• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to APEX: Kings of Cali- SephirothKen! BRING A SETUP! - stream by VGbootcamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
lol @ avoiding legumes but consuming hormonal, antibiotic-filled animal products

actually just a big lol for being a drama queen. buy your own **** and cook it like a man. no one's catering for you, that's not how life works.

plus fasting is healthy as hell anyway

anywho cali is king of healthy eating so yelp some free-range burger place and pay $20 a meal

requoted for lawls

aye gtfo of here with that famous ****. famous in 2012 really means infamous. in-n-out is "famous." jesus 95% of people have no idea what they're tasting because all they've eaten is fat people food. they think fuddrucker's, fatburger, or five guys is gourmet food. honestly if u dont know how to cook u dont know how to eat.

okay kids im done trolling
I know fasting is healthy. Also, I cook most of my meals.

How am I being a drama queen? I've been faithful to my diet for over a year and have no plans to stop either excuse me for caring about my health.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

oksas

oak-sauce
is it some kind of joke that you keeping making rubyiris the one without any red in his name? you sick *******

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
anywho cali is king of healthy eating so yelp some free-range burger place and pay $20 a meal
Fly rocked my world a while ago when he told me yelp is apparently pretty shady, and they have businesses artificially receive positive/negative reviews. Unfortunately, I don't remember the specifics, but knowing fly; he doesn't seem like the kind of person who would believe what he sees on the Internet unless there was good proof behind it. Just mentioning this since I know you seem to really like Yelp lol

Also, I was planning on starting to cook for myself once the school year starts, and was wondering, what exactly is healthy? You seem like a pretty good person to ask about this topic. So far I've heard Fish(not tuna/salmon)/chicken/egg whites/whole grain breads (I heard even this is bad though so idk) and vegetables (not sure which).

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Everyone hates shadrach; no need to draw attention to what he says. The hate is implied.
?

Adam is one of my favorite smashers, hands down.

Yo you ever been to true food kitchen? Thats my jam.

btw you should come to this and commentate. :bee:

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
So its been hinted at already, but now its official!

Kings of Cali is Pac West's Road to APEX qualifier. Team OXY is humbled by this opportunity, and wants to do right by the APEX name by hosting an event that shows the true strength of this region. Lets blow last year's qualifier apart.

Hype.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
Fly rocked my world a while ago when he told me yelp is apparently pretty shady, and they have businesses artificially receive positive/negative reviews. Unfortunately, I don't remember the specifics, but knowing fly; he doesn't seem like the kind of person who would believe what he sees on the Internet unless there was good proof behind it. Just mentioning this since I know you seem to really like Yelp lol

Also, I was planning on starting to cook for myself once the school year starts, and was wondering, what exactly is healthy? You seem like a pretty good person to ask about this topic. So far I've heard Fish(not tuna/salmon)/chicken/egg whites/whole grain breads (I heard even this is bad though so idk) and vegetables (not sure which).
well Yelp has a filtering system that takes out reviews that seem biased or from reviewers with no credibility
they're pretty smart about it
try to look for reviews from yelp ELITE people instead if youre still skeptic. They'll usualy provide the best objective reviews

staying away from red meat while eating lean poultry is always a good choice.
try to eat wheat bread options or brown rice instead of white

Veggies in general are all good for you, just depends on how you prepare them. Steaming them is always safe (not to confuse with boiling them - veggies can lose alot of nutrients if boiled)
As for organic vs. non-organic food, studies have shown the nutrients you get from one or the other are not much different. The only problems are things like additives and pesticides that we don't know how will harm us in the long run.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Adam is one of my favorite smashers, hands down.
Thanks. :)

Yo you ever been to true food kitchen? Thats my jam.

btw you should come to this and commentate. :bee:
Never heard of it. And no chance, although the gesture is appreciated. After this post I'll stop taking up space in your thr33d.

Yelp is alright. It's not something you can blindly trust, but it's a decent rule of thumb, a useful proxy for word-of-mouth. I mentally knock at least 1/2 star off of every rating. It's all about the quality of the review, the details. This is why I take great pains to update my reviews regularly as my tastes become more nuanced and to give details about the three components of eat-out: customer service, price and quality.

As with anything in life that concerns the truth, to a large degree you have to do your own research. You need to be self-aware of your body, the variables involved in your emotions, feelings and moods and value your intuition and personal experiences. You are your own God and you are the only authority that matters.

That said I can offer my experiences as a guide.

The diet/food world is all about converts. A paleo convert will tell you to avoid beans and nuts because of phytic acid. What he is not mentioning is that there are tried-and-true techniques to mitigate most, if not all, of phytic acid, and that per-calorie beans and nuts are too nutritionally dense to avoid.

A vegan may plead to your sense of morals and respect for life. They may also mention the harmful hormones/anti-bacterials floating in the animal products you consume. They will likely harp about how healthy a plant-based diet is. But they are likely glossing over just how severe a change of lifestyle it will demand, and conveniently ignore that organic, free-range grass-fed meat/dairy are possibly the healthiest foods on the planet and minimize the moral concerns normally associated with contemporary animal food.

Fish is interesting because even otherwise valuable sources will claim that the mercury in fish is dangerous. That is blatant misinformation, because almost all sources of commonly consumed fish in first-world countries has more selenium than mercury. Selenium binds to mercury and flushes itself out of your system.

Unfortunately most fish comes from unsustainable and unhealthful practices (such as farm-raised fish). Fortunately there is a company, Wild Planet Foods, that sells sustainable, and extremely tasty, fish. Unfortunately it is fairly expensive, although cheaper than your organically-raised red meat.

As for my informed but non-authoritative opinion/synopsis:

In general, assuming you don't want to become a zealot about everything you put in your mouth (although I certainly am, to an ever-increasing degree), the simple rule of thumb is to stop consuming processed foods. If it comes in a can, you probably shouldn't buy it. (There are a few exceptions, such as tomato sauce, but all these exceptions come with their own concerns.) Fish, eggs, rice, legumes, pasta, and whole grains are fine. Red meat should be avoided at all costs unless it is organic and free-range. All fruits and vegetables are fine. Non-organic/free-range chicken, turkey and cheese is sub-optimal but is not a big deal. For simplicity's sake avoid all liquid calories, including those coming from fruit/vegetable sources.

Assuming you stick to these guidelines, and work out, on average, 2-3 times a week, you will be healthier than ~95% of the population. There are a seemingly infinite amount of combinations you can create to ensure you look forward to every meal. There will simply be a learning curve, with hard work and patience required.

Personally I am becoming vegan. That is both because of moral and health reasons.

My sources: Potatoes, Not Prozac; Natural Prozac; The Crazy Makers; The China Study; Nutrition and Degeneration; The Secret Life of Plants; personal experience.

EDIT:

well Yelp has a filtering system that takes out reviews that seem biased or from reviewers with no credibility
they're pretty smart about it
It took me two or three reviews for mine to get accepted. Did not seem difficult to "skirt" if I so chose. -shrugs-

try to look for reviews from yelp ELITE people instead if you're still skeptic. They'll usually provide the best objective reviews
In my experience those are often the worst reviews.

staying away from red meat while eating lean poultry is always a good choice.
try to eat wheat bread options or brown rice instead of white
Poultry has its own concerns but I understand for most people it is very difficult to cut out all meat but fish in one go. Chicken/turkey is >>>> beef/pork, but fish is >>>> chicken/turkey, and even if you love meat I don't think you should eat more than 2-4 servings a week.

Veggies in general are all good for you, just depends on how you prepare them. Steaming them is always safe (not to confuse with boiling them - veggies can lose alot of nutrients if boiled)
Agreed. Sauteeing is what I prefer. For like a minute or two. Almost everyone overcooks their vegetables. I know that root vegetables like radishes and broccoli should hardly be cooked at all. Raw veggies da bess! (Cook potatoes, though.)

As for organic vs. non-organic food, studies have shown the nutrients you get from one or the other are not much different.
That is not quite true. Indeed, this highlights a big pet peeve I have with "science" (which, not to go on a tangent, but is basically what people use as God when they lack "faith"). Many -- dare I say most? -- "science" you read about is flawed in one way or another. None of it should be taken at face value. Even stuff that seems absolutely inscrutable and spot-on. Science is corrupt with groupthink and politics. Dig into the history and it's seemingly all political.

For more on the specific point you brought up, you need to read The Secret Life of Plants. Really blows the lid off a lot of nutritional "science." It brings forth a plausible scientific reasoning of why prayer before meals is beneficial, among an innumerable amount of other things.

The only problems are things like additives and pesticides that we don't know how will harm us in the long run.
Unfortunately pesticides are in the ground of even organic fruits and vegetables. You can't really escape them unless you grow a garden, and even that has issues because of genetically modified seeds.

khepri

Smash Lord
Thanks. :)

That is not quite true. Indeed, this highlights a big pet peeve I have with "science" (which, not to go on a tangent, but is basically what people use as God when they lack "faith"). Many -- dare I say most? -- "science" you read about is flawed in one way or another. None of it should be taken at face value. Even stuff that seems absolutely inscrutable and spot-on. Science is corrupt with groupthink and politics. Dig into the history and it's seemingly all political.
This is very true.

EDIT:

Stab, if you're looking for tips on how to be healthy, my rommate in college just wrote a book. It's set your own price so you can download it for free if you need to. It's a great source of information.

http://www.khaledallen.com/warriorspirit/store/warrior-spirit-principles-of-holistic-health/

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Considering there are like 2 dudes in all of socal who like p:m enough to play it at a massive melee event, I doubt it will hold anything up.

A setup or two in the corner is fine. We have room. But melee takes priority obv

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
pm's amazing but if you aren't running an event for it then i suggest you not allow any setups of it, or like 1 max.

also apparently i might be going to this? i dunno yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom