• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rocky Shoutouts, Results, Photos & Videos - Nostalgia Thread!

C~Dog

Smash Champion
1/ Low Tier bonus would be awesome.
2/ Live interviews hell yeah! Maybe just get a good video camera and a mic and enslave someone to interview duty xD
3/ More equipment for recording matches, ie: projector, mic
4/ Maybe invest in a few tvs from Cash Converters that can be used for all CW events. Consoles arent as much of an issue seeing as how they are relatively easy for people to bring.
5/ Trophies for top 3, something to sponsor someone to go to america sound fantastic

6/ PRIZE FOR BEST COSPLAY <------ ZOMG DO EEEET

7/ Some sort of PA system.
8/ A set-up that would allow the bracket and results to be viewed by everyone without annoying the TO to put the bracket up. Maybe another tv screen that is in a position to be viewed by everyone, or a big whiteboard with the current entrants and brackets drawn up on it.
9/ More advertising, lots of flyers, maybe getting booths set up at lots of gaming expos etc.

10/ A crown for first place with 'King of Smash' engraved on it that is passed onto the next person to win the national. ***This is probably the most important thing on the list.***

D0N

Smash Ace
Good point luke. More people/publicity will probly mean more funding too.

And a setup/projecter/something for brackets like Condog said would definately help. It would stop people from crowding around a laptop.

Toby... ofcourse we'll play :)

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
1/ Low Tier bonus would be awesome.
2/ Live interviews hell yeah! Maybe just get a good video camera and a mic and enslave someone to interview duty xD
3/ More equipment for recording matches, ie: projector, mic
4/ Maybe invest in a few tvs from Cash Converters that can be used for all CW events. Consoles arent as much of an issue seeing as how they are relatively easy for people to bring.
5/ Trophies for top 3, something to sponsor someone to go to america sound fantastic

6/ PRIZE FOR BEST COSPLAY <------ ZOMG DO EEEET

7/ Some sort of PA system.
8/ A set-up that would allow the bracket and results to be viewed by everyone without annoying the TO to put the bracket up. Maybe another tv screen that is in a position to be viewed by everyone, or a big whiteboard with the current entrants and brackets drawn up on it.
9/ More advertising, lots of flyers, maybe getting booths set up at lots of gaming expos etc.

10/ A crown for first place with 'King of Smash' engraved on it that is passed onto the next person to win the national. ***This is probably the most important thing on the list.***
Quoting Condog because most of the suggestions are covered in this post, plus it's all nicely numbered.

2/ This is less a money thing and more a volunteer thing. If I can find somebody next year who I can teach to operate my camera and do interviews, as well as duck in and out of different communities comfortably then I will. I'm making a sorta promo thingy at the moment, but no interviews so it'll just be a short music video at this rate.

3/ The PA system used for BAM was borrowed from work and is not something I can get away with normally. In terms of general (non smash specific) spending, a PA is high up there. That should afford us at least two next BAM. The aim is for every major player to have a projector, recording solution and some sort of PA available eventually.

4/ TVs, particularly of the bulky CRT variety are tricky, because we don't have a place to store them. We ended up renting a couple for Smash in the end because it was a easy and convenient solution, despite that fact that buying the TVs second hand would've cost something similar. If we have a Smasher who can stash them and bring them to every event (or arrange pickup if they can't make it), this would be a good option. The cost of them off Ebay is insignificant.

5/ Obviously we can get a bit more creative with trophies next year. I'm really not sure about sending somebody over to the states (it WOULD rock as first prize), but an American smasher might be interesting. What would the community prefer? Send a player on a holiday where they get their butt kicked or get a famous person here for big international recognition? Either way, just flying someone over from the States is expensive, and there are still plenty of stuff on the budget that would make a better long term investment.

6/ I wanna stress that down the road, cosplay incentives are a really good idea. Cosplay puts the event on the map to a whole different group of people and just raises general awareness. There is a reason why Egames lets cosplayers in for free.

9/ Again, this isn't money, it's man power. We need people who can step up advertising and take it under their wing. Same could be said for an afterparty event and many other things for instance.

Like D0N said though, there is no reason to think of this as a yearly budget thing that must be spent. Our most important concern is always venue, and while the Vic hotel worked, better size and location is something to look out for next year, and the surplus gives us a lot more flexibility there.

Vermy

Smash Champion
We need people who can step up advertising and take it under their wing. Same could be said for an afterparty event and many other things for instance.
I used to do promo posters and web banners for clubs/bands, and I'd be more than happy to lend my assistance. Give me a detailed criteria and a date and I can do that. Also, myspace/facebook/twitter etc are free ad spaces, and should not be overlooked.

I also think a youtube video "ad" could work well. Sort of a teaser trailer with highlights from all the games, with some epic music playing. (I suggest some kind of heavy rock with orchestral strings XD)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Even though the Victoria Hotel is going to be outgrown and presented logistical challenges, it served us perfectly in every other department, I'll be sad to see us move away from it. It even sets the atmosphere for us.

