• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Why is my color name pink? I want a lime green instead. D=

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
you cant hyphen smash a usmash, since usmash can be done out of a dash anyway the hyphen canceling or w.e of it kind of makes no sense, only for fsmash, also, dacus has a pretty noticeably difference than running usmash imo, also since u get to charge it a lil bit

whenever i pivot grab with rob now its always a boost pivot grab. when i picked up olimar for fun i learned how to boost pivot grab and its really easy. i also found that when i try to regular pivot grab, something tends to mess up a lot of the time with buffering or something idk and i wont pivot grab correctly, however whenever i go for the boost pivot i always get it nearly 100% of the time. im not sure if the grab hitbox is really extended or anything or rob moves further while doing it, but i think it might be a slight difference

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
you cant hyphen smash a usmash, since usmash can be done out of a dash anyway the hyphen canceling or w.e of it kind of makes no sense, only for fsmash, also, dacus has a pretty noticeably difference than running usmash imo, also since u get to charge it a lil bit

whenever i pivot grab with rob now its always a boost pivot grab. when i picked up olimar for fun i learned how to boost pivot grab and its really easy. i also found that when i try to regular pivot grab, something tends to mess up a lot of the time with buffering or something idk and i wont pivot grab correctly, however whenever i go for the boost pivot i always get it nearly 100% of the time. im not sure if the grab hitbox is really extended or anything or rob moves further while doing it, but i think it might be a slight difference
lolz, im always gettin mah termz wrong. xD

Sharky

Smash Master
nah chibo's wrong here. hyphen smashing is just csticking an upsmash while dashing, I dunno why people still even use that term. He's possibly thinking of stutter stepping?

also the pink name is the result of someone pranking you

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
nah chibo's wrong here. hyphen smashing is just csticking an upsmash while dashing, I dunno why people still even use that term. He's possibly thinking of stutter stepping?

also the pink name is the result of someone pranking you
okie, i was thinking so. xD

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Okay, some questions... What is "stutter stepping" and can someone perhaps show me the boost pivot grab because I don't get it. Also what is "pranked" I don't get it either. I'm a fail I mean I've an error! xD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Stutter stepping is very useful. Just tap the control stick either left or right and instantly do an fsmash with the c-stick. You will move sort of like in SDI and then do fsmash. It's very good for spacing and it can do a sort of retreating fsmash. It's very useful for some characters.
Boost Pivot Grab is IIRC doing a Dash attack cancel and then doing a pivot grab. Don't bother with Rob as he gains no boost at all.

The prank thing is what premium members get twice a month. They can choose 2 members and change their names to pink and titles to "pranked!".

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
o i thought stutter stepping was hyphen smashing

then why the hell is it called hyphen smashing lol, its not anything. its just usmashing from running

if you want to get technical it's a jump canceled usmash but it's much easier in brawl than melee cause u can use the c stick so w/e, its just "usmashing" lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
hyphen smash sounds way better than stupid JC usmash.
It's like Glide Toss sounds better than roll canceled item throw

Sharky

Smash Master
hyphen smashing is just the c-stick thing. It was something someone came up with when the game came out so they could say they found an AT. >.<

Stutter stepping is just f-smashing out of the initial frames of the dash. This was initially written about in t0mmy's rob guide.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Stutter stepping is very useful. Just tap the control stick either left or right and instantly do an fsmash with the c-stick. You will move sort of like in SDI and then do fsmash. It's very good for spacing and it can do a sort of retreating fsmash. It's very useful for some characters.
Boost Pivot Grab is IIRC doing a Dash attack cancel and then doing a pivot grab. Don't bother with Rob as he gains no boost at all.

The prank thing is what premium members get twice a month. They can choose 2 members and change their names to pink and titles to "pranked!".
Okay, I could do the SS before I knew the name, LoL.
So I'm "pranked", haha. =P
To speech of that, who are "they"?

Silhouette

Smash Lord
o i thought stutter stepping was hyphen smashing

then why the hell is it called hyphen smashing lol, its not anything. its just usmashing from running

if you want to get technical it's a jump canceled usmash but it's much easier in brawl than melee cause u can use the c stick so w/e, its just "usmashing" lol
I thought it had something to do with Squirtle being one of the first characters we discovered sliding U-smashes with.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
beepos, my premmy is about to run out, how shall I cope? D:

XD

Mr.E

Smash Lord
It's called hyphen smashing because a hyphen is very similar, and often mistaken as identical, to a dash -- the punctuation marks, that is. (PROTIP: That's a double hyphen posing as a dash because I'm not about to open up the character map to find a proper dash.) English language, doods. And I'm not even sure how Squirtle and hyphens are supposed to be related...

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Can someone please send me the frame data on all R.O.B.'s moves and his hitboxes on his attacks (like the grab range)? Thank you so much!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'm a stickler for correct terms.

I hate the name for "Hyphen Smash" it's one of the ugliest things I'd like to go away permanently. I did my part to get rid of terms like "ink dropping" back in the pre-release days... (shudder).

Hyphen Smash is almost dead, thankfully.

The next term I'm focusing on will be "wave bouncing".

Also, I gave the name to a Stutter Step from a cardgame I played -- bonus points to whomever can guess which card game.
It fit well enough I just stuck it into my first draft of my guide and people started picking up on it. It wasn't anything fancy, but I like recording my observations even if they're not that important.

After Ch0zen (and I think Overswarm) kept flaming me for writing my guide I decided to take everything over to AiB because Smashboards just wasn't cool anymore.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I'm a stickler for correct terms.

I hate the name for "Hyphen Smash" it's one of the ugliest things I'd like to go away permanently. I did my part to get rid of terms like "ink dropping" back in the pre-release days... (shudder).

Hyphen Smash is almost dead, thankfully.

The next term I'm focusing on will be "wave bouncing".

Also, I gave the name to a Stutter Step from a cardgame I played -- bonus points to whomever can guess which card game.
It fit well enough I just stuck it into my first draft of my guide and people started picking up on it. It wasn't anything fancy, but I like recording my observations even if they're not that important.

After Ch0zen (and I think Overswarm) kept flaming me for writing my guide I decided to take everything over to AiB because Smashboards just wasn't cool anymore.
Are you at least trying to replace them with something? Hyphen smashing isnt even much of an AT, let alone have its own name like that. Its just a running Up smash lol.

but Wavebouncing needs a name, and since that name has even taken over B-reversals (which is a DIFFERENT THING lol), its an AT and I doubt it'd be easy to change the name.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Referring to t0mmy, if he doesn't like the word wavebounce, then tough luck man.

Also, my question is about sideB. I have recently experimented with it in friendlies, I played against a Donkey Kong. After I put some pressure on his shield, I tried to use sideB on his shield the next time. It was guaranteed to poke and at least DK's moves are easily interrupted if he tried OoS stuff. On other chars I had trouble pulling this off thought. Just asking, is this stupid or something?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Well if it works then it's always smart lol. But I can't imagine spamming side-B like MK can spam tornado.

I think Side-B has some interesting results in the diddy MU honestly...

T0MMY

Smash Master
Rev-B = changing a direction or facing with a B-button attack (Special Attack)... simply put it reverses your B-button.

RF = Reverse Facing, referring only to the reversing of the direction you face.
RM = Reverse momentum, referring to only the velocity change.

Examples:
"RF Laser" means you have changed your facing from one side to the other using your Robo Beam (Neutral Special Attack)

"RM Gyro" means you have changed the direction you are moving with your Gyro (either with its charge or the shot).

Most people just say the generic "Rev-B" for simplicity sake, the meaning will be in the context.

Nobody really uses the Rev-A term as it never comes up (Marth's B-Air is a Rev-A for example).

Kaoculus

Smash Cadet
so apparently...
san, best ike, lives 1 minute away from my dorm.
he tore me a new fcking ******* today. i only got him to like 90% before he completely obliterated all my stocks. WHAT DO I DO?

dtilt prevents me from planking too hard.
his aerials have super long reach.
omfg jab lock
he abuses his nair so i can't really spotdodge.
omfg jab lock
my only other option is to roll, and now he's got me cornered on the stage.
omfg jab lock
I can't camp him because if he approaches me he'll gobble me up.

somebody save me.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Whatever, Ike is harder for R.O.B. than you think. Have your played San yet, Chibo?

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Rev-B = changing a direction or facing with a B-button attack (Special Attack)... simply put it reverses your B-button.

RF = Reverse Facing, referring only to the reversing of the direction you face.
RM = Reverse momentum, referring to only the velocity change.

Examples:
"RF Laser" means you have changed your facing from one side to the other using your Robo Beam (Neutral Special Attack)

"RM Gyro" means you have changed the direction you are moving with your Gyro (either with its charge or the shot).

Most people just say the generic "Rev-B" for simplicity sake, the meaning will be in the context.

Nobody really uses the Rev-A term as it never comes up (Marth's B-Air is a Rev-A for example).
Actually thats not too bad, I kind of like saying "RF Laser" or "RF Gyro".

but that doesnt explain what you intend to replace "Wavebounce" with.

Kaoculus

Smash Cadet
= [ i wish i could get him off the stage... i would have just checked the matchup thread but it moves soooo slowlyyy

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just because you get outplayed by one of the best players doesn't mean there is a surefire counter to it. Practise.

Kaoculus

Smash Cadet
i'm not really here complaining... i just want some advice, but everyone is just giving me one liners. forget it i guess.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Camp more. Ike isn't easy for Rob, his range is stupid. Also, never roll towards Ike, the best advice you will ever get.

Top Bottom