• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
Lol, wrong word completely. Not guttural, but I can't think of the word I actually meant. No real focus to the vocals though, just sort of ear filling.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not sure who's song I should rate...I guess I'll with Daomar's since it's almost been a week.

Took far too long to pick up for my liking. Eerie guttural vocals that didn't really keep me interested, even when the screaming started, too distorted and drowned out by synth to even comprehend. Dunno, like 4/10 prolly.

Tyler, The Creator- *******
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFTLouiUFjI
Talk about a deep song. His flow is nice, and it's not even him rapping to me, it's as if he's kind of talking to you. The ominous "satanic" music is a nice touch to some of his rhymes. Almost feels like you'd hear this at one of those poem hangout places. The "Satan" guy talking to him in the beginning and end was a nice touch. Found it a bit funny how he got interrupted by Tyler.

8/10

Finch's version of Depeche Mode's Condemnation

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I'm not sure who's song I should rate...I guess I'll with Daomar's since it's almost been a week.

Talk about a deep song. His flow is nice, and it's not even him rapping to me, it's as if he's kind of talking to you. The ominous "satanic" music is a nice touch to some of his rhymes. Almost feels like you'd hear this at one of those poem hangout places. The "Satan" guy talking to him in the beginning and end was a nice touch. Found it a bit funny how he got interrupted by Tyler.

Finch's version of Depeche Mode's Condemnation
I think you forgot a number thingy =x

Anyways, normally I am not one for acoustics of songs but I have to say I really enjoyed this song and it was very well done this way. It was somewhat melodic and I loved the guitarist. Vocals could have been better but pretty much they were in tune with one another for a live acoustic thing and it was just nice to listen to.

7/10

Nothing spectacular about the song though.

Becca - I'm Alive

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If anything, someone should critique DeathBySuarez's song, since he technically got skipped. I would right now, but I just got in from a 5 hour road trip. Too tired for music right now.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I got it covered so that way the person can just do my song and everything will be back together.

Okay first off, WOW. I am listening to that song at like 1:12am in the morning and it is just HAUNTING! That is the perfect word to describe it. I loved the melody and it just struck to my liking because I love songs like that. TBH I listened to it twice just because it creeped me out the first time. (In a good way though!) Thanks for sharing that song cuz it was fun to listen to.

9/10

theeboredone

Smash Legend

I think you forgot a number thingy =x

Anyways, normally I am not one for acoustics of songs but I have to say I really enjoyed this song and it was very well done this way. It was somewhat melodic and I loved the guitarist. Vocals could have been better but pretty much they were in tune with one another for a live acoustic thing and it was just nice to listen to.

7/10

Nothing spectacular about the song though.

Becca - I'm Alive
It's really hard for me to get behind a female singer in a rock band. I'm not sexist or anything, just the voice has to be right. This one didn't really do it for me. Her voice is a bit too deep for me, and her singing can use some work. I was neutral to the instruments and lyrics. The lyrics being a bit cliche, but nothing wrong with cliche if it's executed properly. It just doesn't come off as something very appealing to me.

5/10

Lupe Fiasco - Till I Get There

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is LASERS, so Atlantic kinda moderated the album a bit, so I'll cut Lupe some slack. I LOVE this beat, it's nice to have an upbeat beat for once, that just makes you feel good, but the song itself is more of a rant on fame. He talks about fame being like a series of injuries and conditions, it's not a new concept, but it was executed quite well. The chorus is simple, catchy, and memorable. Even if Atlantic really held down the release of this album and choke Lupe's thoughts, you can still hear a bit of Lupe leaking out of LASERS' throat. I really hope that Lupe is allowed to do what he wants with his next album, because this was pretty good, the 2nd verse being the best, and the 1st being the worst for it's general simplicity and lack of imagery compared to the 2nd verse. But from what you had to work with, good job Lupe.

