• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule #2: Never listen to Fino +1

Denti

Smash Master
i like to get a side b or two and then grab when marth misses up b
That's smart. I'll steal your idea and call it my own! WQAHAHAHAHA

on a side note, i'm playing pikmin 2. not as good at pikmin 1 imo. pikmin 1 feels mysterious and intense, pikmin 2 seems straight forward and not mysterious at all, but still good.

double side note. New advanced technique I'm working on meant for mostly diddy kong when he is on the ledge with a banana. When you are facing the ledge and grab and hold your grab button your pikmin will dysnche and stagger for a lil bit off the ledge and then sh jump and recover to olimar. When you repeatedly do this it allows a constant pikmin shield from bananas and you can space grabs at the same time.
Diddy kongs will become really predictable at this point, find a way to sneak a spike on them or keep hitting them off.

I'm experimenting with many other aspects of our dysnching abilities. I'm trying to use multiple dysnched pikmin to HARD lag their attacks so i can do free punishes. I'll post any more of my finds later.
(does anyone know the frame data for dysnched smashes? I'm looking to master this forgotten and forbidden magic.)

(3rd side note. I think our dair is the **** right now.. that is all)

[4th side note... speaking of marth, I see him using his up B out of multi hit attacks like our up air. His attack comes out on frame 3 right? if so then shouldn't we be able to super armor out of everything he can up B out of?]

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
double side note. New advanced technique I'm working on meant for mostly diddy kong when he is on the ledge with a banana. When you are facing the ledge and grab and hold your grab button your pikmin will dysnche and stagger for a lil bit off the ledge and then sh jump and recover to olimar. When you repeatedly do this it allows a constant pikmin shield from bananas and you can space grabs at the same time.
Diddy kongs will become really predictable at this point, find a way to sneak a spike on them or keep hitting them off.)
Definitely gonna go try this out right now. In other news, I met Fino on the AiB ladder today. He's a pretty cool guy, plus he showed me how brutal Oli dittos can be XD

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You are so freaking wrong about Pikmin 2, I can't even stand to look at you right now, Denti.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
No, actually. Denti is quite close to "Dentin", which is an important material found in teeth.
Teeth, being a part of your body, are absolutely free.
Therefore, we can assume that Denti supports freedom!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
No, actually. Denti is quite close to "Dentin", which is an important material found in teeth.
Teeth, being a part of your body, are absolutely free.
Therefore, we can assume that Denti supports freedom!
Lol I love this logic <3 And Denti's desync trick works, though purples can mess things up with their smaller grab range if Oli isn't close enough to the ledge. Regardless, I'm definitely going to try this next time I face a Diddy. And to answer something you, Coud, posted in another thread a minute ago, the answer is yes, apparently dash attacks beats out Donkey Kong's upB, along with ftilt and dtilt, granted I didn't make any mistakes while testing them out. I only tried against a grounded upB, not sure if it has different qualities while in the air, and I definitely don't have enough hands to test that :)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
And to answer something you, Coud, posted in another thread a minute ago, the answer is yes, apparently dash attacks beats out Donkey Kong's upB
Wow, you have the longest minutes I've ever seen. I posted that over nine hours ago. XD
Thank you for answering that. ^_^
Did you get my PM about the thing you were talking about?

Denti

Smash Master
It can work on many other characters too, just I am mostly aiming to use it on diddy kong. it should work on marth too. he'll have ZERO options when recovering from the ledge. I'd suggest tossing the purple btw too get rid of it and knock them off if they try to get on then

edit: someone explain buffering to me. If it's what i think it is I have a very nifty trick I'd like to do with multi dysnched pikmin

Zori

Smash Champion
buffering is imputting something before it atually happens, you do it all the time an example would be olimars dthrow to upsmash

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Wow, you have the longest minutes I've ever seen. I posted that over nine hours ago. XD
Thank you for answering that. ^_^
Did you get my PM about the thing you were talking about?
Lol I didn't even realize, it was close to being the last post so I just assumed it was recent :)
And I'm very interested to see what else you cook up Denti, that pikmin carousel seems like a pretty useful tool and tricks like that could help confuse Oli's opponents even more :p

So question for all of your tourney-goers. I'm going to my first tourney on the 26th in Cleveland and I'd like to know what all I should do to prepare. I'm practicing on wifi quite a bit (unfortunately I don't know anyone here who brawls :() but I figure there might be other things I can do to get ready, or just specific things.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Good **** Vocal XD I know the group that's going to this tournament (most of them at least) and you should have a good time. Just try to focus on not getting too nervous. It's something that's gonna be a problem for awhile, for most people, and you can pretty much only get over it by going to more tournaments and getting more comfortable with the smashers, haha. Try to talk with the people that are there as much as you can lol. They're all cool people.

Stick to your basics when you're playing. usmash, pivot grabs, pikmin toss, fsmash, and fair every now and again. Stick to what you know and you'll be good for now. I haven't played against these guys too much in tournament, only two or three of them have a lot of Olimar experience :) Good luck!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Ooh! I actually know something important about this!

1. Good nutrition is actually very important.
2. Make sure that you're going into it well-fed and well-rested.
3. Don't be deceived by the smashers around you. If they try to keep you up until 5 AM with friendlies, it's probably a clever ploy to help their girlfriends beat you up in pools.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
eh lack of sleep is pretty standard at every tourney >.> i always make it my priority to get 7-8 hours of sleep every night. the only tourney i ever actually succeeded at doing that for was genesis LOL

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Good **** Vocal XD I know the group that's going to this tournament (most of them at least) and you should have a good time. Just try to focus on not getting too nervous. It's something that's gonna be a problem for awhile, for most people, and you can pretty much only get over it by going to more tournaments and getting more comfortable with the smashers, haha. Try to talk with the people that are there as much as you can lol. They're all cool people.

Stick to your basics when you're playing. usmash, pivot grabs, pikmin toss, fsmash, and fair every now and again. Stick to what you know and you'll be good for now. I haven't played against these guys too much in tournament, only two or three of them have a lot of Olimar experience :) Good luck!
Yes! Lol, at least they won't be Oli experts. The getting sleep part's gonna be hard for me, I usually don't go to bed before 3 AM :chuckle: Same with nutrition, I barely eat anything. It's also a coincidence that someone made a thread asking for tourney advice in the General Chat board, which led me to this little nugget from RichBrown/HugS:

Ah, the price of victory...

EDIT: Wow, post 100, a tiny milestone, but it made me smile :)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
But you perform better when you are well-rested, no?

Lack of sleep activates your body's defense mechanisms, which can be useful in a short-term situation but it won't be long before your body needs to recover. If you are well-rested, it's easier to maintain your composure, stay alert, and handle situations in a calm fashion over long periods of time (like in a tournament).
This should be well-known by anybody that has ever almost fallen asleep at the wheel.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
trust me i understand the benefits of sleep, hence why i always shoot for max sleep. it is still an inevitable fact that at most tourneys people get 5 hours, and often less of sleep. granted a lot of people get that much normally anyways, but w/e lol

Jane

Smash Hero
a good nights sleep, a proper breakfast, water, and a mid-tourney snack are always my top priorities for tourneys.

its amazing how much better you play when you fulfill all of those things

also, drugs x)

Frio

Smash Champion
Are you guys going to the next MLG event? Some guys and I are thinking of car pooling down to NC for the next one.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Alberta is going all the way to NC, wow, come to EC canada instead imo

I always lose sleep for tourneys lol, pretty well fed with food half way through. LOL at the ejaculation theory, I just say, preactice smash and u'll be good to go. I think factors like sleep and whatnot do have an effect (like being tired or hungry or wanting to go to the bathroom during a match), but I mean in the end, its all about practice, and feeling ur ready for anyone u have to play.

Jane

Smash Hero
most of your overall skill can be attributed to practice, but food and sleep are very important if you want to play at 100%. because without proper rest and fuel your brain will not focus, react, and solve problems as well as if you did eat and sleep well.

osumario3581

Smash Cadet
Hello all!

There are level boards for Olimar, but I don't want to dilute the technical forums with my basic question (and I am fairly new to all of these boards, so I don't want to step on any toes):

I've been goofing around with Olimar at times and incorporating him into the characters I will play with. I'm not great, but not terrible, and am at least serviceable against who I play. I generally play with a couple people in 3 player, 7 stock matches. Sometimes we will mess around with longer time matches. I know most of the people here play something closer to the more standard tourney format, but I was wondering if I could get some advice on levels to avoid in the formats I described. One of the other player's mains with Link and Toon Link. The other player plays a lot of Ike, some Diddy, some Falco and some ROB. When shouldn't I play Olimar (stage wise)?

Much thanks!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Any stage is "playable", don't listen to what people tell you. However, in some matchups, you may not want to use Olimar on certain stages. Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Norfair, are stages that you may worry about playing specific characters on. As well as the occasional Final Destination, against Diddy, Ice Climbers, etc. Olimar is an extremely stage dependent character and plays more off of our opponents' strength's and weaknesses, rather than Olimar's strength's and weaknesses. So you're basically, usually, going to want to avoid stages that are really good for the opponent.

Zori

Smash Champion
hilt i know where your old avy is from ;o the one with the kid eating bread

DONT RUIN IT FOR ME

Top Bottom