• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding outbursts, tantrums, anger, and disrespect.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
agree mostly but it's no more fair to call it mindless criticism than it is for observers to assume the worst about those who rage. oddly enough, i think people rush to judgment in these matters not due to lack of empathy, but precisely b/c they too have been angry and demonstrated adequate emotional control. that doesn't make it good, but i don't think people are completely misguided in this regard
So when you get phrases like, "people who throw controllers are ********," this does not constitute mindless criticism? It doesn't say anything helpful to the person throwing it. It says nothing useful about the situation. It's an easy judgment to make, so people make it and don't care.

Oskar:

No, most smashers aren't registered psychologists. So it's actually interesting to read bold and inflammatory claims about what a given action MUST represent in terms of somebody's mental state. IE: he threw a controller, therefore he's a spoiled brat and should **** off.

Not everybody needs to chip in. If you don't know the person enough for your words to be received, or you aren't confident enough to help somebody even if they don't need it, or you are genuinely worried they could physically lash out.... then don't. That's fine.

And you know what? SOME PEOPLE ARE SPOILED. Some people *are* scrubs that won't benefit from ANY help until they do some introspection of their own. Some people aren't worth the time you spend until they make themselves available to that assistance.

By assuming that somebody who throws a controller IS that person, you could well be doing a disservice to somebody who actually needs advice and friendship, or at the least, could be genuinely hurt by insults and uninformed judgments. This whole thread was spurred because somebody publicly apologized, explained the reasoning behind his behavior, and said he'd learn from it... then he got called a johning moron for doing so. And then it turned into a circlejerk where everybody felt good about mocking the guy who threw his controller.

I don't know if a public apology and explanation constitutes disrespect, but I think actively trashing that apology does.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I don't see how you could ever justify throwing a controller. Is it like you get so mad that you need to cause harm to the nearest movable object in your vicinity? I could never throw a controller, but that's because...1.good GCN controller are becoming pretty hard to find and 2. I really don't want to known as that guy who throws controllers. I don't wanna take a stab at wobbles cause he is amazing, I just don't understand 4-stocking your controller because 1 set didn't go your way.

:phone:

The Star King

Smash Hero
Eh. I semi-agree.

A bit of personal backstory. I used to rage at video games as a child. A lot. I would never throw/slam controllers (because I didn't want to break my ****), but I would get incredibly angry vocally, cry, and might punch a wall or something. And I HATED the fact that I did this, but I couldn't help it and I couldn't get rid of this during my childhood.

These days? I never get mad at video games. Ever. I probably haven't gotten remotely mad over one in perhaps 5 years (which is long because I'm quite young). And it's not that I'm repressing inner anger from becoming outwards. I legitimately don't feel any anger at all. Not a trace.

So basically, I learned to not be angry. It took me basically my entire childhood up to middle school, but I learned.

So I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I understand that it's hard to control for people who haven't learned to control their anger. But on the other hand, because of how it played out for me I can't help but perceive it as childish. To me, it feels like something you should have learned not to do by the time you're an adult, and it feels strange to see grown-*** men behave this way. I can feel sympathetic to people who feel that way, but I still think it should be discouraged.

I know at this point you're gonna say that I ignored your scenario and that it's more extreme in ultra mega GFs, dumb mistake on last stock of last game, all the time you spent on the game feels like a waste. I'll address this later.

I hate the saying "It's just a game." Seriously? We've all spent so much time on this game that it really should be a lot more than just a game to the tournament player. Losing a big set SHOULD be upsetting, and if it's not, you're either some sort of enormous zen master or you've wasted all those hours practicing in your room with the lights off on a "kiddy game."
Enormous zen master, huh? I think it's more about your rational side winning over your emotional side.

I mean, how have you "wasted all those hours practicing"? Does losing a tournament match mean you've lost all the progress you've gained from practice? Does losing a tournament mean you'll never get a chance to win one ever again? Were those hours you spent playing the game not fun, the reason you play the game in the first place? I'm speaking to you too, Wobbles. You made it sound like losing that big set means all the time you've spent on the game is wasted, and you'll never get a chance again, when this simply isn't true. I think "it's just a game" is a good phrase that discourages undesirable behavior and makes you think: what are you getting mad about, does getting mad help at all, and is it really worth it?

