• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Learning R.O.B.'s attacks is one thing, but to actually know how to utilize said attacks and know when the appropriate time to use them is another story. Same goes for any character, really. Also, master Glide Tossing; R.O.B. has a great glide toss which works hand-in-hand with his Gyro. :3

Well, glidetossing is easy. It's weak glidetossing that's really useful for approaching and mindgames. And flashiness. Stingers made a thread on it way back when.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, glidetossing is easy. It's weak glidetossing that's really useful for approaching and mindgames. And flashiness. Stingers made a thread on it way back when.
Ahh, I love mindgames. I often twirl/spin around with R.O.B. for that. I want to come up with a good name for it; R.O.B. Dance? R.O.B. Ballet? Who knows? I also play on his cuteness and feign sandbagging to throw off my opponent, though only sometimes, as sandbagging in any way is very risky. XD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Guys... Every single character is hard if you aim for the top. Even sir MK. Rob, like G&W has a short learning curve. They are simple characters. But they are still hard to win with in high levels of play.
Learning curve has nothing to do with winning.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Guys... Every single character is hard if you aim for the top. Even sir MK. Rob, like G&W has a short learning curve. They are simple characters. But they are still hard to win with in high levels of play.
Learning curve has nothing to do with winning.
Couldn't agree more. Though rare, I've seen even Ganondorfs beat his nigh impossible match-ups against the likes of Olimar, Ice Climbers and Sheik.

Goes to show the one variable that is ever-so present in life, including Smash... "what if...". XD

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ganondorf vs IC is impossible. The skill level of the ganon player doesn't matter. Just because char sucks doesn't make them hard or vice versa...

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I will double post now as I fell it's the right thing to do in this case.
Recently, when I have played Rob, he feels boring and I don't feel motivated to play with him anymore. I don't want to end like that and would like to ask you how to get motivated better as Rob is still my top 3 character.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I will double post now as I fell it's the right thing to do in this case.
Recently, when I have played Rob, he feels boring and I don't feel motivated to play with him anymore. I don't want to end like that and would like to ask you how to get motivated better as Rob is still my top 3 character.
Firstly, I don't really think that was a double post more than it was a bump... not sure how SWF works in this aspect.

As for R.O.B. being boring, I will admit he is a simple character with glide tossing as his only real advanced technique. The way I make him fun is by "playing around" with him. Let's say I'm fighting Dedede and he throws a Waddle Dee. Instead of going past the Waddle Dee to get to Dedede, I crouch down - making R.O.B. look as if he's observing the Waddle Dee - and then proceed to poke at it with down tilt. It's amazing what show you can pull with R.O.B.'s cuteness alone... just be aware it won't really be an effective mindgame against the most aggressive players.

That said, R.O.B. is a straightforward character with a single-minded style of play. For me, it's that simple playstyle that makes him feel natural to me. I guess it's why even though the likes of Diddy and Falco are top tier, I have trouble getting used to their complex playstyle and winning with them. XD

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014

You said R.O.B.'s only real advanced technique is his glide-toss?

Please find the player OCEAN on Youtube and you'll see. R.O.B. has at least a learning curve above the average - in contrast to King Dedede and Meta Knight.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

You said R.O.B.'s only real advanced technique is his glide-toss?

Please find the player OCEAN on Youtube and you'll see. R.O.B. has at least a learning curve above the average - in contrast to King Dedede and Meta Knight.
Really? Well, if watching Ocean can give me more insight on how to improve my R.O.B. game, then that would be cool. Thanks. :D

-LzR-

Smash Hero
ccst, OCEAN abuses wavebouncing. Every single **** character in the game can do it. It's not really super technical or rob specific. And Dedede, Rob and MK are all difficult to win in top level of play budum tsing.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
in top level play, every character is difficult to win with because characters matter less and less.
Yeah, for the most part, wit and prediction's the biggest factor. Characters themselves - depending on the match-up - is also a factor, but not to the degree of the former two.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Yes in top level play its much more player specific and characters matter less and less, but it really all comes down to that specific players MU knowledge. Whether or not they know their opponents characters tricks and weaknesses.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So how do you approach with Rob? I play against Falco quite a lot and have been wondering is there any good way without getting jabbed or ***** in any other way...

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
So how do you approach with Rob? I play against Falco quite a lot and have been wondering is there any good way without getting jabbed or ***** in any other way...
Don't go into jab range. Walk and PS the lasers, when you get close you have tilts.

Honestly, just walk your approach. PS everything, then tilt in close. You don't need to be overly offensive in this matchup, just cool, calm, and collected.

If you do happen to try and be aggressive, wavebounced Burner is good for a mixup approach. I.e. dash/walk/w/e away, then wavebounce Burner into an aerial. Fair, Bair, and Nair are all good choices.

