• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What is your opinion about Rob's dair? I never ever use it in serious matches, unless my opponent is like DK to give me a way to kill him before +200%.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
oh, my bad sudai, that wasnt really decent anyway XD
r.o.b dair, its only use is if you can read the slow recovey move's
so imo it works offstage on:
fox
falco
wolf (up-b's only for these 3)
ness
lucas
snake
d3

but for anytime, only on dk or anyone else with a rubbish vertical recovery. if there recovery is generally bad, you might as well f-air them

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
what does (Y) mean anyway?
Thumbs up. If you type it on MSN, you will se a thumb up. It stands for the first letter Yes, and thumbs down is (N), No.

R.O.B.'s Dair is much more useful than what you've said, you can spike almost all characters, I do it. It even works for edgeguarding and many other things. R.O.B.'s Dair is underrated.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
You should watch tommy play GP, he Dairs more than I Nair lol. And I've seen him setup Dair with two Fairs, although I haven't been able to steal that yet.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
dair is pretty good. i use it as a lagless spike offstage (though that rarely works lol) and to set up tech chases when I'm falling

Heartstring

Smash Legend
if i can d-air, i have a better chance of fairing, which leads to a stupidly easy edgeguard attempt.
my logic anyway

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I just think Dair is too slow to work, if you use it onstage and your foe doesn't tech, you are still in your lag while the opponent is rolling. Also, I think the biggest problem is that this move is very outclassed by better moves like Fair. Many noob Robs tend to use this every **** time they are above their opponents. Also remember this move is one of the reasons Rob is so easy to juggle, so obviously it isn't very good. Also, it's **** hard to spike Falco, I can only do that on Fire Falco, but that is better off being edgehogged.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
depends. they misspace an aerial? shieldgrab, always. thats rare though...

did they fall on your shield and land behind you? dsmash

you shield for no reason and are afraid to move because they can cover everything with tornado? pull a mikehaze and scream at the top of your lungs

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
The message above mine is full of absolute win.

Also, if they use a laggy aerial, you can punish with fsmash, and if they land behind, you could also turn-around grab.
My personal favorite option OoS if i am holding a Gyro, is to glide toss down toward the opponent if they are close to me, then follow up with a usmash during the slide. The gyro knocks them in the perfect trajectory for a usmash and makes such a sexy kill-combo.

BrainShue

Smash Rookie
depends. they misspace an aerial? shieldgrab, always. thats rare though...

did they fall on your shield and land behind you? dsmash

you shield for no reason and are afraid to move because they can cover everything with tornado? pull a mikehaze and scream at the top of your lungs
The message above mine is full of absolute win.

Also, if they use a laggy aerial, you can punish with fsmash, and if they land behind, you could also turn-around grab.
My personal favorite option OoS if i am holding a Gyro, is to glide toss down toward the opponent if they are close to me, then follow up with a usmash during the slide. The gyro knocks them in the perfect trajectory for a usmash and makes such a sexy kill-combo.
Thank you for the help!

Bees!

Smash Ace
How do I break through tornado when MK approaches high? Its too high up for an angled up fsmash, laser or nAir? I don't know what to do. Its like he approaches just above head level for ROB. It eats my shield and I cant punish it.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
How do I break through tornado when MK approaches high? Its too high up for an angled up fsmash, laser or nAir? I don't know what to do. Its like he approaches just above head level for ROB. It eats my shield and I cant punish it.
I've been trying out walking u-tilts lately. I have't had a lot of practice with it though. Because MKs who can zone us really well in our blindspots are the ones that shut us down the most. This scenario does need to be given more thought.

What are some good OoS options for rob?
What about jab > jab2/grab/f-smash or something? Haven't tried jab too much OoS myself, that has also been on my mind a lot lately too.

Bees!