Also, Wobbles, is the scenario you described really like your classic example? You SD'd game 1 (meaning you could still win) vs SS in Loser's Semis, in a WC tournament, and your set went downhill from there. Not on the same level as last game last stock, GFs of a huge international tournament, crowd going wild for your opponent, right? Yet you still became very angry, even though I'm sure you've been that far in numerous tournaments just as large or larger. I don't think you thought this was "the culmination of your career". I don't think you thought you'll never get another chance to do something as impressive. I don't think you can call the time you spent on the game a "waste" just because you lost that one set. Many of the justifications in your post don't apply, but you still became very angry (I don't mean to personally attack you or offend you btw - you brought up the set yourself so I figured I'd go with it). Many of the circumstances don't apply as much to situations where YOU'VE gotten mad, so it can't be just about that. What's more, based on my observation people wouldn't make fun of rage in that situation - they make fun of people getting mad over lesser things. I'm guessing people making fun of MattDotZeb in the FC video thread spawned this thread. But he didn't get mad at losing anything remotely large, right?

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
To me, throwing a controller under any circumstance is disrespectful to your opponent and the community and maybe an obvious sign that you can't control your anger. But I can understand, and symphasize with him if he never does this, put's his all into the game, and constantlely wants to get better. But still, like everyone else said, hold that rage, shake hands and get out, THEN throw a tantrum. This community is to small to be having that kind of behavior, especially in nationales, same goes for the guy who won and all the people present, we should just complement what he achived until that point and forget it.
Mostly because like i said this community is too small and the game is gradually dieing, maybe when that guy that had an outburst read or herd everyone slam him for doing that, even after he apologized, maybe he stopped playing not because of that one loss but instead because of the "you suck ***" or "what a *****" behavior this community shows some times.

Now if your the kind of person that likes to talk **** every five seconds online, or IRL, then you should stop playing this game and move on to something else. Probably one of the other things that are annoying are good players that constantlely bash and tell who they beat that they suck ***, it's demoralizing and anger or resentment can be stored inside, the thing is lots of people are like that so that person will then hate the community too. Just what i think.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I think that expressing anger is healthy, and he didnt throw the controller at anubody, and the hate wasnt directed towards ss, it was towards errors. I think this kind of anger is what allows a competitor to get back up and say "that wont happen next time" and i admire that wobbles took time to explain this because I hate how many jokes happen about something that was already a bad experience for someone, and now they keep getting reminded of it.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I think that expressing anger is healthy, and he didnt throw the controller at anubody, and the hate wasnt directed towards ss, it was towards errors. I think this kind of anger is what allows a competitor to get back up and say "that wont happen next time" and i admire that wobbles took time to explain this because I hate how many jokes happen about something that was already a bad experience for someone, and now they keep getting reminded of it.
Everyone at that tourney is walking on eggshells after a controll being tossed. A thrown controller kills the mood at smashfests.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
hm first off i would like to say i really like your post wobbles. I have anger issues as well and sometimes i don't think it's fair to me because I have been "talked to" about controlling my anger. The only times I ever got angry were
1. If i were originally having a bad day and just playing bad = not trying anymore and no desire to play or talk. not a REAL outburst but i'd be frustrated obviously.
2. My friends would make fun of me and gang up on me just because I am a bit better. (i'm a 64 player and i mained link... his recovery is garbage) And the thing is, there's no one to play in Columbus so my friends would be the only people I would get to play and would literally never allow me a fair game. I've asked and they never do. All they would do is tell me how bad I was and blah blah blah and if I got angry then they would say i'm too immature to play a "child's game."

Now these are the only 2 times that i used to get frustrated and as you can see there is something that instigated my anger. However this is not a "john" because my anger did go wayyyy too far sometimes (i.e. i have so many broken things its not even funny) but i learned from these things. It's hard because some people, me included, have had very personal problems and i'm not asking for any sympathy or anything but there are too many times where suicide came into the picture. Obviously if I played someone in a tournament and got pissed, i'm not gonna say, "hey, i'm suicidal and depressed. You shouldn't be disrespectful when i get pissed." but I just want some people to know that just because someone is at a "friendly" tournament or something doesn't always mean that their life is awesome.

Well in present time, i'm doing pretty well in life and studying in college and stuff and if there is an outburst (which are very rare and its at most just dropping the controller and sighing), I would instantly just lighten up and say ggs and even strike up a conversation. Maybe I learned this from maturing from tennis(having to shake someone's hand even after a tough loss) but yea. Please at least don't be an ******* just because someone get's mad.