7/10

Bubba Sparxxx - She Tried
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFbpS75xT-8&feature=related

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I read the article on how he disliked his album to a certain degree due to Atlantic inserting their crap into his music. Though Atlantic promised they wouldn't meddle in his next album. Let's hope so, cause he's signed on for two more records.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Well, this is LASERS, so Atlantic kinda moderated the album a bit, so I'll cut Lupe some slack. I LOVE this beat, it's nice to have an upbeat beat for once, that just makes you feel good, but the song itself is more of a rant on fame. He talks about fame being like a series of injuries and conditions, it's not a new concept, but it was executed quite well. The chorus is simple, catchy, and memorable. Even if Atlantic really held down the release of this album and choke Lupe's thoughts, you can still hear a bit of Lupe leaking out of LASERS' throat. I really hope that Lupe is allowed to do what he wants with his next album, because this was pretty good, the 2nd verse being the best, and the 1st being the worst for it's general simplicity and lack of imagery compared to the 2nd verse. But from what you had to work with, good job Lupe.

7/10

Bubba Sparxxx - She Tried
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFbpS75xT-8&feature=related
5/10

Production was alright, as was the rap, I just got bored really quickly. Rap isn't my forte. The singing bothered me a bit.

Royksopp - Remind me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo4u4JJAPGk

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The instrumentals are real nice, and very relaxing to listen to. Trumpet works real well in this song towards the end. I like her voice as it goes with the relaxing theme set for this song (minus the random f bomb. Why do they always do that?!). Her lyrics are interesting to read over, and she loses a bit of flow through the song. There's practically no rhyme in this song, and there is nothing wrong with that, since it comes out well for the most part.

I also enjoyed the "ready to go" part...you could just feel the emotion there. The same goes for the last minute or so. It's just a pleasant feel.

8/10

Let's go a bit back in time for this next one...

Tupac feat a bunch of rappers - One Day At A Time

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I wish this thread was more active. it is fun.

boredone:

Hip hop mashups can be really good, or really really bad. Luckily this one is good. Makes me dream about a real life Pac and Em collab.

Pac always brings it. I also really REALLY like Em's flow here. have no clue what song this verse is originally from. care to help out?

Overall, a pretty goddamn awesome remix

4/5

mine:

HORSE the band- New York City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi6RLrWzMZY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

lyrics are not an absolute must, but it really makes the song s a LOT more powerful if you know the words. it is poetry

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858683693/

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
7/10

It was enjoyable. i might try and give the rest of the album a listen later.

Mine:

Blue Stahli - Metamorphosis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyVAF44SbyA

I've been listening to his work since 2008 (Antisleep Vol.1, singles, and remixes), he recently released his debut album and it's definitely worth a listen.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Aphex twin huh... its cool its too slow for me tho... I do like the genre of aphex twin.... Im giving this song a good hard listen and it just isnt dancy enough for me lol i guess I like trancier beats.

*song just stopped*

ill give it a 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRGB27Yb5Hs&feature=related

theres mine
WTF?

that is not Aphex Twin. it sounds nothing like Aphex Twin.
You know Aphex Twin is an artist, not a genre of music, right?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
10/10 Luigitoilet that song touched me very deeply and moved my soul.

Here is mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex4rHORoens
I didn't see LT post a song? Anyways, I don't even listen to much Japanese music, but the style in terms of singing and instruments is all too similar to stuff I've heard before. I'm not going to be judgmental, and say this is cliche, since I have no idea what is cliche in Japanese culture. With that being said, I like the woman's voice, and the background music she sings too. I wish I knew what she was singing about, since I do feel that lyrics are a huge part in music as well.

Random guitar solo leads to a total change in the tempo. It gets a bit creepy, but that's a good thing. From what I understand, this is more of a violent/horror anime so that part matched well. Not sure about the rest of the song.

5/10, but I would just change it if I knew more about the song and show.

A friend I personally know made this song, and a bunch of others. Unfortunately, his website is down, and this is the only one I found on youtube.

Al Ayyoub - Heartbeat

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Please put more effort into this guys. I didn't even post a song, yet someone rated it anyways. It apparently touched their soul but not enough for them to say anything of substance about it. It's obvious this person just wanted their own song to be heard and didn't pay attention to the thread.

I will pick up your slack and review both the unreviewed songs.

White Wizard:

This song is pretty good. I like chiptune-type synths so I'm easy to please with those. I like the long buildup until the beat comes in. It is very relaxing overall, if a little repetitive.

7/10

boredone:

This is unbearably cheesy, but it does sound good. Good singing, good instrumentation. Absolutely horrendous lyrics though. Overall, the song reminds me of Backstreet Boys (not a negative). Your friend has potential. It's not really for me though.

6/10

my song (REALLY LISTEN TO IT before you post a song of your own)

Matisyahu- King Without a Crown (live at stubbs)

[yt]dsFpUW48Tnc[/yt]

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The grating hard parts of the dubstep that always feel overused really subtracted from the song, but if those weren't in, it'd be a pretty cool song. 7/10 I guess

And now to counter with my own favorite (music video) as of late.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9FFNdyISI
For the life of me, I don't know what was going on in that video.

Strangely catchy, and I loved the Weezer inclusion lmao. Even the song itself is strange...I mean I really don't know how to define this appropriately in terms of music, but I like it. Something I could listen to in the background.

7/10

I have three songs I've been meaning to get rated, but I'll start off with the one I've been listening to a lot lately. The link should take you straight to it. And yes, there is no youtube link of this with the music itself.

Click play on "True To The Game".

http://www.myspace.com/markwillott/music/songs/true-to-the-game-nba-2007-60135677

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I like the build up though in my opinion it started off kind of soft (or maybe I just should of not had my volume at max for when it became loud...) Has atmosphere which I really like, I was half expecting lyrics, which while I am not really a fan of lyrics, it just seemed like one of those kind of songs, though it stopped giving that vide about 6/10th of the way. Over all really good, a little to short though so I guess I would give a 8.5ish/10.

Gondola Star: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oww1LcWumEw <--I know this song has what I criticized your song for having and that would be too short, but trust me I wish this was longer.

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing about game soundtracks, they're hit or miss for me. Either I end up loving the whole thing and not just one song, or I shrug and maybe like one. Usually amazing 8-bit tracks do it for me, like megaman games usually have a nice soundtrack or Anamanaguchi made a pretty good soundtrack for the Scott Pilgrim Game.

It had an interesting atmosphere, kind of had a hint of Arabic 12 seconds in which isn't bad. I don't mind Oprah singing in songs much, but it really doesn't win me over either.

I'd give it a 6.5/10. Wasn't bad, just not my taste.

Aphex twin huh... its cool its too slow for me tho... I do like the genre of aphex twin.... Im giving this song a good hard listen and it just isnt dancy enough for me lol i guess I like trancier beats.

*song just stopped*

ill give it a 7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRGB27Yb5Hs&feature=related

theres mine
...Aphex Twin is an artist, not a genre.

Mine: I saw Sucker Punch for the midnight release, loved it. The OST is pretty awesome, give the whole thing a listen sometime. =)

Queen - I want it all/ We will rock you (mash-up feat. Armageddon aka Geddy)

Xyless

Smash Master

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

theeboredone

Smash Legend
^ That's not Wintersun LOL

But finding the link myself, dang...this guitar and bass...I've heard it a few times before, but it's too epic to pass up. Though uh...singing/talking/screaming? Eh...I didn't find his voice all that attractive when he was talking. Impartial to screaming, but the lyrics seem pretty cliche "The dark will never rise again for my eyes/ when I will never sleep again."

But yeah, I prefer his screaming to the talking he was pulling off earlier. It's actually not bad to listen too overall.

7/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfBOeu9m64E

The Roots Feat John Legend - The Fire

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm bringing this back. Hopefully it can last longer given this is a nice thread to have.

LT, I give that song a 7/10. Very...I don't want to say disturbed, but a ominous feeling to the whole thing. The music video also gave a vibe where I seem to have myself space out a bit to watching the streets going by. When the "Raindrops" thing started...well it lost a bit of its ominious feel, but...I don't know a really weird song. Not something I'd listen too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olpxs6pXhq8

Project Lionheart - They Come Back

Top Bottom