Smash Ace
What are some good OoS options for rob?
In addition to what Mister Eric said I find jumping OoS into SH fAirs to be fairly affective especially if you retreat with it. As the fAir hitbox on the end of the clamps lasts deceptively long and is disjointed. Just be careful that you don't do this everytime though.

I've been trying out walking u-tilts lately. I have't had a lot of practice with it though. Because MKs who can zone us really well in our blindspots are the ones that shut us down the most. This scenario does need to be given more thought.
That. Generally when playing againsts MKs they always are right in the blindspot. I can't punish it with an Fsmash because its angle. And laser its the same story. And usually it shield pokes me before I can get my shield up then it pops me into the air. Its just hard when MKs do that. I really don't have too much problems with shuttle loops and the likes and punish those well. I just need to figure out a way around this. With the help of my fellow brobots of course ^_^

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
This is perhaps my third question about this, but can anyone show me R.O.B.'s blindspots please? Don't explain in words, use a pitcure. "One picture describes more than thousand words."

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
What good is ROB's forward B for really?
I find that it is pretty useful whenever a character with a somewhat bad recovery is hanging onto the ledge. If you side-b while staying grounded, it can put up an okay defense against your opponent. Especially if they decided to jump back onto the stage, you might just steal their jump and end up getting a gimp.

If done off the stage, it can really fudge up their recovery or even end up as a stage spike. Side-b even eats through Olimar's whistle.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
You can jump off of the stage with forward B to mess up their recovery, only if they are recovering low though. If it doesnt mess them up immediately, try to get in a forward A or neutral A. whether you get the ko or not theres plenty of time to up B back onto the ledge and guard it, on FD anyway.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
This is perhaps my third question about this, but can anyone show me R.O.B.'s blindspots please? Don't explain in words, use a pitcure. "One picture describes more than thousand words."
Anyone? It's very important for the people who wonder (including me) really. =/

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
@Omega

You did good, only thing major is, NEEDS MOAR DOWN SMASH. I dont know why the people on this board neglect ROBs down smash so much. From my experience it is by far is most versatile, most spammable, quickest, least punishable attack in his arsenal.
Anyway, something i noticed at 0:33 and 0:56 in the first video. You down smashed, he shielded for a split second to block it, then you stopped. If you had down smashed again, it would have certainly hit him. When i down smash, i do one of three things based on what they do.
1. If they DI towards you, down smash again.
2. If they shield it/spot dodge it, down smash again
3. If they DI away from you, forward B tilted down. Should be enough to make it through their shield/spot dodge if they do it. Then, immediately down smash again.
REPEAT as needed until they run away and try a new approach.

ALWAYS FOLLOW UP DOWN SMASH WITH ANOTHER DOWN SMASH. It will eat though anything they do unless they just shield the entire thing, which leaves them open to grab as soon as your animation is over. Actually, you didnt even grab once in the entire video did you?

Also, at 1:05 you could have down smashed twice. You forward smashed, he shielded for a split second, only enough to block the attack, then grabbed you.
At 1:16, you stood there shielding when you could have down smashed.
At 1:27-1:31, you should have down smashed constantly throughout that entire 4 seconds.
All good until 3:16, should have down smashed twice, instead of once and spot dodging.
The rest is good then. From my experience, Lucario beats ROB 80% of the time. You did good regardless. Dont take what i said as negative feedback, as you really did good for the most part.

You actually play very simliar to the way I do. I just spam down smash A LOT more often than anyone else i have seen. Which reminds me, I really need to get a decent video camera to record some stuff
: /

ill watch the second video later and tell you what i think of it.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Overswarm, id like some critique on my videos, tell me what i do wrong etc. anyone else answer too. Thanks for seeing them and hope to hear from you all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpuSplfmjoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbXyM4gdRQ0&feature=related
Hello! This is the Question & Answer thread. The video one is stuck. However, that's not still the right thread to post videos when you want to be critiqued. The right one is listed in the OP though. Click here because it is more likely to be critiqued if you post there.

Top Bottom