Alzi

Smash Master
Venue doesn't matter really.

Aslong as you all had a good day in the end is what counts. Which i'm sure everyone did.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I didn't. I was sick and I was deprived of sleep.

KIDDING!!! <3
Despite being sick and sleepy and meh in general from outside sources I still had a flappin' good time. =]

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I dunno, I mean the first day was great up untill I won doubles, at which point is was around what, 5pm and I was so tired and ready for sleep, yet I had to keep on going through fatigue and a massive headache untill like 3 in the morning.

also pretty sure scoot was raging at something the whole time.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
oi, I dont wanna hear that **** sam, your commentary is pretty much the best in aus, it is as you would say "the buisness"

S.D

Smash Master
oi, I dont wanna hear that **** sam, your commentary is pretty much the best in aus, it is as you would say "the buisness"
wubs, none of us were on our game that set, for me there was one very big contributing factor and I was doing my best not to rage. I had to leave for like 2 games XD

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
I used to do promo posters and web banners for clubs/bands, and I'd be more than happy to lend my assistance. Give me a detailed criteria and a date and I can do that. Also, myspace/facebook/twitter etc are free ad spaces, and should not be overlooked.
Cheers for the offer. I'll keep it in mind when we get things organised for next year. Webspace is really something that needs to be fixed up for next year to work with banners to, so that we have more to offer for sponsors.

The reason we didn't do facebook like we have with previous CW events is because I was afraid of the numbers we'd get. Our venue wasn't really supposed to have over 200 people, although I doubt very much we ever had that number all at one time.

Vermy said:
I also think a youtube video "ad" could work well. Sort of a teaser trailer with highlights from all the games, with some epic music playing. (I suggest some kind of heavy rock with orchestral strings XD)
I've done a Couch Warriors promo vid, which was originally for a uni assignment. I ended up taking it down from youtube because I'm a tad paranoid about getting banned from youtube for song copyright. If I could find a good source of free music I'd feel more comfortable putting them back up online.

Also, I think rock orchestra overdoes it a little bit. I really like the music in the I Got Next Trailer, though thats obviously more interview based:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb76Sn1YvTc

Another cool use of videos, is immediately before top 8 in each game to get hype. At OHN this year for SF4 they premiered this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgeyP4svcig which was pretty awesome. Everyone in the venue was there to watch the top 8 after that.

These were used at Evo this year. Classical music for HDR is so good. Don't need to go epic rock all the time. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jchensor#g/c/BD633EAA58FC4800

Also... what is it about Smash combo vids and GG/BB music? lol

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
I, too, shall take this opportunity to brag that I was at Evo this year. :3

Edit:
Another cool use of videos, is immediately before top 8 in each game to get hype. At OHN this year for SF4 they premiered this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgeyP4svcig which was pretty awesome. Everyone in the venue was there to watch the top 8 after that.
Haha is it just me or was the commentator like "Serial ****!" at 0:47? xD

Also nice video, impressive stuff.

Also loving the SFIV/3S hype intros.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer

I'm also more than happy to help out should you need it, in regards to posters/banners and other marketing collateral. :]

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I didn't like the venue much.

Much too crowded, and it was stuffy.
These are the defining characteristics of a major Smash tournament, not so much a problem of the venue itself. But searching for a better one will help alleviate these problems to an extent.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
If i wanted to obtain the uncensored version of that video, whos balls would i have to lick?

S.D

Smash Master
ROCKY VIDEO ARCHIVE

For the benefit of your viewing pleasure, I have compiled an archive of recorded matches from BAM's Rocky Brawl/Melee tournament - Australia's largest ever smash event. Shoutouts to Shaya for recording and putting in the time and effort to upload, a big thanks to all the players that make these worth watching.

Melee Singles

Grand Finals Set 2

CAOTIC (Peach) vs Kas (Marth) 5

CAOTIC (Peach) vs Kas (Marth) 3/4
CAOTIC (Peach) vs Kas (Marth) 1/2

Grand Finals Set 1

Match 3 was lost (CAOTIC won)​

Winners Final

CAOTIC (Peach) vs Kas (Marth) 3

Losers Final

ACCELERATE (Marth) vs CAOTIC (Peach) 3/4

ACCELERATE (Marth) vs CAOTIC (Peach) 1/2

Winners Semi Finals​

Winners Quarter Finals​

Losers Quarter Final​

Winners Final​

Losers Semi Final​

Grand Finals​

Winners Semi Finals​

Winners Bracket​

Brawl Doubles​

Thanks for watching :)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
thanks sd good work

anyways I was a little upset that the finals was censored but I can understand, for all of you who are curious as to why, its because I was being a huge **** and ripped on 1 certain person pretty badly, and no it wasn't corpse.

Top Bottom