• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar on the Melee vs Brawl debate: What does competitive really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Oh, my bad. I must have missed what sparked the whole thing in the first place. However, what I said still stands. Also, I hope the explicit material outlined in that post is not seen in bad taste by our overlords, the moderators.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
It's been a loooooong day.

So...

Truce.

Cause really, this whole thread is always about walking on eggshells, so it was kind of my bad to assume you were directing it at me.

But the whole stop saying it's dead comment of yours is what really got under my skin. Had you just specified in the beginning, that would have negated the whole vibe of you directing that post at me.

My bad.

Long day.

Sorry.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I've just started watching so don't ruin season one for me lol.

I'm on episode 4 and I'm hooked.

To me it's like Mobile Suit Gundam meets Death Note.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LMAO because that's EXACTLY what it is. Oh man, you're going to see TONS of similarities to Death Note. Some good, some bad. I'm suprised you're hooked, I didn't start liking the show until after the halfway point. It gets much better as it goes along and that's always a good thing.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
First episode I saw was the one this past weekend on Adult Swim and it was deep in the story and i had no idea what was gonig on but it was all so cool lol.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
English dubs are the best! I hate reading when I don't have to, so I don't watch anime with subtitles or post on online forums...

...Oh wait.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
And Code Geass. Don't say anything about season 2. I haven't started it yet because I'm waiting for it to finish. I can't stand waiting a week for one episode.
Dude, you're going to have to wait a while then. They're only on episode 14.

And you should watch the first episode of season 2 anyway, it's so freakin' epic!

Lelouche (I probably spelled his name wrong) is too **** smart!:laugh:

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LOL yeah I don't think there's an "e" at the end. I'm afraid if I start I won't be able to stop and I'll be caught up to where they are. I can't let that happen so I'll wait 11 more weeks. Omg that's sounds painfully long when you say it. Maybe I'll give in soon.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
LOL yeah I don't think there's an "e" at the end. I'm afraid if I start I won't be able to stop and I'll be caught up to where they are. I can't let that happen so I'll wait 11 more weeks. Omg that's sounds painfully long when you say it. Maybe I'll give in soon.
GIVE ME A PLACE IN WHICH TO STREAM THIS FUGGIN' ANIME! I NEED TO WATCH IT.

Smooth Criminal

thumbswayup

Smash Master
ROFL Smooth, I don't know any sites to stream anime. I always download them or get them from my friends. That was the cas with Code Geass. I'll ask them for a site where you can get it tonight.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I need to start watching late night Adult Swim. I guess missing out on Saturday night action has no excuse, but weeknights and Sunday I watch Scrubs and That 70's Show, which are both amazing. Then again, I'm a newb in anime, but they have clubs in college precisely for that purpose (that's how I knew about the Meloncholy of Haruhi Suzeiymeya [yeah, I'm going to have a different spelling every time I write this]). Anime for the win, especially when you watch it in Japanese with English subtitles.

In other news, Melee is still amazing, but I'm still with Brawl.

clowsui

Smash Legend
imeem is a good stream, just takes a long time to load

also lelouch x cc is awesome.
if you don't ship this you are ignoring obvious canon

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I ****ing love that game!:laugh:
It truly is the best competitive fighter out in this current generation.

Street Fighter 4 might be competitive friendly, but I doubt it.

I don't know why, but I am just not getting a good vibe from it.

-----

And now to jump into all this anney moo business.

S-Cry-Ed was probably the best action anime I have seen in a while.

I just finished Elfen Lied recently. ****, blood, gore and a bad *** cop? Um, yes please. Ending blew though.

Rah-Xephon is VERY good. VERY VERY VERY good. AMAZING story.

I recently bought Guyver, because I love that series. Haven't watched but a couple episodes though.

Death Note makes me throw up in my mouth, and I can't get into Code Geass.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Wow, this topic moves fast....

I find it kinda funny a lot of people read that I was part of competative Melee in my posts and then blatantly ignored the last part when posting stuff like this:

What the ****... you = who???
When I clearly admitted that I don't have a reputation because I was never good enough to place high:

me said:
[...] if you were to use the fact I did not do impressively in any major tournament as a reason for arguing against my credability, that would work because I admit I haven't done anything particularly noteworthy, even after the transition to Brawl.
I'm pretty much a nobody because I'm simply not good enough to be the next M2K/Azen/etc. It's why I'm just countering random points in these topics and I don't bother trying to make any serious arguments as to which is better (competatively or otherwise).

As for the current topic... I really didn't like Death Note, but I do, amusingly, like Code Geass. I guess giant robots really DO make everything better!

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm going to go watch a solid 9 hours of DVR'd E3 coverage.

When I come back, this had better be back to something at least tangential to the Brawl vs Melee debate.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Somebody who knows a little can at least not get flamed as hard.

Melee is faster and more interesting to watch. Thus, melee should be the more competitively viable game. However, it is not. Why? Because it is an old game and has a sequel.

Reguardless of which game is more appropriate for competition, Brawl is the game that is more popular (for competition), and thus, is the game in which a competitive community can more easily form. By the definition of viable as being the game which it is more practical to form a competitive community around, Brawl wins, because more people choose to play at Brawl tournaments than melee tournaments.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
By that definition SoulCalibur3 > SoulCalibur2, Counter-Strike Source > Counter-Strike 1.6, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody > Immaterial and Missing Power, and Planet Puzzle League > Tetris Attack.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Look at that! Apparently everyone is under the delusion that what I say matters, and snapped right back into debate. GG's to all.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
By that definition SoulCalibur3 > SoulCalibur2, Counter-Strike Source > Counter-Strike 1.6, Scarlet Weather Rhapsody > Immaterial and Missing Power, and Planet Puzzle League > Tetris Attack.
I am not familiar with any of these series, but competitive viability is rooted in the willingness of fans rather than the actual qualities of the games involved. This is because the more people interested in proving their abilities in anything, the more practical it is to form a competitive community for those fans.

EDIT: Chess is a game much more based on the abilities of the players than poker, but a competitive poker community is more viable than a chess-based one because there are more people interested in Poker than chess. Of course this situation is slightly different, as a factor in the poker community is the interest non-players have in watching the games, whereas in smash, only the participants in tournaments have a real effect on the community.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I am sorry, but Chess can't hang with Go. Go is everything Chess is not, including being the better strategy game by FAR.

Oh yeah, I went there.

@Halloween Captain's latest post: You are pretty much on the right track, but a competitive scene is not just dominant in one area. It takes sharing qualities of good competitive tools to help assist the competitive community in making the game competitive.

Melee rewards players for discovering things, either by improving their game, or opening up yet ANOTHER branch for play to succeed.

There HAS to be a shared interest from both the game wanting to be competitive and the players wanting to be competitive.

It is not just a one side thing; it is the one sided things which fall through. Soul Calibur 3 is a great example of that, when it clearly is inferior in more ways than one to Soul Calibur two.

But you are in the right ball park.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
More people need to pick up Go then, because Chess is all the rage at my school. Lame.

Chess is a great game, but I think this sort of represents Brawl vs Melee.

Go is a deeper game because there play is not limited to the rigid rules of Chess, and is more open ended. It is equipped to be the more competitive. Chess is still a terrific game, but it is not properly equipped to be more competitive in comparison with Go. However being stateside, I have a difficult time finding someone who is skilled at Go, let alone someone who knows what it is, while almost anyone at school is at least decent at Chess.

I don't know. It's late and I need caffeine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom