ROCKY - In conjunction with BAM - Battle Arena Melbourne
(Projected Smash attendance: 80+)
Couch Warriors is proud to announce Battle Arena Melbourne!
The event will run October 10th and 11th at The Victoria Hotel in Melbourne and promises to be host to the biggest and most wide spread fighting game tournament ever organised in Melbourne.
We aim to run this event as a new annual tournament on the yearly tournament calendar and hope everyone can support this event and help it grow to be the best it can be for the community.
For now check out the details and pre-register for the event to secure your spot.
Pre-Registration and Costs
All players are required to pay an entry fee to enter BAM. This fee is used to cover the cost of the venue, equipment hire, and anything else we need to pay for to make the event as good at it can be for your benefit.
Couch Warriors is a non-for-profit organisation, so every cent goes back into making the event even more enjoyable.
The entry fee for BAM is $25 at the door for the whole weekend, however if you preregister and prepay before the 30th of September, this is reduced to a measly $20 for the whole weekend. We unfortunately do not sell one day passes.
Your entrance fee covers you for being at the event for the weekend and playing casual matches, however each official tournament costs a set fee to enter as this helps to build the prize pool. These tournament fees will not require prepayment, we will instead require them at the door when you pick up your BAM pass. Please visit the Tournament Registration thread on the forum to sign up for the official competitions.
Rocky (The Smash tournaments) will have additional buy-in costs, with 100% of funds going back in the prize pool. This guarantees a combined prize pool of at least $1700 (assuming 80 entrants + the bonus). The flat rate cost to enter any Smash Tournament will be $20. Once this has been paid, you may enter any of the following Smash Tournaments:
- SSBB Singles
- SSBB Teams
- SSBB Interstate Crew Battle
- SSBM Singles
- SSBM Teams
- SSBM Interstate Crew Battle
So, it’s a $40 max-cap for a weekend of Marvellous Melbourne Smash. $45 at the door!
Pre-register now and receive a $5 discount for the weekend, and a pre-printed pass, skipping some of the hassle of signing up on the day.
Pre-registering also helps us get an idea of how many participants will be in each tournament and will allow us to make scheduling changes if required, so please do pre-register if possible as everbody wins.
We accept Paypal and Bank Deposit payments, and will also be taking prepayments at the next Couch Warriors Ranking Battle in September.
Pre-registration closes on September the 30th. All attendees after this point will have to pay full price at the door.
REGISTERING LINK: http://www.couchwarriors.org/bam/register.php
Here is the Tournament Schedule:
OFFICIAL UPDATED SMASH SCHEDULE:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Teams: 10am - 3pm
Super Smash Bros. Melee Singles: 3pm - 8pm
Brawl Victoria vs. New South Wales: 8pm - 9pm
Melee Victoria vs. Australian All-Stars: 9pm - 10pm
Dodgeball: 9.30am - 10.30am
Super Smash Bros. Melee Teams: 10.30am - 2pm
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles: 2pm - 10pm
And here other organized events in Rocky Season:
OCTOBER 8 - SMASHFEST AT N2C, 6PM START, late night finish time
OCTOBER 9 - SMASHFEST AT NC2, 6PM START, late night finish time
OCTOBER 11 - DODGEBALL MEET AT FLINDERS ST STATION UNDER THE CLOCKS, 9.30AM
The Victoria Hotel – Victoria Hotel is a hotel located in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD. It combines late 1800’s grandeur with contemporary comfort. It is surrounded by thousands of restaurants, bars, accommodation options and entertainment options.
215 Little Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000
• Drivers are encouraged to arrive early to help offload equipment at the loading Zone (accessible from Little Collins Street).
• Public transport users can purchase the Sunday Saver or the Weekend Saver for cheap unlimited trips on Melbourne's Public Transport system. Not that you'd need to if you're staying the city. EVERYTHING is pedestrian friendly.
• Public Transport Users are advised to allow for extra time to make their journey. You can plan for your travels here:
• Lost? Call CAOTIC: 0466-352-145
- The SkyBus runs 24/7 from Tullamarine Airport to Southern Cross in Melbourne's CBD. The trip takes 20 minutes.
Super Smash Bros. Melee Rules:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Rules:
AMENDMENTS: Lylat Cruise added to Random Selection
Accomodation and Housing
Housing with Smashers: Just post away in this thread for free housing.
MEET AT FLINDERS ST STATION UNDER THE CLOCKS, 9.30AM
Defend the King
Held at the Alexandra Gardens.
Melee***s vs. Brawltards.
To start off, you need to pick which side you identify with (you may only pick one). To get team sizes as balanced as possible I may re-distribute players to fit accordingly. If you hate Melee with a passion, rest assured you’ll never be in the Melee team. If you like both games, you are most likely subject to side-switching where I see fit.
Next, we need to assign the ultimate Melee*** and the ultimate Brawltard. They will become your captain or kings, whichever you prefer to identify them as (King Brawltard has a nice ring to it). It is your team’s job to defend the King within the usual limitations of Dodgeball. You may sacrifice yourself to protect your king, but doing so will shrink the size of your team once you are eliminated. If you catch a ball on the full, you eliminate the thrower. Your team loses if the King is hit by a Dodgeball.
