• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Sure. I'm not sure what you mean though...don't they have separate articles for individual techniques?

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I have it set to "People can view this item without signing in. " It should be viewable just like Antd's Google spreadsheets are.

DMoogle

A$
Very thorough document, dch111. Few things though:

1. I think the section on sandbagging is fairly inaccurate. Sandbagging is playing sub-optimally (playing optimally meaning playing the person's best), but not necessarily poorly. In a sense, any time you choose a character that you don't think has the maximum chance of winning, you're sandbagging (albeit that's a weak form of it). The two most popular reasons people sandbag BY FAR are (not necessarily in this order):
a: To learn new strategies/techniques/combos.
b: To make a more interesting/fun match (because the match should be closer, and you get into situations where you can surprise someone... and yourself).
Oh yeah, and anyone who sandbags to trick his opponent into thinking he's worse than he actually is, with the intention of making more money later, is nothing more than a ****ing hustler.

2. The metagame definition describes how people incorrectly use the word, but not what it actually means. I suppose you could argue that it has a new definition though... it means taking psychological (external) factors into account when making in-game (internal) decisions. I can expand on this if you want me to.

3. I also call the green tent area "The Pit." :p

4. Some people call dittos "mirror matches."

5. I would define a John as any excuse for losing other than an acknowledgment of a skill gap.

6. You should add that the difference between a slanted jump and a standing jump is greater than a stick jump and a C jump.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Very thorough document, dch111. Few things though:

1. I think the section on sandbagging is fairly inaccurate. Sandbagging is playing sub-optimally (playing optimally meaning playing the person's best), but not necessarily poorly. In a sense, any time you choose a character that you don't think has the maximum chance of winning, you're sandbagging (albeit that's a weak form of it). The two most popular reasons people sandbag BY FAR are (not necessarily in this order):
a: To learn new strategies/techniques/combos.
b: To make a more interesting/fun match (because the match should be closer, and you get into situations where you can surprise someone... and yourself).
Oh yeah, and anyone who sandbags to trick his opponent into thinking he's worse than he actually is, with the intention of making more money later, is nothing more than a ****ing hustler.

2. The metagame definition describes how people incorrectly use the word, but not what it actually means. I suppose you could argue that it has a new definition though... it means taking psychological (external) factors into account when making in-game (internal) decisions. I can expand on this if you want me to.

3. I also call the green tent area "The Pit." :p

4. Some people call dittos "mirror matches."

5. I would define a John as any excuse for losing other than an acknowledgment of a skill gap.

6. You should add that the difference between a slanted jump and a standing jump is greater than a stick jump and a C jump.
Thanks for the input.

1. I took the sandbagging definition straight from smash wiki http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Sandbagging . I do think sandbagging is playing poorly on purpose-and is pretty much hustling as you put it (before it became trendy to use it jokingly). That's what sandbagging pretty much means in every other use of the word as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbagging

2. Yeah this term is really iffy and I'm not sure if I'll really keep it in the corrected edition, but I believe psychological factors are popularly referred to as "mindgames" and metagame is talking about something else. I also took "metagame" pretty much ad verbatim from smash wiki--many of these definitions I did not make myself, it's really just a compilation of what has been defined by the community--and whatever it means, its justification for being on the list is rapidly declining

3. I'll add that...I've seen it used by others as well

4. I think mirror matches is intuitive enough it doesn't need to be defined.

5. Good call, I'll edit that.

6. Added.

I'll probably reupload this once sometime over the summer, I don't know how active I'll be here after that, so any requests/edits would best be made over the next few months.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
About "Kirby’s fast Rock drop", the one you're not sure about :p
There are three ways to do it:
1. Walk towards the ledge, then do the rock when on the ledge. The extra momentum of the walk moves the rock enough to make you fall, but the rock comes out quickly since you do it on the ground.
2. Pivot edgehog, do the rock while turning. Same principle as above.
3. The one you mentioned, doing a fsmash.

Also, in "pivot edgehogs" you should mention that not all characters can do it with a normal dash. (In fact, I think only Fox and Ness can do it.)

I can only congratulate you with that list. Great work! I even learned new stuff while reading that.

vincent4243

Smash Rookie
My fav.
Button sliding: Act of sliding your finger from one of the C buttons into the A or B button to perform the attack at the beginning of your jump.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Bumping this thread to try and get it more active. Does anyone have more techniques they'd like to share? I don't myself, as everything I have found has already been discovered. I just figured I'd open the place up a bit and hopefully we will see some new replies.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I play Melee now and have no real intentions of picking this up seriously haha
Might whip out the old N64 next weekend at Eevolution though (Glen Burnie MD if anyone is interested)

Try .... the Smash64 index of topics?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I play Melee now and have no real intentions of picking this up seriously haha
Might whip out the old N64 next weekend at Eevolution though (Glen Burnie MD if anyone is interested)

Try .... the Smash64 index of topics?
I forgot you used to play this game Wenbo, though I vaguely remember you playing online a long time ago. You should play on Saturday!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I forgot you used to play this game Wenbo, though I vaguely remember you playing online a long time ago. You should play on Saturday!
I will if it doesn't run at the same time as Melee <_<
I play Fox / Falcon in both games
Maybe Pikachu if I'm feeling lazy / cheap in 64 hehe

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
You have an interesting username / avatar combination
I used to use Sephiroth with some amount of X's a lot. In fact I did for years. Smashboards I think was the last time I used that username. And yeah my avatar doesn't go very well with my name XD never thought about it before.

scotty2hotty2568

Smash Rookie
Do most of the pros use c down or c left to jump? Also when short hopping into an attack, or I guess just doing any air attack in general, is it better/easier to use A for aerials or R for aerials. I find it somewhat difficult to use A for aerials when short hopping so I was thinking maybe most ppl use R.

Villainy

Smash Cadet
Do most of the pros use c down or c left to jump? Also when short hopping into an attack, or I guess just doing any air attack in general, is it better/easier to use A for aerials or R for aerials. I find it somewhat difficult to use A for aerials when short hopping so I was thinking maybe most ppl use R.
I dont play on console much anymore but I use down c to jump.
Im not sure what other people do but I use the A button for aerials. I have my thumb positioned where its kind of on the C button and the A button at the same time.

More to note: If you want to DJC with ness I recommend using left C and down C.
And with fox since the left C button is closer to the B button I find it easier to SHDL and shine cancel with left C.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Like Villainy mentioned you should probably use the C button that is closest to the next button you want to use. So left C if you are going to use B, and down C if you are going to use A.

As far as using A while short hopping, if its difficult for you I'd recommend practicing it until its not difficult instead of switching to the R button. Gotta have nimble fingers to be good, no point in waiting until the issue occurs for some other tech.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
... And why would you ask here and not in the Ask a question thread? What's up with all those bumps I don't get it.
because I saw a thread asking where the tier list is and some troll linked to this.

what's even stupider is the person who asked said thanks even though there's no tier list here.

Top Bottom