I'm in a hurry to write this so i'm not sure what i'm saying. willl edit later. Peace

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Everyone at that tourney is walking on eggshells after a controll being tossed. A thrown controller kills the mood at smashfests.

Well that unfortunetly can be the result of such things, what is one to do.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Eh. I semi-agree.

A bit of personal backstory. I used to rage at video games as a child. A lot. I would never throw/slam controllers (because I didn't want to break my ****), but I would get incredibly angry vocally, cry, and might punch a wall or something. And I HATED the fact that I did this, but I couldn't help it and I couldn't get rid of this during my childhood.

These days? I never get mad at video games. Ever. I probably haven't gotten remotely mad over one in perhaps 5 years (which is long because I'm quite young). And it's not that I'm repressing inner anger from becoming outwards. I legitimately don't feel any anger at all. Not a trace.

So basically, I learned to not be angry. It took me basically my entire childhood up to middle school, but I learned.

So I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I understand that it's hard to control for people who haven't learned to control their anger. But on the other hand, because of how it played out for me I can't help but perceive it as childish. To me, it feels like something you should have learned not to do by the time you're an adult, and it feels strange to see grown-*** men behave this way. I can feel sympathetic to people who feel that way, but I still think it should be discouraged.

I know at this point you're gonna say that I ignored your scenario and that it's more extreme in ultra mega GFs, dumb mistake on last stock of last game, all the time you spent on the game feels like a waste. I'll address this later.

Enormous zen master, huh? I think it's more about your rational side winning over your emotional side.

I mean, how have you "wasted all those hours practicing"? Does losing a tournament match mean you've lost all the progress you've gained from practice? Does losing a tournament mean you'll never get a chance to win one ever again? Were those hours you spent playing the game not fun, the reason you play the game in the first place? I'm speaking to you too, Wobbles. You made it sound like losing that big set means all the time you've spent on the game is wasted, and you'll never get a chance again, when this simply isn't true. I think "it's just a game" is a good phrase that discourages undesirable behavior and makes you think: what are you getting mad about, does getting mad help at all, and is it really worth it?

Also, Wobbles, is the scenario you described really like your classic example? You SD'd game 1 (meaning you could still win) vs SS in Loser's Semis, in a WC tournament, and your set went downhill from there. Not on the same level as last game last stock, GFs of a huge international tournament, crowd going wild for your opponent, right? Yet you still became very angry, even though I'm sure you've been that far in numerous tournaments just as large or larger. I don't think you thought this was "the culmination of your career". I don't think you thought you'll never get another chance to do something as impressive. I don't think you can call the time you spent on the game a "waste" just because you lost that one set. Many of the justifications in your post don't apply, but you still became very angry (I don't mean to personally attack you or offend you btw - you brought up the set yourself so I figured I'd go with it). Many of the circumstances don't apply as much to situations where YOU'VE gotten mad, so it can't be just about that. What's more, based on my observation people wouldn't make fun of rage in that situation - they make fun of people getting mad over lesser things. I'm guessing people making fun of MattDotZeb in the FC video thread spawned this thread. But he didn't get mad at losing anything remotely large, right?
The point of the example is to create a scenario that disproves a rule; that you are always a spoiled child acting out for no reason.

In my set against SS, I finished a few difficult loser's bracket matches, was at the end of my day, very tired, in a room full of people cheering every time anything happened even remotely positive for the other guy, and wouldn't have given a **** if I'd done the coolest combos of my career (which let's face it is a fact you deal with when playing against SS, unless you happen to also be Darkrain). The absolute last thing I wanted was to make big stupid mistakes in front of all those people. And so I made lots of them, and got extremely pissed, and got wrecked, and it hurt.

There is a REASON that I apologized to SS afterwards, and told him I thought he played well and that I wished I could have done better. It's not because I felt like I was totally justified that I made this thread, but because the kinds of criticism slung at me and MDZ can also be unjustified.

And yes, your present moment is the culmination of your career thus far. So... yeah. After several years of training and hard work, to botch it is very hurtful. For a number of reasons, I have not always dealt with it healthily. And no, it's not because I think I should always be #1 and that nobody ever makes mistakes and if I played my best I'd be #1 ezpz.

People take events like that and spread more hurt around thoughtlessly, without consideration. I'm against that kind of behavior as much as I'm against throwing controllers.

