• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding outbursts, tantrums, anger, and disrespect.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I've found that breathing deeply throughout a match helps to keep me from getting frustrated and generally keeps me in a good mood, regardless of results.

Javi

Smash Cadet
If it was me vs javi fanals, and he won I wouldn't feel anyway. I had fun at apex 2012 (him and shiz). When you play Javi, you feel as if you can express yourself and play for fun instead of play to win.

:phone:
Yeeahh. (y)

Many people have told me that, I think it's because I do not take the game so seriously and really look at fun .... Not everything should be competition.

***Google Translate

Morin0

Smash Lord
this

10this

a loss is much easier to take when it feels like your foe is playing Duck Hunt instead of smash lol

Wtf, I more or less said this a while back and nobody pointed it out, lol.

Also, Bert, I think you meant learn Spanish. Mexican isn't a language. You don't hear people say "I'm going to learn American," do you? :awesome:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion

well, it's also dependant on you playing "on point" and still getting clobbered. i've played a few top level (and high level) players so i know what it feels like lol. not as bad as one would think

Battlecow

Play to Win

Also, Bert, I think you meant learn Spanish. Mexican isn't a language. You don't hear people say "I'm going to learn American," do you? :awesome:

pat yourself condescendingly on the head

Deadgye

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one who just gets sad instead of frustrated/angry whenever I screw up something? I predict something, I push buttons, and then I don't receive bacon. I wanted my bacon. :( I can't help but ask Mario out loud why he didn't do what I wanted him to do.

I need to figure out if I sound like I'm johning when I play, lol.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Haha, I'm far from that. Apologies if I came across like that. It's a really common mistake so sorry for not giving you the benefit of the doubt, Bert.

no worries dude. it would have been pretty awkward if I wasn't joking and you thought i was.

Deadgye: You shouldn't be anything except analytical when you screw up something, especially midgame. Negative emotions can only serve to hurt you... Figure out why you're not getting your expected result and adapt. Make dat bacon son.

Wobbles: interesting read.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
the tendency to throw your controller when you lose leads to more and more frustrating moments which leads to quit the game more easily (nobody wants no smasher to ever quit :)), seriously... a very bad habit

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You make it seem like you are all playing the victim because you can't control your emotions.. I've always used my anger towards something meaningful and not blindly flail your controller/put up a tantrum whenever something goes wrong. At the very least, the way I do it if something goes wrong a lot of the times then I say to myself that i can always move forward towards the next battle and there will be more chances for me to do amazing things. For growth, I used this simply to melt bad habits very quickly... I used my anger to kinda punish myself whenever I repeated a pattern I got punished for more than a thousand times maybe even x100000 times. You use it to make mental notes to not do stupid stuff again, it worked very well for me. For example, you think: "Ok I really have to stop rolling the edge since I get punished for it a lot." If it keeps happening then you repeat the same sentence in your head until you stop doing it and start really consciously mixing your moves up.

I find this very useful.. channeling your emotions correctly I mean. =)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
divinokage said:
You make it seem like you are all playing the victim because you can't control your emotions
No, that's not what I'm doing at all.

This is a problem people have, which I call "assuming the solution."

Me: I have a problem. I get extremely mad about some things, and when I'm so upset that I can't think, I lose control.

You: Have you tried controlling yourself?

Me: Yes, that's the problem. It's very hard for me, and I don't know ways to do it more effectively. I get angry without noticing and once it snowballs I can't think clearly.

You: Well, concentrate on controlling yourself.

Me: No, what I'm saying is that when I have trouble concentrating and thinking properly when I'm that upset. And it just cycles on itself until I just lose it. What strategies/tactics/techniques/methods exist for making it better? What will help me stop feeling so ****ty? What is the cause? How can I stop it from happening in the first place, or short circuit the problem before it gets too big? What will let me control myself better?

You: I suggest trying to control yourself!

Me: Great. Thanks.

You're telling people to use a key that's locked inside the box TO UNLOCK THE BOX. Emotional control is part skill, part habit, and part physiological. There are a lot of mental habits that can make it extremely difficult to control yourself or feel a certain way that kick in without you even noticing. You could have a chemical imbalance that makes you feel angry and upset regardless of what you do. You might just be under tons of stress that's seeping over into your life. Or you might be a spoiled brat that can't handle things when they go your way.

It's not an issue of victimization; it's just a fact you try and deal with. People with emotional issues need to find ways to deal with them. When you see somebody who has them, saying "just deal with it" is rarely--if ever--helpful, because it tells them nothing new that they can use to improve the situation.

I'll repeat it for the last time: It's not good or healthy to throw tantrums and lose emotional control. Everybody has a responsibility to learn how to control themselves, for their sake and for people around them.

But these problems have diverse numbers of causes. The cause isn't always "not trying hard enough." Opening your mouth without trying to learn the root of the problem is unbelievably ignorant and extremely disrespectful, especially when the person IS trying and doesn't know how to fix their own problems.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Well written wobbles, I truly do respect you as a player. TBH I was surprised when people said you threw your controller because it's not really like you but I figured it wasn't half as bad as people made it out to be and it wasn't. You were frustrated and you still arent the person to complain, you never insulted your opponent you simply reacted to your emotions. That's understandable, I hope you didn't take all the jokes seriously, I'm sure people only made them because you seem like such a calm, upstanding guy.

**** happens, I didn't judge you for a second, just thought it was funny...mostly be because of waffles response, even if it was at your expense I don't think he meant anything by it and I don't think people judged you after that so much as they found it humorous, though people definitely took it a bit far on the BH stream. I definitely still have major respect for you, especially after this thread, whether it be considered venting or an explanation.

Now we'd like to see you play and commentate some more and if any stream monsters get in the way of that then **** 'em.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Players should remember that they are playing a game; even a child can remember such a trivial thing.

Respect for the adversary is the mark of a true warrior; disrespect is the mark of a fool.
When the "game" becomes a competitive medium, it is no longer a "game."

It is a sport.

Frustration happens.

OldSchool09

Smash Cadet
I've been severely disappointed in Wobbles ever since he threw that controller in 2009 - he could have easily gone outside and got more distance.

Beat!

Smash Master
You've been severely disappointed in him for three years? For throwing a controller once?

I don't necessarily agree with everything Wobbles has said in this thread, but that's just flat-out dumb. Get over it.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Has anyone noticed that brawl players are a tad more likely to throw tantrums? I don't play brawl, but a member of my local scene did way back when. I have never seen two melee players want to fight after a game. My friend has described no less then 3 separate occasions when people flat out engaged in fistycuffs after or during the match. (fisticuffs? Fisty Cuffs? I don't know, how ever it's spelled.) one of said fights he decribed occurred in winners finals. That's pretty late in the tourney so it's not these guys were complete scrubs or something. I think it's the way the game is built. Or maybe the only reason you don't really see that in melee is because we are a bit older, so just slightly more mature then they are. Idk, has anyone else noticed this?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'd say we've known each other for a long time so we already have respect for each other in general.. and ya brawl players are much younger in general which is definitely a factor, they are inexperienced at life.

Wobbles, I was just saying it could be victimization as a possible problem, I wasn't really targeting anyone in particular. However if there was a problem to begin with, there has to be a solution.. I can't believe a problem can't be fixed, there should be always something you can do.. maybe through trial and error most of the time in these complicated cases.

As for the key inside the box.. well... I guess you'll have to master your energy to break open the box then. loll.

Top Bottom