• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Well, that's when I said you should approach... when he's PSing/countercamping. But you've got to have initative to win in this matchup. You can't let it stalemate. If you're on even stocks, you should approach. But of course, if you're a stock ahead, or even same stocks 80% lead, then you can just try to wait it out.

Cubone first four frames of UpB have invincibility.
Alright, thanks. Thats what I was guessing but I wasn't sure.

Oh, and what frame are we able to do something out of the upb?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Good advice that made me much better in this MU, try to avoid going aerial onstage. You will lose.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
So I've been trying to figure out things that ROB can buffer, but I'm struggling to find anything useful. Anyone know any neat tricks with ROB and buffering?
A little late on this, but the main thing I buffer is bair to B-reverse gyro. It's pretty useful, I don't buffer much besides that though.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I've surely done this, but what is "buffer"?
Buff is when a character or a move is improved. For instance, Mr. Game & Watch was buffed in Brawl(compared to Melee). Its opposite is nerf: "Captain Falcon was nerfed in Brawl".

See also:

Buff
Nerf

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
man if that's what buffer's meant this whole time I've been waaaay off

Silhouette

Smash Lord
LMAO at the other responses.

I've surely done this, but what is "buffer"?
Its when you input a move during another move. When you "buffer" something, you are telling your character to do something before he can actually do it, then he will perform the move as soon as possible.

This is also how you can take advantage of "IASA" (Interruptible As Soon As) frames and such.

There is no buffering in Melee, so for example if you input a forward smash towards the end of a forward smash you will not perform it. In Brawl you will do a second forward smash.

Buffering usually adds more tech to a fighting game, specifically useful in the Street Fighter series and other 2d fighters for "charge" attacks that require you to be holding a certain direction on you controller for a few seconds before you can perform an attack, but in Brawl it acta a little differently. It opens a window for error where you dont have to have the timing down to input your attack the moment your last attack ended, yet techniques that require frame-perfect buffering can be rather difficult and require practice.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Any idea when we are supposed to get complete frame data?

Still wondering when we can react out of our upb... =\

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Okay, thanks Sil. I've surely done that, just didn't know the name of it.

And I want to see R.O.B.'s (pivot)grab range, see the frames, but even his special attacks and his huge blindspots.

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
Do we have a ROB match-up index?

And who is allowed to start the character A vs character B mu threads? lol thnx <--- yes I actually don't know this.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Do we have a ROB match-up index?

And who is allowed to start the character A vs character B mu threads? lol thnx <--- yes I actually don't know this.
We haven't completed a a match up discussion yet... there is a sticky here for matchups though, and everything is being posted within that thread.

If you need help with a certain character you should just ask about it here (after you check if it was discussed first)

Sil, you're almost completelly right...

Buffer is inputting a move during the final ten frames of either an IASA window or just various animations. Prime examples are buffering a second jump out of a ledge getup, or a glidetoss/roll out of spotdodge. So anytime you're in "lag" of some sort, you can buffer.

However, buffering requires slightly different inputs. Like, flicking Z to buffer a grab, instead of pressing it, or flicking the analog stick to the side, then quickly tapping A to buffer an FTilt.

The only things airdodges can be cancelled into are throws and Zairs.

So basically to instant throw aerially airdodge and immediately input/buffer/w/e a throw with the CStick.

Afaik, no, you can't. To instant throw while grounded, you need to catch a projectile with the CSTick then tap CStick again quickly to throw it.

I.e. you can instant throw a peanut/tossed banana, but you can't pick up a banana lying on the stage and instant throw it.

Then that would technically be aerial IT. ;P

Alternatively you can SH airdodge so that you land and pick up a grounded item, them buffer a throw in the lag. Although that wouldn't be true ITing in a conservative sense, it would still be executing a throw on the earliest frame possible after that action.

Sharky

Smash Master
true, it would be an aerial, but it's still the only option (along with what you said obviously, pretty much an alternate version of what I said lol)

also I'm pretty sure you can time it so you throw the item before you land

You can.

In fact, Snake can do a really cool sort of "on demand" aerial instant throw with his nades.

When you shield to drop a nade, the nade falls around his upper torso/head.

Jump comes out on frame 1 OoS.

So basically what he can do is shield(jump) > nade catch > AIT

If only ROB could do that. :<

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Smash Lab, any new information or just an update would be great.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
No sarcasm allowed starturds. You haven't been around long enough for that.

>Implying that I have?

Top Bottom