Gyro is meh here. If it's spinning, it could(read: COULD) disrupt a CG, but Falco can deal with Gyro really easily. There isn't really a downside to using it, like in every matchup. Just be careful he doesn't get a hold of it(duh).

Use FTilt to break through jabs, and DTilt to poke. Shieldgrab DACUS if you can see it coming, and it you get a Gatling Combo pulled on you, DI horizontally out of the DA and tech. Don't try DIing up, 'cause it puts you in a bad place obv:012:

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to ROB and I have two questions:
What is wavebouncing?
What is the best way to DI and momentum cancel in each direction?

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to ROB and I have two questions:
What is wavebouncing?
What is the best way to DI and momentum cancel in each direction?
Sorry I forgot one more:
What is the best way to avoid being gimped with ROB?
It happens to often:urg:

Degree, you seem to be new to the boards, so just remember not to double post. Use the edit funtion to add to your posts.

Anyhow,

Wavebouncing is the act of executing a special, then quickly tapping the opposite direction you're going in. You should end up doing the special, but moving and facing in the other direction.

Hit horizontally: DI up. Hit vertically: DI horizontally. The point is DIing toward the corners of the screen, where blastlines are extended the most. Also, Fastfalled Fair is the traditional, go-to momentum cancel, but if you have enough time, airdodge and use Side-B. This is if you won't get KO'd before you execute and finish the whole procedure. It's riskier and tougher to pull of when compared to FFFair, but it's a better cancel.

Getting gimped is one of ROB's biggest worries. There's no easy, surefire way to avoid it, so best advice I can give is try and use a properly spaced Uair to interrupt the other guy. You got to connect before the gimper's hitbox comes out though.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Sorry I forgot one more:
What is the best way to avoid being gimped with ROB?
It happens to often:urg:
You'd ought to refrain from double posting. Use the edit button to add more to a post, lest you invoke the wrath of a mod's infraction.

Wavebouncing involves B-sticking and performing R.O.B.'s Gyro with the C stick. The recoil helps propel him a great distance when used correctly. I don't know a lot about it though.

As for gimping, it's rather difficult to gimp R.O.B.'s recovery due to his options. R.O.B., on the other hand, can gimp almost anyone by using his lasers, Gyros, or simply chasing them off stage and Wall of Paining them. Between his floatiness and smexy recovery with Robo Burner, R.O.B. does not fear going off stage to gimp. Hope that helps some. :3

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Does anyone here know the Sheik MU? I lost to one over the weekend and I felt completely lost and gave up halfway through game 1, lol. I brought it to game 3 and everything, but that's probably because he didn't stay Sheik, he went Marth game 2 where I beat him with D3, and MK game 3, where I almost beat him with D3, so it was still close.......

Point is, I need help with the Sheik MU, I've never had to play against one in Brawl before.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Don't approach Sheik and camp her. Shield-grab her. (I don't know much more, but I'm going to play Armada's Sheik and see how well it goes).

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Does anyone here know the Sheik MU? I lost to one over the weekend and I felt completely lost and gave up halfway through game 1, lol. I brought it to game 3 and everything, but that's probably because he didn't stay Sheik, he went Marth game 2 where I beat him with D3, and MK game 3, where I almost beat him with D3, so it was still close.......

Point is, I need help with the Sheik MU, I've never had to play against one in Brawl before.
Wish I could help... I don't know this match up either. Thats why I just go pikachu :awesome:

:104:

FEAR977

Smash Apprentice
You'd ought to refrain from double posting. Use the edit button to add more to a post, lest you invoke the wrath of a mod's infraction.

Wavebouncing involves B-sticking and performing R.O.B.'s Gyro with the C stick. The recoil helps propel him a great distance when used correctly. I don't know a lot about it though.

As for gimping, it's rather difficult to gimp R.O.B.'s recovery due to his options. R.O.B., on the other hand, can gimp almost anyone by using his lasers, Gyros, or simply chasing them off stage and Wall of Paining them. Between his floatiness and smexy recovery with Robo Burner, R.O.B. does not fear going off stage to gimp. Hope that helps some. :3
So you are basically reccomending I bstick with ROB?
And sorry about the double post.

B-sticking isn't necessary if you want to wavebounce. Just input whatever special you want, then tap the analogue stick in the opposite direction within 3 frames. Admittedly, it is easier when B-sticking, but I personally just get it down without it so I can still do stuff like retreating Fair.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
It's easy to say don't approach, but Sheik is fast, she can get to us pretty fast. She's not bad offstage, and she's not super easy to shield grab. Idk, it feels like there's something more to the MU that I don't know about.

Kaoculus

Smash Cadet
What am I supposd to do after I trip someone with dtilt? i always rush in for a grab or a dash attack or something, but nothing ever connects.

Top Bottom