• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Miyamoto did actually address the harddrive issue though.

5 million$ to whoever can guess what Miyamoto said about THAT... D=

Anyways, I finally had a chance to play Brawl online....

What the hell? I would have had a better chance playing with my ***. The move delay was horrendous! D=

Miyamoto did actually address the harddrive issue though.

5 million$ to whoever can guess what Miyamoto said about THAT... D=

Anyways, I finally had a chance to play Brawl online....

What the hell? I would have had a better chance playing with my ***. The move delay was horrendous! D=

Someone's late to the party >_>

I really wonder why they couldn't make the online as good as MKWii's, it has excellent Online.

gantrain05

Smash Master
he might have said theres no DLC now, but lets keep complaining till he hears us, he's bound to release an external hard drive and DLC then, right?!

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
1. lol online. Last time I checked, Melee doesn't have an online feature. Considering my community has precisely zero competitive Smash players, online Brawl has become an excellent way to leap into the competition. It helps me discern my weaknesses, improve my matchups, and prepares me for the times when I can enter a tournament. The lag isn't even that much of a problem, and it seems that I'm the only person that experiences this.

2. You don't think Brawl gives you a hollow feeling after victory? lmao. Play on REAL competitive level in a few months, when the metagame most likely has degenerated into spamming and camping. I'm sure winning with that gives a great feeling of satisfaction. :laugh: Let me guess, you think I'm a MK/Snake main that stays on one side of the stage and throws projectiles and laughs when people try to approach me. If I'm right, you disgust me. I don't spam, and I only camp when approaching is needlessly stupid. I analyze the match, look into the opponent's strategy, try approaches/defenses and do whatever it takes to get past the defenses. If I happen to play a camper/spammer, I do whatever I can to counter said camping/spamming. If I win, good for me; if I lose, I need to do a better job at countering that strategy. Winning at any game gives me satisfaction.
On another note, NSS, what is this Dimensional Cape tech? Has this been discovered yesterday? What happened that made his approach literally unstoppable?

I think you go that wrong:

"If you aren't good enough to play Melee, then play Brawl."
The thing is, I have not heard one person in this thread say that they play Brawl because Melee is too inaccessible/that it's pointless to go in at Melee's advanced age and when everyone's practically a genius at it/that they can't comprehend the advanced techniques. Yet every Melee player feels fine with "Brawl's gameplay is shallow and broken," and "MK/Snake are too unstoppable, only those characters will ever win tournaments and I can't stop them," and "I'll never get past the camping/spamming because it's the only strategy, so I'll join them and camp and spam and never think about incorporating actual strategy."

So no, my statement stands.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
No one has really whined like you say we have. I've done fine in tournaments and fine against MK's and Snakes. We don't say we'll never get past the camping. You seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing, Clai.

And I too have not yet seen this dimensional cape thing.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
The way I see it is that if you want a truly competitive experience, expand your area a bit. There are a handful of really great competitive games that will help apply balance to what Brawl may lack for you.

You don't have to diminish your playing experience with Brawl by continuing to be let down with how the competitive scene is shaping up as far as Brawl goes.

I don't see why people are so tempt on torturing themselves to get something out of a game that they truly believe will not be extracted from it y'know?

Scar

#HarveyDent
The thing is, I have not heard one person in this thread say that they play Brawl because Melee is too inaccessible/that it's pointless to go in at Melee's advanced age and when everyone's practically a genius at it/that they can't comprehend the advanced techniques.
I've actually heard that more than quite a few times. And I would agree with the advice to switch to Brawl if Melee is too difficult for someone.

You fancy city folk and your high speed interwizardries and other confangled hoo hah and gizwhuzzuts.

SOME of us live out in the sticks here. Cut me some slack here. :(
On another note, NSS, what is this Dimensional Cape tech? Has this been discovered yesterday? What happened that made his approach literally unstoppable?
He can basicially turn invisible fora prolonged period of time, approach you, and pop back out at any time he wishes, if he can grab the ledge, he has no cooldown time AT ALL. He was already hard to stop from approaching, now he's 100% guarenteed to get ya.

gizwhuzzuts.

LOLZ gizwhuzzuts

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
There is one small flaw with using MK's approach - it requires quickly slamming the c-stick upwards over and over again, so the other person will probably tire their arm quickly. Within the game itself, the AT would make MK invincible forever, if the technique-user has the stamina to keep it up.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
There is one small flaw with using MK's approach - it requires quickly slamming the c-stick upwards over and over again, so the other person will probably tire their arm quickly.
I wasn't aware pushing a stick with your thumb repeatedly could tire out your whole arm.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
1. The c-stick tiring out your arm is so god **** ridiculous that I still have not stopped laughing since reading it.

2. Dark night at 11:59 TONIGHT

RDK

Smash Hero
There is one small flaw with using MK's approach - it requires quickly slamming the c-stick upwards over and over again, so the other person will probably tire their arm quickly. Within the game itself, the AT would make MK invincible forever, if the technique-user has the stamina to keep it up.
^ I do this instead of going to the gym now.

Edit: ZOMFG BATMAN 2 OPENS TOMORROW.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Dimensional cape doesn't look that good. Apparently it is pretty difficult to sustain and keep MK invisibly. I know the slash can be out prioritized. It just looks like a new way to stall.

And why would anyone want to do that for a whole match? Brawl has a bad rep for being spammy and campy, but what will happen when it becomes who can get the first kill and then jsut go invisible for 7 minutes.

RDK

Smash Hero
It's looking to be banned in tournaments, although I'm not sure about the specifics. The video of it wasn't too descriptive. What exactly does it allow you to do while you're invisible?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Seems pretty simply. Doesn't look like you can attack out of it aside from the dimensional capes attack, and you can use it to edge guard. It seems more like a stalling technique more than anything else.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I wasn't aware pushing a stick with your thumb repeatedly could tire out your whole arm.
1. The c-stick tiring out your arm is so god **** ridiculous that I still have not stopped laughing since reading it.
Actually, the guy who revealed the tech and dozens of people who tried it also said that it hurts your arm after a while. :)

metaXzero

Smash Champion
You are invincible, invisible, and intangible for as long as you can maintain it. Their is no way to know when you will strike and only a few stages will protect your opponent from it.

RDK

Smash Hero
I guess the only solution is to reduce the tourament standard time limit to the lenght of the MK cape stall so it has no practical value whatsoever.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Problem with that is it works until there is an erroneous input by the user. If you play the guy who is good enough to even stretch it out a while here and there with it, you will run into great problems. It doesn't take a straight infinite DC, it takes well placed, shorter and more strategically advantageous IDC's.

I Pika

Smash Cadet
While I feel that melee was more Offensive brawl is totally defense based. In 2 years pro matches will last upwards 30mins (4 stock FD). Otherwise I think Brawl is superior to melee

RDK

Smash Hero
While I feel that melee was more Offensive brawl is totally defense based. In 2 years pro matches will last upwards 30mins (4 stock FD). Otherwise I think Brawl is superior to melee
New levels of laughability have been reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom