• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Sudai

Stuff here
That's one of his Air blind spots. We also have 45-75ish degrees off the horizontal in front of us in the air and 55-80ish off the horizontal when on the ground.

Tmacc

Smash Lord
I think it depends. I always thought down and up were both good because it messed with people's DI or something.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I only angle it when I glide toss because back in the day of un-angling I would always miss the Fsmash after a glide toss, but as long as they're in range, down-angled Fsmash always hit.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I have a question. I've been working on wavebouncing, and I have a good idea on it (I still side B too much for my liking). However, when do I apply it lol? Like except for the WB SH gyro cancel, I don't really know what other times to apply WB.
Oh, and is GT forwards (throwing gyro down) pivot grabbing legit?

Sudai

Stuff here
Use it to get back to the stage. Someone trying to jungle you, fall to the left, WB to the right, get away. Once they get used to this you can mix in double wave bounces and triple wave bounces and omg it gets redic. You're basically wave dashing in the air. lol

TheMike

Smash Lord
I have a question. I've been working on wavebouncing, and I have a good idea on it (I still side B too much for my liking). However, when do I apply it lol? Like except for the WB SH gyro cancel, I don't really know what other times to apply WB.
Oh, and is GT forwards (throwing gyro down) pivot grabbing legit?
A video as example of what Sudai said: 3:28(double wavebounce). There are some examples of single wavebounce on this video, too. When not recoverying, I only do wavebounce for mindgames, like when your opponent is above a platform and you use wavebounce gyro cancel to Bair.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
i'm sure this has been answered somewhere in here but how does one gyro cancel? i looked on the community guide but it didn't say how, it just showed it

Silhouette

Smash Lord
Its easiest to just HOLD L/R/Z once you pull out gyro, it will cancel as quickly as possible with no chance of accidentally airdodging after.

you can also hold it for the entire double/tripple B-reverse.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Use it to get back to the stage. Someone trying to jungle you, fall to the left, WB to the right, get away. Once they get used to this you can mix in double wave bounces and triple wave bounces and omg it gets redic. You're basically wave dashing in the air. lol
A video as example of what Sudai said: 3:28(double wavebounce). There are some examples of single wavebounce on this video, too. When not recoverying, I only do wavebounce for mindgames, like when your opponent is above a platform and you use wavebounce gyro cancel to Bair.
Thanks for the responses. Guess I know what to practice on...

And is GT forward while throwing gyro down pivot grabbing legit? I heard someone tell me it was a combo and I've done it before. However, if it weren't very practical, I wouldn't practice it.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Well... just from the description it doesn't sound too practical. In order for a gyro thrown DOWN to hit him, you must be pretty close to him and he must not be shielding, which probably isn't the case very often. If he isn't shielding, throwing it forward would work just as well, if not better since it can also lead to an fsmash.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
"Wavebouncing" the gyro cancel to an edge hog is pretty nice I believe.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Well... just from the description it doesn't sound too practical. In order for a gyro thrown DOWN to hit him, you must be pretty close to him and he must not be shielding, which probably isn't the case very often. If he isn't shielding, throwing it forward would work just as well, if not better since it can also lead to an fsmash.
I guess I can explain it a little better. What I'm pretty much saying is using the momentum from the GT to perform a pivot grab. Since throwing the gyro forward often results in them being hit, shielding, or dodging, it doesn't really work to toss it forward and attempt a grab, especially if they dodge. But by throwing it down (I think the animation for throwing down is faster than any other direction besides forward)the gyro never interferes and since they expect a thrown gyro, you gain the momentum but no gyro. And since I'm not trying to hit them with the gyro, throwing it down works and I just pivot while gliding. However, the spacing for this to work is kinda strict since ROB doesn't have a grab range like Marth or Charizard, for example. If I knew how to upload vids I'd do so just to show you what I mean. I hope this explains it a little better.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Yea, I get what you're saying now. I do something similar against Falcos if they get twitchy whenever I have a gyro in hand. I inch forward or even duck and they'll throw out a reflector. Even if they don't, I can GT up/down and use the momentum to get a grab/smash as the reflector whiffs

bundtcake

Smash Ace
So, at what percentage is up throw a guaranteed KO against MK? Recently in a tourney I upthrew a MK at 155% and he DI'd it (on the last stock of last match of grand finals no less, after which he came back and beat me @_@) so I am prompted to find out exactly how long I should be waiting before using it as a KO move against people with good DI o:

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Hmm, thanks o: I know it's not that great of a KO move but when you're up in those percentages it's nice to know when you can KO with a throw (well, aside from something like bthrow by the edge, which would KO sooner than uthrow I'm assuming). Unfortunately I seem to get in this situation too often against MK... D:

Sudai

Stuff here
Power Shield. With good timing and practice you can powershield lasers and Side-B's. Dash attacks are extremely easy to powershield as well and you can grab armor the USmash if he trys to gatling combo so w/e.

Took me like an hour of playing with Sethlon to learn all the different timings, y'all can do the same.

Nova9000

Smash Lord
I don't think that's a good idea. They stop you in the air and it gives Falco time to close the gap and juggle you. And we all know how loathsome it is being above a foe with ROB in the air.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
So, at what percentage is up throw a guaranteed KO against MK? Recently in a tourney I upthrew a MK at 155% and he DI'd it (on the last stock of last match of grand finals no less, after which he came back and beat me @_@) so I am prompted to find out exactly how long I should be waiting before using it as a KO move against people with good DI o:
It depends on character, weight, DI, stage and so, but 160+ is not impossible.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Lol, Bo. Trying to avoid what happened with Arty again?

Oh, and if we meet in brackets at BoM this weekend, I'll go ROB this time.
sweet. :) I might go rob too, but I know you hate Rob dittos. xD

Also yea, I hated how Arty played me, so frustrating. If I overcome the lasers I can beat him.

Paix

Smash Apprentice
how do you do aerials whilst holding the gyro? it just throws the gyro whenever i try :(

Sudai

Stuff here
You have to have been holding an attack button prior and then use the CStick or you can do it in your Up-B. You can also Up-B, aerial and hold A, then do another for two in a row with an easy set up.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
You have to have been holding an attack button prior and then use the CStick or you can do it in your Up-B. You can also Up-B, aerial and hold A, then do another for two in a row with an easy set up.
ok, the upB part is true, but I dont believe any character can just hold the attack button and then use the Cstick to perform aerials. I am pretty sure it is impossible to do an aerial while holding an item unless (with the exception of ROB's upB and Peach's hovering stance).

Silhouette

Smash Lord
ok, the upB part is true, but I dont believe any character can just hold the attack button and then use the Cstick to perform aerials. I am pretty sure it is impossible to do an aerial while holding an item unless (with the exception of ROB's upB and Peach's hovering stance).
Try it, it works.

You can also do D-tilts with items with characters that can crawl, most useful with Diddy.

Top Bottom