• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I don't believe Keitaro beat any ROB players, mang. We don't make it that far in the brackets. *cough*

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Quick question. I played a wario a few days ago and i was grab releasing him to u-smash. Is this legit or fluke? I grab him and DID NOT PUMMEL and i got an air release. Is thi the correct way to do it or is it a fluke?

TheMike

Smash Lord
Quick question. I played a wario a few days ago and i was grab releasing him to u-smash. Is this legit or fluke? I grab him and DID NOT PUMMEL and i got an air release. Is thi the correct way to do it or is it a fluke?
You can pummel, but you need to stop sometime before Wario gets out of the grab. Oh, it isn't legit. :/

ROB doens't have anything guaranteed on Wario after an Air Release. I remember Chibo saying this IIRC.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
If you manage to get him to air release, I *think* u-smash is guaranteed. Could be wrong, but i think a U-air is guaranteed? Like I said... i never manage to get an air release, lol.

TheMike

Smash Lord
0-9% - Don't pummel
10-14% - Pummel once, stop.
15-24% - Pummel twice, stop.
25-34% - Pummel three times, stop.
35%-44% - Pummel four times, stop.
45%-60% - Pummel five times, stop.

Probably something similiar to that.
After 60% I think you can get the right time to stop.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
0-9% - Don't pummel
10-14% - Pummel once, stop.
15-24% - Pummel twice, stop.
25-34% - Pummel three times, stop.
35%-44% - Pummel four times, stop.
45%-60% - Pummel five times, stop.

Probably something similiar to that.
After 60% I think you can get the right time to stop.
if i do what u say above, i am promised a air release?

Xyro77 (12:06:14 PM): I was playing a wario a few days ago and i was getting grab releases to usmash. is this legit or fluke?
Xyro77 (12:06:17 PM): with rob
ChiboSempai (12:06:28 PM): it works if he air releases
ChiboSempai (12:06:32 PM): but its not a guaranteed air release
ChiboSempai (12:06:42 PM): if the wario mashes out without touching up x or y
ChiboSempai (12:06:45 PM): he will ground release
ChiboSempai (12:06:48 PM): but the slightest mistake
ChiboSempai (12:06:50 PM): which is easy to do
ChiboSempai (12:06:56 PM): especially when ppl just mash out crazy fast
ChiboSempai (12:07:00 PM): they air release
ChiboSempai (12:09:04 PM): when he air releases
ChiboSempai (12:09:23 PM): at low percent uair
ChiboSempai (12:09:25 PM): for damage
ChiboSempai (12:09:28 PM): at kill percent usmash

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
if i do what u say above, i am promised a air release?
ROB doesn't have a true air-release on Wario. IIRC, the only way to get it is if the Wario tries to mash out, OR if you are doing it on slanted ground. Bsaically, if Wario's feet are above the ground or whatever = guaranteed air release (I believe). If they aren't, then it requires him not to mash out. Hence, why I rarely get air releases. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Xyro's edit ninja'd my post.

TheMike

Smash Lord
What I said is what you should do to try a Air Release. Wario can get out with a Ground Release, making this not legit, as I said:

TheMike said:
You can pummel, but you need to stop sometime before Wario gets out of the grab. Oh, it isn't legit. :/

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I don't believe Keitaro beat any ROB players, mang. We don't make it that far in the brackets. *cough*
But I get to play ya'll in pools.

I lost to Holy Nightmare 2-0 in pools at COT4. Besides that I beat Baji, Chibo twice, and that's all I can remember.

I really do not like to be up close to ROB because when my Falco is up close it usually gets beat up, so I run and shoot lasers.

1st match I had vs Chibo in the summer I believe he 2 stocked me when I tried to fight. After that I 2 stocked him and maybe a 3 stock with laser camping :p I don't fully remember Chibo so sorry if my information is a little off.

But Holy Nightmare was really good at getting past the lasers and everytime he got close to me I received 45% lol!

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
lol keitaro we played half of a friendly waaaaay back in like June at dapuffster's tourney. It was after you Rock smashed through my Mario in low tiers

I want to get a real set with you, but I've got arm-in-a-cast-johns. Maybe some NJ tourney in the future

buenob

Smash Lord
keit :) we're in the same pool! looking forward to playing you... the falco/rob matchup is epic mindgames

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Random thought: Would a ROBcide be possible...on Frigate? Grab, upthrow, but the stage transforms after ROB has grabbed the opponent and is in the air, before coming down. You go from being on a side platform, or even the stage, possibly, up in the air a bit, and down (stage flip!) with the opponent for the KO.

I've never seen this happen, but if it's possible, someone should do it at Pound 4 lol

Edit: Delfino could theoretically work too, if both players *happened* to be at the very bottom of the stage when the main platforms were already way up.

Sudai

Stuff here
You can easily test something like this on smashville and it doesn't work. If I remember correctly, like Kirby and MK's UThrows, there's an invisible floor where ROB starts the UThrow and you will land on it then proceed to go into your "being in the air" animation. I'd recommend going test it for yourself on SV instead of taking my word for it though.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Hmm, hadn't thought of that lol. I'll go try it out, i guess. My brain misses obvious things at 12:30

edit: smashville's platform moves too slowly. I still land on the actual thing

Well, once again, frigate has amused me. On the first setup, there's a platform that moves up and down on the right side. When you upthrow and it moves up, you hit the ground and throw. When you do it and it moves down, you go the extra distance and then hit the ground and throw. Nothing major.

When you do an upthrow just as the stage transforms, you reach the top of the upthrow animation, THEN you flip over (which can either greatly change your altitude or barely affect it at all, depending on where you are when it transforms), and then simply break out and fall down normally. No throw/damage, and the opponent falls like snake if you grab his cypher and he falls back instead of jumps back. I didn't try to get it in the "star KO" spot though. It's hard with a GC controller and a Wiimote =(

Here's where it gets even more interesting.

On the flip side of Frigate, where there are two moving platforms that enter and exit from the sides, upthrow does even more lulzy things. I don't know if Kirby/MK give the same results, but ROB was...interesting.

On either platform, as far as I can tell, if you start the upthrow as it moves away (much faster than the SV platform!), you actually follow the platform's path offstage. That's right, you actually move sideways in the AIR while doing an upthrow. Assuming this to be true, this would explain why I always landed back on the smashville platform better than the "it moves slowly" explanation.

It gets even more lulzy. If your back is to the stage and you do this as the platform starts moving away, you BOTH die. Even if you're as close to the edge of the platform as possible, I haven't found a way to survive. However, if you're facing the stage (the opponent is at the edge), ONLY YOU GET KO'd. Somehow, the opponent always breaks away in the air and falls down (and toward the stage, since you were facing that way) and survives. Since in either case, you're close enough to be considered in the same position, this tells me that you don't both die off the side at the same time if your back is to the main stage. I haven't been able to survive at all, however, and both characters always die that way.

I haven't done this with the last stocks of both characters in a stock match, so I don't know if this would lead to Sudden Death or not (facing away from the stage, otherwise the opponent breaks free and wins). My guess is that it wouldn't, but I don't know.

Thought# 2. Delfino/Rainbow cruise? maybe tomorrow

Oh wait, it IS tomorrow lol.
You can ROBcide other characters at 0% with a nicely timed upthrow at the top-right part of Rainbow Cruise as it falls down. This is even more useless than the others since nobody is ever in grab range at the top as it falls down and not only is anything close to 0 mash-out-able, but anything high enough to NOT be mash-out-able in the time it takes for the stage to fall is served with an earlier upthrow anyway. The moving platforms follow the same pattern as frigate- even in upthrow's animation, which doesn't allow you to control movement, you move with the same horizontal velocity as the platform under you. That means that you won't be ROBciding off the boat or the pendulum anytime soon. If the platform beneath you disappears, the throw is broken up and both characters fall down

Sudai

Stuff here
Hmm, I guess I never did test that with ROB, only Kirby and MK. I'd imagine it works the same way though, sadly. But hey, at least we still have the ROBiscide on the second transformation on the moving platforms. XP

