• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Brawl Tournamet ~TBD~

xReDEMx

Smash Apprentice
thats tight, i was gonna go with them, but if i did i prolly wouldnt be able to go to axis, and even tho i didnt go. i still douubt im going to axis.....failure =[

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Wait so the tourney didn't even finish at his house? Thank god I left. I was so looking forward to singles then that bombshell happened. I wish I went to Shuffle N Cut. It was nice seeing SD smashers again though.

And Insomniak and I gotta team up again more often ^_^

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I was at the tourny for three hours, played one doubles tourny match, and then was told our team was eliminated. Not DQed, mind you, because apparently we had already lost a match right before that one.

Hooray!

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
No worries, I don't think I'm good, decent at best? I try =]

That was my 2nd Brawl tourny, and it was my partner's first tourny, so I think we did good considering that =]

SA3Tony

Smash Journeyman
So I heard this tournament sucked balls.....
Grats for holding the worst fuking tournament ever and ruining San Diegos rep forever........

.......***......

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
SD is cool, UCSD is still ****ing awesome :D

The Game II

Smash Champion
I was at the tourny for three hours, played one doubles tourny match, and then was told our team was eliminated. Not DQed, mind you, because apparently we had already lost a match right before that one.

Hooray!
Were you the guy I talked to? Did you get your money back? Hopefully you got some compensation.

--GCII

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
Me at Nexus: "Nah I don't think I'm going to that Dave and busters tournament. Seems shady"
My thoughts exactly...should have went with my gut on this one. I felt really bad for those who traveled a good distance to get here, especially when our top players could have went to OMG to try and win that $1000 top prize. DSF said his reason, as I'm sure was the reason for the rest of the So Cal ranked playeres, was because he wanted the ESPN exposure. Funny, I don't recall ESPN even being there.

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
My thoughts exactly...should have went with my gut on this one. I felt really bad for those who traveled a good distance to get here, especially when our top players could have went to OMG to try and win that $1000 top prize. DSF said his reason, as I'm sure was the reason for the rest of the So Cal ranked playeres, was because he wanted the ESPN exposure. Funny, I don't recall ESPN even being there.
neither do i, but i heard they were doing interviews and i do feel sorry for all of the people who traveled to come here (like praxis)

wtZzz

Smash Apprentice
Well, I am pretty pissed off. I drove nearly 3 hours, spent over 50 dollars on gas to come to what, I expected to be a somewhat unique tournament. Sponsored by ESPN and Redbull!

A great venue, a bar, good weather.

I am absolutely in shock that the TOs were relying on 25 year olds to get ALL of the kids in. I am 24 so, luckily I go to go right in. But the kids were stuck out there for a long time. If the TO had no agreement worked out with Dave and Busters about this, why the hell did they host a tournament at Dave and Busters. Also, minors are not allowed in Dave and Busters at night, period. If the tournament were to finish, you would have a bunch of 15 year olds running around the bar. When you think about it, this tournament was doomed from the start.

2. There was no sign of ESPN, cybersports, red bull, etc, etc. Actually, me and my doubles partner, Dr. Elite, were the only people to see Red Bull's presence at the event, when we were each given a free, warm, red bull before the event. Don't get me wrong, I am all about freebies, but ????

3. Doubles seemed to go fine, and that was fun. The tournament at first seemed, not so bad. Then, bam, word gets out that someone screwed up and the tournament has to finish before 6pm. Unacceptable. How could someone screw up SO bad. There is no excuse for this. People traveled a long way for this, a LOT of people.

4. The buffet. So I am the 2nd person to register for the event, and I get my buffet ticket for 5 bucks. Unfortunately, no one was checking for buffet tickets. When trays of food came out, hoards of people that did not pay took all the food! This left guys like me, with 2 options. Starve, or order a 13 dollar entree. Instead, I just started drinking whiskey

5. Money was missing from the pots. This is illegal and if I were a top 3 finisher in doubles, I would be threatening to take these guys to small claims court. It does not matter if the TOs were taking a loss from the event. That is their fault for being imcompetent. If you were a top 3 finisher, and you are owed money, don't let up on this, the law is behind you.

6. Singles. So they cut it to single elimination due to time. The cut the price in half, from 10 to 5 bucks. A lot of people stay for singles, each paying 5 bucks. The tournament doesn't finish. The tournament organizers keep the cash!? Where did my money go? Where did everyone's money go!? Unless it went to the top 3 singles finishers (which do not exist), everyone deserves a refund.

I would like to conclude by saying that this tournament was a good attempt. I liked the venue, the air conditioning, the alcohol. I liked the hot chicks that strolled in looking for me. But the truth is that this tournament was run by crooks.

I should have known this would be a shady event. ESPN has nothing to do with video games, neither does Red Bull. The advertising was full of lies or exaggerations.

If I come off as arrogant, good! 6 hours of driving, 15 bucks in tournament fees, 55 bucks worth of gas, 30 dollars of booze.

I forgive any innocent people associated with this tournament's organization. Just please do not host a large scale tournament again.

This event has inspired me to begin planning my own large tournament, which will be a complete success. I have several REAL backers in line, its just a matter of finding the perfect venue, and getting the perfect time/date. Another major goal for me is to fly out players from around the country. There are a lot of players out there that deserve an offline presence.

Good things I have to say:

GGs to edrees, best peach I've played, a lot of new things I haven't seen. One day I will be sober and get my revenge!

GGs to Aero and RipN. Me and doc did decent against you guys, but once you had me last stock in a 2v1, I couldn't do a **** thing. Your teamwork is impeccable. Learned a lot from watching you guys.

good meeting some new people etc etc etc ok im done

DreamHack619

Smash Ace
IMPORTANT Please Read!

Ok, First off I want to come out and say a huge SORRY to everyone that came out to this and especially to the people who drove down hours to this event! Imma come out and say that this was a complete waste of time and money!!!! I want to also say that Rickety, Azn Lep, and Havok had absolutely nothing to do with this tournament so please don't go off and think that they were involved in this because they indeed weren't! Next, for those that went to the tournament could tell you that it was indeed one GREAT BIG SH*T STORM after another! A number of things went wrong one right after the other! I feel terrible for what had happened but I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for everything that happened! I blame myself for trusting Dane and for believe that he had everything squared away. You can point the finger and say it was Dane's fault, My fault, or D&B fault, but again, I take full responsibility for what happened! I hope this doesn't leave a sour taste in your mouth and make you think that SD is terrible at hosting tourneys cause we really don't. We had countless problems which ultimately made this tournament a complete failure, and for that I agologize! I hope everyone can Forgive and Forget and I sure as HELL hope you don't hold all of SD accountable for this because its not their fault.... Like I said Blame me not them!!! I hope to see all of you around at any other future tournies here in SD!

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
As much of a crook as Dane appears to be, I can honestly say that he does have Red Bull connections. He's helped promote two other tournaments where we were given a ****load of free Red Bull...still, what he did was inexcusable.

As for the venue, I got a bit of info from my best friend. He's been working there for the past seven months, so he knows what goes on. First, he said that there was no way that the under aged people could have all got in at once, not even after consulting the GM of D&B and stating that everybody would be going to the tournament room. Dane should have already known about this in advance, and had multiple chaperones at the ready.

He also said that if Dane had booked the banquet hall in advance for the ENTIRE day, which he personally told me he did, then there's no way in hell they'd bump us out to make room for a wedding rehearsal. D&B could get easily get sued for that. He told me that it cost him 1000 dollars to rent that room. So, 1000 plus whatever he paid for all that "free buffet ****", plus his %40 of the entire buy in (singles and doubles) =

50 bucks to first place. I heard it out of his mouth when he was talking to one of his "staff" members.

"They'll be getting 10 times what they paid to enter the tournament"

I hope this guy gets gang-***** in an alley.

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
True story:

*Night before tournament on AIM (not exactly word for word)*
Me: "This tournament is probably gonna suck."
LHG: "It probably will."
LHG: "SoCal doesn't know what it's walking into."

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
well guys.....Im not exactly sure but what happened but it sounded like things went wrong :/ sucks cause I wanted to come to this board and see lots of cool shout outs and videos of great matches....
Anyone wanna enlighten me on wtf happened?

Samus-T

Smash Lord
this was was some real bull****. dane took money out of the pot for the venue without telling anyone, didnt even finish his ****ty a$s tourney, and on top of that he said he was going to the chula vista tourney that took place today to finish yesterdays singles and to give the placing teams more money... WHICH HE DIDNT. that guy is a ***** con i swear. we got a total of $200 for doubles 1st place. we shouldve had AT LEAST another $400 coming to us. and he said he was going to show up today... never showed, we never got the rest of our money.

xDARKLINKx

Smash Ace
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

DMAN NOW THIS WAS A ****TYAS$ TOURNAMENT.

Easily the worst one ive been too.

This **** was a scam, straight up.

Did anyone go to that fools house???

Was there even a house there???

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
moral of this tournament.....dont go to tournys organized by dreamhack
the only reason this tourney ran somewhat smooth is because of rickity and lep helpin out.

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
haha that would be funny
and he did steal a **** load of money...
idk, im debatin posting it lol

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Man, I'm am really glad I didn't go to this. The reason I didn't go was that it was too much money and I'm so happy I didn't waste my money on this. Sucks that this had to happen in San Diego, and it's unfortunate for all the people that came to this, out of town or not.

Top Bottom