• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rocky 2009 - Hyper coverage on sale March 31

Who will win Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sieg

Smash Champion
Note that I left myself because it's already establised I suck at this game, and I just don't care anymore lol.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
syke you wouldn't even be top 5 in melbourne
and we only had like 10 at the last monthly

does qld have melee monthlies?? aw

Dekar289

Smash Hero
we're
the apostrophe is like the missing 'a' for 'we are'
free lesson for you syke/******

and hahahahahaha qld

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Queensland is better in Melee. They could beat me if they wanted to. Victoria can't.

/End discussion.

Keep up the one-liner spam and y'all get the banstick

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
So then Cao comes in here and he's like "****ING BANNED".

Anyway, was there going to be some sort of crews this event? I see teams on the front page but I'm guessing that refers to doubles. If crews is on is it just going to be interstate this time? It was quite a fun event last time in groups of 4.

tibs7

Smash Champion
<3 dekar for sticking up for us melbournians

and there better be crews for interstate so we can own some qld noobs :p

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Anyway, was there going to be some sort of crews this event? I see teams on the front page but I'm guessing that refers to doubles. If crews is on is it just going to be interstate this time? It was quite a fun event last time in groups of 4.
Yeah I'll have crews worked into the schedule for sure, but the type of crew battle we'll have depends on the interstate turnout (there will be preregistration for this). If a couple of states can field a large team, we would just spare off with a series of interstate crew battles, which would be larger than the 4-mans we did in Sydney. If the interstate representation isn't big enough for that, I'm happy to stick in DE 4v4 Crews.

In other news, 99% sure I'm not coming to this.. oh wellz.
Stop coming to Melbourne @ stupid times and go when it really matters <3

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Weeeee, this tourney is still a long time away, but yes ill come to this :3 i doubt ill win the prizes but im more set on just having a fun time =D although I wont go easy on anyone >=3 hopefully ill be alot better at brawl by then too.

also I'm thinking of doing a cos-play =O either of lucas or claus XD lmao but i dont wanna look like an idiot XD

RICKY >=( you must do a cos-play with me, mowhahahahaa

swordsaint

Smash Master
Weeeee, this tourney is still a long time away, but yes ill come to this :3 i doubt ill win the prizes but im more set on just having a fun time =D although I wont go easy on anyone >=3 hopefully ill be alot better at brawl by then too.

also I'm thinking of doing a cos-play =O either of lucas or claus XD lmao but i dont wanna look like an idiot XD

-_-

I'm coming to this. Be very scared when I place first. I'll get you all with my tier-whoring-counter-picking skillz.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
-_-

I'm coming to this. Be very scared when I place first. I'll get you all with my tier-whoring-counter-picking skillz.
sorry to disappoint, but Elysium will roll up with their overpowered American powers and pwn **** up.

poor poor Melbourne

swordsaint

Smash Master
I'll bring Frieza. Now what?

Yeah he destroyed all of your population, cept for like his slaves.

How is the pot supposed to get so high anyway?

ACCELERATE

Smash Lord
Urgh isn't there somewhere else you can talk about this?

Tak You don't think dekar will have 20? Thats a shame. I'll have to take anything he has.

Btw Cao if you need help on the day let me know i'll put my hand up for helping. In return just tell me when to book my flights.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
First post update! I'll just poste it here.

ROCKY.

In conjunction with BAM - BATTLE ARENA MELBOURNE

Rocky Balboa doesn't need friends. From Guns to Gloves. From Rambo to Rocky. It's Showtime.

Liked Don't Come? Come to this. Same ****, better city.

| Super Smash Bros. Melee | Super Smash Bros. Brawl | Street Fighter 4 | Street Fighter 3rd Strike | Blaz Blue | Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core | Fate: Unlimited Codes | Melty Blood |

Pre-Registration and Costs

Pre-registration for the event will be up closer to the event. Watch this space for updates. For an outline of the cost:
  • Couchwarriors will charge an entry fee of $5 or $10 per person (likely $5). This gets you into the Convent to play and spectate a wide variety of games. This is a major event encompassing the combined efforts of a variety of competitive fighting scenes and will likely attract around 150-200 entrants.
  • The Rocky side of things (Melee/Brawl tournaments) will have additional buy-in costs, with 100% of funds going back in the prize pool.
  • The flat rate cost for entering any Smash tournament is $30. This is subject to change. Factors are dependent on the confirmation of the general entry fee.
  • Paying $30 automatically gives you access to all Smash events over the 2 days: Singles, Teams, Crews, Dodgeball (you heard me).
  • Pre-registering is likely to save you money. So again, watch this space.

Estimated pot distribution (assumes a baseline of 50 people enter the event and equal representation for both games):
Note - The pot split between Melee and Brawl is proportionate to the relative number of entrants between each game.