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
see how in detail we are going with the Falco and now the DK matchup, I would very much like a detailed response on how to deal with Wario, please, pretty please, when I say detailed, I mean detailed like dull razpr and Nagaces posts, inside and out peopl, I stated all my problems earlier in detail, someone please help in detail
aside from what stingers and I said, I've uploaded a video of myself against a wario. I'll take it down if he doesn't want it up but its an offline friendly (note, the ending) we had after a couple earlier matches, so I don't think he'll mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwwbfNWoBQ the awful quality becomes better 10 seconds into the match but I have no capture card or anything so I literally balanced a camera on my couch, hit record, and then went through the replay. We had played a couple games beforehand, so mindgames and stuff could change, but I think a lot of the important stuff is there.

I specifically split my playstyle into different parts so you can see what works. For example: I recommend Bair spam, which has helped me ever since this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bNfKNSEKcI came out. At first, I thought it was a little excessive, but it works, even at higher levels of play. You'll see that from the beginning to around 1:10, ROB is facing Wario (making Bair harder to use) almost the entire time. The result? It's harder for ROB to deal with Wario's air speed.

edit: by backair, I mean shorthop (toward wario if you can, or not if you're worried about space), fastfall a backair and it'll autocancel. Shielding immediately, dsmashing, or turn>jab (3 frames) or ftilt for range work well after an autocancelled shff'ed back air, depending on where Wario is compared to ROB.

After 1:10, Bairs start to appear and shielding becomes my friend. I'm anticipating Nair becoming a possible kill move so I am fine with Bairing a lot, even if it means that Wario doesn't die as early as ROB. Since they're friendlies, I didn't really go for grab>upsmash, though that's guaranteed after an air release (there's a sexy grab release into gyro>regrab>air release later on) You can jump back/inch forward before bairing which will allow you to get more of them off before reaching the edge. If you're worried about hitting the edge, just shield and bait a reaction. Backair keeps wario far enough away and pushes ROB far enough away (or hits Wario, in a best-case scenario) so that fastfalling +autocanceling it puts you out of grab range, making shielding safe. From there, what you do depends on if wario is directly above you (rolling away works fine, or uptilt for a risk vs reward thing which usually benefits ROB- uptilt has surprising reach), on the ground next to you (dsmash, spotdodge, or move the other way if you're expecting a super armor-happy fsmash, or even jab) Back to the video... when facing wario, only try to gain space or a better position until you can hit with projectiles or a move without getting hit back. I tried not to abuse back air and grab releases that much so you'll see me doing forward throws without pummeling or more dtilts/ftilts than I normally would. I only like ftilts if the wario is grounded and spaced in ftilt range- it's too slow to be effective when wario is flying around in the air.

Grab relase (ground release) to dtilt, or run up (if he rolls away, run after him and regrab), shield a spotdodge, and punish is always a mindgame against any character and it works here too. Back to the video...

2:35. Worried about wario dying late? Stay grounded and shield often, and you can live to high percents too. This helps avoid upair problems. shielding/rolling away eliminates fsmashes, and the only advice I have for you regarding wafts is to watch the timer as well as wario, since the hitboxes can seem awkward to avoid. You can DI his throws, so they're not that big of a KO factor, just damage-rackers. You'll also notice that I throw out a gyro somehwere around here, and you don't see a lot of lasers. Play CLOSE to the gyro, but don't always pick it UP. glide-tossing against wario's air speed makes it hard to hit, even with the follow-up, and having it on the ground limits his options in the air. He wants to attack you and then retreat out of range, which is made more difficult by the gyro. Lasers have too much ending lag to use unless wario is well out of range of any physical attacks. Also, note the difference between when I'm facing him again compared to when I back air, backair>ftilt, or even short hop>airdodge (he was expecting the backair, though I missed the followup). Along the way, I make some mistakes such as not spacing as well as I should, getting shieldgrabbed from landing with an attack, or even picking up the bike, twice I think. The rest is more of the same, facing him is more of an exchange whereas facing away from him makes it harder for him.

I thought there would be more of a reaction from finding out about upthrow's silliness, but maybe other people knew that already

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
So I'm a kirby main and I'm thinking about picking up rob. How well does he do against ice climbers? I have heard mixed opinions about this match up. If some one could tell me how this match up should go down and how I should be playing it i would greatly appreciate it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
ROB beats the Ice Climbers. Nair, Dsmash, and the gyro separate the two very easily and you can camp the snot out of them as well as **** either of them when separated.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Against ICs you should camp. When they approach, use Dsmash to separate them(Aerials, such as Nair, Fair and Bair are also good options) and for punishes.

If you kill Nana, it becomes easier. So try gimps, go off stage!
When facing SoPo(Solo Popo), you can do ****.

Sudai

Stuff here
If you're in the lead, gimp Nana then camp Popo. Don't kill him, just camp him. It'll piss the IC off and you'd be surprised how much getting under your opponent's skin can help. I've actually had a few matches where the IC killed themselves so they could get Nana back cause they couldn't do **** with just Popo. XD

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
If you're in the lead, gimp Nana then camp Popo. Don't kill him, just camp him. It'll piss the IC off and you'd be surprised how much getting under your opponent's skin can help. I've actually had a few matches where the IC killed themselves so they could get Nana back cause they couldn't do **** with just Popo. XD
Wow. I never thought of this before. Good stuff
Lol.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
aside from what stingers and I said, I've uploaded a video of myself against a wario. I'll take it down if he doesn't want it up but its an offline friendly (note, the ending) we had after a couple earlier matches, so I don't think he'll mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwwbfNWoBQ the awful quality becomes better 10 seconds into the match but I have no capture card or anything so I literally balanced a camera on my couch, hit record, and then went through the replay. We had played a couple games beforehand, so mindgames and stuff could change, but I think a lot of the important stuff is there.

I specifically split my playstyle into different parts so you can see what works. For example: I recommend Bair spam, which has helped me ever since this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bNfKNSEKcI came out. At first, I thought it was a little excessive, but it works, even at higher levels of play. You'll see that from the beginning to around 1:10, ROB is facing Wario (making Bair harder to use) almost the entire time. The result? It's harder for ROB to deal with Wario's air speed.

edit: by backair, I mean shorthop (toward wario if you can, or not if you're worried about space), fastfall a backair and it'll autocancel. Shielding immediately, dsmashing, or turn>jab (3 frames) or ftilt for range work well after an autocancelled shff'ed back air, depending on where Wario is compared to ROB.

After 1:10, Bairs start to appear and shielding becomes my friend. I'm anticipating Nair becoming a possible kill move so I am fine with Bairing a lot, even if it means that Wario doesn't die as early as ROB. Since they're friendlies, I didn't really go for grab>upsmash, though that's guaranteed after an air release (there's a sexy grab release into gyro>regrab>air release later on) You can jump back/inch forward before bairing which will allow you to get more of them off before reaching the edge. If you're worried about hitting the edge, just shield and bait a reaction. Backair keeps wario far enough away and pushes ROB far enough away (or hits Wario, in a best-case scenario) so that fastfalling +autocanceling it puts you out of grab range, making shielding safe. From there, what you do depends on if wario is directly above you (rolling away works fine, or uptilt for a risk vs reward thing which usually benefits ROB- uptilt has surprising reach), on the ground next to you (dsmash, spotdodge, or move the other way if you're expecting a super armor-happy fsmash, or even jab) Back to the video... when facing wario, only try to gain space or a better position until you can hit with projectiles or a move without getting hit back. I tried not to abuse back air and grab releases that much so you'll see me doing forward throws without pummeling or more dtilts/ftilts than I normally would. I only like ftilts if the wario is grounded and spaced in ftilt range- it's too slow to be effective when wario is flying around in the air.

Grab relase (ground release) to dtilt, or run up (if he rolls away, run after him and regrab), shield a spotdodge, and punish is always a mindgame against any character and it works here too. Back to the video...

