• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read THIS before asking how to do something - Terms and Advanced Tech

unityole

Smash Lord
recoveries, problem is that they cant hit u, and u kno ur link is better than ur mario

Zantetsu

Smash Master
If you've been keeping up with the Brawl news, you probably know about "hugging"--grabbing the ledge from the platform. Well, I found out that you can already kinda do this with Fox!

Dash towards a ledge, turn and hold the stick that way, and if you timed it correctly you should turn, slide off, and then grab the ledge.

I don't know if you can do this with other characters, but I've tried it out with a few and it seems like only Fox can do it.

Edit: can someone check with some other characters? I don't have the best tech skill, so yeah...

I'll probably upload a vid of Fox doing this by this weekend if people still have questions.
Lol wow I still wonder why people keep thinking they have found this. I'v met around 3 people who think they have found this but yet it's so old. It's basically a pivot.

greenblob

Smash Lord
It's not exactly a pivot, which is using a standing attack during a few frames of a dashdance in which you're in the standing position. It's more of a turn around slide.

Anyway, if it's known, it should be on the first post. Should we call it "hugging," or since it was known before Hugs discovered it in Brawl, should we use a different name?

unityole

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by Hungry Gamer
Oh computers definatly play mindgames!
no computer doesn't do mindgames, they just react so fast as soon as you move they can calculate the speed, distance and everything so they usually likely to hit you first. it's not reading mind.

unityole

Smash Lord
Here's what I have to say. Pikachu backthrow...Link Up B...Pika f smash...Link Up B...Pika F smash...Link Dead
that is only if u can backthrow link, you probably wont get more than 3 chances to do that against isai or superboom. So think of this now, a game with 5 or 6 stocks, and u get to back throw them 3 times or less, and they might not get edge guarded by you within those 3 or less chance. therefore you couldnt possibly think link would suck that bad.

link is actually pretty **** mobile if you play it properly.

6th Sense

Smash Lord
that is only if u can backthrow link, you probably wont get more than 3 chances to do that against isai or superboom. So think of this now, a game with 5 or 6 stocks, and u get to back throw them 3 times or less, and they might not get edge guarded by you within those 3 or less chance. therefore you couldnt possibly think link would suck that bad.

link is actually pretty **** mobile if you play it properly.
Well then let's just move Isai's link up to Top Tier if thats how you want to compare

ant-d

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, there's also this glitch:

If Kirby does N-air, without Z-cancel, on the rising platform it can combo and hit twice.

On Saffron City.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Teeter cancel (TC)

You can cancel your dash by running to the edge into a teeter animation.

Implication
You could potentially do any standing technique out of a dash if you're next to an edge.

Applications
Teeter dashdance--cancel your dash with a TC and then dash back without the skidding animation
Do any standing attack out of a teeter

unityole

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, there's also this glitch:

If Kirby does N-air, without Z-cancel, on the rising platform it can combo and hit twice.

On Saffron City.

only on saffron city? what about congo jungle or samus' stage with that most right side moving platform?

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yeah, I kinda figured that it was already known. But I think everything should be formalized and put on this list and on the wiki.

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
Anyway, if it's known, it should be on the first post. Should we call it "hugging," or since it was known before Hugs discovered it in Brawl, should we use a different name?
LOLCOPTER, wasn't that a made up joke by Gimpy? it's just edge hogging while your character is facing an opposite direction from the edge, there's no way to do that on SSB and Melee so there's no "Hugging" in those games anyway.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Any character can grab the edge out of initial dash. Or pivot edgehog.

It's the fastest way to grab the edge in many situations (you should fast fall for added effect). Of course, Yoshi's special jump cancel edgehog should be mentioned. However, it's not easy to do.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Up+A, Down+B repeat
or
Left+A, Right+B repeat

Or B first. Just alternate.

You actually don't have to do it for a long time.

