• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
What do you guys think of using side B to pressure shields when they're low?

I've only seen a few videos of stingers, Chibo, Tommy, and Ocean, and I've only seen Ocean use it. I always thought side B was kinda...worthless.
side B is a good move and is MAJORLY underrated
i've been using it more and more recently. il be posting my pound vids soon. i pretty much successfully used it in almost every set iv played recently, including gimping polt's yoshi with it at 0%, since sideB rips through yoshi's double jump and keeps going to stop him from saving himself with upB. if yoshi doesnt air dodge through the sideB he's dead from it at any percent off stage

What's Rob's strongest throw?
dthrow does the most damage
uthrow does the most knockback
fthrow and bthrow are practically the same just opposite direction. they have an ok angle of kb which is good for getting opponents away from you and off stage, and at highish percents it can kill if your opponent doesn't DI it. if it is DI'd, it won't really kill for a long long time (longer than uthrow). however what's great about it is that fthrow and bthrow are practically instantaneous, coupled with how insanely fast rob's dash grab is, a dash grab to instant fthrow/bthrow is like need-to-do-a-double-take fast. so unless your opponent is already holding up most of the time (though most good players do), then you can get that side kill with it.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Doesn't every throw R.O.B. has do 10 %, refreshment bonus 11 %?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
side B is a good move and is MAJORLY underrated
i've been using it more and more recently. il be posting my pound vids soon. i pretty much successfully used it in almost every set iv played recently, including gimping polt's yoshi with it at 0%, since sideB rips through yoshi's double jump and keeps going to stop him from saving himself with upB. if yoshi doesnt air dodge through the sideB he's dead from it at any percent off stage
This is VERY good to know, Chibo--I'm probably gonna be CPing R.O.B. against Yoshi. I was using Lucario for a while, but he's honestly way too boring for me. Did you record your set with Polt?

Another question, fellas: So I dig dthrow > upair, but people learn to airdodge the upair, so I've been using nair as a followup, and it's been going through airdodges. Is nair guaranteed to go through airdodges, or have I just been stupid lucky?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
you've been lucky, but not stupid lucky though it happens a lot

air dodge can dodge all of nair, it just has to be timed right, more like predicting it

even still, you wanna be focusing on that uair, it's robs best move for dealing damage (doing 26% max iirc with all hits, and about 22 or so on average), and it also stays out for a bit of time. also if the opponent tries to attack you instead of airdodging, chances are itl break through your nair but not your uair. if you start to read your opponents airdodging habits then you can just not start it right away but wait a lil, or even use the uair on your way down from the jump (using the jump up as a bait for an air dodge) and as you land you can hit with a utilt most of the time to put em right back in the same position

unfort polt was not recorded, im rly sad about it. the wii had the inf replays code on, but the wii memory was full and i couldnt find an sd card anywhere. i left mine in my bookbag, i thought it was in my wallet.

i used to think yoshi did pretty good vs rob (like evenish) but honestly i havnt played much yoshi since pride in NJ 2 years ago n stuff, a lots changed since then lol. polts also the best yoshi afaik, and even without a lot of knowledge in the matchup, i was able to just pretty much beat most of yoshi's anything on the fly, it felt like i had all the tools i needed to win pretty solidly. i didnt even know about the side b gimp thing, its just that i was on a side b high from this tourney using it constantly lmao, and i killed fino almost the exact same way in the previous match, so i kept using it and figured it would break through his side b, and it did, and it stopped his upB attempts to save himself. when i tried it later in the match he could double jump air dodge through it, but it's whatever, no gain no loss rly. if he missed that air dodge tho he's dead lol

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Orrr, you can research it yourself. No offense, but we're not just gonna tell you our character's weaknesses just because you ask. Find it out yourself, I'm sure it's somewhere on these boards.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Metaknight/every stage that the MK picks

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
In regards to Dthrow > Uair: When I know or think the opponent is going to airdodge, why not just wait then Uair? The reward is much greater in terms of percent than Nair.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Zwarm be nicer man

@Yeldar, your question doesn't really mean anything. Just our worst matchup and stage? The stage changes with the matchup. And only one worst thing whatever? Not really worth it imo. There is also the difference in experience in playing said characters, etc

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ROBs worst stage is not delfino lmao. its cruise. against MK anyway but does any other MU matter?

and wtf @ sideB beating yoshis double jump. do you have to land the first hit or is it any of the hits

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Delfino's probably his worst stage overall MU wise, but yeah Rainbow is worst against MK, not to say Delfino is much better though.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ROBs worst stage is not delfino lmao. its cruise. against MK anyway but does any other MU matter?

and wtf @ sideB beating yoshis double jump. do you have to land the first hit or is it any of the hits
is the first hit any different from the rest? i forget
im inclined to say that it's any of them

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i dunno he lurches forward for the first hit. I know the last hit has more KB then the rest though

and delfino isnt bad for ROB at all wtf. why do you guys think this im curious

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Idk, I just feel like every character in the game is just... better than ROB on that stage. I'm very comfortable on it because I played D3 for so long, but I still feel like I get outplayed whenever I go ROB there. Nothing on the transformations really help him, some even hurt him, like the pillars with water below and the low ceiling. The main part is hard to camp on because it's so small, but it still allows people to get away from us by using the platforms. Just in general, I feel like ROB is the worst character to use on Delfino, because he has like, no special tricks anywhere, really, where most characters do.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
lol so your logic is that you arent good enough to beat people there with ROB >.> i see

The part with the water everywhere with the pillars doesnt hurt ROB at all its soo easy to camp there and nair kills mad early off the top. Also we have a spike for water spikes...too good.

The main platform is really good wtf. did you just call it small? lmao its not small at all do you even know what stage your talking about...not to mention you can shark there and it's a lot bigger than halberd (now thats small) which is the only other stage u can really shark (lets ignore brinstar sharking for obv. reasons lol). and not only does the sharking help offense it also gives us an incredible mixup for getting back onstage which ROB has major trouble with usually.
the main stage platforms help ROB land tip uairs and nairs on the tall transforms, and help us get usmashes on the short transforms. and even on the short transforms we still have uair pressure.

except for the obv exception (ddd), the wall transforms help ROB a lot because it makes it 50x easier to get a gyro out. also camping behind walls is fun and we can stop people that try to camp us behind walls with gyro.

the water transforms help us recover against dumb chars like MK and marth because we can water camp until the platform comes back up. and its not even dangerous really, they are too slow to get us unless we're super close to the stage which is dumb.

tldr: delfino *****. for anecdotal evidence its the stage I took a game off adhd at raleigh (then he destroyed me the next 2 >.>).

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I guess so. I just always seem to get screwed over by the janky blastzones as the stage changes as ROB, so I guess I just avoid the stage. I also seem to fight Marth there a lot, and he ***** at Delfino, so I think I just have a streak of bad luck at Delfino as ROB. :p I still feel like it's one of his worst stages, regardless.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I really hate Brinstar, but thats about it. Then again, I've never really taken any time to learn the stage.

Would anyone else agree that BF might possibly be our best starter? I'm really comfortable there provided I'm not playing against like, Marth or GW.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I really like BF too, and yes, it can be our best starter. Not sure, but I feel so comfortable there.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i think lylat's the worst overall but yoshis is the worst in some matchups (MK x.x)

FDs not the best lol we get juggled mad hard there.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Never bring DK to Yoshi's either, trust me. :O Lylat sucks, but at least we don't get Lylat'd like most characters. Not being able to pick up ROB's gyro gets annoying after a while though.

I never find myself getting juggled on FD. Do you B-reverse gyro cancel and B-reverse up B when coming down to the stage? It helps a ton. I just hate coming down on platforms, because ROB is so vulnerable when he's on platforms.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
first off you can always pick up the gyro on yoshis with a dash attack but if you don't want to risk it you just have to get "under" the gyro to jab pick it up.

and yes I b reverse gyro cancel lol. it's a mixup in the same vein as bairing or going for the ledge but you act like it's guaranteed to get us to the ground lol. they read the gyro cancel and it's back to step one

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I don't have a problem getting the gyro on Yoshi's, I just hate the stage. It's design does nothing to help ROB, all it really does is save people after ROB gimps them because of the ghosts. Plus against characters that control center stage well, it's impossible to get in on them, and they can run out and stop our camping easily.

I never said it was a guarantee, but it definitely helps. Mix it up! Sometimes using B-reverse up B throws people off enough that you can safely land, sometimes even without a BRGC. The only time I think it might be impossible to come down on FD would be against Marth, because it's already stupidly hard to land on the stage against him, and he's fast enough to catch up with our aerial B-reverse BS. :p

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i disagree that it does nothing to help us. its a lot harder for other chars to pick up the gyro cuz they can't really get close enough to pick it up safely so if they want to get rid of it they have to fall on it or shield it which we can punish. also, the variable platform height helps us get silly uair/usmash shenanigans off which are the 2 best moves we have when they land lol. its not hard to get in against someone camping the center just shoot a gyro same as always to force a reaction then act accordingly

marth isnt the biggest problem on FD, MK is. I hate fighting MKs that know what to do against a falling ROB on FD now. because he can cover all of our options by just staying on the ground and waiting for us to fall. it's ******** lol.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Yeah, I guess that's true. I like to overlook the positives of ROB whenever I think of stages, I usually only think of the bad things. :p Why do you think BF is our best? Tell me what you do to make the stage work for you so well. I personally don't like going there as ROB, but I'd like to improve on there.

MK is a problem anywhere, but yeah, I wouldn't want to bring him to FD if I had the choice. I usually bring MK's to Pictochat now. <3 Pictochat.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
BF is definitely the best. I CP BF 95% of the time I don't get it round 1 personally lol
Explain further please:

Which MU do you favor/don't favor BF?

What makes this stage good for ROB?

How can we abuse this stage?

Which areas do we need to control?

What do we want to not do on this stage?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well I like it because we control the platforms soooo well. SH FF Bair (approaching or running away) both control space so well because the hitbox covers both their feet on the platform for shieldpokes and people that try to fall though and people that try to run off. Also angled up Fsmash is great for shield pokes/snipes when their shield drops if you dont have time/aren't in the right position for a bair to work. On the top platform we have SH uair and the tips of our arms reach the bottom of the platform which can poke people there and it also autocancels so we can do it again to keep harassment up, it pretty much stops people from falling through altogether and then we can chase them when they try to get down some other way.

also platforms help our camping game a lot because when we camp with lasers/gyros underneath of them, coupled with ftilt and pivot grab and angled up fsmash it can be really hard for some chars to get in.

just don't get caught on a platform and youre fine really. and even if you do you have safe options to get down (if the other person is on the platform with you) such as dropthrough uair or dropthrough bair. if their below you when you're on the platform...well you're ****ed but that situation is the same for 99% of the cast lol. just dont get caught. the positives outweigh the negatives there.

also the stage has just great dimensions for ROB killing imo, nairs seem to kill earlier here.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Isn't the "celing" just about the same height on every starter (except PS - including LC)?

Top Bottom