2:35. Worried about wario dying late? Stay grounded and shield often, and you can live to high percents too. This helps avoid upair problems. shielding/rolling away eliminates fsmashes, and the only advice I have for you regarding wafts is to watch the timer as well as wario, since the hitboxes can seem awkward to avoid. You can DI his throws, so they're not that big of a KO factor, just damage-rackers. You'll also notice that I throw out a gyro somehwere around here, and you don't see a lot of lasers. Play CLOSE to the gyro, but don't always pick it UP. glide-tossing against wario's air speed makes it hard to hit, even with the follow-up, and having it on the ground limits his options in the air. He wants to attack you and then retreat out of range, which is made more difficult by the gyro. Lasers have too much ending lag to use unless wario is well out of range of any physical attacks. Also, note the difference between when I'm facing him again compared to when I back air, backair>ftilt, or even short hop>airdodge (he was expecting the backair, though I missed the followup). Along the way, I make some mistakes such as not spacing as well as I should, getting shieldgrabbed from landing with an attack, or even picking up the bike, twice I think. The rest is more of the same, facing him is more of an exchange whereas facing away from him makes it harder for him.

I thought there would be more of a reaction from finding out about upthrow's silliness, but maybe other people knew that already
THANK YOU, <3 U WAFFLES, Ill look into these vids and what u said

Edit: what do u do vs Uthrow?

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Sorry, didnt read past the first page, but i would like to say that as a ROB main, his most useful attack by far is D-Smash. From my experience, his best playstyle is to play defensively. Spam B and Down-B until they get close then either Forward-B or dodge it, then immediately D-Smash. It seems to be incredibly useful on Wolf and Marth.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Hi, we're the ROB boards and we thank you for sharing your common knowledge. The social thread is right over there.

Also, lol at spamming projectiles at Wolf.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Side-B is ROB's most useful move. It's multi-hit and can often surprise an opponent. On top of that, it also reflects projectiles, so you're safe to use it!

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
The Frigate platform one? Maybe later tonight.

@tin: I'm guessing the problem isn't the upthrow, but being above wario afterward. If you can't get down to a place where you can immediately shield without first getting harassed by upair, then don't stay directly above him... literally. You CAN outlast him by going to the SIDE of the stage and getting back to the ledge if you have to. If you're far enough away, an Nair can cover you well enough to get to the ground/platform, airdodge/backair it gets predictable. There's nothing wrong with stopping, moving AWAY from the opponent, and resetting.

On a similar note, try to do this against ANY character with a low percent juggle. That means stop trying to get the falling nair on mario/luigi/G&W/etc. and just jump away, go to the side and come back horizontally. Minimize weaknesses and blindspots by not putting yourself in a position where you risk opponents exploiting them. General advice, I know, but it saves a LOT of percent on the long run.

TheMike

Smash Lord
The Frigate platform one? Maybe later tonight.
Yeah, this one. I'll be waiting. If you can't, just record it on your Wii and send it to me. I'll send you my Wii Number if this is easier for you, but I'll only be able to upload it on YT on Friday when I arrive home(I'm travelling).

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah, this one. I'll be waiting. If you can't, just record it on your Wii and send it to me. I'll send you my Wii Number if this is easier for you, but I'll only be able to upload it on YT on Friday when I arrive home(I'm travelling).
I don't see the practicality in the ROBcide, your in a position where Fthrow or Bthrow would kill them anyways and you can survive.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
The ROBcide has absolutely no practical use unless you manage to annoy someone into chasing you to the platform (OS's "Benefits of Patience"), and you can get a shield>(pivot)grab facing away from the stage at the short window of opportunity you have when the platform begins moving away.

That's a mouthful.

If you can get all of that + not mashing out, you can force a KO+SD once the upthrow animation begins.
OR, you can pull off an even-more-WTF-lulzy KO (Without ROB dying!) if you manage to do this right as the stage transforms (Forcing an air release too far offstage. I've got 3 replays for TheMike. The first one has most of the stuff, the 3rd one has the sexy KO, and the 2nd one has a weird stunned animation recovery after I break a shield... I don't know what happened there, so when he uploads it, someone let me know.

I doubt I'll ever see this used but it's an explanation of game mechanics, i guess. The same thing happens with MK or Kirby doing upthrows- you keep the same relative horizontal velocity as the platform below you. If the floor disappears instead of continues to follow you (Rainbow cruise, left side, for example, or frigate transforming), you force an air release with you...also in the air

Top Bottom