• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Read a little about it, go is an awseome game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(board_game)
Don't doublepost, and learn to link.

Also, I liked better the Poker-Chess comparison. Chess is only skill, but in Poker there is some luck involved. (Tripping, anyone? I got my first true death from tripping yesterday. It sucks. But just before that, my opponent also lost a stock because he tripped... lol, it really balanced itself!)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I have it set to max amount of posts per page, so I can see the double.

Also, GET BACK ON TOPIC.

It sucks to be a buzzkill, but someone has to do it :/

Corigames

Smash Hero
Can we get onto the topic of why you are SamuraiPanda? Where did you get such a fascinating and unique name?

If not, then I think that this conversation has come to a close. I don't think anything in this thread can be said without it have already been said at least once before and responded to by the same people. I honestly do.

What new could we possibly talk about? I think we've had at least one page on every character from Brawl and Melee, all the techniques, all the pros, different situations for different things, videos, pictures, and the Mods have already said that this thread is on the edge of going under.

Now, I love to sit and debate, but not the same crap over and over again. So I don't WANT to see this thread go, but if all it is going to be is circle jerking, then go ahead and close it.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Really, what is the harm of discussing other things other than the material provided?

It's tapped out, and it is getting the users to calm down from the heat of debate.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Te harm is that this thread could, potentially, bump otehr threads off the first page with more meaningful or fresh discussion. Plus, keeping this thread alive means there is an extra 400 pages of information stored on a server somewhere.

Plus, if debaters were getting in heat... I mean, if debates were getting heated, then closing the thread would be an even better excuse for mods to close this thread.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Te harm is that this thread could, potentially, bump otehr threads off the first page with more meaningful or fresh discussion. Plus, keeping this thread alive means there is an extra 400 pages of information stored on a server somewhere.

Plus, if debaters were getting in heat... I mean, if debates were getting heated, then closing the thread would be an even better excuse for mods to close this thread.

Even when it comes down to bumping meaningful debate down because this is always at the top, it is also in General Brawl Discussion. Meaningful sort of loses some of its potency in that context.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I wish we could just change the title to open discussion, slide it over to the pool room, and just talk about E3 and how Microsoft realllly took Sony to pound town.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Well, so: if this debate is to be closed, we must post our conclusions (In order to reach 400 hundred), and give this thread its respectful end.

Scar said:
Those who should win will win.
And those that should win at Brawl have been winning pretty consistently. Look at DSF on the West, and Azen, Mew2King on the East.

We could also talk about how much East>>>>West, look at Azen's consistent **** on DSF:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=kncHeytnYPA&fmt=18
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=FjgBYz0Q4Fg&&fmt=18

So, Brawl is suitable for competition. It may be less competitive than Melee, (I am sure Melee is more competitive) but Brawl is also competitive.

But, those MM data (a few pages ago) show us that Melee's popularity is decreasing. It may not be dieing, but at least, it is decreasing, while Brawl's tourneys are getting bigger. I am not saying that we should all jump to Brawl, just that it seems to have a bigger community.

Tl;dr version: Brawl has competitive future. Just not as "competitive" as Melee's.

Ps: Forgive my bad English, I am Spanish.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well if you think about it, if Melee can pull together moderate attendances in the face of a game that simply attracts more people, it's not entirely dying. Imagine having thousands upon thousands of players who buy Brawl and start playing it with each other. If it can get moderate turnouts like MM even though a disproportinately large nubmer of players are flocking to brawl, that doesn't sound like dying to me. It may not be thriving, but it is surviving.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I wish we could just change the title to open discussion, slide it over to the pool room, and just talk about E3 and how Microsoft realllly took Sony to pound town.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they had much else other than a "ha ha Sony, we're multiplatforming ur exclusives". Gears of War 2 was pretty much the only thing that appealed to me. The rest of it was...360 is a netflix service/casual game machine now?

Fallout 3 looks...weird. I can't say yet whether I'm liking it or not.

But anyway, Melee is what I play with my friends, so it's staying for me, even unto the end of the world, mwa ha ha ha.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I traded in Brawl and GTA4 towards NCAA 09 which I'm going to pick up right now. Did you know Brawl still has a 30 dollar trade in value? Think about it.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
I'm waiting to see the Sony press conference. I just bought a PS3 so I hope they deliver some good stuff this year.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Who authorized FFXIII being made for the 360? That's one of the most horrible decisions I've ever seen.
Business-wise, it's one of the smartest moves that any of the Final Fantasy producers/creators could have done. More platforms=more money.

And Wolvy, thanks for the Kumby link the other night. Now I can watch Code Geass and fuggin' Claymore. Yeahyuzzz!

Smooth Criminal

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
LOL Wii Music is going to blow. Everyone will get so bored of "pretending" to play instruments.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
Well, it's nice to know my fears of the Nintendo E3 announcements sucking so bad no one mentioned them have been diminished.

I have crap to do in town, so I won't be back for a few hours. Can someone do me a favor and PM me the turnout from their E3 stage, or post all the juicy stuff here?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
So far Nintendo is sucking hardcore. Yeah, they're getting brisk sales, but I still feel that the Wii fails hard compared to the other two consoles.

EDIT: So the major announcements for Nintendo are: Shaun White snowboarding, Animal Crossing City Folk, Wii MotionPlus, Wii Fit Resort, Wii Music. Nothing exciting, what a crappy excuse for a press conference.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
crecente - Most music games require you to press buttons with precise timing matching symbols on screen to compete for the strongest performance

crecente - We designed wii music to allow everyone... to experience the joy of performing music

SHOOT ME

Corigames

Smash Hero
I was most sad that nothing big was announced. The only things mentioned were Wii INSERTACTIONHERE titles, and not REAL games for the Wii. Hmmm... oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom