• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I doubt I'll ever see this used but it's an explanation of game mechanics, i guess. The same thing happens with MK or Kirby doing upthrows- you keep the same relative horizontal velocity as the platform below you. If the floor disappears instead of continues to follow you (Rainbow cruise, left side, for example, or frigate transforming), you force an air release with you...also in the air
You can also see a strange version of this by doing MK/Kirbys Uthrow and having G&W Uair them. I wonder if that works with ROB too...

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well get on smashville and try it @.@ my friend mains gaw...lol if i ever happened to grab someone with rob on the moving platform...they're so screwed :p

TheMike

Smash Lord
Wario has a guaranteed combo on MK on the moving platform. Air Grab Release > Fart. The platform's movement puts Wario on the right position to Fart. I wonder if ROB can get something guaranteed on the moving platform. :D

Fishy, as I said, I'll be able to upload it only on Friday. I hope I see you on the Boards on Friday so as to send my Wii Number because I don't know it by heart.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I only saw the first match so far. Your playstyle may have changed since September, but here's what I saw:

One thing in general was noticeable- powershielding. I think it's an "I play ROB and I grew up with sidestep>downsmash" thing, and this applies to at least 75% of ROBs (including me sometimes), but you need to improve the speed and accuracy of powershields. 0:37 and 1:28 are good examples of this. I know it's a natural response to hit the shield button when you hear thunder jolt begin, but when you press it too early, all it does is drain your shield and give you lag after the attack hits you. Thunder Jolt is slower than it seems, and is definitely slower than it sounds. 1:34, on the other hand, illustrates this point- you were able to fire a laser and still powershield in time. Some of your other powershields were good, but little things like this go a long way in keeping yourself out of bad situations in the long run.

1:42- You learned your lesson- don't try to beat that with nair... or anything else. Either recover high and airdodge through thunder (which IS possible) or hover for a bit, cancel up-B and reflect thunder with side B if you see it coming. If you're coming from below the stage, go for the ledge and use invincibility frames to punish thunder or get back on the stage. This doesn't mean to fly to the ledge ASAP (you CAN outlast a pikachu that jumps off to get you) because you don't want to be floating into a ledgedropped aerial or ledgedropped thunder. Taking an extra half-second to float up/cancel upb with fair is usually worth it because it gives you the option to react instead of play rock-paper-scissors offstage

1:55- lol. I like it =P Might not be reliable but it certainly worked so I can't complain.
2:01- I like the nair stall, giving you a clear path to the ledge instead of trying to land with a falling Nair. You don't want to get shieldgrabbed or hit with another thunder
2:02- you decided that you DID want to get shieldgrabbed or hit with another thunder by trying to land with a falling Nair instead of grabbing the ledge or recovering high. Instead of up-B-ing immediately again, drop below the edge and up-B into it, automatically grabbing it
2:07- Close, but not quite. In cases like this, you can hit with a Nair and sometimes a Fair and make it back offstage safely but you went for too much. Take the extra moment to float offstage to get a better position. Even if you don't hit pika during thunder lag, there's enough ending lag to let you have a better chance of making it back than trying to nair and keep going.
2:11- Much better, even if it was the only option at the time.
2:38- to be fair, falling Nair is/was also a bad habit of mine. It's such a sucky feeling to get shieldgrabbed after it though, so getting punished repeatedly eventually helped me break the habit.
3:05- Good
Last stock- I feel like you were fishing for the KO too much, throwing out a LOT of upsmashes where uptilts might have been better, or forward smashes where forward tilts might have reached. You ended up KOing with dsmash, which could have been DI'ed better, but you took a lot of damage in the process.
4:50- You were dangerously close there. Going for the Dair was not worth putting yourself in that position, especially with some fuel already gone, with pikachu at 0%, and with you at 110%

Just working on avoiding thunder both onstage and offstage and dealing with thunder jolt will save you a lot of % as well as saving a lot of your shield. Watching the end again, I noticed that when hanging on the ledge, you nearly always got back onstage by pressing the control stick. Just something to think about, since the pikachu only punished this once (though it was a costly once, giving you about 20% at the end that you really didn't want).

