• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I can DI stuff on reaction anyways. And getting jump released isn't bad for Rob isn't it? Also, I just like to have my tapjump on. Just like I shield from L, unlike most of you do it from R. It doesn't matter. When you get used to it, there are no real benefits or losses. Just simpler or more complex inputs, but everything is possible with or without tapjump. So can we just wait for the real questions and not argue about my controls?
I don't get how people can use R to shield, I've been playing since 64, and the shield button was always Z, which is my left hand, so I'm used to shielding with L using my left hand. I have R set to attack for easier smashes while in grabs with Ice Climbers.

So basically, you're not alone.

Sudai

Stuff here
I never grabbed in 64 because R felt like it should have been a shield button to me (somehow I remember that from when I was 8). I still 'Z-Cancel' with R in 64 and I refuse to play 64 unless it's on a Wii now days so I can use my GC controller still. If it's smash, I demand a GC controller. lul

Yeah, GCC pretty much own every other controllers in terms of popularity and efficiency. To me, the 64 controllers were really awkward, with the analog stick smack dab in the friggin center of the thing, with a handle inhibiting you from holding it well. And Z was just awful.

Wiimotes are prefered by some because it feels like a 64, and that's what they were used to, but you can't do retreating, up, or down glidetosses with it. Or dashdance very well. Or foxtrot. Or boost smash. Or a whole lot of other techs. But if you have the Nunchuck added on, I guess it makes things a bit better.

These are all just my personal opinions, based off of what I've gotten out of playing with these controllers. GCC just seems better fit for high levels of play.

Sudai

Stuff here
I agree 100%. I think I can actually make it a bit more colorful. Let me give that a try. :o

Edit: Bah, not really more colorful, but that's the most I can do to the title. x.x

Sudai

Stuff here
I've never used FSmash to beat a grounded shuttle loop. That bish has invincibility. As for glide attack, you can't beat it. You just have to hit MK before he uses it I think,

TheMike

Smash Lord
I alwyas use Bair to "tie" MK's Glide Attack(ROB facing the opposite direction obviously). Fair works as well.

TheMike

Smash Lord
It is among the ones that don't have trascendent priority. I'm not sure if it is the lowest though.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
that's because the hitbox is basically on his body, and it has transcendent priority like the rest of his attacks, so any time you touch that hitbox with any of your hitboxes the game considers shuttle loop not really being there (basically that's how the game treats all of mks moves except glide/dash attack and tornado iirc) and you just hit the mk

Tin Man

Smash Hero

Silhouette

Smash Lord
but u said u used it when the up-b was done. is it still the same concept?
Yeah same concept, since ROBs Up B isn't like other characters and it can never put him in a free fall animation he can jump or anything once his fuel has been depleted, other characters that don't enter the free fall animation are: Snake, Sonic, G&W, and Jiggs. All of witch you can grab release them after their Up-B (but don't pummel them) and watch them fall to their death (except ROB and Jiggs).

but ROB is probably the only character that can jump after using his Up-B.

dayum, that's new to me
Heh, platform sticking is one of my favorites, I'm just waiting to use it in a nasty combo and record it.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Characters with no helpless (total 6):

R.O.B..
Sonic.
Snake.
Mr. Game & Watch.
Zero Suit Samus.
Jigglypuff.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
Cool. and this platform sticking thing can someone teach me or explain to me please.

IM GETTING DESPERATE! WHO PLAYS BRAWL IN SOUTH FLORIDAA!??!?!!?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Yeah same concept, since ROBs Up B isn't like other characters and it can never put him in a free fall animation he can jump or anything once his fuel has been depleted, other characters that don't enter the free fall animation are: Snake, Sonic, G&W, and Jiggs. All of witch you can grab release them after their Up-B (but don't pummel them) and watch them fall to their death (except ROB and Jiggs).

but ROB is probably the only character that can jump after using his Up-B.

Heh, platform sticking is one of my favorites, I'm just waiting to use it in a nasty combo and record it.
Snake can come back

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Pit can jump after using his up-b on the ground and attacking. I wonder if Jiggs can jump if she starts sing hi enough q.q
I forgot about that, Pits so underplayed I didn't think about him lol.

Characters with no helpless (total 8):

R.O.B..
Sonic.
Snake.
Mr. Game & Watch.
Zero Suit Samus.
Kirby.
Ike.
Jigglypuff.

"Yoshi?" you say. No, because Yoshi gets in a helpless situation when he does the egg roll.
nice work ccst, though the off stage grab release is impractical against ZSS, Jigglypuff, Kirby, and Ike.

Snake can come back
In some situations yes, but if his C4 is onstage, or if his cypher hits you when you grab him he can't recover.

Cool. and this platform sticking thing can someone teach me or explain to me please.

IM GETTING DESPERATE! WHO PLAYS BRAWL IN SOUTH FLORIDAA!??!?!!?
While passing upward through a moving platform, tap down the moment the bottom of your feet are inside the platform. It can be done with any down input (easiest example being down B, but the most practical is to just press Down by itself), and you have to FLICK the stick down VERY FAST or you wont stick (That means the down input can only last for a moment and your stick must return to the neutral position as quickly as possible).

*This can be done with every character but ROB is one of the easiest to do it with due to his large base size.

*Platform Sticking is lagless, so once you're momentum has canceled you can perform any grounded attack or ability.

It can be performed on any moving platform, including:
  • Smashville
  • Lylat
  • Yoshis Island
  • Delfino (while the stage is changing)
  • Halberd (while the stage is changing)
  • etc..

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Ike goes into helpless after a Quick Draw. G&W might go into helpless if he breaks his parachute with an attack but maybe not.

Top Bottom