• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding outbursts, tantrums, anger, and disrespect.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
Why not just embrace the negative emotional response to the loss... Beat yourself up and make yourself feel like crap so you will train harder to make it less likely to happen in the future. Run with the bad and make it work. F the haters...whose to say they're right? It's better to react with your heart then trying to suppress feelings I'd say. Yell, scream, flail when you're mad.. we are humans not robots. :)

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Players should remember that they are playing a game; even a child can remember such a trivial thing.

Respect for the adversary is the mark of a true warrior; disrespect is the mark of a fool.
I agree with the last part...the first part...not so much.

When you are competing for money and glory it's no longer just a game. It's a confrontational sport. Everything you are is ultimately tried, tested, and...exposed on the big stage. If you are weak you will crumble, If you are not weak you will find a way to overcome. If you are an honorable man or a man who doesn't know the meaning of good sportsmanship in victory or defeat. That will be exposed as well.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
people who say **** everytime something bad happens are ****ing annoying to play against
Is it the word that you find annoying or the fact they are speaking during the match? Or is it when its repeated nearly EVERYTIME they make an error?

I will do this when I play in a casual setting, but it's just me getting into the game :c I don't do it every 10 seconds or anything crazy, but 1 or 2 times I may slip in an "awww shiieet" or "fuuuuk" when i get punished hard. Then when there is a prize on the line I tend to focus to much to speak.

Varist

Smash Lord
Players should remember that they are playing a game; even a child can remember such a trivial thing.

Respect for the adversary is the mark of a true warrior; disrespect is the mark of a fool.
when you see people use semicolons, the word "fool" or "warrior", and especially "the mark of", you know they're some tool trying to sound like they have sage wisdom and create something people will want to quote

except gay

Kal

Smash Champion
**** you Varist; semicolons are awesome.

Anyway, I think people just need to keep in mind that the reaction of getting upset is not usually within the control of the individual. A decision tree doesn't come down that allows the player to choose between "inner peace" and "berserk button" when something goes wrong. The emotion that comes from something going wrong is more or less automatic. What matters is how the individual handles it. And sometimes, even for the best of us, we don't handle it well. The more stressful the situation, the less likely we are to handle it well. We should at least be open-minded and consider that the opponent is not necessarily intentionally behaving rudely.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
"berserk button" sounds like the guy was about to rip off his shirt, grow loads of chest hair in seconds and starts rampaging the place with an axe while chugging beer from a barrel on his shoulder :D

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I just don't understand 4-stocking your controller because 1 set didn't go your way.

:phone:
it's not supposed to be rational. it's not like controller-throwers sit down to deliberate and say "****, bro, i'm pissed. what should i do? i know! i'll throw my controller! that'll show them!"

what he's trying to say is that people can get angry when they lose. very angry, even. when they're very angry, their decision making (and control over their own actions) is largely impaired. when their decision making/control over themselves is largely impaired, then they may throw a controller.

people getting enraged after losing a big match is a multifaceted beast. it can be based off self-expectations, emotional/psychological make-up, state of mind, etc. it's not always (read: usually isn't) motivated by "god! this guy is so bad! i'm so mad i lost to this scrub," but people ALWAYS generalize and assume that it is, hence wobbles getting **** on by the melee-youtube community for the past, idk, 3 or 4 years.

raging is definitely a bad way of dealing with frustration issues, but it's a lot more complex and organic (i.e. real, natural, understandable?) than people make it out to be.

furthermore, there are a lot of disrespectful behaviors (that rob goes into in the OP) that people RARELY if EVER get called out on. These behaviors (read: johning, trash talk, or otherwise taking away from someone's sense of entitlement) are EXPLICITLY disrespectful, but they're not spoken of enough.

also, on a side note, it bugs me that wobbles is the only player who consistently gets **** on for raging. raging is a behavior that i strongly disagree with, and i'm not defending or justifying his actions in doing so (although i do want to defend him as being "a really swell guy" for the most part), but there are a LOT of players who have raged pretty hard (i can go into detail if necessary) without facing a single bit of repercussion for it. people act like wobbles is the only player who's ever thrown a controller in the history of smash bros.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Since you decided to bring me up, I'll level with you: I have a tough time dealing with my imperfections. I struggle a lot in other areas, and turn to Smash as an endeavor that I understand. I started playing seriously in July 2004, putting me at about 8 years and 2 months. I still make extremely basic errors that frustrate me, and I make them on an extremely regular basis, which frustrates me more. I do not come from a state with a large smash population, so people are almost always cheering AGAINST me wherever I go. I play an unpopular character so people will cheer against me based on THAT. I popularized a controversial move, so people don't like me because of THAT. Now, I'm in a weird limbo where people expect me to win--since I'm a big name--and also expect that I'm bad and I'll freak out. It's stressful. It's not easy to ignore a community that has this kind of perception of you, especially when you spend a lot of time on the boards and in person trying to teach them things about the game.

Then I had an infamous experience losing to SS, and now just about every video on youtube of me losing involves comments on me raging. It's assumed that I'm an arm-flailing four year old who has to be DA BEST and despises losing and can't handle it whatsoever, under any circumstance. I lose all the time. I don't always flip out. I do sometimes, because I have emotional issues, and when I make long strings of fundamental errors that completely shut down my ability to play (in a game that I love and want to succeed at, giving more ammo to people who believe I'm not actually that good).

People meet me and have an amazingly hard time believing that I'm actually me. Because I seem like a nice person with a (mostly) good attitude who really enjoys the game. And then people get surprised that I'm actually, like, okay at this game. And then I have a bad experience and it starts over again.

This post was not even about me.
I was with you until this part.

This thread is about you. Its about other people too, but your personal experiences were a clear motivator in creating this thread. And thats alright. With all you've done for the community, its OK to want validation from your peers.

But I'd argue that you get plenty of respect as it is, and most people, especially the ones who matter, have a high opinion of you, your playstyle, and your contributions to the melee scene. This is true for more than just melee but: don't let youtube comments get to you. They're youtube comments. I've met plenty of real people who love your Ice Climbers, have taken inspiration from your play, and appreciate your posting style. There are young IC mains who look up to you, even if they are too nervous to talk to you face-to-face.

Its annoying that I even have to tell you. Mew2king posts **** like this and gets a pity party every time (even though hes like the most accomplished smasher, ever). Using smashboards as a way to clear the air about something is fine, but I don't like when a top player focuses on their critics and ignores the legion of dudes hanging off their ****. Its disrespectful to the people who look up to you, and makes you look ungrateful for what you have. You've got TAI right above me defending your honor. Thats a homie that'll cheer for you every time. Yes, there exist some people who won't cheer for you. ****, I won't cheer for you and I'm a fan. You're just not from my region. Cheering by region is the only logical method I have; there are too many people I like for me to do it any other way. So when I, or others, cheer against you, that doesn't mean we don't respect/like/appreciate you. Come on.

You've got people to fight for. Thats all you can ask for. You don't have to "ignore" the haters, you just have to beat them. Thats the point of competition, and you can't blame them for gamesmanship. REP HARD FO YO CITY, GRIND FOR ERRY DOLLA, AND SMASH FOR ERRY CENT.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
:/

The thread was not supposed to be explicitly about me. It was about a concept, based on a different person's experience that I sympathized with. So yes and no, my own history was the impetus for this thread.

As for my standing in the community... I get disrespect from my opponents when I win if they're even remotely close to my skill level. People john about losing to me, but celebrate when beating me. You're looking at me NOW, after years of slowly convincing people I actually knew something about this game. Phrases like, "wow, you're actually good" and "I didn't know you knew so much about ICs," coupled with, "I would have won if X," "ICs are so gay," and then high level players talking about how "I'm not actually any good" online then *****ing out and backtracking if I talked about it face to face with them. Back THEN, people thought I was a joke. I got **** ALL THE TIME, and not just in youtube comments. I still get it now, in smaller doses, but I don't care as much.

I don't think _nobody_ likes me or supports me, but it IS stressful to rarely have the crowd rooting for me. There's a lot of pressure in that. It compounds other issues I have. I find it ironic that in order to tune out the crowd at G2 crew battles to keep me calm, I had my headphones on full blast; this made it so I couldn't hear the majority in one of the rare instances it was on my side.

Nowadays I get healthy measures of fear and respect, with a few haters thrown in. Trust me though, you would not liked being me a few a years ago, when it came to how this community perceived and acted towards you.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I'm all for a full-scale rennaissance of "no johns" as a catchphrase.

I've noticed the level of *****assness has increased the last few years, and I think its directly related to the decreased use of "no johns" in our regular conversation.

But...

I bet even back then you had a sizeable number of supporters. I can't speak for you, or step in your shoes, but it feels like you're consistently ignoring the people who root for you in "the community" you're describing.

