• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Business-wise, it's one of the smartest moves that any of the Final Fantasy producers/creators could have done. More platforms=more money.

And Wolvy, thanks for the Kumby link the other night. Now I can watch Code Geass and fuggin' Claymore. Yeahyuzzz!

Smooth Criminal
Maybe so, but it takes away another great reason to buy the ps3. Now anyone who owns the 360 who was contemplating buying a ps3 won't have to. The ps3 is losing Sony so much money, why give people another reason not to buy one?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Maybe so, but it takes away another great reason to buy the ps3. Now anyone who owns the 360 who was contemplating buying a ps3 won't have to. The ps3 is losing Sony so much money, why give people another reason not to buy one?
True. I am a huge fan of the Playstation (arguably more so than any Nintendo console) and it is disappointing to see their crowning jewel get shot to ****. But even you have to admit, though, Sony could have done some things better when the console first launched. Things like lowering the price down and putting out high-end, hype games right out of the gate would've helped them immensely (not saying that any of the first generation titles that came out for the PS3 were BAD, it's just that Microsoft put out some **** good exclusive games to rope their people in). I don't even want to get in to Blu-Ray, but...eh. I would've been happier if it played like, say, HD-DVDs or summat.

I dunno.

Smooth Criminal

*Facepalm*

Nintendo is GETTING TOO CASUAL!!!

Honestly that Press conference was a load of crap. All we got was WII *Insert noun/action here* and crap like that. What about the Core titles that made Nintendo what it is, No Mario? No LoZ? Hell no F-zero who hasn't had a console game since GX? No building on the Pikmin series?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
On CNN there was a story this morning about how it costs approximately 800 dollars to produce the 40gb PS3 which is sold for 400 dollars, and how their whole business strategy is to make up the difference on units sold in software. Problem is, losing any of their platform exclusive properties is going to become a true double edged sword. I think Sony does well enough financially apart from the gaming entertainment portion, but they are pretty much up a river without a paddle. They could use something BIG.

Holy cow. Pikmin would have been slick.

lol, I got 81 dollars trade in value for Brawl, GTA4 and just the disc from Link's Crossbow Training.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
On CNN there was a story this morning about how it costs approximately 800 dollars to produce the 40gb PS3 which is sold for 400 dollars, and how their whole business strategy is to make up the difference on units sold in software. Problem is, losing any of their platform exclusive properties is going to become a true double edged sword. I think Sony does well enough financially apart from the gaming entertainment portion, but they are pretty much up a river without a paddle. They could use something BIG.
QFT and great Justice.

Smooth Criminal

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo's conference sucked balls. Just pray for them to have something still hidden...

Remember Brawl's announcement? it was two days after the Nintendo E3 conference.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Sony, you're up for being the vanguard of E3.

Edit: lol, I'm having second thoughts as to whether Brawl's announcement was actually a good thing.

Nintendo is going the way of making sure you can never fail at their games. They wrap you up so safe and coddle you so much, I don't see how it can be that fun in the end without some tension.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Back in 2006 Sony was losing $241.35 for every 60gb PS3 sold, and $306.85 for every 20gb PS3 sold. For this reason they discontinued making the 60gb model, which was the only one that could play PS2 games without using emulation.

I bought a 60gb PS3 off Ebay last week. I'm very excited about it.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I liked in th Microsoft Press Conference when they compared the sales of third part games of the 360 to PS3 and Wii, which combined fell short of the 360's.

The Wii needs some good third parties, because all of them are AWFUL.

PS3 is understandable to be lower. I listened to a story on NPR about the difference between the third party approval process differences between Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft tend to at least try and filter out the crap by forcing them to meet a modest checklist of requirements, while Nintendo jsut doesn't have a process at all lol.

