• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

School is in Session 4: *Results!!* UPDATED!! January 8th, 2011!

fonzi21

Smash Ace
My point is also at the fact if you want to WIN, that is your answer. I'm not worried about fun here. I am merely looking at it from a Winning aspect.

Yeah G&W is a very good planker too that's for sure.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
OUGA tournaments are the best. They have serious Falcon Doubles side tournaments. xD
So amazing...

Thanks for the tip Atomsk, your ideals are the opposite of Fonz's. xD I've started picking up random characters, and that always makes the game fun again. :D

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
My point is also at the fact if you want to WIN, that is your answer. I'm not worried about fun here. I am merely looking at it from a Winning aspect.

Yeah G&W is a very good planker too that's for sure.
even from a winning aspect. imo, he's stunting the population of our community. this game isn't going to last the way melee has. when there aren't any players, who is there to take money from? :p

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Or by then... MK will be banned, who knows.

But the one thing you non-mkers have over the other MKs is that they won't practice the **** out of your character, like you will theirs.

D

Deleted member

In the end, it's a game. You should be having fun with it, competitively or casually.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I think you guys are missing Fonz's basic assumption, which is "players that are in the same competitive community have fun by winning at the game they're all playing, beyond all other means relating to the game". If you're playing to win, it doesn't mean that playing for fun is exclusive from it: it's just assumed/implied that by playing to win you're having fun.

That being said, I still dunno how I feel about an LGL.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Nah...the scene, like all good things, will eventually come to a close on its own. MK has had no notable effect on the players in the community who didn't already have plans to move on to the next fad anyway.

I'm all for upholding competitive values but I'll never do so blindly or just for the sake of doing it, and I believe that lines should be drawn if necessary. Jason did one good thing this tournament: he went out of his way and enlightened.

Pro LGL.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
@KB: i suppose.

@Chi: which is a bad assumption imo. who honestly thinks like that aside from m2k and a few other players? (not naming anyone else)

@Austin: i agree.

@Kiest: we should! i know you've been to at least 3-4 tournaments while i was there. i'm a pretty shy guy though, so if i don't play you i'll most likely not talk to you XD

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
MK is currently 15% of our Metagame and only going up from the look of things.

snake is second is out metagame with a total 6.3% from last I saw.

MK will be banned eventually. he's far too popular for people and far too good

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
M2k really didn't plank coney that bad.....Honestly. He had about 41 total ledge grabs, and not all of them were as I would put it "Planking" ledge grabs, 4 were on that large cliff on the left side, and there was a bunch where M2K was waiting to return to the map safely not just planking. His gameplay did force Coney to play differently I agree, but it was not a legitimate plank for the full 8 minutes. I have been planked for a full 8 minutes, and that was nothing like it.

You guys need to realize M2K is ALWAYS playing to win, that's why he is the best. Instead of complaining on the fact "M2K planked like a *****" PICK UP METAKNIGHT, he is playing to win. Don't knock him for abusing a serious advantage he has over other characters. You can play that same character, and if you just have this mindset of "it's gay and I won't resort to that" then you won't win against players who will do anything to win.

Seriously, it should be a law that everyone playing a competitive game has to read David Sirlin's Playing to win.
Agreed.

@Auspher/Lumi, It's not about having fun, it's all about winning.
If you want to win, play Metaknight. Simple as that.
Metaknight is broken, people ARE going to use him to the max if they can. Not because they care about having fun but because they want to win, and they probably will win.

You will never, ever see someone like San (Ike) placing very high (top 3) consistently with Ike. Same with Wolves, or D3s, or Lucarios.
Metaknight is too good. People want to win, not play for fun. What's more better than glory, money, and fame? Sounds lame when it's said like that but seriously... it's true.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
@Auspher Nah.='P I'd like to see some proof of Kain placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd a few times in a row at a nice, big, decent size tournament with good players. Not once every blue moon, but consistently. Didn't happen here.
Most if all people would be better off playing MK.
It's da truuuth.