Edit: ftilt is a good punisher, and outranging pikachu is nice

Edit #2: ROBcide video up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx81Pc-VjLo
Works against other characters but remember to face away from the stage, otherwise you die and the opponent survives.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Quick question. I always use fAir to momentum cancel. Now I heard somewhere that ROB doesn't have a Momentum Cancel. Is this true?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Fair off the sides, if you DI wrong and you're not near the very corner of the stage, then jump to get as close to the corner as possible. Otherwise, if you're already at the corner, dont jump or you might die.

Off the top, Bair.

There's some complicated *** method involving side b that lets you live 1% longer, but its not really worth it

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
preferably MisterEric (for beating Hilt) and Chibo Sempai (for beating P~S/Logic)

Could u give me thorough tips on the Olimar vs ROB matchup?
yeah bro, just saw this, ill give you some tips a little later

i is a tiredbot right now ^_^

Tin Man

Smash Hero
hey stingers, Bair toward the top, really, u also have to fast fall as well right? Why? Dont u use ur fastest aerial and then fast fall when u are dying off the top, again, why Bair? Also how would you suggest I physically perform the momentum cancel? When I think about it, I use the C-stick to perform the aerial, and then I mash down on control stick to fast fall.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
hey stingers, Bair toward the top, really, u also have to fast fall as well right? Why? Dont u use ur fastest aerial and then fast fall when u are dying off the top, again, why Bair? Also how would you suggest I physically perform the momentum cancel? When I think about it, I use the C-stick to perform the aerial, and then I mash down on control stick to fast fall.
The last thing you want to do is fly straight up, youll die sooner, Bair pushes you towards the side (closer to the corners) + DI and Fast Falling. The moment they hit you smash both sticks to the side ASAP, then mash down/sideways on the left stick and sideways on your C-stick.

So use good judgement on when to use Bair or Fair.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Usually though when I'm hit facing the other side (say I'm hit to the upper right, I'm usually facing the left), so when I bair, I'm actually hurting myself. I just play it safe with Bair.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
When I used to try and bair, I would always stick my robo booty outside the kill zone. One time I recovered, went off the screen and came back without me rear.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
I'm sick of the ROB MK match up. I'll main ROB still but I need a secondary for when I run into MK. I can't pick between kirby and G&W. Ideas?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm sick of the ROB MK match up. I'll main ROB still but I need a secondary for when I run into MK. I can't pick between kirby and G&W. Ideas?
rally to ban MK is your best shot.

Playing MK as a secondary is your next best shot, but unfortunately he'll be better than your main in all matchups.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Diddy, MK, or snake are your best options.

but only if you dont want to take the time to play against TONS of MK and learn the MU like the back of your hand. Thats what ive done and its not that bad anymore.

mossdog

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the input guys. I may just try to tie with them in obnoxiousness and din's fire spam. lol

Sudai

Stuff here
Diddy, MK, or snake are your best options.

but only if you dont want to take the time to play against TONS of MK and learn the MU like the back of your hand. Thats what ive done and its not that bad anymore.

LOL! Really..LOL

I have tooonnnnssssss of MK MU experience. If the MK has ANY ROB experience, it doesn't even matter. There is -nothing- ROB can do to beat an MK of equal skill. Projectiles are hella easy to powershield and his ground AND air options outdisjoint AND outspeed ours.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
LOL! Really..LOL

I have tooonnnnssssss of MK MU experience. If the MK has ANY ROB experience, it doesn't even matter. There is -nothing- ROB can do to beat an MK of equal skill. Projectiles are hella easy to powershield and his ground AND air options outdisjoint AND outspeed ours.
touché....

stingers

Smash Obsessed
idk it's bad but it's not awful tbqh. its 35-65 imo. i mean rob probably won't win but he does have counters to most of mks ****, it just requires mad prediction and a bit of divine intervention

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Use Kirby. A lot of MK's don't have too much Kirby exp., and Kirby actually isn't too bad against MK in the first place. My roommate mains Kirby and can beat a good deal of MK's around here.

Top Bottom