• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my marth

IrArby

Smash Ace
rofl @ being "ugly"

You are probably the most ignorant person in this thread lol

money match? Cause i would love taking money from you =)

i agree
I'm ignorant? How so? What did I say thats untrue? People kept talking about your great spacing. You almost exclusively space with Fsmash, for ****sake? Those people are being ignorant. Mindgames? you ran up to almost everyone without any dashdance, wavedash whtv, and misspaced dashattacks.

Like I said, I've no claim to being any sort of pro or semi or whatever, just that you weren't doing anything worth mimicking. Taking money from me in Smash doesn't prove that your good at all.

If thats your defense really, that you can beat some guy whos never won a tourney, I'll just conclude that you are really lucky. The fact that I haven't won a tourney doesn't disqualify my opinions on your play either. If you were above the opinions of people like me you've obviously wasted your time posting those vids.

soap

Smash Hero
You almost exclusively space with Fsmash, for ****sake? Those people are being ignorant. Mindgames? you ran up to almost everyone without any dashdance, wavedash whtv, and misspaced dashattacks.
thats called getting in peoples faces and forcing them to make a move, which he predicts, that is his style. And he never asked anybody to try his style or emulate him. And yes his style makes good players look dumb, they all dont magically suck.

you could have posted some advice about being a little more selective with your forward smashes, name situations where he did it wrong and say what you would have done differently, cuz i agree that he does it too much

Instead you made yourself sound like a douche. your original post just looked like you were watching through the matches looking for things to criticize him for.

sickotheben

Smash Rookie
I'm ignorant? How so? What did I say thats untrue? People kept talking about your great spacing. You almost exclusively space with Fsmash, for ****sake? Those people are being ignorant. Mindgames? you ran up to almost everyone without any dashdance, wavedash whtv, and misspaced dashattacks.

Like I said, I've no claim to being any sort of pro or semi or whatever, just that you weren't doing anything worth mimicking. Taking money from me in Smash doesn't prove that your good at all.

If thats your defense really, that you can beat some guy whos never won a tourney, I'll just conclude that you are really lucky. The fact that I haven't won a tourney doesn't disqualify my opinions on your play either. If you were above the opinions of people like me you've obviously wasted your time posting those vids.
he posted the videos over a year ago, stfu.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Not saying I'm really great and would beat you but . . . IDK what to say. I can't believe you win.
The question is not whether or not a player uses scrub tactics, but whether or not he or she can use them effectively in a match. I saw the "scrubby" fsmash spam - which was not really spam, but the use of a laggy and powerful move at ideal times with good spacing - succeeding in its purpose a lot more than it failed. To say that someone plays an ugly character simply because he or she is repetitive is just plain ignorant. Nobody scolded Azen for repeatedly edgeguarding Ken with fsmashes in those unforgettable sets. Fsmash was clearly the best option (even Ken's ledgeteching couldn't save him), and Azen utilized it with precise timing and spacing.

I would say that Drephen is not a repetitive player, even though his arsenal of moves may at times appear fairly constrained. The timing/placement/execution of the moves vary greatly. And that is what makes his playstyle diverse, so to speak. Well, yea. Anyway that's my two cents.

IrArby

Smash Ace
You guys do not get it. He did not space at all he did was stood there or ran directly at them. He didn't get in anyones face with an Fsmash he stood there. If its over a year ago why post it?

soap-your a dumb*ss. Thats the ****ing point of critiqueing vids to critique them. To be critical of them. Criticize and critique have the same ****ing root. Open a f*ckin book. Look up any other critique by a qualified smasher and they do similar things. So what if he forced someone to make a move? I could do that! Its not at all hard to force someone to make moves and wipe the floor with you. When you do stupid moves at stupid times that are stupidly spaced your asking someone to make some of those moves.

sickotheben- who the f*ck are you? First post flame? Do you know anything?

ChivalRuse, its not spacing for crying out loud. Noobs use the same tactic to beat lvl 9 cpus. Stand there and Fsmash. The game isn't played by hitting people away everytime they get close. Thats noob tactics and they are extremely punishable. Everyone else is punishing mistakes, comboing, forcing people into difficult positioning, trapping them in shields, at the edge, etc, and actually edgeguarding them (not wavedashing foward once back once and Fsmashing again. Its not ignorant to say he plays ugly. Saying someone plays ugly isn't even neccessailry an insult since Ken didn't play an exactly clean Marth. But, Ken also couldn't keep up with M2K's effecient well controled Marth. Plus, Ken had mindgames on his side and read the **** out of people for a long time. Drephen does not or at least not in these matches.

If you guys think I'm a douche, I could care less since you guys all look like misplaced c*cksucking fanboys of a not so great player. He didn't do anything worth emulating, and the title of the GOD D*MN THREAD is "Rate my marth". Ofcourse I critiqued it. Thats the point. Whats the point of me telling him he's good if he's not. Its all good and well to say, "if you don't like it that doesn't make it wrong" but there are points in life, belive or not, when people's opinions are wrong. I have some facts on my side. You guys have misguided ideas about how he's got great spacing or some bullsh*t like that. Those aren't facts, and your opinions aren't backed by anything concrete.

Theres even a name for phenomenon like this. Its called "Noobing". Look it up, I'm even pretty sure its in the Marth Player Guide's list of terms at the beggining. I doubt many of you have spent a reasonable amount of time there so please do, learn something.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
How can you tell drephen doesn't read people lol

he tech chases and fsmashes people out of everything

he is basically doing the same thing as azen so you are basically sayign azens marth sucks shrug

fsmash spam works if you do it right quit being dumb lol

also it's ironic you of all people say something about opinions being wrong since you don't know what you're talking about :bee:

IrArby

Smash Ace
How can you tell drephen doesn't read people lol? Is it because he stands there and waits to Fsmash or because he misspaces his dashattacks like when Jiano has time to turn around, shield, and he hits Jiano's shield with the hilt of the sword? Great spacing, even better reading the player there. Thats only one example amongst many.

he fsmashes people out of everything

fsmash spam works if you do it right quit being dumb lol but spamming most things will work assuming you do it right so whats the point of me saying this. Spamming grab will work if you do it right all the time and never get hit back! Its that simple.

also it's ironic you of all people say something about opinions being wrong since you don't know what you're talking about :bee:
Fixed. Its ironic that I knew someone would say something dumb about me using opinions when I already said I had some facts on my side while they had none. I think its insulting to Azen to say they play the same. I wouldn't presume to critique Azen's vids nor should just about anyone in this thread since none of us will be able to understand everything thats going on in his matches.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Ok come on guys, everyones entitled to their own opinion. Plus the vid is pretty old(Havent watched it though). Lets not turn this into the Peach boards where people are getting their panties in abunch over nonsense, lol who the **** cares whos the best Peach? Shes terrible anyway. Lol the Marth boards are pretty active and we have intellegent discussion...most of the time. Lets not change that ****. :)

Anyway Drephen get more midwest to play melee. I havent seen Tink,Dope,Bushman,Watty, etc vids in forever. Just you repeatedly beating my buddy Swift lol. Convince them all to go to Genesis.

VA

Smash Hero
You guys do not get it. He did not space at all he did was stood there or ran directly at them. He didn't get in anyones face with an Fsmash he stood there. If its over a year ago why post it?

soap-your a dumb*ss. Thats the ****ing point of critiqueing vids to critique them. To be critical of them. Criticize and critique have the same ****ing root. Open a f*ckin book. Look up any other critique by a qualified smasher and they do similar things. So what if he forced someone to make a move? I could do that! Its not at all hard to force someone to make moves and wipe the floor with you. When you do stupid moves at stupid times that are stupidly spaced your asking someone to make some of those moves.

sickotheben- who the f*ck are you? First post flame? Do you know anything?

