• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

Skrlx

Smash Champion
how do you dash, pivot turn around? as in initial dashing one direction, instantly turning around at the end of dash animation...like specific joystick movement...because it doens't seem to work like melee where u tap down to pivot then tilt the other direction to turn around
You simply move the joystick left and right quickly and let the stick neutralize by itself for pivoting to the left. And for pivoting to the right do the same thing except you move right and left quickly and let it neutralize by itself.

Well that's how it is for me anyways...

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
how do you dash, pivot turn around? as in initial dashing one direction, instantly turning around at the end of dash animation
Smash the joystick in the direction of the dash.
Then tilt the joystick in the opposite direction to pivot at the end of the dash.

It's easier than it sounds, I find it harder in Melee.

You can use the dash pivot to edgehog in this game, it's hard with a lot of the characters though. Luigi, Falcon and Fox do it fairly easily

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Maybe this isn't what was meant by "terms," but I've been wondering about a couple of them.

TAS - what does it stand for, what is it?

0-to-death combos - what does that mean? Is it that the opponent is at 0% when it starts and dead when it ends, is that it?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Maybe this isn't what was meant by "terms," but I've been wondering about a couple of them.

TAS - what does it stand for, what is it?

0-to-death combos - what does that mean? Is it that the opponent is at 0% when it starts and dead when it ends, is that it?
TAS: Tool Assisted Superplay or Tool Assisted Speedun

Tool Assisted Superplay: Using a system or hacks....as in action replay to play the game at a full potential. See this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijT6oKt0PA or "Perfect Control" from melee. This is done by slowing the game down to frame by frame (I think there are 60 frames per second) and then editing it to full speed. It takes a long time to make every TAS video.

Or as described on tavideos.org
"This run was made on an emulator, with slow speeds, frame-by-frame shooting, and re-recordings. It is not meant to show skill, but rather the game pushed to its limits, because it is purely a form of entertainment"

One note: It is possible to play a game as well as a TAS but you would need incredibly fast hands and an incredible amount of predictability.

Tool Assisted Speedun: Same as a Superplay, just used to beat an entire game really quickly or in a flashy style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3E-...FDFB4E033&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3 See this

0 to death combo: a combo....from 0 percent....to death :)

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
A "true" 0-to-death in SSB64 means that at no point during the combo is it possible for the victim to do anything other than DI. This included teching/jumping/up+B/attacking/grabbing the ledge.

This "true" combo doesn't really happen much in Melee or Brawl (unless you're Chudat or Wobbles). In these games, a 0-to-death usually just refers to continuously attacking the opponent from 0% to death without being hit.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I didn't see it in the main list and I really don't want to read 30 pages to find out if anyone else has asked... How do you go straight through a platform when you're falling?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Has anyone here seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBfiEuzYAc

It seems to be drop cancelling.
Seems to work for everyone except Link.
It's TAS since it's hard to do.
Here's an excerpt from the description.

"SSB64 has also its own version of DC. The main difference with Melee being that it needs the use of diagonal/rising platforms to work.

How to do it:
1) Dash for 3 frames or more across a platform that slopes down.
2) Press Z (shield button) for 1 frame.
3) Next frame, smash the analog stick down ↓ while still pressing Z.
4) Inmediately do an aerial (a fast one like Nair will do the trick).
5) Z-cancel the aerial. Lighter characters will be able to instantly move after the attack (no landing lag).

Useful for continuing combos, edgeguarding, or even for disorientating your opponent with a surprising attack. It can also break shields, but would take too much technical skill (the reason of why I chose to show this possibility with tool assistance).

There is another part of DC which involves the use of rising platforms. I may do that as a separate video (most people already know about it anyway).

Can be done in all versions of smash, (A) Link being the only character unable to do it due to poor horizontal speed in air.

Tool assisted for demonstration. "

TANK64

Smash Lord
I really tried to read the 30pgs, but I gave up. So if this has been discussed- sorry.

Character specific:

Fox's "moonwalk" for lack of a better word. It can be used to edge hog very quickly
- or just used to spaz around after you kill someone. (even more important, lol):chuckle:
You just need a ledge, and enough room to run. (everywhere in Hyrule)
It can be done with or without an edgegrab, and with or without fast fall.
Oh and it's super easy- it should be on the list
It essentially is a moonwalk- but it has to be done during your running animation-not your initial dash.
This is the opposite of Melee- where it must be during your initial dash.:psycho:

This video has one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C_CJG98JNY

by the way- bad*$$ list. I'm happy to see that sex kick made the cut. :p

*Oh, and Changing direction in midair (B-Canceling) isn't character specific.
although some need it to turn around and return to the stage
others use it more on-stage. Example: Fox's Lazer-cancel
You just have to hold the direction while pressing B.
Unlike Melee where holding the direction means fail, and usually certain death. (forward-B)
So be careful when switching back and forth if you play Fox, Falco, or Falcon in Melee.

Adaptoid in the mail- See you online soon. (checking the mail is so nerve racking)

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Adaptoid in the mail- See you online soon. (checking the mail is so nerve racking)
Did you get a legitimate Adaptoid, or one of those other adapters that just call themselves "Adaptoid" ??

If you found it easily and paid under 60 bucks, it's not a real Adaptoid
But no worries, I played with XBOX360 controller for a while, then got my N64-USB adapter working which is probably similar to the one you're waiting for in the mail, and now I play with that just fine, no issues. See you online indeed!

