or however the heck you spell it.
i think it would better translated as "everyone, watch this" or just "Watch this!" i kinda actually have an idea of what i think marth would sound in english. given i like his character a lot. someone had made their own dubs of marth and missed his character entirely, making him cocky and "cool". didn't work. marth isn't the kind of person looking for a fight. instead, he will do anything he can to avoid or end it. when he fights it's for something important. and of course he's royalty.

so i imagine him as having a kind/soft but urgent voice at times, and with very good or upper class english perhaps.
but even my ideal english marth comes nowhere near as good as the original. i just like one language more than the other, and of course, hikaru.

i just fanboyd all over the place. gotta clean up.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There's plenty of ways to get across what Marth is saying while still making it sound cool.
Taunt: "Everyone, pay attention!" The line is meant to be directed at his army; telling them to pay attention makes sense if he's about to start giving orders, such as before they make their charge.
Counter: "As if!" "There you are!" etc.

Keep in mind the Treehouse brought us the scripts of games like Kid Icarus Uprising; they know how to cleverly rewrite lines when needed, and they know how to translate. People are assuming Marth's voice being localized would turn out for the worse, and using the worst examples as their expectation.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
There's plenty of ways to get across what Marth is saying while still making it sound cool.
Taunt: "Everyone, pay attention!" The line is meant to be directed at his army; telling them to pay attention makes sense if he's about to start giving orders, such as before they make their charge.
Counter: "As if!" "There you are!" etc.

Keep in mind the Treehouse brought us the scripts of games like Kid Icarus Uprising; they know how to cleverly rewrite lines when needed, and they know how to translate. People are assuming Marth's voice being localized would turn out for the worse, and using the worst examples as their expectation.
yeah direct translations and such are phooey. i like pay attention. that's the best, screw my opinion. i suck.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
This just in. Ryo Horikawa to do all character voices in the Wii U version. It has been renamed to Super Manly Bros.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Checking in, nice to see the old gang coming back.

The enemies of old are washed away with nerfs. Our time has come.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Either way I'm here to spread my usual lovable Zanoy self and contribute however I can, I'll just try to keep my infractions to a minimum this time around.

keyword: try

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Why is Brawl Marth's design not awesome?
Why is Melee Marth's design awesome?
I guess because Melee brought Marth from just artwork and sprites to a fully-realized 3D model of him and Brawl was just an update. So, Brawl loses much of its charm from updating Marth like that compared to a first-time look at 3D Marth in Melee and SSB4's overhaul to the remakes where Marth looks more badass with his armor, stature, and I guess, more manly face.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think by design he's referring to character specifics, not visuals, "outfits".
Yeah, I didn't read the above. I'm having a really off day by being sick and feeling like my head's foggy.

Anyway, I understand making Falchion shorter in Brawl so it looks like a sword and not a longsword, but SSB4's crossing into dagger area which is even worse for Awakening's reforged Falchion that resembles a longsword. They should have not made Shadow Dragon's Falchion that short and kept Awakening's Falchion long, but scaled if necessary, so Lucina would have at least more differences compared to Dark Pit who at least has different properties as a character and through move set and Dr. Mario who's basically a semi-clone.

Melee shoulda use this Marth
Yay, Melee would be rated T for "Thighs of Justice!". :p

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
... Range hasn't been nerfed....

You should make sure you know what you're talking about, it gets really annoying if people are constantly posting information that is completely wrong as fact because it just stifles/slows us from ever going forward as we constantly have to go back to reaffirm ourselves.

Do some lurking/searching on subjects. Please.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
... Range hasn't been nerfed....

You should make sure you know what you're talking about, it gets really annoying if people are constantly posting information that is completely wrong as fact because it just stifles/slows us from ever going forward as we constantly have to go back to reaffirm ourselves.

Do some lurking/searching on subjects. Please.
I'm going to assume the 3DS makes it look shorter since everyone's small on the 3DS, but I do wished Lucina's Falchion was a bit longer like who it appeared in Awakening.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
I really hope we get Earth's old outfit as DLC or at least the awakening one. This new one doesn't look right on Marth IMO.

Top Bottom