Singles Brawl
1st - $225.00
2nd - $112.50
3rd - $37.50

Singles Melee
1st - $225.00
2nd - $112.50
3rd - $37.50

Teams Brawl
1st - $225.00
2nd - $112.50
3rd - $37.50

Teams Melee
1st - $225.00
2nd - $112.50
3rd - $$37.50

Total Prize Pool: $1500

Obviously if more than 50 people enter, the returns will increase for the top 3. And vice versa if the entrants are lower than 50.

Schedule

This is subject to rigorous revision.

Saturday:
9.00AM - 10.00AM: Convent Dodgeball
10.00AM - 3.00PM: Brawl Teams
3.00PM - 8.00PM: Melee Singles
8.00PM - 9.00PM: Melee Exhibition Crews

Sunday:
9.00AM - 10:00AM - Brawl Exhibition Crews
10:00AM - 2.00PM - Melee Teams
2.00PM - 8.00PM - Brawl Singles
9.00PM - BAM Party @ the Rochester Castle Hotel

The Abbotsford Convent. 1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford VIC
Venue: The Rosina Auditorium

Directions - Walking and Public Transport (From Flinders Street)
  • From Flinders Street Station, take a train on Platform 1 to Victoria Park Station.
  • From Victoria Park Station, walk eastward along Johnston Street (away from the CBD) to Clarke Street.
  • From Clarke Street, follow the street signs leading to the Abbotsford Convent.
Travel-smart tips

• Free parking can be found in the nearby residential streets (Clarke Street, Yarra Street, etc). However, the closest parking to the Convent grounds is on the parking lot in St Heliers Street, which attracts a $4 daily flat rate.
  • Smashers traveling in groups from the CBD can save time and money by using a Taxi from Flinders Street Station to the Convent and splitting the fare (approximately $20).
  • Drivers are encouraged to arrive early to find the most convenient parking spaces available. There is also a loading zone for unloading equipment closer to the Rosina Auditorium itself.
  • Public transport users can purchase the Sunday Saver or the Weekend Saver for cheap unlimited trips on Melbourne's Public Transport system.
  • Public Transport Users are advised to allow for extra time to make their journey. You can plan for your travels here:
  • www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au
  • Lost? Call CAOTIC: 0466-352-145

Super Smash Bros. Melee Rules:

The following list is an adaptation of the widely accepted MLG Melee Ruleset.

General Rules
  • 4 Stock.
  • No items.
  • 7 Minute Time Limit.
  • All sets are best of 3 matches (Excludes losers and championship finals, which is a best of 5).
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • No player may choose the stage they last won on.
  • Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played.
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match (Tournament organisers will have ful discretion disqualifying illigitimate play styles).
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned.
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned.
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD).
Set Format (In Order of Procedure):
  1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
  2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
  3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
  4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
    *Double blind character selection may be called for this match
    **Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List:

• Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

• Dream Land: Green Greens
  • DK Island: Jungle Japes
  • F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
  • Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
  • Lylat System: Corneria
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
  • Mushroom Kingdom II
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Additional Rules for Double's Play

• Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List
  • Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List
  • Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Rules:

The following is an adaptation of the ruleset developed by AiB's Evo 2009 Tournament in Las Vegas.

General Rules

• 3 Stock.
  • 8 Minute Time Limit (If time does expire, the winner will be determined by first stock, then percentage. In the event both are tied Sudden Death will be played out).
  • Best of 3 throughout the whole tournament (includes finals).
  • No items.
  • No stalling (via ledge or otherwise). Any infinite chain grabs must be ended after 300% to prevent excessive stalling.
  • Avoiding an unreachable position of combat to purposely run down the timer is stalling. Tournament organisers will have full discretion to disqualify offenders at will.
  • Standing infinites are only banned when used to stall.
  • No player/team may counterpick a stage they have already won on earlier in the current set (Dave's Stupid Rule).
  • In the event of a dispute of controller ports, colours and stage strike selection order, Rock-Paper-Scissors will come into effect.
  • Your controller, settings, and name tag are your responsibility prior to the start of the match. Always check you are using the correct settings and everything is working BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions or incorrect settings, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent an in progress game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, touching the equipment, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and will be held responsible for triggering one of these effects or any conduct preventing the match from finishing.
  • Metaknight’s Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • If a player successfully ends the match with either Bowser or Ganondorf’s over B attack by suicide, then the player who initiated the move wins. If a player ends the match by swallowing with King Dedede or Kirby, and it counts as a tie the player whom initiated the swallowing wins. Unless the character breaks out prior to death and is shown winning the match. In which case, that stands as the correct result.

Set Format (In Order of Procedure):

1. Players choose their characters for the first match*
  2. Players start the stage striking procedure**
  3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
  4. Each Player/Team may announce one stage to be banned during counterpicks
  5. The losing Player/Team of the previous match announces the next match’s stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
  6. The winning Player/Team of the previous match chooses their character/s
  7. The losing Player/Team of the previous match chooses their character/s
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 until the best of 3 or best of 5 set is complete.
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match. In which case the players will each write down their characters on a sheet of paper and exchange them.
**One Player/Team will strike 1 stage, then their opponent will strike another 2 stages, leaving 2 stages in which the first team will strike 1 leaving one to be played on.

Starter Stages:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpick Stages:
  • Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Castle Siege
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Brinstar
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Jungle Japes

Additional rules for Double's Play

• Stock sharing is allowed.
  • Team Attack is on.
  • In team matches, the ports will be selected in a 1221 fashion. Meaning a player from Team 1 (if need be Rock/Paper/Scissors can be used to determine this Team) will select one port first, then both players from Team 2 will make their selection, then the remaining player from Team 1.
  • If a player on a team is using a character that might make it tough to determine the teams color (like Sonic, Lucario, or Pokemon Trainer), then either team is allowed to request an alternate color be used prior to the start of the match in order to limit any potential confusion.

Accomodation and Housing

Nearest Hostel to the Convent the Rochester and the kickass Collingwood/Fitzroy neighbourhood:

Collingwood Backpackers, 137-139 Johnston, St, Collingwood, Victoria, 3066
http://www.collingwoodbackpackers.com/index.htm

Free housing for this event is not guaranteed. It is recommended you use this thread or otherwise to organise housing arrangements. Hostel accomodation is recommended as this is a 2 day major event and will heavily reduce your travel times.

Kickass Stuff Interstates want to do to make the trip more memorable!

• Melbourne Fringe Festival! Awesome artsy street festival sweet
  • Convent Dodgeball! Hit Sam sweet
  • BAM Afterparty! Drunken sweet
  • BAM Events! This might include Trivia Nights based off videogames, HRC/BTT side-competitions and whatnot sweet
  • Melty Blood Tournament. Merely watching this is worth more than Sam's Arcade Stick... sweet!
  • Crown/DDR-fest... cus we always, max 300 sweet
  • Dinners, yummy!

The Staff

CAOTIC (Directive) - This guy is legit. He's been running tourneys for 5 years and generally makes things awesome. Has run stuff in Sydney/Melbourne/San Diego/Los Angeles. Too many people like this guy. He needs more haters.

Jei (Associate Directive) - Runs Melbourne's Brawl Scene. Has been in the game for 3 years. Provides a lot of energy into growing Melbourne's Brawl scene. Plays Yoshi. And he looks gangsta and comes from the westside so all the kiddies pee their pants.

Shaya (Video Guy and Smash 64 Advocate) - Runs Sydney's Smash Scene (or used to until he whined too much). Likes to record lots and lots of videos and putting videos of himself beating other people cus that's what video people do. Usually runs Smash 64 when I look away.

*will add more people*

Toby.

Smash Master

Ricky please do this.

Please. PLEASE.

I hope crews happens. It looks like there'll be pretty good NSW representation at the very least.

Sam can take an entire crews worth of stocks just like in the last tournament. I'll provide damp towels, cool drinks and encouraging words. That's a pretty beast combo imo.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh baby that brawl counterpick list looks sexy. OVER 9000 Shaya sexy.

Even though you need a 5th starter, or move one of the 4 to counter.

The sweet sweet sound of the words "Beep beep" as I hard counter the entire cast on the stage with my perdy character.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
crews eh? you and me sam, we'll take em.
oh and that shaya guy can go on at the end and lose 3 stock trying to finish the crews with a fully charged shield breaker.

I'll be there, hopefully with some ACT peeps, we'll probs organize a hostel or something, since your an honorary ACT member toby you should room with us, get some last minute practice instead of sleeping so we do really bad at the tourney, sounds about right.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Crews is guranteeed, but the form of crews depends on the interstate turnout. At the moment I'm looking at having one large exhibition style state crew battle, be it Victoria vs All-Stars or Victoria vs. NSW.

If there's enough other state interest by that time, we could do a series of one-off grudge style 4-5 man interstate crew battles. All of it of course, will be staged. If SA/WA/NSW/QLD produce minimums of 4 people, that can def happen.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Whoa dodgeball. Nice. :colorful:

I can only really go to this if it's on the 3rd and 4th, so I'm really hoping it happens on that weekend. It's probably too early for a definitive date, but the sooner it's decided, the sooner I can get ready for it. :)

S.D

Smash Master
Random Stage List:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Dream Land: Green Greens
* DK Island: Jungle Japes
* F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
* Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
* Lylat System: Corneria
* Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
* Mushroom Kingdom II
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Ricky please do this.

Please. PLEASE.
Haha, I'll look so silly, but I shall do it anyway. FOR THE LULZ. And because Claus is too ****.

imo, NSW has crews won in advance. I'm pretty sure we have about 90% of our best Brawl players going. And it'd only take 20% to win anyway. =/

And me and toby are like doubles gods as well. So thats a fair amount of prizes already taken. Haha

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Booking dates for October 3-4 have fallen though. We have two other options at the moment, both listed in the title of this thread. Which weekend do people prefer?

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I may have to be somewhere on the September 27. Could be a way for me to get around it, but I'd prefer Oct 10-11 just to be safe. =/

Top Bottom