But, the game isn't as fun if you aren't enjoying it. True. But if winning is more important (which it is to a lot of people) than having fun they will and are playing MK and will use all of the recourses he comes with.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Shoutouts

9: Krystedez :pit: :wario: Daaaaaaaamn didn't think you were gonna brag about the 5$ maybe next time I'll play the MU right and not approach you constantly. Still ggs rematch next time I see you
Hi

Yea

You there

I beat

YOU

best wolf player in world

OF course I'm a little happy lol, sorry I got a little over-excited during the match, that's why I don't do MMs often, if I woulda lost I probably woulda emo-quitted or something. I put too much emotion into it.

I dont think I bragged really, people asked if I beat you when they asked who I'd been playing >>;

In any case gj beating 4B, I think he wants to rematch you first though. We will definitely play again though, I fell into all your crazy upsmashes! but none of that jab shenanigans. I was happy to know that you're just as good offline as you are online. (Same thing happened with Atomsk, except he mains a better character T_T)

and lol at dat frigate nonsense. you should ban that for realz.

@Auspher Nah.='P I'd like to see some proof of Kain placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd a few times in a row at a nice, big, decent size tournament with good players. Not once every blue moon, but consistently. Didn't happen here.
Most if all people would be better off playing MK.
It's da truuuth.

But, the game isn't as fun if you aren't enjoying it. True. But if winning is more important (which it is to a lot of people) than having fun they will and are playing MK and will use all of the recourses he comes with.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Kain wins tourneys....

Deal wit it :cool:

I think the fact that the community is so straight forward with this MK/LGL nonsense is a sign that we are all mature and believe that the game shouldn't be so cut and dry about business (winning money etc..) You know I don't come to your tourneys because I want to win x amount of dollars, right? A lot of people don't. That's the incentive sure, but in the end, the fact you were given such an incentive was great, and a chance at winning money is better than no chance at all for us Americans.

What if we had a tight Japanese-like community, filled with pride, honor, and fun? Minus all that money?

We'd be all over the place in rankings/character variety!

...um I don't know where I'm going with this anymore so just leave it at that, my two cents; if majority wants LGL, I think you should seriously consider it. I don't know what the business is about M2K using planking to win or whatever is about to prove a point, but... Either way :) You already know my opinion.

Oh btw I am not trying to insight an argument about LGL, it's already been done and had. If you want to discuss it, PM me. I just threw this in as a reply-of-sorts... Because I had a bit on my mind after hearing stuff from people.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
My comment wasn't that I've done it XD It was the same reason Coney did it. As a joke that she says our chances of winning are low

D

Deleted member

i don't think she's wrong austin. how many times has wolf placed first through third in major tournaments?
Kain won Brainshock Alpha, which is nothing to scoff at. He won a couple more tournaments around that time, too.

But yeah, what Kain said.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
MK is currently 15% of our Metagame and only going up from the look of things.

snake is second is out metagame with a total 6.3% from last I saw.

MK will be banned eventually. he's far too popular for people and far too good
You realize that number has gone down right? It used to be over 30%. 15% is laughable for the best character in the game. He's not too good, he's just the best character. There is no logic in banning a character because he's popular. The only thing that will do is considerably hurt the community.

No one has used planking to an extent yet to where it's been unbeatable. It's possible technically, just improbable. Even though this is true, the vast majority of the community has already adopted a LGL to squelch ideas of banning mk. It's already been done almost everywhere, we already changed the game. It's arbitrarily keeping mk legal but that's fine by me considering how much time people have put into the character. I think it would hurt our community more to ban mk than to keep the lgl. Just look at the mlg results. 3 mk mains in the top 16. And with stages he's considered broken on. LGL obviously does remove the ledge aspect of the game(a sad loss thinking competitively) but people enjoy it and it makes the game more entertaining for most people. Harms already done, don't bother doing more just let the game evolve as it is since we couldn't do that before. No point in trying to regress.

TP

Smash Master

But, the game isn't as fun if you aren't enjoying it.
Thanks for clearing that up.

In all seriousness, if the vast majority of players, including all of the top players, want a LGL then there should be one. That's just a matter of listening to the community at that point.

Top Bottom