This game of Dodgeball is designed to determine which game is better; whichever team wins in a set of three is the better game.
Interstate Crew Battles
In the beginning, I mentioned there would be one crew battle to rule them all. And I was right (for both games). There will be only one exhibition-style crew battle at Rocky. Each battle will take the full hour block dedicated to it on Saturday night (See: Schedule). We have time constraints, and a heck of a lot of folks attending. In light of this I'll happily announce the following crew battles:
Brawl: VICTORIA (Captain Tibs) vs. NEW SOUTH WALES (Captain Shaya)
Melee: VICTORIA (Captain CAOTIC) vs. ALL STARS (Captain Accelerate)
Both crew battles will be 8 v 8 crew battles.
Each player will have an assigned main announced before the battle begins.
Random stages only, 1 stage strike per player, per match.
All other standard rules apply.
CAOTIC (Smash Vet) - This guy is legit. He's been running tourneys for 5 years and makes everything awesome. Runs events in Sydney/Melbourne/San Diego/Los Angeles. http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Smasher:CAOTIC
Jei (Smash Gangsta) - Runs Melbourne's Brawl Scene. Has been in the game for 3 years. Provides a lot of energy into growing Melbourne's Brawl scene. Plays Yoshi. And he looks gangsta and comes from the westside so all the kiddies pee their pants.
X (Smash Brah) - He will probably be too drunk to realise he's in a ****ing Smash tourney <3
Redcat (Smash Weasel) – Sure, why not? He’ll look after pool management.
Shaya (Smash Sister) - Runs Sydney's Smash Scene (or used to until he whined too much). Likes to record lots and lots of videos and putting videos of himself beating other people cus that's what video people do. Usually runs Smash 64 when I look away.
So what are you waiting for?
Please support this event in any way possible by bringing the following items: TV's, Wiis/Gamecubes, Brawl/Melee discs, video-camera equipment.
ROCKY – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Thanks for coming to what is likely to be the largest and most competitive tournament in Australian Smashboards history. Have a read through this so you can prepare yourself for what will be a very busy weekend of activities.
On the mornings
• Please arrive super early (9am or earlier for Saturday morning and 9.30am at Flinders St Station for Sunday morning) – this will help you avoid lengthy registration queues and give me an extra pair of hands to help setup! You get some friendlies this way too, deal? Sunday is Dodgeball, and is amazing.
• For drivers: If you have heavy equipment to supply (and you should be bringing Televisions and console setups), enter Little Collins Street from Russell, Exhibition or Spring Streets. Then turn left into Athenaeum Place. This is the loading zone – it has lift access that will take you down to the basement hall.
• There’s plenty of private parking around the CBD – hunt around for weekend deals.
• Any items you provide for Rocky can be stored safely in the venue overnight.
• Don’t forget the little things like power-boards and extension cables.
• Everyone, please bring your Melee and Brawl console and game setups! Lately we’ve been getting more TV’s than game setups, which is somewhat disturbing…
Conduct and Tournament-Organiser discretionary powers
BAM/Rocky will be held in a central-city venue with a moderate degree of public exposure. It is a condition of entering BAM/Rocky that you exercise good and proper conduct. Anyone believed to incite anti-social or disruptive behaviour will be refused entry, or evicted by hotel security. Tournament organisers reserve the right to refuse a person entry on discretionary grounds.
• The efficiency of Rocky will be a group effort. Do not rely on someone to call out your match in your pools and brackets. Always check your own progress to make sure you do not fall behind the pace of the tournament. Any person found to be holding back a tournament for whatever reason, will be disqualified.
• Use your lanyards & tags (issued upon registration on the day) to find and locate people you need to verse.
• Do not engage in friendly play unless otherwise authorised by a tournament organiser (CAOTIC/Shaya/Jei/X/Redact/Myst Walker). There will be penalties for this.
• Do not hog a friendly TV set, even if you constantly win.
Crew Battle Traditions
During Brawl and Melee Crew Battles, all Smash TV stations will be switched off except for the main stage. This is designed to switch the focus of the tournament to crews, to improve the spectator atmosphere. Don’t want to watch Victoria give everyone the ****? Spend some time in the DIY room or the SF4/BB room. Or you could just leave… the city is fun on Saturday night.
Breaks are possible during Melee and Brawl Pools, since only half of the pools will be played at any one time. If your pool is not scheduled to be played first, you’re free to explore the city and grab a bite to eat at this time, but don’t be late in returning!
Music and Videos
Got any cool beats and/or Smash Videos? Pass it onto the Smash Workstation – we have a good sound system and projector setup to put to good use.
This is one of my schemes to get everyone to arrive in the city on time for the second day. We meet at the Flinders Street Station clocks early, 9.30am (The corner of Flinders Street and Swanston Street).
Payouts / Awards
If you have won anything from either Brawl and/or Melee, payouts, trophies and medals will be given out on Sunday night.
For any further questions that aren’t covered here, contact me directly: