• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rocky 2009 - Hyper coverage on sale March 31

Who will win Brawl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nova

Banned via Warnings

Oh i have another betting thing. If anyone beats ant in a ganondorf ditto in a tourney set i will give them $500.
If ant uses Ganon in the next SA tourney I will totally try for this then. <3

Anyway: Rocky > Everything. Even though I failed terribly (I should never use Snake, I always lose with him, I had all my wins with Sheik/Zelda and all my losses with Snake, wtf...) the whole experience was just absolutely amazing. I completely loved watching the Melee Finals (so... sooo intense). Corpse is ****ing amazing. I think my fav matches were Sirias V Cao (Melee), Corpse V Amaterasu & Tibs V Corpse was giving me a headache, such fast and responsive players; I actually couldn't follow it. I had more fun watching the matches then I did with my own. :chuckle:

I was only slightly into to the Smash Scene before this event, now I'm ****ing hardcorely (can't think of a word) addicted). ^_____________________^

I'll do shoutouts when I'm not at an airport. >_>

Alzi

Smash Master
Ant is best ganondorf in Australia. If you do beat him i will still not give you the money because ant was purposly not playing good :p.

Metanova you placed well with Apollo aswell congrats on that.

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
soz i meant to say came second but it went to the very last round and was really close... it was tanman, who abandoned sonic about 3 months after the said tournament, because he was barely winning any rounds at all.
Just caught up on reading through the entirety of what I missed, shoutouts will come later since they'll be epicly long and crazy, but for now...

Harsh man, very Harsh. I Sonic'd both Rocky and last Stigma, you just weren't around to see it; Luigi and DK that Month was basically doing what you did with Lucas that time =P

Also, cut me a bit more slack man; sure, I haven't placed top, but I've been holding up fine throughout each Stigma. I admit it was mostly matchup inexperience (Though, first tourny ever for me - I didn't know matchups either =P) that got me my wins, but don't sell me short as a player. What happened man, I thought we were friends? =/

Oh, and don't lump me in the same category of Corpse - He's got way more skill in his left pinky than I've got in my whole right hand. At least, as TL.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Wait a second. My bad.

I just read the last few pages and everyone does seem to want it. I'll re-open your thread. My apologies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Bump for title change.

"Australia’s longest running multi-platform videogame magazine HYPER has just gained even more respect points from the gaming community. The March issue of Hyper will feature an article about last years “Battle Arena Melbourne” (BAM) written by a freelancer named Mikolai who attended the event. For those who don’t know what BAM is, it’s Melbourne’s biggest annual fighting game event. While BAM only started last year, it has already been a success, with the SFIV tournament alone having close to 100 entrants from around Australia.
Australian gamers have been waiting a long time to see more media here in Australia cover eSports in their newspapers and magazines. So with this news coming about Hyper covering BAM, I can only hope more media outlets follow.
So on behalf of the fighting game community and the gaming community in general, thank you Hyper. If you guys want to thank Hyper another way, then be sure to buy the next issue which will be in stores on March 31st."

Look forward to seeing how much of the Smash interviews get the chopping block!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Don't bow to me just yet - I'm worried Smash won't even make the cut! It ****ing better!

Zero

Smash Hero
Can't wait to read the interview on tangible paper! I wonder if the writer made any comments about the Smash community's presence there. I've heard rumours that we were "too loud" during Brawl finals, lolol.

Zero

Smash Hero
Yeah every now and again I would turn my head to see what the SF4 guys were yelling at, and it was like a 2 hit combo (lol irony)

Melancholy

Smash Ace
My copy arrived in the mail today.

I'd say the article was less about BAM and more about the fighting game scene in Australia, and the focus seemed firmly on Street Fighter. It discussed the growth of the scene via online play and youtube, the fighting game scene in sydney (Ozhadou in particular) and also had a section on the evolution of Street Fighter.
However smash got plenty of mention, with a few choice quotes from Mr. David Cao. Smashboards got a plug as well.
I'd recommend everyone get a copy and have a read yourself, especially Ted and Luke who got their picture in ;)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lolwtf? I'm in a gaming mag? they didnt even interview us or ask us or anything?
still thats pretty cool.

Melancholy

Smash Ace
Yeah it's just ted in his wario hat and you with your arm around him. Cao was the only smasher they talked to, or at least the only one whose quotes made the cut.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Street Fighter gets given love when Smash has to earn it (even though the size of both scenes in Australia are similar). I suppose it's just the way mainstream works.

In any case, look for this:

The first rule of the UFC is that you don't talk about the UFC. Actually, that's an outright lie -- and good thing, too, because we dedicate six pages and the front cover of Hyper 199 to the world's biggest fighting sensation, the Ultimate Fighting Championship. We're there ringside as the UFC hits Sydney, and we compare the blood and sweat from actual fights to what THQ's newest game, UFC Undisputed 2010, has in store.

Fight clubs of a different sort can be seen in our own backyard. Battle Arena Melbourne (or BAM, to use its rather fittingly punchy acronym) sees the country's best Streeties and Brawl players go head to head, while Sydney's OzHadou group constantly trade blows over walking Russian meat tanks and guys who swallowed yin and yang. Competitive gaming is where the pwners are separated from the noobs (I'm sorry), and we check it out.

Reviews? Consider them super-sized. God of War III, Final Fantasy XIII and No More Heroes 2 get four pages a piece, while we also give ample word time to the likes of Just Cause 2, Red Steel 2, Yakuza 3, Metro 2033, Runaway 3, and some other games that probably have some numbers in their title. In preview town, we go hands-on with the Blur multiplayer beta and check out the latest Boreanaz-less Kingdom Hearts, while Jickle has a fiddle with a full deck in his latest Barrel romp.

There's also a comprehensive look at gaming's dim and dark origins, discussing what has happened throughout the decades to bring us the games we play today, as well as a confession from Dan Staines that he once knew someone who looked "JUST LIKE" Alex Kidd.

Truly, the only place you'll read all about it is in Hyper 199, on sale from Wednesday, March 31!

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I remember having the chance to be interviewed but I completely chickened out and let Cake/Eryn take the bullet for me. :embarrass

I really want to buy this issue now!!

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
So, I got it this morning...

Like Alex said, the focus was firmly on Street Fighter, although rather than "got plenty of mention" I felt that Smash was more of an afterthought. Most of the Cao quotes seemed to be to support some point made about Street Fighter, and I'm pretty sure Loki was quoted with something Cao said lulz. But yeah, it was nice to be plugged.

Also other unrelated things annoy me that have nothing to do with Smash.

Spotted in photos: Ted x2, Luke, Sieg x2 (BB/SF fgt), other random smashers I don't know the names of.

Still, it was an interesting read. First time I'd heard about EVO APAC and it was nice Sydney was repped as the premier fighter state. :B

Sieg

Smash Champion
WHAT?

I'M IN HYPER?

BB/SF fgt? That's not very nice.

Now I need to get this copy.

EDIT: I'M IN THERE TWICE?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Yeah, well.

YOU'RE NOT VERY NICE. :(

Nah you're legit, it's just that you were only in SF/BB photos lulz.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
"Loki was quoted with something Cao said" Yeah, that's correct. But it's fine.

Sydney the Australian epicentre for Street Fighter = most definently (the remark was probably written in this context).
For Smash = most definently not.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Just went for a walk down to the shops and bought a copy.

Pretty good write up, for SF4. lol. Smash really didn't get much love. But it was cool to see that bigger tournaments are starting to get noticed.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Didn't want to read this thread and spoil the article but wishing I did now. This is complete bull****.

Cao, what was the numbers for SF4 vs Smash?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
if they were going for sex appeal then the front cover would just be splice with no shirt

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Didn't want to read this thread and spoil the article but wishing I did now. This is complete bull****.

Cao, what was the numbers for SF4 vs Smash?
SF4 was in the 90+ mark, Smash was in the 100+ mark. Like I said earlier, Smash never gets the credit it deserves.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Thanks Cao. Gonna send them a letter to rage. Not going to be getting it anymore.

Top Bottom