• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Brawl Tournamet ~TBD~

DaBox

Smash Cadet
yep. Very poorly run. I left when they announced single elim, AFTER another 30 minute wait, AFTER the tournament started what, 1.5 hrs late?

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
well... it was. you see at least gamers universe finished. the tourney host made it single elim... single elim didn't finish. then he proposed to finish it at his house, and the idea flopped, so now he wants to use the chula vista tournament tomorrow to finish it up. oh yeah and a lot of money disappeared.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
oh yeah, and usually i wouldnt double post, but this is deserving of a... not edit. I went there expecting to play brawl with friends... and have a good time. and i didn't. and they made me run the tournament... that i wasn't responsible for, and then people got mad at me and demanded money... it was strange

EDIT - oh yeah

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I did not see that coming. Everything started great and doubles were fun. I'm so glad we left after the announcement.

Did that many people decide to stay for singles after the announcement? When were they kicked out? That sucks. If we keep this up no smashers will want to come over anymore. v_v

MarthPwnzer

Smash Journeyman
Okay this tourny sucked horribly. The host didn't charge a venue fee instead took the venue cost out of the pot. About 20 people where locked out of the venue due to the age limit of "25" that he didn't ask ahead for more information. We only had until 6pm to finish doubles and singles when we started about 2pm. FAIL

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
We got kicked out at 6. Someone mentioned a miscommunication, although I think the problem was more to do with the tourney running massively late.

Sorry if I bugged you Azn, it sure seemed like you were on the staff the way they had you working. And thank you so much for beating me with Yoshi of all people. XD

Awex

Smash Lord
=//////

Pat you should go to the Chula Vista tomorrow anyway. Those tournaments are so much fun. You'll have a much better time. I won't be there though. ;p

Race

Smash Lord
This tourney was a giantic joke, what a waste of gas getting there and back. Then the host wasts us to finish the tourney at his house . .. WTF?!? from D&B to the host's house, lol

discuss

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Wow, I'm really glad I left then.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Best part about the tournament ... watching the hot chic play DDR.

This is the second consecutive time I've driven down to San Diego for a tournament, and I've left disappointed. My brother had plans to stop on by to watch the tournament, but I told him don't come because it was over.

I was going to wait until the morning so I didn't post on a whim, but I feel the need to express my feelings now.

I don't care what anyone says, someone has to know how long they have the venue. It's one of the FIRST questions you ask when you rent the place out, "How long do I have?" The answer of "All day" does not count. It has to be a specific time, because that's how a tournament schedule is figured out to begin with.

A friggin wedding reception, are you kidding me? That type of stuff does not come out of thin air. Someone had to make sure nothing was going to impede with the tournament. And if it did, find out and/or reschedule.

Second of all, I get there, and I'm being told to be a "chaperone," which is fine for six of the 50 people waiting outside. For the other 44 people, tough *******. I mean, at this point, red flags should have been flying through my head.

btw, to the kid with the Wii, I shouldn't have even pointed you out because I didn't know you. I picked 6 people I knew.

This IS NOT Madden, where most of the participants are almost 30. I'm the old man in this community, and when I was told to get six people, I'm thinking "Everyone else except DSF is screwed cuz they're all kids."

The only other thing is that I found out about the moratorium early on during the team tournament. If you're a TO, you can't just say, "Well, we started teams, so pray for singles." I would have stopped teams, gave everyone back the money and said, "Let's do singles." Bet that 95 percent of the people would have been content with that.

OK, so teams happened. Then stop the tournament after that. Don't try to squeeze in a (not certain) 70-person single-elimination comp in 90 minutes because you're only going to piss people off even more.

I could do the spiel about "You guys did your best, and you worked hard." We know that. There's no need to say it. All tournament organizers work hard to put on a good event.

The reason I'm writing this all out is because I've been in this situation before. I've been blindsighted by secondary events, I've run competitions that haven't ended. Ask anyone in Deep NorCal about the problems I've had with some tournaments and they'll back that up. Thing is, a lot of it could have been avoided. A whole lot.

And now, I seriously have to wonder if I'm going back to San Diego for another event that doesn't involve pro players. I know that MGC is coming up later this summer and some pro players are going to that, and a Madden Challenge will likely happen again at the stadium. But other than those two tourneys, I don't know. I'm very disappointed after today. The San Diego community should be disappointed as well.

Alright I better go eat, since the buffet never happened.

jtb you were right about the DDR pad, the right side started acting up. Left side was the best, despite the little kid stomping on it.

--GCII

D

Deleted member

Uhh that was pretty lame. I had fun during doubles tho, and friendlies.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Haha, now I feel better about randomly failing Xepher :p

BudDudandSlash

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why it took me to suggest to move the people calling out the matches to move up to the microphone so everybody could hear. That seemed so obvious.

I had fun anyways, but there's a huge handful of complaints that could have been easily solved. (buffet, timing, organization....)

Well, at least I got to pair up with my buddy Partychu and scream a lot :)

samdaballer

Smash Ace
wow, SD needs to step it up, it seems as if all of the problems couldve been solved by the TO's by using common sense and asking questions about the venue times etc.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Er, wow...

After hearing all this (Constant delays, single elim, forced to leave, etc.), I'm almost glad that I didn't get the chance to go...

First, to Glenn, don't abandon SD man! We've just had some really bad luck lately. Chula Vista Weeklies and the SD Triweeklies are run very smoothly.

To Dreamhack, you gotta stop slipping up man! Venue's have to be airtight, I reckon. But I know you tried your best, and hope you're ready because I'm coming back in about a week ;)

And to everyone who came down to SD for the tourney, same thing that I wrote for Glenn. SD is awesome, we're just going through a rough patch...

Awex

Smash Lord
I don't want to see San Diego tournaments generalized because of this. San Diego tourneys are really REALLY good ordinarily. I'm sorry Dane, Dreamhack, but this was a disappointment. Glenn said pretty much everything.

Everyone should come back for a different big tournament sometime.

Like Winter Gamefest at the start of next year. ;D

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
SD hosts need to start referring to Neal's ABC guide to tournament hosting. Do your homework before taking on something big like tournament hosting. Lep and Rickety are too good, just have them run SD tournaments.

The Game II

Smash Champion
I don't want to see San Diego tournaments generalized because of this. San Diego tourneys are really REALLY good ordinarily. I'm sorry Dane, Dreamhack, but this was a disappointment. Glenn said pretty much everything.

Everyone should come back for a different big tournament sometime.

Like Winter Gamefest at the start of next year. ;D
You guys are going to get an MGC event this summer, so the wait will be juuuust a little bit shorter.

--GCII

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
UCSD Triweeklies are amazing and I always have tons of fun at them, there's no way I'm going to compare those to this.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
SD hosts need to start referring to Neal's ABC guide to tournament hosting. Do your homework before taking on something big like tournament hosting. Lep and Rickety are too good, just have them run SD tournaments.
spoken from one of the great TO's I'm amazed how well and nicely you ran the recent UCLA tournies with the last melee one and the brawl one.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
spoken from one of the great TO's I'm amazed how well and nicely you ran the recent UCLA tournies with the last melee one and the brawl one.
alan (aesis) and with the help of neal hold the UCLA series. nezumi ran the chapman series.

Top Bottom