• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Dude, seriously. He deserves the nobel peace prize for his rendition of the smash 64 opening using Brawl.

I wanted to cry after the samus/DK bit. It was so perfect. D=

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I'm on my wii, so just go to youtube and type in M.A.L.R.

and it should bring you to a list of his videos. You will know it when you see it. It is something like "smash bros. 64 intro" or something like that.

Loek

Smash Rookie
Brawl, let me laugh

This thread is...pretty much dead/spam bait.

Clean it up or its finally getting that lock.
Do you want to know the cause? It was a huge mistake to let little brawl playing kids join smashboards. The game brawl is all about smashing buttons. I played the game for like 2 weeks and I only found out that it is a horrible game and melee has more depth. Why would melee be any better? Melee had great spacing abilities that could lead to mindgames. There are almost no mindgames available for brawl (and will never be) because the spacing and gameplay is just not what a fighter likes to see and play. By the way, the most of these brawl players will be one day players that have never played any other game of the smash serie.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Well, it seems like you have many misconceptions about the game, so I think its quite obvious that you don't play it. If you did, then you'd actually know that "The game brawl is all about smashing buttons" is the dumbest statement thats been made in quite some time.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Get Loek out of here. Undoubtedly there are people who prefer melee but even the more diehard purists will acknowledge the fact that brawl is more than just button mashing, it just is not as technical. If someone prefers the art of Michelangelo over that of Jan van Eyck, it doesn't cause Jan van Eycks art to no longer BE art. Things can be different, more appropriate for competition, but that doesn't require a bunch of lurkers to come out of the woodwork and bash brawl just because it's the fashionable thing to do.

Loek

Smash Rookie
van Eyck's **** was ridiculous.
I agree with this quote because this thread goes about the competitive play. I just mentioned some opinions, what would be wrong with that? Brawl is just not made for competitive play, it is made for childs that will play their first game. Please look at the online mode of brawl. Is this 'the' online mode that we expected? Look at the xbox360 network and please post a normal post if you would.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Melee was not made for competitive play either. The whole series has been party games that we've decided to play competitively.

And of course 360's online is much better. I highly prefer my 360 to my Wii because Microsoft doesn't send the core gamers off to die in the corner like nintendo is doing.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Bashing Nintendo is legit.

Best thing that came out of their E3 is that the Mario and LoZ teams MAY be working on something.

The slightest hint of a core game beats the 30 pieces of vaporware they were pushing.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Nintendo is getting too caught up in how you play games than with the quality of what you're actually playing. All this peripheral nonsense. They're trying to make you buy into the thing that you use to play the game, but blind you to what you're actually playing. Style over substance.

It's certainly a more profitable business model though.

To make it a bit more related, that's sort of what I feel happened with the Smash series. I wouldn't have thought it was possible for the company who wanted to de-emphasize graphics the most somehow be the one in the end is the one trying to deliver only on flash.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Melee was not made for competitive play either. The whole series has been party games that we've decided to play competitively.
Here's the difference between 64/Melee and Brawl that people fail to realize. 64 and Melee were just made without competitiveness in mind. Brawl was designed specifically NOT to become a competitive game. Yes, it is inherently competitive, but Sakurai specifically intended for Brawl to be uncompetitive (hence why the quality of Brawl's metagame is so.......dull and broken).

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Here's the difference between 64/Melee and Brawl that people fail to realize. 64 and Melee were just made without competitiveness in mind. Brawl was designed specifically NOT to become a competitive game. Yes, it is inherently competitive, but Sakurai specifically intended for Brawl to be uncompetitive (hence why the quality of Brawl's metagame is so.......dull and broken).
100% accurate.

Adi

Smash Lord
They would have still made the same amount of money even if they promoted competitive themes in the gameplay. There really is nothing to gain from trying to bring the competitive community down unless they truly believe that no one should be better than anyone else.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
You only think it's dull and broken because you don't bother to play it the same way you would look at Melee or Smash 64. You go in playing Brawl knowing that it doesn't have the techs and available options that Melee has, and thus you find it empty and unfulfilling. Anybody who's entering a game/function/event expecting it to be crap will look at the downfalls and say it's crap. Fine, think of it as you want, but other people, like myself, find this game very competitive. The accessability to high-level gaming through its easier controls, not to mention its online capabilites, could drive more people into Brawl than having a game fileld with advanced techs coming out the wazoo.

Melee may have a higher degree of competitiveness, but most people play to win. I certainly don't think that Brawl is too shallow that winning only makes a hollow feeling, and most people don't. If you think you're too good to play Brawl, then play Melee.

Basicially this.

globiumz

Smash Apprentice
The accessability to high-level gaming through its easier controls, not to mention its online capabilites, could drive more people into Brawl than having a game fileld with advanced techs coming out the wazoo.

Melee may have a higher degree of competitiveness, but most people play to win. I certainly don't think that Brawl is too shallow that winning only makes a hollow feeling, and most people don't. If you think you're too good to play Brawl, then play Melee.
1. lol online.