ChivalRuse, its not spacing for crying out loud. Noobs use the same tactic to beat lvl 9 cpus. Stand there and Fsmash. The game isn't played by hitting people away everytime they get close. Thats noob tactics and they are extremely punishable. Everyone else is punishing mistakes, comboing, forcing people into difficult positioning, trapping them in shields, at the edge, etc, and actually edgeguarding them (not wavedashing foward once back once and Fsmashing again. Its not ignorant to say he plays ugly. Saying someone plays ugly isn't even neccessailry an insult since Ken didn't play an exactly clean Marth. But, Ken also couldn't keep up with M2K's effecient well controled Marth. Plus, Ken had mindgames on his side and read the **** out of people for a long time. Drephen does not or at least not in these matches.

If you guys think I'm a douche, I could care less since you guys all look like misplaced c*cksucking fanboys of a not so great player. He didn't do anything worth emulating, and the title of the GOD D*MN THREAD is "Rate my marth". Ofcourse I critiqued it. Thats the point. Whats the point of me telling him he's good if he's not. Its all good and well to say, "if you don't like it that doesn't make it wrong" but there are points in life, belive or not, when people's opinions are wrong. I have some facts on my side. You guys have misguided ideas about how he's got great spacing or some bullsh*t like that. Those aren't facts, and your opinions aren't backed by anything concrete.

Theres even a name for phenomenon like this. Its called "Noobing". Look it up, I'm even pretty sure its in the Marth Player Guide's list of terms at the beggining. I doubt many of you have spent a reasonable amount of time there so please do, learn something.
Well there's what you see and what other people see. Unless people are just letting drephen win there is obviously something going on that you aren't seeing, he's not just fsmashing on the spot as idle as you would against a lvl 9. Consider that maybe you haven't watched it carefully, I mean the vids of his sheik against forwards falco look pretty similar but with dsmash instead of fsmash. It takes a lot of control of stage and space to execute drephens style and I think you aren't recognising it, passing it off as bad because it's not a smooth m2k style.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Admittedly, I've the vids are less bad than I've been making them sound in the last two post after people attacking me, but I don't find Drephen's style to be a good one worth imitating and I critiqed it semisorta so its my opinion that his style wouldn't be effective in a Semifinal match. Placing is good and all that (this seems to be the puropose ****ing Brawl Peach mains and **** like that) but it doesn't neccesairly win you money or the tournament so whats the point.

VA

Smash Hero
Admittedly, I've the vids are less bad than I've been making them sound in the last two post after people attacking me, but I don't find Drephen's style to be a good one worth imitating and I critiqed it semisorta so its my opinion that his style wouldn't be effective in a Semifinal match. Placing is good and all that (this seems to be the puropose ****ing Brawl Peach mains and **** like that) but it doesn't neccesairly win you money or the tournament so whats the point.
Yeah I think it's fine to express an opinion and critique it, but there are certain things that are subjective and objective about drephen. Subjective on how nice looking his style is, objective on how effective it is, simply put, drephen wins.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You know, I bet Drephen could break a lot of shields if he just started throwing out a shield breaker every now an then.

Like, he could probably break someone's shield once or twice per match.

I'd find that pretty entertaining.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Objectively speaking, he doesn't neccesarily based on these vids, win anymore, as this style probably isn't very effective anymore.

People in melee who want to place high generally pick between the top and high tier characters, and can succeed in getting top placements with any of those characters. Fsmash spammy Marth players did well... like 3 years ago. When I watch vids from even 18 months ago, I always notice how bad even top pro level players would DI, getting them ***** by combos that were, at the time, impressive.
The point is, by critiqueing the vids I basically said this style isn't a realiable one. Facts and opinions from top players agree with me. Opinions from top players can be said to be nearly subjective since they come from realiable people.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Opinions from top players can be said to be nearly subjective since they come from realiable people.
You probably mean nearly objective, and I don't see how people's opinions can ever become objective, however good or experienced (or even just knowledgeable... <3 EL) they are.

