• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

I keep tap jump on. It's really not that hard to UTilt, and DACUS isn't a part of my playstyle anyhow.

I'm pretty sure Bair's hitbox is split in two boxes, one on ROB's base and the flames, and a smaller one on his head. How are you missing it? The back? Hitboxes aren't always mapped to the entirety of a graphical effect. I could be wrong about the hitboxes though.

Then it could be what I said. The hitbubble most likely isn't mapped to the whole geraphical effect, and because of the bubble's shape, it probably can't overlap into the topmost bits of the flames. Is that what's happening? They other guy connects with the top part of the fire and they don't suffer damage/knockback?

You can also look in Jumpman's community guide, he has images of ROB's hitbubbles.

Edit: Yeah, I was wrong about the head hitbubble.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii50/mapler227/al_091112_21171.jpg

Bair is actually comprised of THREE hitbubbles, and there's a tiny gap between the biggest hitbubble and the center one that's probably the cause of your woes.

Yep. That it is. Because of the momentum boost you get from Bair, even though the hitbox is in his waist/neck/shoulders area thingy, by the time it connects and the fire and damage/KB are dealt, the head has already hit first, and because of the small space between the hitbox and the head, I'm guessing that's what causes the visual misconception.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Lol ccst, you don't know what is tapjump and you play melee?
Also, I main Rob and I play with tap jump on. Never have any problems with utilt or so on. There are no negative effects on tapjump, only positive.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Tilt up while pressing B much? And also, why the hell would I want to upB before using my double jump anyways?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You don't have time to do that Ahvena. I use tap jump and I've grown accustomed to just dealing with the fact that I always have to go in this order: Double Jump > Up B.

Sure, if you have plenty of room you can slowly inch up your analog stick and do it, but often when recovering you don't have time.

Sudai

Stuff here
I like to use my gas before my double jump since double jump is much safer.

Still, there's never a need to JC anything with ROB so why have tap jump on unless you jump with the stick? (which I don't in Brawl)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just because I play melee and 64 too. Makes stuff easier and tap jump doesn't give me trouble. Also, Gwjumpman, it takes less time to slightly push up instead of mashing it up, it just depends on what you are used to.

You can either do what Ahvena said and tilt recover, or you can do what I like to do and just hold the analog stick up from my first jump. It's a helluva lot easier and safer. I mean, for me it is. And having tap jump on really helps with Broverse!ed grounded UpBs. They come in handy for mindgame tricksies.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I've heard about the boost Side-B can give you after a jump, but I can't seem to do it.

It is like Fox's FAir which requires immediate input after the jump?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Pretty much. Also note it's not that big, so you might not notice it unless you are purposely looking out for it. What it does more of is extending your time in the air, you seem float because of it.

It's kinda sorta like the boost you get when you use an aerial at the end of your double jump animation in Melee (if you play Melee/remember that). It's not much, but sometimes it can give you the leg up. Roflcopter can do this too, but it's just flat out not worth it.

Seriously.

Don't do it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Play as rob.

Seriously though, work on laser accuracy, gyro mobility, and just getting a feel for rob

Play ROB dittoes with stingers and GwJ and get wrecked.

Or get heartbreak, son.

...But really, just focus on getting the feel for your projectiles, knowing when to use laser and which one, getting familiar with gyro **** distances, and avoid pressing B while the control stick is tilted to the left or right. Also, know your KO moves, which are primarily Nair, Bair(sort of), B/FThrow, and DSmash.

Edit meant to write out "shot", but I'll leave it like that.

Wrong "forth", Sudai. ;D

Because that's not the only reason why people who have tap jump on have it so. I have it on to make aerial movement easier. I just don't feel using X or Y to jump then using the control stick to move would be good for my playstyle. I just keep it conservative and use analog to jump and C-Stick to aerial.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Tilt up while pressing B much? And also, why the hell would I want to upB before using my double jump anyways?
I agree with Sudai completely on this one, and trust me, saving your second jump and just using UpB to recover has tons of uses. I've literally been edgehogged and run out of fuel to be gimped but had saved my 2nd jump the entire time and surprised them with it and recovered. Its actually very key to save your second jump with most characters, ROB has a lucky break with his UpB being so good.

Just because I play melee and 64 too. Makes stuff easier and tap jump doesn't give me trouble. Also, Gwjumpman, it takes less time to slightly push up instead of mashing it up, it just depends on what you are used to.

Technically having tap jump on limits more options, like being unable to DI upward in specific situations without spending your jump.

& it would take more time to tilt it up than slam it to the top of the controller, since you have a blockaid you don't have to worry about muscle reaction to slow you down.

You can either do what Ahvena said and tilt recover, or you can do what I like to do and just hold the analog stick up from my first jump. It's a helluva lot easier and safer. I mean, for me it is. And having tap jump on really helps with Broverse!ed grounded UpBs. They come in handy for mindgame tricksies.

You can easily grounded B-reverse your Up-B with Tap off, its really no different.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Again, there is no negative effect on tap jump, it is a matter of preference. If you say that tilting is harder than pressing, it is just because you have learned to do it that way. I never mess up an utilt, uair is a lot easier to input and you can still DI up because you cannot jump during hitstun lol xD

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Again, there is no negative effect on tap jump, it is a matter of preference. If you say that tilting is harder than pressing, it is just because you have learned to do it that way. I never mess up an utilt, uair is a lot easier to input and you can still DI up because you cannot jump during hitstun lol xD
How is Uair easier to input? I just c-stick it anyways.

I play melee too son, and preping a Utilt is tougher than preping it with tap off. Not saying its specifically difficult, but its much harder to mess it up with Tap off.

Also: with tap off you can rotate your joystick while grabbed/In DDDs B attack and not get forced to air release. Rotating the joystick is one of the fastest ways for numerous inputs and will help you break out faster. You can also buffer sh*t while in MK's nado.

Actually, they best way to DI is to do it right when you get hit, but you have to anticipate it. SDI is ballin' out of controll.
Wouldn't the best DI be both?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I can DI stuff on reaction anyways. And getting jump released isn't bad for Rob isn't it? Also, I just like to have my tapjump on. Just like I shield from L, unlike most of you do it from R. It doesn't matter. When you get used to it, there are no real benefits or losses. Just simpler or more complex inputs, but everything is possible with or without tapjump. So can we just wait for the real questions and not argue about my controls?

Sudai

Stuff here
I didn't intend to argue anything, I was just stating why my preference is my preference. :p

As for the air release thing, I much prefer to be ground released simply cause being above some one = suck for ROB.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yeah its cool, I wasn't arguing that Tap Jump ON is bad, you can do the same stuff with both and it truly just relies on preference. I was pointing out the differences and when things are easier/harder with each, and shooting down any false arguments or misconceptions.

^^edit: and yeah being in the air is bad for ROB. Ground releasing is usually better.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Since we're on the topic of tap jump, does anyone else ONLY tap jump? I think I can do some sillier things that don't really matter, but I'm changing my control scheme to no tap jump. Flick jump ftw

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yeah its cool, I wasn't arguing that Tap Jump ON is bad, you can do the same stuff with both and it truly just relies on preference. I was pointing out the differences and when things are easier/harder with each, and shooting down any false arguments or misconceptions.

^^edit: and yeah being in the air is bad for ROB. Ground releasing is usually better.
I'm always in the air as ROB and I do perfectly fine.

I just stay in the air offstage. :p

Top Bottom