2. You don't think Brawl gives you a hollow feeling after victory? lmao. Play on REAL competitive level in a few months, when the metagame most likely has degenerated into spamming and camping. I'm sure winning with that gives a great feeling of satisfaction. :laugh:

Reaver197

Smash Lord
You only think it's dull and broken because you don't bother to play it the same way you would look at Melee or Smash 64. You go in playing Brawl knowing that it doesn't have the techs and available options that Melee has, and thus you find it empty and unfulfilling. Anybody who's entering a game/function/event expecting it to be crap will look at the downfalls and say it's crap. Fine, think of it as you want, but other people, like myself, find this game very competitive. The accessability to high-level gaming through its easier controls, not to mention its online capabilites, could drive more people into Brawl than having a game fileld with advanced techs coming out the wazoo.

My issue is that when I played Brawl, it's that it felt suffocating, as if the game was smothering me to hold me down. I was honestly really excited for this game when it came out, and I played it a lot. It was after a week or so I started to begin to wane in my excitement and like for it and began to understand why. I didn't enter the game with an ounce of predisposition to dislike it, yet now, here I am now, vociferously against it.

What do you mean by "when"? :/

It always has been...
I don't completely agree with this statement, I don't think that's quite the reason why Brawl's seems so bad competitively in comparision to Melee, though it is a reason.

BTW, add me on the resurrecting Melee boat :). I just could not take it trying to prove to many that Brawl wasn't all that bad, I think I lost it around the time of the MK Dimensional Cape being fould.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, whatever brings you to your senses I guess. I just don't see this MK tech being as broken as everyone says as long as the person doesn't specifically stall with it. If they stall, then you kick them from the tourny. How is that any different from before? If someone was limited to so many butt slams with Peach, then why not seconds of invisibility? Anyway...

Yeah, bring back Melee.

Well, whatever brings you to your senses I guess. I just don't see this MK tech being as broken as everyone says as long as the person doesn't specifically stall with it. If they stall, then you kick them from the tourny. How is that any different from before? If someone was limited to so many butt slams with Peach, then why not seconds of invisibility? Anyway...

Yeah, bring back Melee.
He is my Brawl main, I got tired of constantly being called a Tier ***** by Brawl noobs because I seemed to main many potential High/Top Tier characters (When your a consistent Tier list maker in a board's community and every day you get criticized for putting characters in Low/Bottom and having to explain why they're bad, it's hard to just turn around and use the character as well), this tech would make the criticism unbearable, and this is what made me overall rethink everything I had previously known. Why should I continue contributing to a community that seems completely hopeless and overrun by a new generation that's raging with idiots and noobs alike? What was it going to accomplish if they never learned? At least the majority of the Melee community is sensible and intelligent, in Brawl those kind of people are quite rare

This tech makes MK's approach literally unstoppable, and probably makes him even more powerful than Snake considering even he has his subtle weaknesses. Sure I'll still loosely follow Brawl in the events of a miracle changing everything, and I'll still go to the occasional Tournament for it, but I just do not see the point in putting all of my effort and free time into game where not only is it a superior counterpart, but has a much better comunnity to work with.

Fletch

Smash Master
He is my Brawl main, I got tired of constantly being called a Tier ***** by Brawl noobs because I seemed to main many potential High/Top Tier characters (When your a consistent Tier list maker in a board's community and every day you get criticized for putting characters in Low/Bottom and having to explain why they're bad, it's hard to just turn around and use the character as well), this tech would make the criticism unbearable, and this is what made me overall rethink everything I had previously known. Why should I continue contributing to a community that seems completely hopeless and overrun by a new generation that's raging with idiots and noobs alike? What was it going to accomplish if they never learned? At least the majority of the Melee community is sensible and intelligent, in Brawl those kind of people are quite rare

This tech makes MK's approach literally unstoppable, and probably makes him even more powerful than Snake considering even he has his subtle weaknesses. Sure I'll still loosely follow Brawl in the events of a miracle changing everything, and I'll still go to the occasional Tournament for it, but I just do not see the point in putting all of my effort and free time into game where not only is it a superior counterpart, but has a much better comunnity to work with.
Hell yes. I went to a smashfest tonight that was all Melee, and I'm glad to be back playing... Once you go back, you realize how inferior and boring Brawl really is.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Thank goodness for Nintendo's private conference. It's almost like Nintendo has this secret love affair with the core gamers. As long as none of the casuals know, they'll keep giving us goodies behind their back.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I see a "we're working on a Pikmin" announcement, a Castlevania...fighting game (???), and Fatal Frame 4.

I guess that rumor that they might announce a USB HDD was also a bust, come to think of it. No Brawl updates/new characters then.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I see a "we're working on a Pikmin" announcement, a Castlevania...fighting game (???), and Fatal Frame 4.

I guess that rumor that they might announce a USB HDD was also a bust, come to think of it. No Brawl updates/new characters then.
Didn't Sakurai specifically say there would be no downloadable characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom