• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I remember the days of 2010 when literally every kid in middle school had Plants vs Zombies and Angry Birds on their phones

Chance: 0.1%
Maybe if they were going for popular games released right after Brawl then the plant could have a shot, but with the PvZ craze being long gone I doubt this will ever happen. I don't see a mobile game rep happening unless it's from Nintendo or some giant Japanese gacha series, and even those don't have the best chances in my opinion. There are a ton of bigger EA characters to choose from and even If we got a PvZ rep it'd probably be peashooter anyway; heck even the zombie would probably be more likely.

Want: 0%
I don't care about PvZ at all and I really don't see what Sunflower could bring to the table. As far as plant-based fighters go as well as EA characters there are a ton of better options out there.

Heihachi chance prediction: 23.52%

Nominations:
2B x5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
but why tho:
Chance:0%: We would get the peashooter. Also, EA has Shepard as a thing, he would probably get in first.
WAnt:0%: The peashooter sounds more interesting. But, it's an EA rep. I don't want EA to touch smash even moreso than Disney.
Nominations: Freddy Fazbear x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Sari, how do you leave out Zombies on Your Lawn?

So, anyway, Piranha Plant the seconding.

Chance: 5%. I'm not gonna mince words here, a Plants vs. Zombies character in general isn't that likely. Not because EA is too hard to work with, but because there's I think more than a few other contenders for an EA character. Sunflower in particular stands out as one of the major characters... alongside Peashooter, and Crazy Dave. She's fighting a tough battle, but she's the reason the sun is around so, maybe Sakurai will see the potential in this stage control queen? Maybe she'll end up as Crazy Dave's neutral special? Spirit board? Probably nothing.

Want: 55%. The more I think about it the less stupid and more brilliant of an idea it sounds. Now, after one vegetation villain, why would we have another plant pick? I think the potential in a stage control based moveset would actually be pretty cool, using sun to plant plants and to do other things as well. Peashooter could work too, but I nominated Sunflower mostly because I think that stage control element is something exclusive to her. Crazy Dave could fit... but I didn't think of that in time. Sorry.

Lloyd x 5, I guess. Heihachi has a solid shot of... 15.29%.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
part of the born too late to be a nineties kid but too early to appeal to the Fornite generation starter packs
Chance: 0%
What's there to say really? No demand, PvZ has little Japanese presence, the series is currently owned by EA, which might be Nintendo's worst buisness partner and finally, very little moveset potential. The sunflower naturally doesn't attack in most of the games so alot of borrowing from Piranha Plant would have to happen and I just don't think that would be worth the effort.

PvZ is neat and all but one potted plant on the roster is enough, thanks. This isn't a joke that should be repeated, especially if said joke would compete with other more deserving characters from better companies.

Heihachi: 19.38%
Meta Knight echo x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
No more stages beyond the Pass
29.96% Chance, 9.32% Want
Winner of predictions was NintenRob NintenRob with a precise 27.00%
This is now the least wanted concept ever, beating Gen 8 Pokémon at 17.89%

Sol Badguy
28.25% Chance, 50.43% Want
Winner of predictions was Wunderwaft Wunderwaft by virtue of being the highest prediction, with 24.50%

Francis York Morgan
1.08% Chance, 20.00% Want
Winner of predictions was 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus with 1.20%

Any new Xenoblade character
33.38% Chance, 69.33% Want
Winner of predictions was DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 with a precise 38.00%

Your extra nom holders:

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus 5
Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 5
DaUsername DaUsername 57
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 5
NintenRob NintenRob 5
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 5
Troykv Troykv 15
Ultomato Ultomato 5
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 5

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
No more stages beyond the Pass
29.96% Chance, 9.32% Want
Winner of predictions was NintenRob NintenRob with a precise 27.00%
This is now the least wanted concept ever, beating Gen 8 Pokémon at 17.89%

Sol Badguy
28.25% Chance, 50.43% Want
Winner of predictions was Wunderwaft Wunderwaft by virtue of being the highest prediction, with 24.50%

Francis York Morgan
1.08% Chance, 20.00% Want
Winner of predictions was 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus with 1.20%

Any new Xenoblade character
33.38% Chance, 69.33% Want
Winner of predictions was DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 with a precise 38.00%

Your extra nom holders:

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus 5
Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 5
DaUsername DaUsername 57
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 5
NintenRob NintenRob 5
Ridrool64 Ridrool64 5
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 5
Troykv Troykv 15
Ultomato Ultomato 5
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 5
Question: How do I get extra noms?

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Sunflower

Chance: 1%. Chances are, if we get a Rep from Plants vs Zombies, it would be Crazy Dave who uses plants in his moveset. Piranha Plant also has something to do with it. It's almost impossible, but it could be a comeback mechanic or a seed item.

Want: 51%. As a fan of Plants vs Zombies, I would be up for a Rep, but Sunflower would be a big surprise. But I think Sunflower has a higher chance of being a seed item or part of Crazy Dave's moveset. Sunflower could be fun to play as, if done right or something. I would totally be up for a rep from this franchise.

Prediction: Heihachi: 10%

Noms: 2 for Meta Knight Echo and 3 for Meowth

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sunflower

I really don't think this is gonna happen. PvZ is a nice game but it's owned by EA and the series isn't exactly the most popular IP owned by EA. Regardless, I don't think we'll get a straight plant as a fighter. I think we'll get someone like crazy dave to use the plants as part of his moveset, perhaps the sunflower could be used as a mechanic to generate more sun energy for the player to plant more plants. But as a standalone fighter? No way.

Nah, I prefer a character that uses all the different plants as part of the moveset. Asking for sunflower is akin to asking for Mario's FLUDD to be playable, it's a part of a moveset and it's not enough to be an entire character by itself.

Prediction: Heihachi 26.4%
Nomination: Waluigi x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Sunflower

Chance 5 - If we get a character from PvZ I don't think the Sunflower would be the one. Like others have said, Peashooter would make more sense as the rep. Sunflower could be his final Smash like how Plant has Petey. In general though, there's a lot of competition from EA and that makes things a lot tougher here. I wouldn't be shocked if we got an EA rep, but I dont think it'll be the Sunflower.

Want 60 - I'd like this because I have good memories of playing PvZ with my younger cousins who love the game. Otherwise I have other characters I'd like to get first but I'm leaning towards being cool with this.

Predict Heihachi - 25.14 percent. Could see this being all over the place

Noms
Vault Boy x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Plants vs Zombie character is an interesting concept but I seriously doubt it. They're owned by EA who don't seem to like working with Nintendo. Also I don't want EAs name on the game. Also it's not the peashooter and is kinda obscure in Japan.

Chance 0.4%
Want 0%

Nominate Carmen Sandiego x10
(I hope moms haven't been counted yet

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
There's a zombie on your lawn!

Chance: 1%

Plants vs Zombies is no longer that popular. They missed out on a rep when the game was huge and everyone and their brother was playing it. It definitely had an impact by helping mobile gaming become more popular and being a very popular tower defence game, a genre which doesn't get much attention. But the popularity train passed by a while ago and you don't hear people talk about it that much. Nor do I hear people request a PvZ rep.

One thing going for PvZ is that it is one of EA's more plausible reps, I'd argue. Who else does EA have? Mass Effect rep? Battlefield rep? Dead Space? Sims? None of those seem likely for a wide range of reasons. But the problem is that EA doesn't work with Nintendo often and it wasn't until recently that they started to express interest in working with the Switch. In addition, when it comes to western companies, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and even Activision/Blizzard seem more likely to get reps as they all have been working together with Nintendo for the past couple years. EA doesn't seem to be a priority, and their reputation most certainly doesn't help.

The biggest problem I have with Sunflower, and pretty much every unit in the game, is that they have little moveset potential. To be fair, I haven't played Garden Warfare. But when it comes to the first two PvZ games, all that sunflower does is make sun. And most of the plants and zombies have one attack or function. If we ever do get a PvZ rep, I would think it would be Crazy Dave and his entire moveset would be based around him summoning plants, which would make him more of a defensive character. That would be more accurate and true to the game rather than playing as one of the many units you can summon. Sakurai has worked miracles before, but he still needs something, which Sunflower isn't giving much of.

Want: 51%

I'm giving the 51% to Sunflower as I would rather have Pea Shooter who is as, if not, more iconic than Sunflower and has more moveset potential. Sunflower is one of the less exciting plants to use in the game.

And as a bonus, I give a Plants vs Zombies rep a 70% want score. I love Plants vs Zombies. I was one of the many kids who played the game for hours on end (on the DS no less). I really enjoy the art style and atmosphere of the game. And the music is very good. I know this doesn't count, but I wanted to give more context to why I gave Sunflower a 51%. I would rather have Pea Shooter or Crazy Dave and have him use the plants. I wish the noms were for "Concept: Plants vs Zombies Rep".

Predictions: Heihachi - 28%

Noms: Crypto x10

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain. My main issue here is EA. They haven't done much with Switch since it launched, so I don't know if they're on working terms with Nintendo at the moment. Although, EA has proven to like money above all else, so I could at least see them being willing to cooperate.

Nominations: Monokuma x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Finally, a worthy opponent for Ivysaur and Piranha Plant

A character from a relatively minor series, that is owned by western company, which just so happens to be EA, and has not noteworthy presence in Japan. Yeah, excuse me if I don't see the case for this character here.

Not interested.

Predicting Heihachi to get around 20.02%.

Nominating Akira Howard x5.

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Sunflower

Chance 0%
To summarize what I read here so far, EA has no presence on the Switch and barely works with Nintendo. Plants vs Zombies is extremely unknown in Japan. EA has plenty of better options. Yeah it's not happening.

Want: 3%
It makes no sense to do this. There is a massive list of characters that should get in before a Plants vs Zombies rep

Predictions: 25% Heihachi

Noms: Akira Howard x5

Also, how did League of Legends Rep do in chance/want score? I don't think I saw it's score

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Sunflower

Chance - 0% - The main problem is that Peashooter is just as, if not, more iconic than the Sunflower, while also having combat potential. Peashooter also has interesting variations, meaning it can have a moveset to take inspiration from a family like Piranha Plant. With EA having minimal presence on Nintendo, any PvZ character struggles to come up being popular other than "it once was popular."

Want - 20% - I would rather support Peashooter rather than this plant. I'm not that invested in a PvZ character anyway. It's whatever, but there are many more characters I would want more than this.

Predictions

Heihachi - 16.34% - I guess this can happen?

Nominations

Kunio X5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
SunFlower

Chance: 0.01%.

Just what the heck? Okay, they're owned by EA who I think would a fickle company to to work with, and I haven't heard much from the Plants vs Zombies series .

Want: 0%. Yeah. Piranha Plant is enough thank you.

Heihachi prediction: 9.66%

Nominate Darksiders rep x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sunflower

Chance: 0.5% - Plants vs. Zombies is a pretty successful game, but I just don't see it happening. EA is a fickle company, there is very little Nintendo representation (just DS and DSiware releases), and the series has super stiff competition, both for an EA rep and a western rep. Furthermore a lack of presence in Japan and a lack of fan demand put the nail in the coffin for Sunflower. We also got Piranha Plant, which fills the same niche.

Want: 5% - I wouldn't be opposed to the character but I really don't have much interest in Plants vs. Zombies and probably never will. Though the surprise factor would certainly be interesting.

Nominations:
Gex x10

Predictions:
Heihachi - 14.24%

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ok I would like to ask the people who bring up competition from other EA games: What other viable characters do they have?
  • Dead Space: I could see this one since there was one game on the Wii, but since Resident Evil got a spirit event, I'm a bit concerned for other horror games. We don't know what happened behind the scenes, but if Resident Evil couldn't get a character because of it being too scary, then Dead Space is not in a better position. Plus it seems to be a dead (space) series.
  • Battlefield rep: Maybe? The big thing is that Battlefield has never appeared on a Nintendo console. Plus it's a series I don't see coming to Smash because of the same reasons why a COD rep isn't happening: the soldiers are generic and the art style doesn't fit with Smash too well. We do got Snake so it's possible, but I'm not seeing it.
  • Mass Effect: I could see this happening, Mass Effect 3 did came out on Wii U. This is probably the one franchise that could beat out Plants vs Zombies.
  • The Sims: It's a very popular series that has had some Nintendo history. I don't see a character having an interesting moveset though. They are just regular humans so pretty much anyone on the roster can do the same things the sims can do. Sakurai could come up with a wacky moveset using frying pans, setting things on fire, and furniture. But again, they are generic people so I can't see them having an interesting moveset.
  • Titanfall: Unless if they made the titans smaller (which unlike Ridley, you can't make them much smaller), I don't see it happening at all because without the titans, it wouldn't be Titanfall. Plus no Nintendo history.
  • Bejeweled: What kind of moveset would this even have?
Those are probably the biggest games they have. Comparing all of them to Plants vs Zombies, I would argue that PvZ is one of, if not, the most likely candidate. You can have Crazy Dave plant the various plants down around him which is an interesting moveset concept and since there are so many plants, they could do so much with that concept. Plants vs Zombies has also managed to stay alive with games being released to this day. Plus the art style could fit with Smash very well, as opposed to EA's other franchises which have grittier graphics and atmospheres.

I am very well aware of the fact that EA would probably ask for a bigger franchise like Battlefield, which Sakurai might reject because FPS games are not popular in Japan, plus Doom Slayer is much more likely because all the Doom games coming to Switch and Doom Slayer being much more appealing and requested rather than generic soldiers. None of this changes my rating btw.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
:ultpiranha: But Third Party
Of all the possible PvZ characters, why would you choose one that doesn't even attack? (In most of its appearances.) If we did get a PvZ character, it would probably be the Peashooter.
I've already said above that Peashooter is the better choice. But really, EA shouldn't have a Smash character at all, they don't deserve it.

Heihachi prediction: 25%
Noms: Phoenix Wright x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Heihachi from Tekken.

Predict Unsafe Wiimote Guy, also known as Reckless Safety Notice Man.

Day will end Sunday around noon EST.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

----------

Some songs to get into the throwing your son off a cliff mood:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Yo, eight!

Chance: 60% in general, which is what I'm going with. Heihachi Mishima, I doubt will end the pass for myriad reasons, but overall I think there's nothing problematic around him in regards to post-pass. He's iconic, popular, has interesting moveset ideas, and was previously considered (which is a lot further than most characters get) even if it ultimately didn't work out. I've got a feeling he could be a good contender for Bamco's second, third, or even fourth character. And within his series it's gonna be him no questions asked.

Want: 45%. I mean visually he doesn't really strike a chord with me, and while I've seen and heard of most of what he can do, it all seems like somewhat standard fare. And then we have the part where he straps people to rockets and lets them fly away? Now that's what I'm talking about! And it seems like he's a cool character to boot. I give high marks!

Assist Trophies in Updates x 5.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Heihachi

Chance: abstain... or 35% ?
It's too hard to accurately predict this imo. On the one hand, there's already Pac-Man who was meant to encompass every character Namco could offer. Heihachi appears in one of his taunts as a result. On the other hand, this was true for Sm4sh, several years ago. This is Ultimate. Things may have changed, and there's no denying Tekken's fame.

A tentative rating would be like 3% because of Pac-Man + previous DLC fighter being a traditional fighting game rep - smash breeds variety, all the more so in DLC...
Another one would be 70%. If not for Pac-Man, I'd seriously have trouble not seeing Heihachi in Smash - for good reason, as he was solidly considered already back in Brawl.

Saying 35% wouldn't do neither justice, nor would it truly represent his chances. The odds vary too greatly, and that's without mentioning the 2nd DLC wave where he'd be much more likely to make it in. I leave it to you to either consider my vote be 35% or an abstain.

Want: 60%
I'm not a fan of Tekken. I've been told more recent entries in the franchise are less stiff but back when I did play it occasionally with friends, I found the characters to play much too stiff to my liking. Because of that, I couldn't really enjoy the games, despite good memories spent playing them - most memories having fun with friends tend to be.

Yet despite this, I can't deny the visual appeal of some of its characters, nor its impact on gaming as a whole. From what I remember of Heihachi's moves, being able to play him in Smash would definitely be a blast! If that's not enough of a reason, plenty of people would absolutely rejoice at his inclusion. If smash truly is a celebration for gaming as a whole, who could deny an eventual Tekken rep?

Predictions: 0.12%
'Troll' pick already happened for this game.

Nominations: Kiryu Kazuma x5

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Happy Throw Your Relatives Off a Cliff Day!
Chance: 75%

Obviously there’s competition in the form of a Tales rep or KOS-MOS, but I don’t care either way. I’ll take any second Namco rep, since poor :ultpacman:‘s all lonely (makes me think he’s the only Namco rep only because he’s one of the earliest and most iconic video game character).

Want: 50%
Don’t care that much for Tekken, per se (only taking a look at Tekken 7 becuase I heard Noctis was in it). But like I said, any new Namco rep is appreciated.

Unsafe Wiimote Guy: 0%

Noms: Claude von Rerate x5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Oh boy...
Chance:20%: Yeah, I don't think he is that likely. His Japanese voice actor died and Jim Kazama is the character I feel would represent Tekken.
want: 50%: Jin would be preferable, but Heihachi would be cool. But honestly, I don't really care about another fighting game character.
Nominations: Freddy Fazbear x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Heihachi

Chance: 40%
Back in August we rated the chances of any Tekken character making it in (which ironically enough was on the same day we rated an SNK character). I thought Heihachi was the only viable Tekken candidate so I'll just list the pros/cons for him that I wrote during that rating day:

+ Tekken is currently one of Namco's biggest series especially with Tekken 7 surpassing 4 million copies.
+ Sakurai considered Heihachi for SSB4 and we've seen Sakurai go back on previous ideas before with characters like Chrom.
+ Since Namco helped out with Ultimate I think it is somewhat likely that we'll get another character from them.
+ Heihachi will be appearing in the King of Fighters All-Stars mobile game, which uses full voice-acting for its characters. Whether it means Heihachi will get a new VA or that they'll reuse his clips from Tekken 7, it shows that Heihachi's character is not retired at least for spin-offs.

- Sakurai mentioned that it would be tough to implement Tekken's limb-based fighting into Smash.
- Heihachi appears in Pac-Man's taunt. While that is obviously not a deconfirmation on its own, it can viewed as a consolation prize for not getting Heihachi added whether it was due to his VA recently passing away or other issues.
- He has competition with other Namco characters, specifically a Tales character.
For reference I gave Heihachi a 20% chance of happening at the time. Also that rating was a paraphrased version of an even bigger Heihachi writeup I did.

Three big things have happened since that rating day:
  1. Terry's inclusion - With Terry being added and essentially deconfirming every other SNK character/series, Tekken is now most likely the next fighting game series to get a character in my opinion. Yes there is ArcSys but I think Tekken has a much greater legacy and history with Sakurai that it would definitely have priority. Mortal Kombat also exists but its failure in Japan makes it the least likely of all the series I mentioned so far.
  2. Heihachi's SSB4 mii costume possibly not returning - The Terry Direct showed off some new fighting-based mii costumes that were from SNK and Virtua Fighter. This would've been the perfect time to release a Kyo mii costume Heihachi's old mii costume, but it was mysteriously absent. Of course we can't really draw too many conclusions from this since they could just release it with another Namco character or it was just cut entirely, but its absence is a bit fishy.
  3. Namco reusing Heihachi's voice clips for future projects - In November, the King of Fighters x Tekken collab for the KoF All-Star mobile game that I mentioned earlier went live. Heihachi's voice clips in the crossover are reused from his Tekken 7 appearance, which makes me think that they could do it for other non-Tekken appearances like Smash since it'd be a nice tribute to his late VA.
As far as Namco characters go, Heihachi is looking to be one of the frontunners. The only real competition I see him having is with Lloyd Irving or another Tales character. KOS-MOS was never really a threat to Heihachi's chances since Tekken is a titan when it comes to sales/being recognizable. Harada's tweet the other day about Xenosaga not being profitable hurts her chances even more, so it's really just Tekken vs Tales.

Want: 65%
With Terry now in Smash, I am a bit more open to other fighting game series getting in. I never got around to playing a Tekken game but from what I've seen I'd be completely ok with Heihachi getting in. He's one of the most iconic antagonists in a fighting game so I think he is very deserving of a spot in Smash.

Wiimote guy chance prediction: 0.32% (oh boy, another one of those days...)

Nominations:
2B x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Heihachi

Chance: 35%

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/26/800/

In this interview, Sakurai stated that he considered Heihachi for Smash 4, but concluded that Heihachi's movement was too difficult to implement (With Tekken being 3D). This was 4 years ago, so Sakurai could have changed his mind. Tekken is up there with other games like Soul Calibur as the next prime fighting game candidate. Heihachi himself has been heavily marketed, even being on the front cover of several Tekken games. btw, people say that we can't get two fighting game reps in a row, even though we got two RPG characters in a row so that argument is mute.

The biggest concern is competition. Heihachi is facing against Lloyd Irving, Agumon, and a Soul Calibur rep. If Sakurai still has problems with including fighters from a 3D fighting game, Soul Calibur might be out of the table. Out of these, Lloyd is looking the most likely due to heavy fan requests and Tales Of Series being quite popular in Japan.

It's quite hard to really say with certainty where Heihachi lies in the grand scheme of things. He's in Pac-Man's taunt which is interesting and I'm not sure how to or what to interpret out of that. Overall, I think Heihachi has a fair shot.

Want: 51%

There are a lot of characters I want over him. I'm not a Tekken fan, but I'm sure Sakurai would be able to create a fun moveset for Heihachi, shutting up the naysayers who think Heihachi would be too similar to Ryu and Terry. Heihachi could be a cool character.

Predictions: Unsafe Wiimote Guy - 0.88% (lmao this is going to be great)

Noms: Crypto x5

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
In this interview, Sakurai stated that he considered Heihachi for Smash 4, but concluded that Heihachi's movement was too difficult to implement (With Tekken being 3D). This was 4 years ago, so Sakurai could have changed his mind.
Oh was it for Sm4sh? I thought for sure Heihachi had been considered for Brawl as well, I may be misremembering.

Anyway, "Heihachi's movement in Smash would be difficult" heavily reminds me of "Ridley is too big". Where there's a will, there's a way - Sakurai has proven this many times already: Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Duo, Mr Game & Watch, R.O.B., etc... It's more PR speech that he decided Pac-Man's kit had more potential to be unique and fresh, hence why he got chosen instead, while avoiding to hurt anyone's feelings.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Heihachi Mishima

Chance: 60% - Tekken is a titan when it comes to fighting games, and alongside Street Fighter is one of the most well-known fighting game series of all time. Namco has brought up Tekken's monumental success many times, and equal praise has been given by Sakurai himself. To the point where Heihachi nearly made it into Smash instead of Pac Man as the Namco representative. The only real obstacles are his Mii costume, his appearance in Pac Man's taunt, the passing of his VA, and Sakurai being unable to implement him faithfully (which is why he wasn't included in 4, alongside Pac Man being a personal request from Miyamoto). His Mii costume could come with a Namco character potentially, but we didn't see his costume with Terry so he lives another day. Inclusion in Pac Man's taunt implies that he wasn't considered for Fighter #5 at the time of development, but with post pass DLC he has another big break. That Tekken mobile game is evidence that they can reuse his voice clips despite his VA's passing so that's no longer an obstacle. Finally, while this is still an unresolved obstacle, at this point Sakurai could've come up with a way to implement him faithfully, since his original statement was dated back to 2014-2015. Five years later and he could have some good ideas planned!

Will we see him? His only other major obstacle is a Tales rep (KOS-MOS's chances are being heavily overstated), but as post-pass DLC rolls along he is one of the frontrunners there!

Want: 10% - Honestly it's hard to give a proper score on this one. While I wouldn't have any problems with Heihachi and think his powers are super cool, there's the factor of Namco being super conservative with its' character additions. Three character cycles and we still just have Pac Man, meaning the next Namco rep will more than likely be the last. So if Heihachi gets in, it essentially kills off my most wanted character and fellow Smash Ultimate Pac Man taunt addition: The Prince of All Cosmos. Nonetheless, if we get Heihachi, it'll be fine, he's more than earned the spot on the roster.

Nominations:
Gex x5

Predictions:
Unsafe Wiimote Guy - 0.42%

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Chance 70%-I think the voicework re-use and the absent Mii costume speak for themselves on this situation. There are only a few possibilities to work around the latter:

1.- Heihachi really is going to be a playable character. We haven't really seen any Mii costume characters getting the playable upgrade via DLC, but it's not something that can't change sooner or later.

2.- Another Namco character is going to include the costume. Most likely outcome.

3.- It was scrapped altogether. I really doubt this scenario because there aren't that many absent third-party costumes left (those being the Monster Hunter armours, Geno, Chocobo and the Namco guys), and with more DLC characters coming after the pass, I'm pretty sure they'll all eventually come out.

Want: 100%-He's been my most wanted for a while. Loved Terry, the Belmonts and Ridley; but I still want Heihachi. Imagine just having what's essentially Tekken 7's crossover (minus Negan for obvious reasons) in Smash, and the irony Capcom vs SNK and Street Fighter X Tekken coming back in the form of guest characters before the actual games ever do. I can already see Maximillian Dood noticing that.

Nominations: Dante x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Heihachi
Chance 23%
I see other Namco characters happening first, even if Sakurai specifically mentioned. And I see them wanting to space him out a bit with Terry as they're conceptually somewhat similar. Definitely has a chance though
Want 0%
Fighting game characters don't interest me. Especially if they play like they do in him games. I find Terry to be the least memorable addition yet.

Nominate Carmen Sandiego x4
King Boo x1

Prediction Wiimote Guy: solid 0%

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
GG
Chance: 10%
I think the odds aren't looking so well for him right now. His Pacman taunt cameo makes me think Sakurai still couldn't find a way to implement him in Smash even after Sm4sh. Heavy competition from Tales of and Dark Souls as well as other series also make me think Heihachi would be even less likely to be chosen.

want: Abstaining

Unsafe Wiimote guy: 0%
Meta Knight echo x5

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Heihachi

Chance: 99%
Yes, I'm that confident that Heihachi will show up by the end of Ultimate's lifetime. He was already planned for Smash 4, and there's just no way we'll have Ryu, Terry, but not Heihachi.

Want: 100%
He's in my top 5.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Heihachi

Chance: 20%. He is an iconic fighting game character, and while he most likely wont be in the fighter's pass, he may still have a chance to be in the game overall. Competition is the one concern however, plus other Namco reps like Kloana and Lloyd are amoung the competitors, but it's not impossible.

Want: 55%. He would be fun to play as, with several deadly moves and a new stage and soundtracks to boot. If we get him in, this game would be even more of an ultimate fighting game then it is currently.

Prediction: Reckless Safety Notice Man (5%)

Noms: 2 for Earthworm Jim and 3 for Concept: Pokeball Pokémon Promotion

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Heihachi Mishima
Chance:
25%
Finally, we're rating the old man! Fantastic. His chances are in a very weird spot right now. I was fully prepared to take him as deconfirmed when Terry dropped, and yet his Mii costume didn't actually return or get remade! How strange... That said, I don't think it's an indicator of his likelihood. There are plenty of costumes (like MegaMan.EXE) that have yet to return from Sm4sh and even then we might be getting a different Bandai-Namco character and his costume could return with that instead...

There's also the factor of other Mishima clan members like Jin or Kazuya being chosen over him, as they have both enjoyed time in the spotlight, or even a different Tekken character as unlikely as that is. Either way, to me Tekken is a franchise that should be in Smash and definitely has a shot, but not one I'm willing to say is a definite lock or anything.

Yes!!!

While playing Tekken 7's story mode, I came to realize just how much I love this old *******. This guy is Tekken's crossover king, and more than that he is one of the coolest villains in fighting game history. He's been around all series, filling in all kinds of roles, and what I love about him is the fighting style he could bring. Heihachi is about rushing in and hitting you hard, an embodiment of strength and clever martial arts and rushdown tactics. Plus he has electric fists! The guy oozes cool, and he would be a third-party villain (who sometimes has bouts of heroism) that'd really add depth to the roster with his reliance on close-quarters combat.

On top of that, you have a character with boat loads of personality. He is a humorous character who trained a bear, likes to go bowling, and has campy non-canonical moments of tying his family to a rocket ship and blasting them into space. He's a successful businessman, a cutthroat schemer, a vicious fighter, and a wackjob all in one and I love him for it.

Plus of course, the music he could bring? Mwa. Chef's kiss. Perfection. Hell, Sakurai could add only the Tekken Tag Tournament 2 soundtrack and I'd be happy.

If he got in, I'd want his old man look to be the default. I'd really love his Tekken 7 look to be the one, honestly, because that's when I truly feel the character came together to create one of the most memorable presences in the gaming world. Plus that scarf is stylin'. :)

I'm just saying, getting Heihachi in this game would lead to the greatest fighting game crossover in history. Maybe Tekken did Capcom vs. SNK vs. Bandai-Namco first with Akuma vs. Heihachi vs. Geese, but Ultimate could be the first game to give us Ryu vs. Ken vs. Terry vs. Heihachi, a true iconic battle. Plus seeing Heihachi take on other characters like Ganondorf or Chrom is so exciting to me!

In conclusion, I want to quote this post from JudgeHeihachi in the Heihachi support thread (which is a very fun place - if my post has convinced you in any way, feel free to join us!). This post to me shows why fans of Heihachi are such big fans and why we want to see him in Smash.

Thanks! Sure, That old geezer is a part of my childhood! He may seem cold at first, but he had one of the craziest character developments of any video game character! He started as that unlikable evil old man in Tekken 1, was still similar in Tekken 2 but got the protagonist role and as shown in Kazuya's ending of that game, isn't entirely evil as he protected Kazuya from the laser that Devil shot at him and he took all that pain by himself. Then in Tekken 3 he was even older, but also gained so much style in his rich man outfit from the opening and he really started to feel like a globally important figure and not just an old martial artist.
Then in Tekken 4 he first showed his goofy side with him being a slave in a fundoshi and bowtie in Lee's ending and how he was outsmarting Kuma with the contracts in Kuma's ending. Or in Tekken 5 where he stuck the other on a rocket in that famous ending scene and shot them into outer space and he was shown as even more fun loving in Tag Tournament 2 because in the latter that scene got extended and he also throws golfballs at them.
And who could forget that epic scene in Tekken 6 where a hermit in the deep forest turns out to be Heihachi who catches a pistol bullet with his bare teeth,
And then Tekken 7 expanded on his emotional side, where as a continuation from that Tekken 2 ending (also the Heihachi + Kazumi drawing was first shown in Tekken 2) his true motive for turning on Kazuya has finally been revealed.
How after knowing all of this anyone still couldn't like Heihachi is beyond me.
Seriously for fighting game standards Tekken has pretty deep character developments. I think that's something most Heihachi detractors don't understand.
Also Heihachi is more than just the face of a fighting game, it's a fighting game that revolutionized and perfected the 3D fighting game genre after Virtua Fighter pioneered it. He is essentially the face of a whole generation of fighting games.
And yes that dream match, it needs to happen! Now is the opportunity for it!
Nominations: Carmen Sandiego x5

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Heihachi

Chance: 65%
I believe Heihachi is the most likely Bandai Namco character at the moment. It's no secret that Tekken is the biggest franchise owned by Bandai Namco that isn't in Smash. The death of Heihachi's voice actor turned out to not be a problem after Bandai Namco reused voice lines for Heihachi in the King of Fighters mobile game. There's also the topic of Heihachi's missing mii costume, something I expected to come with the rest of the fighting mii costumes during Terry's presentation.

Heihachi was once planned to be in Smash 4 but instead was dropped in favor of Pac-Man after Sakurai found trouble implementing his limb mechanics. Ever since then we have had Ryu and Terry in Smash, two characters that bring a lot of new mechanics from fighting games into Smash. I feel as if Sakurai now might have an idea on how to implement Heihachi in Smash now that he has had more experience developing fighting game characters. There are even fan made videos that showcase how it's possible to implement Tekken mechanics into Smash, here is my favorite one.

One of my top five most wanted characters. Tekken is probably my favorite fighting game series if Smash Bros doesn't count. It's a series that I've made lots of friends with and had a lot of fun. Heihachi is also a character I really like, he's an unapologetically evil antagonist who holds his own in a series filled with demonic monsters and beasts. To be a normal human in a setting like this and still be regarded as one of the strongest is very exceptional. Heihachi is an iconic and memorable character and I would love to see him in Smash.

Prediction: Wiimote guy 3.36%
Nomination: Waluigi x5

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain. I don't know anything about Tekken. Although Sakurai did consider Heihachi previously, which DOES help his case, at least a little.

Nominations: Monokuma x5

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna abstain on today. I just wanna predict Unsafe Wiimote Guy cause tomorrow sounds like it'll be a pretty fun day.
---------------
Predictions:
Unsafe Wiimote Guy - 0.01%
---------------
Noms:
Devolver Digital Rep x5

Top Bottom