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
How am I wrong? A whole hell of a lot of matches can be blamed on technical flubbs, but not everyone throws their controller when they **** up an essential fundamental move/movement. And getting upset and emotional at yourself during a tourney for losing a match due to making mistakes when the other player probably made their fareshare as well doesn't seem respectful in the least to me.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
People are different, you cannot expect each human brain to react the same to the similar situations.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
People who perpetrated it? What? Wobbles, I was there when s2j beat you at NYTE and he did not start doing a victory dance or whatever. He just sat there and took a sip from his gallon of water while you were yelling and ****. What could've s2j done to prevent that?
Where does he say its the fault of the person who won? He was more saying that the people who are so quick to judge the person should take a step back first. The loser has a right to be upset, just as the winner has a right to be happy and celebrate as long as they give each other some respect.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
Wobbles said:
So when you get phrases like, "people who throw controllers are ********," this does not constitute mindless criticism? It doesn't say anything helpful to the person throwing it. It says nothing useful about the situation. It's an easy judgment to make, so people make it and don't care.
while harsh, no i don't think it's necessarily mindless b/c people will naturally draw upon their own experiences of being angry

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I'm guessing people making fun of MattDotZeb in the FC video thread spawned this thread. But he didn't get mad at losing anything remotely large, right?
To me it was large. First round of bracket at FC vs Kels -- a player I'd been hyped to play/beat since I've newly moved to the same city as him.

I'd played him on day1 in a MM and lost, but played a lot of friendlies and had close matches. Then day2 I found I had him in bracket and so I set myself to breaking down his playstyle, which I did and kept working out counters to what he does. I even went to bed early & woke up at 6am on day3 because I couldn't fall back asleep due to being hyped up for Kels, had a large breakfast even though I was so nervous to even eat (I was in the breakfast area for something like 45 minutes to an hour eating 2 plates of food), and was the first person (along with Kels and the Kishes) in the venue day3. We both talked about how nervous we were, but also how excited we were.

Basically, I did my utmost to prepare myself mentally and physically to beat Kels. I 3 stocked him convincingly game 1, and then took game 2 to last hit and ended it with a suicide dair that was never going to hit, followed by a counterpick to RC although he was obviously going to outspeed me on it (and he did and he 2 stocked me convincingly)

I put my all into it, and lost due to 3 factors -- two of which were my fault and were the main cause of me getting angry (as I mentioned in the other thread I direct a lot of my anger internally when I play this game and hold myself accountable for my faults to a larger extent than some others.)
A suicide dair that I was totally conscious of and pushed myself to do, although waiting on the stage and utilt -> bair/dair (or anything else, really) would have clinched the match.
Picking RC against my better judgement.
Kels outplaying me on RC.

I was broken after the loss, popped off a bit after, but all in all congratulated him and cheered him on in his next match. I was left with a mindset telling myself how bad I am, how I should never have done X and never have done Y. Telling myself how, after all the preparation I put into my set with him, I "gave it away" by making a very dumb mistake in game2 that cost me the chance for a 2-0. My mind was throwing itself around and beating me up as if I were in a hurricane.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I fought it. I know this mentality is hard to beat and does happen (to myself relatively frequently, as it is. Though I'm much better at controlling it and avoiding it than I had been as a younger player.) I made attempts to pull myself together and bring myself out of the negativity, but to no avail.

Then I played g$, and it didn't matter. I was done -- it didn't matter who I played in losers. At that point I was so defeated I was going to lose to anyone. After losing to g$ I didn't play for a few hours, and when I did I realized my controller wouldn't work. Though, even after calming down and whatnot, I could never bring myself to play anywhere near decent for the rest of the day (See: Losing a money match to The Good Doctor. *shudder*)

It was the first time I put that much of myself into trying to beat a player and then having the win and giving it away. On top of it all this happened at a national (Fun fact: I regularly make bracket at nationals but almost always go 0-2. I'd hoped to change that at FC), and doubled as my first showing in the Midwest.

So, yes, I broke my controller. I laugh about it now. But everything you've just read is why. Even still that loss continues to impact my game and mindset when I play.

<3 Kels though, he's a great player. It was, and still is, a good learning experience for me. I'll get the fight back into me for Big House 2 and try to take him down again.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
How am I wrong? A whole hell of a lot of matches can be blamed on technical flubbs, but not everyone throws their controller when they **** up an essential fundamental move/movement. And getting upset and emotional at yourself during a tourney for losing a match due to making mistakes when the other player probably made their fareshare as well doesn't seem respectful in the least to me.
Well for starters, you did the exact thing I criticized and made a mindless generalization without taking into account an individual's mindset.

"EVERY player who rages is failing to acknowledge that the opponent makes mistakes too."

It's disrespectful to be upset at yourself? There are exactly two people responsible for the outcome of a match; you and your opponent (four in doubles, I guess) If you make big dumb errors, and you are upset at yourself... this somehow devalues the other guy's efforts? It is what it is, frustration at one's poor performance.

I make positional errors and poor judgments in some matches. You don't see me throwing my controller after getting manhandled by Dr. PP at APEX 2012. I was pretty down on myself because I knew that I was getting flustered and taking big haymaker swings without thinking... but I shook his hand and walked away and thought about it and cooled off pretty quickly. Then I played HBox, because KirbyKaze is a bracket-wrecking *******, and THAT also left me feeling down because I felt very powerless. I did a dejected little hat-throw, after that one. Feeling unhappy about not being up to my opponent's level is disrespectful, maybe?

I acknowledge that my opponent makes errors. Good plays - minus mistakes +/- unforeseen factors = how well I do. If that's better than the other guy, I win. That's how the game works.

Certain mistakes in particular really set me off. And I understand completely if the other guy is pissed in a similar situation. If I get a zero to death chaingrab off a missed wavedash, I would not be surprised OR offended if the other guy was incredibly unhappy.

My opponent is free to emotionally evaluate his own mistakes however he pleases. Personally, I evaluate mine extremely critically, more than is healthy.

Your statement is an inaccurate assessment, and it also proves my point that you overgeneralize me, MDZ, and anybody else who has ever had emotional issues during a match. You might be right in some cases. But as a blanket statement, what you said is completely off the mark.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
[this post was personal and may be disrespectful to some people, and frankly, did not contribute to discussion, sorry for wasting everyone's time]

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Having emotions is a GOOD thing. People tend to put positive associations with things that make other people feel good (joy, sadness, excitement) and negative ones to emotions that hurt other people's feelings (anger).

If you're saying someone can't get mad, then you're saying he can't be human.

It's only a problem if a person can't control his emotions. If he gets so angry that he turns to his opponent and punches him in the face, then yes it's behavior that should be punished. But you can't disapprove of a guy expressing his frustration and rage if that's how he truly feels.

NNID
dansalvato
If hypothetically I did win a tournament, my approach will be to throw a compliment to them about their main, a compliment for being able to make it so far, and if they didn't get so far.....I'll compliment them for trying their best. I would also throw a compliment to them and respect them for being here, helping the community grow. A lot of people wanna learn how to play the game good but don't have that confidence to go to tournaments and play in front of people because they feel that they'll fools of themselves or choke while playing. But yea.... thats how I'll approach x3

As for me if I was too lose, I take every lost as a opportunity to see my flaws.
When you're fighting for a couple grand, your planned approach might end up being thrown out the window.

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
You are looking into my comment way too deeply I think, solely to pick it apart. If I capitalized it then sure, but I think you understand that I didn't mean "EVERY GODDAMN PLAYER". But if you win a big match off of a technical flub why should your opponent just get a "Get out of jail mad" pass because they had a 50/50 chance of winning before the mistake? You played the previous part of the match well, but your opponent has undermined it by not being respectful after the match. But you're right, I apologize for my phrasing. But it's hard to say as every situation is different. I agree that we shouldn't be calling people names for their emotional reactions. This is a really cool thread, good job Wobbles.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
" I don't always flip out. I do sometimes, because I have emotional issues, and when I make long strings of fundamental errors that completely shut down my ability to play (in a game that I love and want to succeed at, giving more ammo to people who believe I'm not actually"

To be honest, everyone has issues and everyone is struggling.

Lot of what you post sounds very familiar to me.

Perhaps we can discuss about effective strategies regarding dealing with negative emotions when playing Melee?

Meditation anyone?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Perhaps we can discuss about effective strategies regarding dealing with negative emotions when playing Melee?

Meditation anyone?
Most of what helps me is to understand what I go through when I'm in a negative mindset and what kinds of thoughts/actions I have that lead up to the onset of a negative mindset via experience and educating myself on habits and portions of psychology.