Old questions, someone should make a thread with all mine and malva's posts in
regardless of content

rokimomi

Smash Lord
This is kinda like a spam holder thread so people dont post a million questions and mess up the boards. There really is no "true" adv thing like in melee. No one wants to step up and do it.

No organizational skills within anyone? Im shocked.

ant-d

Smash Lord
This should be added. Malva did this in one of his videos, and then we found out how to do it.

All character Block-Jump-

All characters can do this. It was already known that Yoshi could do it.

Method:

Jump out of shield.

You are invulnerable for 2 frames, including grabs.
You can't jump-block long attacks such as many smashes. However, Pikachu can jump-block to up+b, he can then pass through almost all attacks without getting touched.
Fox can of course reflector cancel out of it, this also has much priority. These added moves require quick timing.

Video:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wZcob0DDIbs

As you can see, Ness can cancel his second jump resulting in many DJC-Blocks.
You an also Up-smash out of the shield. However, the up-smash is NOT invincible. So you have to time it at the last possible frame.

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I'm having a bit of a hard time short-hopping. I tap the button as quick as a can, but it still ends up doing a regular jump most of the time. I use the analog stick for jumping usually, so it's hard for me to get used to using the jump button. Any advice?

D.Q

Smash Apprentice
button sliding or something
idk don't use controllers
btw why is there like nothing on teleporting D= D= D=
need to know how to do that consistently

sharkoftheday

Smash Rookie
Any character can grab the edge out of initial dash. Or pivot edgehog.
What Greenblob is mentioning is not done out of an initial dash.

Edit: (Try this again) Sorry, I didn't read your response before posting this.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Hmm... I'm having a bit of a hard time short-hopping. I tap the button as quick as a can, but it still ends up doing a regular jump most of the time. I use the analog stick for jumping usually, so it's hard for me to get used to using the jump button. Any advice?
If you are using a keyboard, try putting one of the c buttons next to your attacks. This is the only way to consistently shorthop. Since the directions should always be at 100%, you can't shorthop with up.

If you aren't, well, try to do it in training and slowing down time.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol. i thought sex kicks were called sex kicks because characters spread out their legs while doing it?

ant-d

Smash Lord
The nintendo jp site contained so much information. Even the 2 frame invincibility out of shield is on there...

considering it was last updated in the year 2000

it has: Z-cancel, D.I, invincible shield jump, falcon punch direction etc plus a lot more other information

infernovia

Smash Ace
I have a question.

I was playing in kaillera and was using fox. The other guy's samus had a fully charged blast ready. While I was recovering (I don't know fox well so I missed the ledge) I went over it and took the blast head on. No damage, no knockback. Just 4 frames of pause with a wtf just happened thing.

Does anyone know what happened there?

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
I have a question.

I was playing in kaillera and was using fox. The other guy's samus had a fully charged blast ready. While I was recovering (I don't know fox well so I missed the ledge) I went over it and took the blast head on. No damage, no knockback. Just 4 frames of pause with a wtf just happened thing.

o_o lolwhut

killa k

Smash Ace
I have a question.

wtf fox got super armor?! O_o

infernovia

Smash Ace
It was strange, I haven't tried replicating it. It didn't create a desynch and the other guy confirmed what happened.

The stage was dreamland with all chars and mushroom kingdom cheat on.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Was there a flash

It was strange, I haven't tried replicating it. It didn't create a desynch and the other guy confirmed what happened.

The stage was dreamland with all chars and mushroom kingdom cheat on.
Do the moves have the same priority, If so, were you still using the move, did you grab the edge while being "hit" or after

If not, thats a weird glitch

infernovia

Smash Ace
Edit: I meant that I have never ever had firefox cancel out projectiles before. But ok, maybe I shouldn't knock the possibility. I did hit the edge but went over so maybe the hitbox extended past fox?

There might have been a flash, but the memory is kinda faded.

I was still using the move and I landed on the stage, not the ledge.

Top Bottom