• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ROB doesnt have the mobility or coverage underneath of him to do that, no

well, unless theres no LGL. rob's planking ***** and ics anti-planking is terrible.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
How do people feel about the G&W MU? I feel like the idea that we get wrecked by G&W is outdated, we can actually beat his aerials if we outspace them with Ftilt/fmash or counter from above with Fair/Nairs. I've beaten the G&Ws of our region but I feel like I don't know the MU that well... so what do people think?

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Even when I'm told how the handle the mu, I still find it very gay for rob. Or its probably just me having a weakness to g&w or something. Well I remember Chibo saying somewhere that G&w shouldnt be no near as bad as the 2008 mu.

I cant usually beat him in the air, but that was back when I used to spam alot of N-air. Its been a while since I've played a proper G&W, so hopefully i can handle it better than last time.

Also does anyone mind giving me some tips on the Sonic and Kirby matchups? I usually can beat sonic fine, but I'm always getting shield poked by the spin dash > areal crap. And kirby just makes me rage because I'm soo bad =<

sneakytako

Smash Lord
In the kirby MU the biggest thing is to DI up and away at low %s. Kirby has a lot of combo's with up-tilt, Up-air, and throws. The best thing you can do is to DI away and punish with a quick Fair when they over extend. They like to Dair your shield from above, try to not put yourself in the situation where he is above you shielding. They can follow up Dair with a grab/Fsmash, best jump or roll away. I don't like to challenge his Bair against my Fair, I'd rather try and space Fsmashes. He has a lot of things that can KO us, be real careful not to eat a aerial hammer when approaching him in the air with Fair. Try to gimp his recovery, once you steal his jumps his Up-B is punishable with Bair/Dair if you can read it. For stages I would avoid BF -ish stages, but I don't think he likes uneven ground so yoshi's/lylat could be an option. FD/smashfield would be my preferred starters. For CP I would take him to halberd or FD, halberd he dies really early to Nairs/Dsmashes in comparison to other stages. Ban brinstar, Kirby is a beast on Brinstar. Oh yeah and avoid swallowsuides lol.

As for the sonic MU, this I'm a scrub at lol.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Alright thanks for the advice Sneaky =). I'll try remember some of those points.

@Tin Man, I was only asking because I have a tournament next weekend and could run into a kirby player I've lost to in tournaments twice. Don't want to loose this time, and those matchups wont probably be discussed for a long while and I needed to know now.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
How do people feel about the G&W MU? I feel like the idea that we get wrecked by G&W is outdated, we can actually beat his aerials if we outspace them with Ftilt/fmash or counter from above with Fair/Nairs. I've beaten the G&Ws of our region but I feel like I don't know the MU that well... so what do people think?
I have played the G&W MU many times, and I have to say... I hate that MU, especially when you get killed at 80 %. It's definitely in G&W's favour; I would say 35:65 (I know many disagree and say it's 40:60) R.O.B..

-LzR-

Smash Hero
ccst, G&W doesn't kill you at 80% duh! It's like Snakes don't kill you at 30% with their fsmash.
I you really know the MU and you are careful, you shouldn't get hit by his smashes since all can be dodged on reaction. Also, we can beat all his aerial options with ftilt so he has to be grounded more in this MU.
Just DO NOT GET GRABBED. That may lead to an early kill or even worse, a kill at 10% with 9.

Yet so far I have beaten every G&W with my Rob. Just don't camp with laser. Also don't try the duckhunt, he will absorb it with bucket brake.

Not so hard is it ccst?

Tin Man

Smash Hero
ccst, G&W doesn't kill you at 80% duh! It's like Snakes don't kill you at 30% with their fsmash.
I you really know the MU and you are careful, you shouldn't get hit by his smashes since all can be dodged on reaction. Also, we can beat all his aerial options with ftilt so he has to be grounded more in this MU.
Just DO NOT GET GRABBED. That may lead to an early kill or even worse, a kill at 10% with 9.

Yet so far I have beaten every G&W with my Rob. Just don't camp with laser. Also don't try the duckhunt, he will absorb it with bucket brake.

Not so hard is it ccst?
Whats the duckhunt, and does Ftilt out space or out prioritize the aerials of G&W (like Fair & Bair)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Is this a smart way to survive longer?

Fair --> Fastfall --> Side B
instead of
Fair --> Fair --> Fair (while fastfalling)?

Or is there another way to survive longer?

TheMike

Smash Lord
Fair to Fast Fall to Side B helps you live 1% longer than without the Side B if I'm not mistaken(somebody told me so).

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
So the best way to survive is actually Airdodge --> Side B?
Not Fair --> Fair --> Side B or anything else?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
So one Fair, then the Side B (not pressing the B-button more or just once)? So this method is the best because you live the longest, and is much better than other options?

Because here it says that an Air Dodge is "better" or how it is... I'm really confused. =S

http://www.geocities.jp/kuso_dwi_lovers/list.html

Tin Man

Smash Hero
well that is the best method, i just completely ignore it tho xD. When dying off the side, Fair the Djump, if ur going towards the top, Bair (while fast falling). Iunno why Bair is the best, I have just heard of it b4. I still Fastfall Fair tho when I go off the top.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Whats the duckhunt, and does Ftilt out space or out prioritize the aerials of G&W (like Fair & Bair)
Duckhunt is shooting a laser when opponent is near the blastzone to interrupt his momentum cancel and kill him. G&W cancels with bucket, so it's not smart to do it.
And yes, ftilt beats bair and fair.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
What do you guys think about boost pivot grabbing for R.O.B.? I think he can do it, I just don't think he gets much or anything out of it. But mayhaps I'm performing it incorrectly. If it helps out in the least bit, I definitely don't mind comitting it to muscle memory and doing it instead of a normal pivot grab.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think it's when you dash attack cancel into a pivot grab. Falco loves it, but Rob doesn't get any boost from DAC so I doubt it works.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Well I know he cancels it okay, I just didn't know if there was a frame of difference. It's hard for me to judge. It's like comparing R.O.B.'s hyphen smash with his DACUS. But you see, it's pretty easy to perform this so I don't mind to put it into muscle memory if it helps any at all. Who knows, maybe a pinch of distance could make a difference.

To perform just begin a dash, then do a dash attack, as soon as you input the dash attack, do a pivot grab (slam the stick in the opposite direction and press grab at the same time).

If you want to see this better on R.O.B., cause it's hard to tell you're even doing it, just go to training mode at 1/4 speed, and watch it then. In slow mo, R.O.B. is all like "I'm gonna hugs you!" then immediately after, "psych!" XD

Top Bottom