Situational anger is a reaction that is learned and chiseled into your brain as a habit. Something at some point in your life happened that caused you to be angry at smash or another video game (or maybe not even a videogame). Then the situation or a similar one occurred again and anger was your response.

Eventually it became your default response, and it boils down to a basic idea of habits. In Smash (and life in general) you need to routinely break yourself of habits and replace them with better (<-- subjective) ones. The simplest way to do that is to go through a cycle of cues, routines, and rewards.

Using myself as an example:

Cue - Losing a match that I "shouldn't lose" because I played sub par to my expectations.
Routine - Hitting a controller off the floor.
Reward - Venting frustration.

The issue here is that I want to vent and have made my means of doing so throwing a controller. So I need to attempt to change the routine so that I receive the same reward from the same cue. Something like walking outside with someone and asking them to talk about anything other than Melee, or even to give a pep talk (although to my understanding it's best to avoid the subject matter that provided the frustration) can assist in giving the same reward.

Changing the cue is also possible, because in terms of emotional habits the cue is partially a conscious mental thought that sets the routine into action. I'm not too sure on that as I haven't read as much into this area of habitual responses as I have other kinds of habits (So please if I'm wrong in this part, or any of this, call me out!)

There are things such as keystone habits which spill into other aspects of life. An example of this being the habit of exercise such as running, cycling, or lifting. Building a habit of running, eating well, or anything that can physiologically change you tend to lead people onto the 'right path' and provide an easier time in terms of changing other habits. Emotionally triggered responses are difficult to break, but it is possible through changing keystone habits. I encourage anyone to look more into this, and recommend the book The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg to help further your understanding of habits.

Also, try smiling when you're down. It'll make you happy.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
Smashers are pretty tame/respectful if you ask me. I've seen/heard of a lot of sponsored pro players in other games do crazy stuff like throw chairs, hit people, and 25+ year olds swear and trash talk at the top of their lungs and just plain be mean to people, even people they beat easily.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
i straight up cannot believe how anyone could, or even have enough frustration to throw a controller forcibly. If someone seriously cannot take a defeat, whether it be because you were outplayed or yourself underplaying, and shrug it off, they borderline do not even deserve to be playing the game.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
i straight up cannot believe how anyone could, or even have enough frustration to throw a controller forcibly. If someone seriously cannot take a defeat, whether it be because you were outplayed or yourself underplaying, and shrug it off, they borderline do not even deserve to be playing the game.
Smash Apprentice

It is okay, young apprentice. One day you shall understand.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Smash Apprentice

It is okay, young apprentice. One day you shall understand.
the point, mainly, was that in the end melee IS just a game. facts are facts: if you lose a set, its obvious, at least representing from that set that if you lose, your opponent must be better than you at that given time. regardless of SD's, stupid mistakes, poor DI, your opponent obviously did LESS of that in order to win. there's a concept called 'no johns' i think we are all quite familiar. losing is losing.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Poor gamesmanship should be frowned upon in this community. Certain people have a track record of johning, not acknowledging that SOMEHOW they got outplayed, that technical flubs and day-to-day variance in how well you're playing DO factor into how good of a player you are overall. The community doesn't necessarily treat these people properly. But at the end of the day, the onus is on YOU to get better about it or take a step back from the game and re-evaluate yourself.

If you've had an isolated incident or two, and you're still getting **** about it, let the haters hate.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Yknow honestly, I see a lotta rage moments being inspired by atmosphere as well. The best example is how some of the california crews act, I wont specifically call them out by name because that's unnecessary drama...but I think they know who they are. A lot of this community can outright act like a buncha loudmouth teeny kids, and the way they treat some players because they're not ****riding that specific person is just downright immature and disrespectful. It's too easy to get caught in the hype and just totally disregard how someone feels. For example, when I used to do gamestop tournaments (before they started screwing with the rules for people who hated losing and enforced items) I always played with the people afterwards and told them what they did wrong to help them, they usually greatly appreciated help in getting better.

Another thing, thats one reason of many (main one being that i dont have money for it) why I dont travel for tournaments anymore. If I had some ******* screaming "YEAAA SON YEAA SON GET BODIED HURR HURR U MAD UMAD GET BODIED SON SO SALT SO SALT YEAA HURR" right in my ear, I'd probably get mad too. I'd feel like I wasted money and time travelling to a tournament just to have some fool scream internet memes in my face. It's just stupid the way some people act, and no one should have to put up with it. Whether you wanna john for the way you act by saying inane crap like "YOU JUST CANT TAKE THE PRESSURE HURR" Or not, there IS no excuse.

That being said, and issues with some of the community aside... My piece on this is it's all about self control and mental conditioning. Either you conduct yourself well and control yourself or you dont. Pressure to win is one thing, but just outright raging is wrong. Conduct yourself like a human being and be respectful and keep in mind at all times that you're not at home. That's one thing that I think most people forget is, they get so into the zone...so focused on the match they're playing that they forget where they are. Comfort zone and mental conditioning have a lot to do with it in general.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Yknow honestly, I see a lotta rage moments being inspired by atmosphere as well.
So true the crowd is odee sometimes. I was watching EVO and I heard them chanting CULERO!!! [which means "a**hole" in english] to some spanish dude if I remember correctly.

Rollz

Smash Apprentice
I'm cool with people throwing controllers after an upset. As long as it's not my controller and it isn't damaging other stuff(wall,tv,picture,etc). I understand how frustrating it can be to lose a match tight from the start due to something bs. I used to get mad myself, but now I just secondary Kirby.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Uhm... A lot of you talk about outbusts as though they are the player not admiting that they were outplayed...
Thats not always the case...
Usually, for me, its frustration with my own lack of improvement...
No johns are made.
I'm simply angry with myself.

I'm sure other people feel the same way.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
yo all the ***** ****ies in here need to stfu and stop bleeding between their legs. this is smash baby, if u wanna rage, rage hard as *** as long as ur not hurting another person(unless ur slapping m2k, this is fine). Real talk, i wanna see more rage after losing in this game, people just dont care like they used to. I saw Eddie rip his controller apart with his bare hands, **** was epic rage.

moral of the story, **** all these weak *** *****s, rage as hard as you want, people deal with defeat in different ways.

wobbles, stop tryin to be ****ing dr. phil, next time dont go emo and not play in fc.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
<3 trail.
your posts make me smile :)

maybe thats because I read them in the voice of Samuel L Jackson...

Battlecow

Play to Win
A truly unnecessary number of words
I don't think you're qualified to use personal experience as an argument against wobbles to quite the extent you did. You think wobbles rages every time he loses a friendly against his little brother or whatever?

he'd practiced really hard, driven/flew a long way, and gotten far in a tournament. Comparing that to you throwing a fit in elementary school is just insulting; it's not remotely the same thing. If you'd ever entered a tournament or played any sort of high-pressure match with dozens of spectators, your reaction after a tight loss would be relevant to the discussion.

S0FT

Smash Ace
Responding emotionally within competitions has been around forever. A huge example is in poker and they even created a word for it... Tilt. Wobbles and MatDotZeb if this is something yall are still suffering from then I highly recommend this book by Jared Tendler. Obviously it is aimed toward poker players mental problems, but what is taught in it applies to so many areas.

http://jaredtendlerpoker.com/thementalgameofpoker/

These are a few of the thing discussed in the book if anyone is interested.

The adult learning method:

Four stages to learning something:

Unconscious Incompetence
- We don't know what we don't know
Conscious Incompetence
- We realize what we are lacking
Conscious Competence
- We now understand and can preform the action or skill but have to be thinking about it the whole time
Unconscious Competence
- We can now preform without even thinking about it

An example would be driving a car. When we are young we don't even know about it. Then when we are around 12 we realize that we lack the ability to drive a car. When we first start driving it we have to focus the entire time. Now that we have been driving for a while we can listen to music or talk to people and be fine.

The theory is that Unconscious Competence is on the first level of our brain and that emotions are the second level and that Conscious Competence is on the third level. So whether or not we become emotional we can always preform skills or actions that we truly know (Unconscious Competence), but when our emotions activate, the second layer prohibits the third layer from functioning and it becomes impossible to practice Conscious Competence. (When you are angry at someone and you know that you shouldn't be yelling at them but you can't stop yourself and still do)

When this happens you realize what level of the Adult Learning method you are on.

This book also discuss the inchworm theory and talks about dealing with emotions, but not in a way where you are trying to get rid of them (we are not robots, we are emotional beings) but a way that benefits us.

It is a very good read and I would highly recommend it.

(I may not have summarized everything perfectly, I also am not saying whether all of this is true or not, I am just stating what I felt the book was trying to communicate)

Top Bottom