And btw, go p2p.... **** EGX, don't even bother going there.
Add me on MSN or AIM when you get on, need more eager players. Lots of lazy people lately

SheerMadness

Smash Master
lol Daed don't be such a downer to new online players.

I have 1 of those $12 playstation/n64 adapters and it works perfectly fine.

I also play on EGX which I have no problem with. EGX is great for finding people to p2p with too. And if my Yoshi can function on EGX at 5 frames anyone can get used to it.

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
i suggest to redo this
you should place the techs in alphabetical order and add more

descending up b
dash pivot
jab jail
pivot jab jail
dash pivot edgehoging
inf grab
dive cancel
dash braking
shielding platform drop

adding these should be a good idea.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I have 1 of those $12 playstation/n64 adapters and it works perfectly fine.
yea mine was definitely like $12, so I hope it works

wow- now I really am freaked out
you guys do suck at welcoming people, lol

anyways, see you online soon........I think?:confused:

----oh and Sheer, I've heard stories about your Yoshi. Ditto?
I've gotten better since my vid.
Hopefully I won't get ***** too bad:p

rpotts

Smash Lord
yea mine was definitely like $12, so I hope it works

wow- now I really am freaked out
you guys do suck at welcoming people, lol

anyways, see you online soon........I think?:confused:

----oh and Sheer, I've heard stories about your Yoshi. Ditto?
I've gotten better since my vid.
Hopefully I won't get ***** too bad:p
Sheer's Yoshi is amazing, i played him today on Kaillera and got completely pwned. I think he either 4 or 5 stocked my falcon, which isn't saying all that much, I'm not very good. But he comboed the **** out of me. Between excellent DJCing, shieldbreaking, ftilt -> fair spike and techchasing, he kicked my ***. Good game btw.

D

Deleted member

Sheer's Yoshi is amazing, i played him today on Kaillera and got completely pwned. I think he either 4 or 5 stocked my falcon, which isn't saying all that much, I'm not very good. But he comboed the **** out of me. Between excellent DJCing, shieldbreaking, ftilt -> fair spike and techchasing, he kicked my ***. Good game btw.
edit: i changed my mind

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
As in mashing "A" until you do a move to break out of a combo? Because that doesn't seem to work too well vs you, s2j, kef, boom, fireblaster..........
Because this game houses so many true combos, mashing A rarely works unless they screw up...trying to DI is probably better to see if it throws off their spacing.

D

Deleted member

Tech in place, initial dash to shield to jump away

Or tech and just run

Skrlx

Smash Champion
here's a tip when you're sent flying(and you're mario or luigi) and your opponent is racing towards you don't tech simply do a uair.

Pav7300

Smash Apprentice
If I am getting drilled (no homo) should I be smash DI or slide DI to move in-out of the drill? How about during a Uair chain or utilt chain?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
With Falcon, you should DI towards him during an U-Air chain. Theoretically, if done well enough, it can force him to miss the next U-Air, and instead do a N-Air or something. I guess a fastfall would solve this, but the chances someone can adapt so quickly are slim.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
With Falcon, you should DI towards him during an U-Air chain. Theoretically, if done well enough, it can force him to miss the next U-Air
Only theoretically, when in fact in reality it's best to DI away from Falcon, as DIing towards seems to just make his combos easier and make stuff like triple usmashes possible...

I guess a fastfall would solve this, but the chances someone can adapt so quickly are slim.
Good players can adapt to good DI. Watch Boom's Falcon aganst Isai's hax DI in the newer matches on Malva's channel

firo

Smash Ace
DI is something that really depends on the specific character and percentage. Light characters can DI upward to get out of a lot of aerial chains, or something like falcon's up smashes. Heavier ones can often DI away and down, or towards and down. I guess to answer your original question, assuming that you are using a n64 controller, is that slide DI will give you more flexibility and is more effective than trying to smash just one direction.

Pav7300

Smash Apprentice
Alright and the big question; when slide di'ing, how should I move the stick to get the full extent? (I guess using an example works best). I read its like doing the haduken, but at the same time I got the idea into my head that you start and stop at a different spot than a haduken. If someone can post a pick with arrows of a controller, that would kick ***.

D

Deleted member

Alright and the big question; when slide di'ing, how should I move the stick to get the full extent? (I guess using an example works best). I read its like doing the haduken, but at the same time I got the idea into my head that you start and stop at a different spot than a haduken. If someone can post a pick with arrows of a controller, that would kick ***.
There's two different good ways to do it

1. Mash one direction repeatedly using amazing thumb strength

pros:
- great with quick hands, you can smash DI super far
- pretty easy to control

cons:

- for most people, really hard to DI a direction other than right
- your stick gets *****

2. Move the stick to diagonal positions quickly (for example: top left to bottom left to top left very fast to move left)

pros:

- requires less effort (?) for virtually same results as method 1

cons:

- not as much "control" compared to method 1

-your stick still gets ***** but not as hard

I use method 1

Pav7300

Smash Apprentice
There's two different good ways to do it

1. Mash one direction repeatedly using amazing thumb strength

pros:
- great with quick hands, you can smash DI super far
- pretty easy to control

cons:

- for most people, really hard to DI a direction other than right
- your stick gets *****

2. Move the stick to diagonal positions quickly (for example: top left to bottom left to top left very fast to move left)

pros:

- requires less effort (?) for virtually same results as method 1

cons:

- not as much "control" compared to method 1

-your stick still gets ***** but not as hard

I use method 1
Alright, that's what I was assuming you had to do. Yea, I do method one but with ps3 controller I do it either way.

Top Bottom