• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Apex 2012: TourneyPlay SoCal - September 24-25th, 2011 - S

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
this is pretty upsetting for me. I put a lot of faith in this event bringing in a lot of people.

Jun.

Smash Lord
This event most likely was unsuccessful due to venue fiascos and the timing of the event.

This event from SD's (more closely UCSD players, a large portion of the SD community) viewpoint:
- was expensive (was reduced but the stigma of a high entry price was still looming)
- was confusing to register up to the last minute
- lack of hype surrounding the event
- timing of the event was the week we get back to UCSD so everyone was settling in and severely unprepared for a projected large scale tourney from not playing over the summer.

The SD community's makeup is very unique in the sense that we are players from all over CA that have met solely due to attending UCSD unlike the construct of a normal community that is region based. I can't think of another community that is as school-based as our own, this characteristic also caused our locals to be unprepared for the tournament due to all our players leaving over the summer. To be honest, our players are in reality honorary "San Diego" players for the time we are in school and if we were to all graduate today, SD would be left with 3-5 active players not counting the inactive retired members. You can't expect such players to show up to a tournament just to give higher level players our money especially when we are not as prepared as we would like to be.

PWNYBOY

Smash Rookie
I was really sad about the attendance at this tournament. I thought it was going to be a whole lot bigger than it was. It was still really fun for what it was though. It was cool meeting and getting ***** by SFAT. SFAT's a nice dude. It was cool meeting Darrel, Shroomed, Sheridan, and Julian too; all really cool guys. It was fun playing friendlies with Julian. Thanks S2J for trying to show me how to beat falco, you are a sick dude as well. It was cool getting to play Eddy Mexico in my pool; Eddy's ****ing ridiculous wif dat Weegee. I hope to see you guys again soon.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
tourney was disappointing, but so it goes. shoutouts:

johnny-- you ****, thanks for the friendlies and tips
eddy-- such a nice guy and that luigi is incredible
josh-- fun friendlies, nice playing with you
adrian-- had fun playing/shooting the **** with you and your friends
trah-- nice to meet you
pat-- good seeing you again
maple-- appreciate the housing. had a blast at your place
pinoy-- good ****, was fun chilling and talking **** to dajuan lol
gc guy-- know it wasn't really your fault. thanks for trying to salvage a ****ty situation (and for the shirt)
norcal-- you already know

edit: also, nice to meet you hugo

Powered-By-Sex

Smash Apprentice
This is the first tournament I've gone to where the usual "smash time: current time + 2 hours" didn't happen. Oh wells. Even though the turnout was small, really nice to see the same group of people willing to drive 2 hrs. to SD events. At least SD showed up for SF4! As Hugo would say "I was too powerful."

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
This event most likely was unsuccessful due to venue fiascos and the timing of the event.

This event from SD's (more closely UCSD players, a large portion of the SD community) viewpoint:
- was expensive (was reduced but the stigma of a high entry price was still looming)
- timing of the event was the week we get back to UCSD so everyone was settling in and severely unprepared for a projected large scale tourney from not playing over the summer.

The SD community's makeup is very unique in the sense that we are players from all over CA that have met solely due to attending UCSD unlike the construct of a normal community that is region based. I can't think of another community that is as school-based as our own, this characteristic also caused our locals to be unprepared for the tournament due to all our players leaving over the summer. To be honest, our players are in reality honorary "San Diego" players for the time we are in school and if we were to all graduate today, SD would be left with 3-5 active players not counting the inactive retired members. You can't expect such players to show up to a tournament just to give higher level players our money especially when we are not as prepared as we would like to be.

was this info conveyed to the organizers? i find it hard to believe this event came into being w/o some sort of consideration/approval from the san diego smash community

Jun.

Smash Lord
was this info conveyed to the organizers? i find it hard to believe this event came into being w/o some sort of consideration/approval from the san diego smash community
Melee tournies in SD are almost always mainly organized by Azn_Lep while this tourney was not. Pat understands the local community very well and more or less only places UCSD Triweeklies on dates he knows will gain approval by our community in order have a good base number of SD participants at the very least. The momentum usually carries from there to Irvine being more motivated to come and in most cases extends to LA. To my understanding, he had less of a role in the promotion and planning of this tournament especially when the UCSD venue fell through.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
All the signs were there that this would not be a good tournament, but somehow I managed to ignore all of them.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Melee tournies in SD are almost always mainly organized by Azn_Lep while this tourney was not. Pat understands the local community very well and more or less only places UCSD Triweeklies on dates he knows will gain approval by our community in order have a good base number of SD participants at the very least. The momentum usually carries from there to Irvine being more motivated to come and in most cases extends to LA. To my understanding, he had less of a role in the promotion and planning of this tournament especially when the UCSD venue fell through.

i do not have a pulse on sd melee and i only know some of the facts regarding the issues the event faced, so i am kind of talking out of my ***--and venting a bit i suppose--but even after accounting for logistical/organizational issues it seems to me that the local players did not uphold their end of the bargain. when a regional has 25 people, and such a large out of region presence, then the locals have to take some responsibility imo. t.o. obv has responsibilities, but the community plays a role in supplying hype by making sure there's a good attendance base just by showing up. all other things equal this tournament has like 10-12 people if it's just socal and possibly even fewer given that mango, johnny only came for singles.

regarding some of the other points:

was expensive (was reduced but the stigma of a high entry price was still looming)
-- it did seem a bit steep, but the tournament was announced quite a ways in advance and the prices were known at least a month before

was confusing to register up to the last minute
true

lack of hype surrounding the event
you can certainly argue that this tournament lacked buzz; however, at the same time there was enough hype for us to drive 9 hours (with our best two players), for vegas to make a trip, and for eddy mexico and co to come (though idk if he usually goes or w/e). i can promise we didn't come down expecting 25 people lol

timing of the event was the week we get back to UCSD so everyone was settling in and severely unprepared for a projected large scale tourney from not playing over the summer.
fair enough, but people from around the area voiced interest in this thread and the date was announced some time ago. if the date was bad, then that i wish people had spoken up

hopefully i don't sound like i'm hating, but i'd be lying if i said i wasn't disappointed

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I feel bad for everyone who traveled, but I hope you guys were able to have fun. Shoutouts to Julian and Adrian, thanks for all the matches. It sucks we all ended up in the same pool. Thanks for making it down despite the way things turned out.

DarrellD

Smash Ace
****ty tournamrnt. Shoutouts to everyone i got a chance to talk to.
<3 maple/PNOY

aint doing this **** anytime soon, good job socal

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
despite my previous posts i did have fun, was just disappointed for obv reasons

Gg's tarheel, ****ing falcon is so hard mang. especially against falco lol. goodluck keep practicing.
thanks, you too. your falco is good, i've def got some work to do. good luck to you as well

I feel bad for everyone who traveled, but I hope you guys were able to have fun. Shoutouts to Julian and Adrian, thanks for all the matches. It sucks we all ended up in the same pool. Thanks for making it down despite the way things turned out.
yeah had a blast in that rotation

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
I had an alright time. I got my tourney fix, so Im good =P
Just alittle bummed that the tourney couldntve gone a bit longer. Sucks we had to leave by 7 (which then turned into 620 630 or something), not to mention it being a one-dayer. So many games I still wanted to play. DIdnt get to play tarheelnfkjeebfwaumhs . . . . and i guess PNOY was there, too? wtf?!?!

ALways appreciative of the guys who helped run the tournament.
Thanka a bunch, Sheridan and Pat
And thanks to the slightly older guy who seemed to own the place and was walking around making sure things were running smoothly (I think he owned it). He seemed pretty bummed more people weren't able to show, too

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I had an alright time. I got my tourney fix, so Im good =P
Just alittle bummed that the tourney couldntve gone a bit longer. Sucks we had to leave by 7 (which then turned into 620 630 or something), not to mention it being a one-dayer. So many games I still wanted to play. DIdnt get to play tarheelnfkjeebfwaumhs . . . . and i guess PNOY was there, too? wtf?!?!

ALways appreciative of the guys who helped run the tournament.
Thanka a bunch, Sheridan and Pat
And thanks to the slightly older guy who seemed to own the place and was walking around making sure things were running smoothly (I think he owned it). He seemed pretty bummed more people weren't able to show, too
That was the host, Gameclucks jpeg lol

Shroomed

Smash Master
Eddie Mexico is good, Atlus is a lot better than I thought he was.

This tournament was meh. Never forgetting my controller ever again though.

t-iceman

Smash Journeyman
lol that logic is such bull**** because gc guy set out the date for this tournament SOOOOO long ago (at least half a year but im pretty sure it was longer). If you thought the date was a problem why didn't you guys say anything instead of flaking out last minute. Socal you have no excuse; seriously pathetic that only 25 people showed up. Im pretty sure that Tourneyplay Portland (happened last November) had 28 entrants (including Salepate, still have no idea why he came, also his marth is really good) and thats in ****ing oregon. Do you know how many people play melee competitively in Oregon? (hint: like 2)

Jun.

Smash Lord
lol that logic is such bull**** because gc guy set out the date for this tournament SOOOOO long ago (at least half a year but im pretty sure it was longer).
It doesn't matter if one set the date a year ago.

If the tourney has no hype, it has no hype
If you ask students to choose a video game over moving into college, you're ridiculous.

We never said or confirmed we were going. In fact I believe a lot of us posted that it was too expensive. If someone posts a tournament, not everyone in the region comes in and posts "hey I'm not gonna be at this"....

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
if ppl knew the date wasn't going to work, they should have spoken up. just sayin.

but everything else is pretty much what it is. if there is no hype, then either its gotta get built or expect low turnout.

:phone:

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman

The Venue fiasco was 70% of the issue and the registration by Galaxy4Gamers being f'ed up and never fixed was at least 10-15% of it.

We lost a CRITICAL 3 weeks of hype and marketing time due to venue crap.

The balance was a lack of excitement on my part once the venue **** went down.

Pat, myself and Box Arena all considered postponing the event until first week of Nov, but we were urged not too delay it by someone.
So to honour that commitment to that person, we did not and we pushed ahead making the best of a ****ty situation.

THANK YOU to those that did come.
Disappointed that more San Diego Melee did not come (lets be real honest here, SD Melee did not show for no real reason.. they just did not come)

Pricing for this event was set months in advance, then lowered when the venue change happened and then lowered AGAIN at the door day of.
It was LOCAL pricing.

Anyway whatever... in seven years this is my first "failed" event and 80-85% of it was due to things out of my control (or anyone who worked with me on it).

Pat - THANK YOU for hanging in there on this event and making it worth the trip!

Box Arena - You all are superstars!!

Sheridan - THANK YOU also for making the trip and hanging in there.

MikeHAZE - Excellent job rallying the Brawlers and making this happen!

Everyone that came despite the ****storm of failness - THANK YOU ALL!!

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
the most annoying thing about this for me is that the sd players continue to shirk any responsibility for low turnout. the turnout cannot be blamed on any single person or group. this is a community; you cannot push it all on the organizers

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
and i assume that an inability to attend was known well in advance and likely could have been addressed if communicated

edit: no one said no one had anything else to do; we all have lives. point is i find it hard to believe that a date was set without any consultation of the local player base

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
based on what jun has said it seems like they were not coming regardless of the venue change

that's not to say that moving the venue didn't affect attendance. of course it did, but santee was really not that far and given the magnitude of the event it's a hard sell to argue that drastically altered the numbers

Violence

Smash Lord
Hold a tournament.

Terrible local attendance.

Blame it on the organizer.

When someone expresses their disappointment, RAAAAAGE!!!

Yeah, stay classy, San Diego.

You had a ****ty event. It happened. No amount of excuses is going to change that fact. As the host region, regardless of whether or not it's your particular fault, take some ****ing responsibility.

Imagine this happened in Norcal. You guys drive up for so many hours and end up seeing a piss poor excuse for a tournament.

Norcal claims it's not their fault, all of their players were out of region, weren't there, had stuff to do, whatever. The organizer made some mistakes and everything went to ****, but it's not Norcal's fault.

Does that make you feel any better for traveling across Cali to be disappointed? If Norcal held another tournament, would you want to travel all that way, knowing what happened last time?

If you give two ****s about holding another successful event, accept the fact that this whole tournament was a **** up, and that you are at least partially to blame for the failure of the event. Then make sure you're on point for your next event and show people that you guys can host ****.

There are so many excuses in this thread it's disgusting to read, man up and make the next one a success.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Hold a tournament.

Terrible local attendance.

Blame it on the organizer.

When someone expresses their disappointment, RAAAAAGE!!!

Yeah, stay classy, San Diego.

You had a ****ty event. It happened. No amount of excuses is going to change that fact. As the host region, regardless of whether or not it's your particular fault, take some ****ing responsibility.

Imagine this happened in Norcal. You guys drive up for so many hours and end up seeing a piss poor excuse for a tournament.

Norcal claims it's not their fault, all of their players were out of region, weren't there, had stuff to do, whatever. The organizer made some mistakes and everything went to ****, but it's not Norcal's fault.

Does that make you feel any better for traveling across Cali to be disappointed? If Norcal held another tournament, would you want to travel all that way, knowing what happened last time?

If you give two ****s about holding another successful event, accept the fact that this whole tournament was a **** up, and that you are at least partially to blame for the failure of the event. Then make sure you're on point for your next event and show people that you guys can host ****.

There are so many excuses in this thread it's disgusting to read, man up and make the next one a success.
THISTHISTHIS x 10000000000000000

Also, SD didn't say anything about not showing up. you guys only explained why it sucked afterwards. Jun is basically speaking for SD and he said nothing about not going..

Jun.

Smash Lord
THISTHISTHIS x 10000000000000000

Also, SD didn't say anything about not showing up. you guys only explained why it sucked afterwards. Jun is basically speaking for SD and he said nothing about not going..
Once again, people are not obliged to tell everyone that they're not going. If you go to a tournament thread say Genesis for example, is it going to be filled with people saying they're not going? No, it more or less consists of people saying that they're going to attend. It's very easy to point the finger to non-acquaintances. Can you guys even name 5 active SD players that LIVE in SD...?

If nothing is said, its safer to assume that one isn't going to attend.

Also note that when we (SD) say we're going to show up, we stick to our word. Can anyone think of the last time a UCSD Triweekly, a WinterGameFest or any other major tournament failed in SD? Its successes are largely attributed to Pat (Azn_Lep) for knowing the capabilities/limitations of our venues and the viable dates of the SoCal melee community, both of which were lacking in the organizational practices of GameClucks in my opinion.

This screencap basically sums up the entire tournament even though it concerns SC2. Andrew Wu is a UCSD player.
http://i.imgur.com/g0UtR.jpg

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Once again, people are not obliged to tell everyone that they're not going. If you go to a tournament thread say Genesis for example, is it going to be filled with people saying they're not going? No, it more or less consists of people saying that they're going to attend. It's very easy to point the finger to non-acquaintances. Can you guys even name 5 active SD players that LIVE in SD...?
No people aren't obliged, nobody expects every single smasher to come and say this, but you guys live in SD..it's nice to know if the local community is going to go. saying something like "hey most of us from SD can't come" would be helpful.

If nothing is said, its safer to assume that one isn't going to attend.
But you just said that tons of people aren't gonna come into a thread(genesis) and say they aren't going, now i'm confused. Honestly it's safe to assume that the local community is coming to the events. Otherwise they would say so.

Also note that when we (SD) say we're going to show up, we stick to our word. Can anyone think of the last time a UCSD Triweekly, a WinterGameFest or any other major tournament failed in SD? Its successes are largely attributed to Pat (Azn_Lep) for knowing the capabilities/limitations of our venues and the viable dates of the SoCal melee community, both of which were lacking in the organizational practices of GameClucks in my opinion.
I get that the venue changed, but you still didn't stick to your word. I get that UCSD is closer/easier, but you had people from norcal/vegas driving 5+hours..

This screencap basically sums up the entire tournament even though it concerns SC2. Andrew Wu is a UCSD player.
http://i.imgur.com/g0UtR.jpg
Not sure how any of that applies to this, like you said all of that pertained to SC2, the complaints there don't apply to us at all.

Also, i dont want this to come off like i'm raging. I had hella fun, just think the TO got more **** than the local community =/

Jun.

Smash Lord
Are you serious? Do I need to say this again?

THE SD COMMUNITY CONSISTS OF PLAYERS THAT AREN'T LOCALS.

Jesus.

:phone:

Top Bottom