Nintendo=MAKE A GAME N WELL SELL IT LOLOLOL

So let's get this straight, the PS3 is screwed six ways to sunday because the things that was meant to compensate for 400$ difference in Production to price values has been hijacked by the 360, The Wii is turning into a casual ****fest but since that crowd is huge they still get that money, but screw over oirginal/Hardcore gamers (Animal Crossing? WTF?), and the 360 is just swimming in a pile of riches with an insane Library of games. the slight difference in overall console power between the supposed superior system in that facet (PS3)being overall meaningless at this point, the best Online service.

I think I have a feeling which Console in winning this generation's console war -_-.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Back in 2006 Sony was losing $241.35 for every 60gb PS3 sold, and $306.85 for every 20gb PS3 sold. For this reason they discontinued making the 60gb model, which was the only one that could play PS2 games without using emulation.

I bought a 60gb PS3 off Ebay last week. I'm very excited about it.
How much did you pick it up for? I just traded systems(my 360 and halo3 for his ps3 and MGS4) with my bud for a week so I could play what was, in my opinion, the only game that would have made it worth buying one.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I bought it for $425, still waiting for it to come in the mail. It's used, but supposed to be in good condition, with everything working properly.

Some games I am planning to get for PS3:
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition
MGS4
Little Big Planet
Resident Evil 5
Rock Band 2

Maybe will get:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Rock Band 1
Devil May Cry 4

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Resistance is pretty fun. Definitely get Ninja Gaiden Sigma, but only if you don't mind the difficulty of it. Consider getting Stardust on the PSN as well. It's pretty good.

PS3 has been really ramping it up, they've been really aggressively dropping their price, really working on creating some good in-house games, and have been bringing up the quality of their online interaction/play (with the help of 2.41). I would go as far as to say I enjoy my PS3 more than my 360, and I definitely use it more.

Edit: Oh yeah, give a consideration to Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank.

gantrain05

Smash Master
i'll never buy a 360, i can have plenty of fun playing my ps2 and all its brilliant library of games. and as for online play, i'll stick with pc games thx anyway microsoft.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
What continues to piss me off is how Nintendo REFUSES to make a new Kirby game/Star Fox game/F-Zero game/etc. and continues with **** shovelware, and all the games I WANT to play are on Xbox 360, and I can't afford the **** thing.

Seriously, I am a Ninja Gaiden diehard. You guys can't even begin to fathom my fan-ness towards that game.

Do you have any idea how hard it is not to sell my kidney JUST so I can buy a 360 and Ninja Gaiden? With the job market in the condition it is, it is completely ridiculous at how hard it is to find a job. I JUST got back from Radioshack and I won't know if I got the job until the end of the day.

The relevance of bringing that up and finger wagging at Nintendo is this:

I wouldn't FEEL so starved if the Nintendo would quit DI CKING around and make some **** quality titles.

ASKLDJGHAD;KLGH!

What continues to piss me off is how Nintendo REFUSES to make a new Kirby game/Star Fox game/F-Zero game/etc. and continues with **** shovelware, and all the games I WANT to play are on Xbox 360, and I can't afford the **** thing.

Seriously, I am a Ninja Gaiden diehard. You guys can't even begin to fathom my fan-ness towards that game.

Do you have any idea how hard it is not to sell my kidney JUST so I can buy a 360 and Ninja Gaiden? With the job market in the condition it is, it is completely ridiculous at how hard it is to find a job. I JUST got back from Radioshack and I won't know if I got the job until the end of the day.

The relevance of bringing that up and finger wagging at Nintendo is this:

I wouldn't FEEL so starved if the Nintendo would quit DI CKING around and make some **** quality titles.

ASKLDJGHAD;KLGH!

This, minus your personal problems >_>.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I can't really decide between Microsoft's or Sony's press conferences. I'm more excited about Sony's because my PS3 should be arriving soon, but Nintendo's definitely blowed.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Brawl doesen't suck...

If you play it like you would pokemon snap and get endless joy by taking nifty little pictures! :bee:

Seriously, I have more fun taking pictures than playing the actual game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom