• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Ya, i wuv that tech :D

meh i can't use it much though on actual people, my online is laggy as ****, and no1 i know wants to play me cuz i always beat him :/

Ya, s2j, it would work well with Fox and C.P. :)

D

Deleted member

you are tumbling

you tech

and do a wave shield

against people who aren't really good its a good escape technique

also very good online

D

Deleted member

It's literally just

dash and shield

but very appliable

maybe I should start making vids again

Lovage

Smash Hero
yes the dash shield is a super secret socal TECH

question
how exactly does aerial falcon punch work...like why does it make you go higher? and is it best to hold UP during falcon punch? or UP+TOWARDS. also how long do you have to hold it?

Lovage

Smash Hero
so all that matters is that you falcon punch immediately after double jumping? you don't have to hold a direction while falcon punching?

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Holding up doing a falcon punch actually does something? I never hold up, I just punch immediately after my double jump (I hold right if I'm recovering to the right though), and I haven't seen a difference in recovery distance.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
i meant a vid that uses the shield dash thing in a game... i'm not sure when i would use it so i wanted to see a vid

D

Deleted member

I'm still too lazy to make vids but its great to tech and shield dash so you either don't get hit, get your shield hit but they are too far away to punish

or you can use it to go underneath the opponent if htey are short hop attacking in some cases

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
tech cancel is pretty useful too
aerial attack before landing after being hit to avoid having to tech

makes counterattacking a lot faster

shields :

a lot of stuff can be done with shielding

edgeshielding (name by s2j)
shield platform drop
Dash braking (name by Peek)
Shield redirecting

and im probably forgetting a few

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I'll do some testing soon on these dash ones...hopefully soon. I have my N64 hooked up to my downstairs TV, but my parents want me to study SAT... :urg:
When's this list going to be updated? Wenbobular's been studying for the SAT since forever

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I cut the thread down to size. This should probably help spiff up the most visited thread on this forum. Just copy and paste, I guess. Give credit to everyone I listed.

---
Generally Usable
---

Jab: Use of a weak attack to deter an enemy's attack/cancel a projectile.

Shield Dash: Dash and shield. You slide a little with your shield.

Angled Attacks: Angling a F-Tilt or F-Smash with the Control Stick to give it a raised/lowered hitbox. May change hitstun, shieldstun, knockback of the original unangled move.

Charge Cancel: When DK/Samus are charging their Neut B, press Z to cancel it. DK can cancel fully charged punches as well. Pressing left/right during the charging animation makes you dodge roll left/right respectively.

Shield Jump: The basis of Up-B/Up-Smash out of shield. You can jump out of your shield. Yeah.

Shield Drop: Shielding on a drop-through platform, then dropping. Useful mid-dash to drop faster, rather than having to stop.

Low Shield: Holding down while shielding to lower the shield. Stops some low shield pokes.

Sliding Turnaround edgehog: Running and turning as you reach the edge to fall off facing the edge and ledgehogging. Not doable with all characters.
Link's Up-B Turnaround edgehog: Same thing plus a Spin Attack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E82TNOFtkz0

Infinite Throw Trap: Grab someone with DK, and let them wiggle out. Then grab them again. It comes down to your reaction time vs. theirs.

Epic Turn Slide: Japanese version only. Doable with DK, Yoshi, Fox, Jiggs, Kirby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gCsn4EXpIQ

Keyboard Hax Smash DI: Lol. Spam direction key, get out of combo.

---
Character Specific
---

Mario Bros. Up-B Angling: Hold forward while using Coin Jump Punch/Fire Jump Punch to move further forward. Hold B without direction to move further upwards.

Yoshi's DJC Ledgegrab: Jump off, do whatever, then reverse and double-jump. You can grab the edge if done right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91hVs34-LCc

B-Move Ledgehog: Cancel a B move into a ledgehog. Works with Ness's PK Thunder and PSI Magnet and Yoshi's Ground Pound and Egg Throw.

Teleport: Jiggs and Samus (and Fox, less noticeable) only. Enter a full dash, turn around then jump to get a 'warp' effect forward. You can use an aerial/B move right out of this technique.

Link's Bomb Recovery: When off the ledge, pull out a bomb during your double jump, lightly throw it under you, then B-Air to hit it. You end up facing away from the edge, so usefulness is limited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03K-CcYBgTw (Also shows 2x DI)

Kirby's Pivot Sliding Up-B: Found by House. To do it: Dash, wait for it to finish which is about 14 frames, turn, then do an Up+B 20 frames after you decided to do so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-njd578Aws

SHDL: Short hop double laser (Fox and Kirby with Fox laser). Involves shooting two (or three in Kirby's case) lasers in a single short hop. First laser usually goes too high, second should hit most foes. Useful for camping, approaches, etc
FHTL: Full hop triple laser.
DJQL: Double jump quad laser. Yeah, I made this one up.

Falcon's Rising Punch: Use of the Falcon Punch as you use your second jump to gain slight vertical and noticeable horizontal distance.

Falling Punch/Pound: Falcon Punch/Pound angled downwards. Sorta useless outside novelty use.

PK Thunder 2: Directing Ness's PK Thunder into him for a lengthy recovery. Very predictable, but still a staple of Ness play.

---
General - TAS/Very difficult to implement/silly
---

Drop Cancel: TAS only, really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBfiEuzYAc

Taunt Cancel 2: Press Z to cancel certain taunts mid-taunt and go into a shield. Mario's springs to mind.

---
Character Specific - TAS/Very difficult to implement
---

Falcon Dive Cancel: Cancelling Falcon's Up-B. TAS stuff, but doable with lots and lots of practice, I guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSXStr1DQ9Q

Ness DJC Rush: Pretty new tech, rapidly timed DJCs boost Ness's speed greatly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqnHJh7Qyag

Ledge Teleport Feint: Jiggs/Samus only, Fox's isn't long enough, AFAIK. Teleport off a ledge and move back to land back on the ledge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEHfk71_HO0

---

These two should help the Tier section (which atm has no links, as far as I can see)

Tier List
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=250563

Tier Discussion
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241670

---

Credit should be given to: Moogle, Platinum Kirby, ant-d, rokimomi, Lovage, Sensei, others who I forget :\

Almost purely re-interpretation. Some was basic stuff, forgotten for some reason.

DMoogle

A$
Few things:

Jab is also used to combo into a grab.
You mention Falcon's rising punch but not Jiggly's. Might be because everyone here knows about Jiggly's. :p
Falling punch/pound can occasionally be useful when using the punch/pound as an attack and not just for recovery.
I think in the Japanese version you can use Link's bomb recovery with an up-b. I'm pretty sure I saw it in a video in one of Isai's older matches vs. Japanese players.
Might want to mention how useful DK's charge (+cancel) is in the air for extremely quick turning around.

Also when you mention "Moogle" in the credits do you mean me or the well-known Moogle that was here a few years ago?

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
I think in the Japanese version you can use Link's bomb recovery with an up-b. I'm pretty sure I saw it in a video in one of Isai's older matches vs. Japanese players.
If you mean taking out a bomb, jumping and throwing the bomb, then hit the bomb with an Up+b - that can be done in the American version as well. I was testing with it a few months ago. I came to the conclusion that both bomb recoveries are about equal in terms of recovery, but the one that everyone knows is a lot easier to do.

TANK64

Smash Lord
A) DK's Turn around should be mentioned as it is beastly (although every character's can be good)
B) Fox's Moonwalk to aerial/edgegrab. I thought about it, and maybe I wasn't clear before. It is Not a Pivot

C) Angling Fox's Up-B to make it shorter, is that worth entering? Given somethings added already, I think so.

D) You're NOT Moogle?....... This changes everything.

E) I'll try posting videos later today (of B and C) if people aren't clear

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Moonwalk to edgegrab sounds like what the Dash pivot edgehog looks like, but I assume it is not the same. I've never heard of moonwalking in this game.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by (C). Are you just saying angled upBs go a shorter distance than absolute direction upBs?

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
It's not moonwalking. I don't know what the official name is, but it's just something like 'run turnaround', you dash and keep dashing until you can't dashdance, then you try to dash the other way and your char turns around slowly, making him able to grab the edge.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yea like I said ( when I posted it some pages back), "Fox's Moonwalk...For lack of better words."
Your description pretty much sums it up though. I also call it that, because I use the same joystick movement as the moonwalk in Melee. If I'm grabbing the right edge I run right, then move left, then right and downward. Being able to do this with Fox, outclasses the pivot in every way except one: Being able to do it very close to the edge, if needing to react fast with an edgehog:ohwell:. However when running across the level, after forward smashing your opponent, a "moonwalk" bair or edgehog to finish them off is very useful. It also gives you good horizontal speed and distance (If you don't fast fall).:)

TANK64

Smash Lord
Moonwalk to edgegrab sounds like what the Dash pivot edgehog looks like, but I assume it is not the same. I've never heard of moonwalking in this game.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by (C). Are you just saying angled upBs go a shorter distance than absolute direction upBs?
About Fox's "Moonwalk"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDcG1sBMLOI

and by (C) I meant against a stage, or wall, when getting back (forgot to mention that lol)- as opposed to trying to sweet spot normally. I can make a super basic instructional again! :chuckle:. eeeeh I probably will anyways , it's for the good of the new players.

Oh and S2Js, I'm not trying to compete with your instructionals lol.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Few things:

Jab is also used to combo into a grab.
You mention Falcon's rising punch but not Jiggly's. Might be because everyone here knows about Jiggly's. :p
Falling punch/pound can occasionally be useful when using the punch/pound as an attack and not just for recovery.
Might want to mention how useful DK's charge (+cancel) is in the air for extremely quick turning around.

Also when you mention "Moogle" in the credits do you mean me or the well-known Moogle that was here a few years ago?
Jab cancels and Jiggs' rising pound are already in the first post. This is meant to be an update to the post, since Wenbo seems to be studying and can't do much about it (and I know what that's like).

The Moogle mentioned was the other moogle...but you might be in the list of people I forgot :p

Like I said, it's purely shortening the discussion and taking out the TAS bits, then adding some really basic stuff. This is, after all, a thread for newcomers to look at, among other things.

Top Bottom