Whatever, though. I agree with your overall point.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
I'm all for a full-scale rennaissance of "no johns" as a catchphrase.
THIS. no johns is a lifestyle.
actually its more of a pseudonym for 'deal with it. it happened, its not gonna UNhappen' but 'no johns' defines just so much more. its an attitude most people seem to have either lost or never gained. If you're not having a good time playing what is probably your FAVORITE game, or even your FAVORITE activity period, even with a group of people yelling ******** internet phrases at you and that all nonsense, then some re-evaluation of your priorities might be handy.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I've always imagined how it would be like if players were isolated in a room where they're the only ones there and the crowd is somewhere else watching. How do you think that would affect the way they play? Maybe Mang0 would need like some headphones that has an audio feed of the crowd since it seems like Mang0's drive is based a lot on the crowd, lol, but still.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I always root for you wobbles :>

i would be one of those scrub ICs who look up to you ^^
you're the main inspiration for my ICs.

Wobblesfanboi4lyfe <3

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I don't think _nobody_ likes me or supports me, but it IS stressful to rarely have the crowd rooting for me.
*anybody

This sounds like a thought/emotion of a depressed person. I'm sure you recognize on a rational/factual level that there are people who do like you and support you. But on the emotional level you feel like no one does, or maybe even that no one could. I think a lot of people might familiarize with your experience, and you are not the only player to experience this. Think about Hungrybox for example, think how much **** he has had to take over the years simply because of his playstyle & character choice.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Nothing as bad as an incorrect grammar nazi

especially when English is his second language and you can just be all like "OH HOW DARE YOU PRESUME TO QUESTION THE GRAMMAR OF A NATIVE YOU SMUG *******"

just kidding

you're still cool Novi

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Isn't wobbles perfectly correct, if he wants to say, that he does think there are people who like him and they are just pretty much always in the minority, so the crowd as a whole is not cheering for him?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Oh snap, do I have to diagram my sentence?

I - subject
don't think - verb phrase in negative form
"nobody roots for me" -- direct object phrase
"nobody" -- subject of direct object phrase
"roots" -- verb of direct object phrase
"for me" -- prepositional phrase within direct object phrase, used as adverb modifying "roots."

Basic sentence structure: subject, verb, direct object. Followed by a comma and the conjunction "but," creating a compound sentence.

Though I could have written it as, "I _do_ believe people support me and like me, but blahblahblah..." and it might have sounded a bit better, my way is still technically correct.

So I win.

Kal

Smash Champion
Well, Novi's correction loses the intended meaning. But the syntax in Wobbles post is not great, and the phrasing is a little confusing.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Your broke down your sentence, it makes no difference because:

"I don't think nobody"

Is still grammatically incorrect

It's like saying: "I don't think no one should be reading these forums" which is again incorrect

Goddamn do I have to teach you people how to write in your own language?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_negative

SSBM_or_GTFO

Smash Apprentice
Your broke down your sentence, it makes no difference because:

"I don't think nobody"

Is still grammatically incorrect

It's like saying: "I don't think no one should be reading these forums" which is again incorrect

Goddamn do I have to teach you people how to write in your own language?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_negative
Um, it's correct because it's a double negative. He acknowledges that people DO root for him. Read it carefully.

Double negatives are not incorrect.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
It would only be incorrect if the idea I was trying to convey is: "I think nobody cheers for me."

That's not the idea I wanted to convey.

Please stop. You're embarrassing yourself.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
I'm not really gonna talk about controller-throwing-rage but it's more about the people and especially the commentors, i mean do ANY of you get annoyed by what they say, i mean seriously "YAH SON whare U AT" or "damn dis **** gettin ***** bruh, like crazy n ****" i don't know if it's me but that commentary is ****ing annoying as hell, i'm actually suprised that they let people like that comment, instead of getting insightfull people who will actually be giving comments that make the game look more professional. I'm also suprised the MBR haven't made trashtalk illegal or something like that.

.............am i the really the only one?

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
So novi tried to correct someones grammar, even he was wrong himself?

About the topic: I think outbursts are normal, and they should be allowed if they don't make any harm to anyone. By harm I mean like if in anger you throw your controller at somebody that causes injury etc. If you win your match, and the loser strarts outbursting, then I think you can still be cheerfull and rejoice your own win you have deserved it.

Levingy

Smash Apprentice
Haha, don't take it hard, we all get embarrased sometimes :). And at least you did it with style; it was ceremonially your thousandth message on these boards =].

Kal

Smash Champion
In Finnish, double negatives are the standard, right? So you would not write "he does not go anywhere," but instead write "he does not go nowhere." I figure this might explain your earlier misunderstanding.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Yeah in some languages, multiple negatives don't cancel each other out, but simply reinforce each other. No pasa nada in Spanish would literally mean "nothing isn't happening" but the meaning it conveys is "nothing is happening."

For what it's worth, I think English is a very goofy language with too many irregularities and twists, and it REALLY needs somebody to prune it and make it make sense. So... you're forgiven :D

Top Bottom