• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Silhouette

Smash Lord
No no, you all misunderstand me! xD

Once I saw a video where Donkey Kong could glide-toss a beam sword on training mode, but instead of tossing it forward (he went forward of course), he throw it backwards (by "backwards" I mean this: Imagine that you're holding Peach's plucked beam sword in a real battle, and then you press "Z"). Do you get my already bad explanation now?
Do you mean sliding one way and throwing it the other? Because thats what I explained. I've never seen anyone GL with a soft Z toss over the sholder.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
When talking with regard to a particular character, I'd always take the first value [xx:yy] as belonging to that character. Maybe that's just me. Like if a TO asked me how my match with "Dude" went, I'm not gonna say "0-2" if I meant that I won the set 2-0.

Personally, I think the Olimar match-up is fun as hell. In ROB's favor if anything but effectively pretty even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fXTV8Q7maU

What happened with the "thick" laser (does it have another name?) at 3:04?

Weird stage transitioning must've screwed it up. Sometimes the laser gets cut off early for no discernable reason

Wario is a weird MU, he overwhelms us over like crazy with his mobility and far better weight and killpower.
ROB is virtually just as heavy as Wario, you know. ;[

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Weight just doesn't mean survivability. Wario is much better in that case. I used the wrong word for it.

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
No no, you all misunderstand me! xD

Once I saw a video where Donkey Kong could glide-toss a beam sword on training mode, but instead of tossing it forward (he went forward of course), he throw it backwards (by "backwards" I mean this: Imagine that you're holding Peach's plucked beam sword in a real battle, and then you press "Z"). Do you get my already bad explanation now?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229508

?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
And Wario has so much better momentum cancel, but slightly worse recovery. Overall he lives far longer.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What? Wario is heavier, better momentum cancel, falls faster, 30 times better mobility and a great recovery.

Who lives longer now?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
The thing is, ROB doesn't have to commit as much to KO based on our moves are disjointed, our ability to gimp, and our projectiles kill. Honestly I would say that ROB lives longer, played with the mindset of avoiding KO moves.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
Uh hi guys, sorry to interrupt but I was wondering if dash attack utilt was guaranteed at low percents. Oh and uthrow to uair. I just wanna know cuz robs's my secondary

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
The thing is, ROB doesn't have to commit as much to KO based on our moves are disjointed, our ability to gimp, and our projectiles kill. Honestly I would say that ROB lives longer, played with the mindset of avoiding KO moves.
I strongly disagree.

And SoupaSonic, nope it isn't.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Rob isn't that good at avoiding stuff. Big target, crappy shield, crappiest mobility and generally attacks aren't super safe on shield and he get juggles like nobodys business.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yeah I agree with you -LzR-. R.O.B. gets grabbed out of shield every time too. So annoying.

webshooter

Smash Rookie
Are there different ways for performing pivoting and wavebouncing R.O.B.'s gyro? The buttons you press for pivoting your gyro is the same as wavebouncing it, so how do you separate them? For example, I want to do a retreating short hopped pivoted gyro charge, but I end up wavebouncing. Is there some factor that separates pivoting and wavebouncing or is it just random?

Sharky

Smash Master
they aren't quite the same. for the pivot you short hop away then just hit diagonal down-b in the direction you want to face. For the wavebounce you have to hit a couple directions on the control stick.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
webshooter, I'll apologize in advance since I'm usually terrible at explaining things, and this is going to be especially complicated.

Ok, imagine the control stick as a clock with you facing 9 o'clock. Now imagine a line splitting it directly in half vertically (so a line from 6 to 12).

If you are facing 9, and you activate gyro by moving the control stick to 5 o'clock, you will pivot.

If you are facing 9, and you activate gyro by moving the control stick to 7 o'clock, then QUICKLY slamming the control stick to 3 o'clock you will b-reverse (what you called a wavebounce, but they're actually different things).

*So its actually all based on which side of 6 o'clock you start on.

A wavebounce is actually just a pivot and a b-reverse performed in succession, and I'll include a brief description:
If, once again, you were facing 9 o'clock, and you activate gyro by moving to 5 o'clock (causing a pivot) then QUICKLY slam the stick back to 9 o'clock (causing a b-reverse). The whole thing is a wavebounce.

*You may notice whenever you wavebounce you will be facing the same direction as when you started, as opposed to a b-reverse in which you will face the opposite.

So basically, a b-reverse is the mechanism of using a b-move to switch your momentum, while a wavebounce is a double reverse.

*note: whenever you want to perform a b-reverse: Perform your B move of choice in one direction, then quickly slam the stick in the opposite direction you are facing. Works for most B moves, including ROBs Up-B, gyro, and laser. Works for his side B too but is not as drastic.

hope this helped man, welcome to the boards.

webshooter

Smash Rookie
Ahhh, I see now Silhouette. I always thought to pivot my gyro, I had to immediately change directions on my control stick after starting my gyro, making it really hard for me. Now that I know the real way to pivot it, This will definitely step my R.O.B. game up. Thanks!

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
did anyone ever see if rob can footstool out of up b? still waitin on a tested answer and still don't have a wii to test myself. sry bout the inconvienence but this is the q and a thread

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I can tell you...

he can't footstool out of up b but you can just footstool someone then up B. if you're already in your up B then no, its not possible

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
What do you guys think of using side B to pressure shields when they're low?

I've only seen a few videos of stingers, Chibo, Tommy, and Ocean, and I've only seen Ocean use it. I always thought side B was kinda...worthless.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I use side b more frequently than most. Just don't make a habit out of it and it could be a nifty tool. It's not good, but it's more of a "What the **** is this?" kinda thing.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
If you wanna poke on shields, use D-tilt, lesser lag and much safer.

Top Bottom