Drephen, your marth is gay, but your marth pwns. Keep up the good work :D

VA

Smash Hero
Well I was speaking in regards to the videos I watched of Drephen beating jiano and swift from a recent tournament and doing some kick *** stuff, that combo on jiano was awesome. something something dair dair usmash >_> that **** is inventive.

rustediron

Smash Lord
Yes I do mean nearly subjective as I actually said that.

NOTE: I didn't edit that post or anything its in there just like that plain as day.
...well of course an opinion is subjective. No 'nearly' about it. In fact, anyone's opinion would be subjective, irrelevant of reliability. That is the point of an opinion, as far as I am aware.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You guys do not get it. He did not space at all he did was stood there or ran directly at them. He didn't get in anyones face with an Fsmash he stood there.

Calm down. Some of the stuff you're saying is legitimate, I'll admit. But the tone of your "critique" makes me wonder whether you're not just venting because you don't like him/are jealous of his "luck" as M2K called it.

In any case, I don't think I completely agree with you on your diagnosis of Drephen's playstyle. The tactic that the Marth Guide calls "noobing" can get the job done. In fact, if your opponent is actually reckless enough to dash into your ready hands, he deserves to eat a tipper. The reason why we don't often see pros employing this defense is because they rarely play against opponents who are foolhardy enough to fall victim to it repeatedly. The fact that Drephen pulls off so many fsmashes against top pros is proof enough that his Marth is not scrubby.

Really, could YOU land as many fsmashes against Jiano, Dope, etc. as Drephen does in one match?

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Objectively speaking, he doesn't neccesarily based on these vids, win anymore, as this style probably isn't very effective anymore.

The point is, by critiqueing the vids I basically said this style isn't a realiable one. Facts and opinions from top players agree with me. Opinions from top players can be said to be nearly subjective since they come from realiable people.
I really don't understand the nearly subjective part.
And obviously you know the difference between objective and subjective since you used them both in this post... so why is it nearly subjective? Are you saying it's almost objective so it's hardly subjective?

Btw, interesting marth, lol. I wish I could win that easily. xD Just wavedash and f-smash, lol. Rhymes too.

:093:

IrArby

Smash Ace
Its nearly objective since it came from a very reliable pro. We can sort of take what Cactuar says about Marth for fact is most cases.

Noobing isn't a tactic you employ, just to clarify. Noobing is when you employ competitive mindgame type stuff and noobs don't fall for your fients since they don't know that they should. Its like if I were playing soccer and I do a bunch of stepovers, someone who doesn't play won't fall for it since they don't know the purpose of them.

And no I'm not jealous of Drephen I just found it painful to watch.

I can only hope that Jiano records thier friendlies next time around.

Drephen

Smash Master
Its nearly objective since it came from a very reliable pro. We can sort of take what Cactuar says about Marth for fact is most cases.

Noobing isn't a tactic you employ, just to clarify. Noobing is when you employ competitive mindgame type stuff and noobs don't fall for your fients since they don't know that they should. Its like if I were playing soccer and I do a bunch of stepovers, someone who doesn't play won't fall for it since they don't know the purpose of them.

And no I'm not jealous of Drephen I just found it painful to watch.

I can only hope that Jiano records thier friendlies next time around.
rofl you really are ignorant

shutup please your making an idiot of yourself

jiano, bring ittttttttttt

IrArby

Smash Ace
rofl you really are ignorant

shutup please your making an idiot of yourself

jiano, bring ittttttttttt
rofl @ being "ugly"

You are probably the most ignorant person in this thread lol

money match? Cause i would love taking money from you =)

Drephen, either you can't read, can't refute, or can't internet yet. You can't discredit what I've said. Honestly, you didn't even need to copy my post. You could've copied the last one you posted which said the same ****ing thing. If you can't find fault with what I'm saying stfu.

And lol at your posting abilities which reflect your sh*tty minimalist style. Minimalist is a nice way of saying you don't have the full package. And I mean this in many respects.

oh d*mn rofl! rofl! your ignorant! your so ignorant! I could rofl take money rofl from you rofl.

Please say something when you actually try to say something or by definition your not saying anything and YOU look stupid.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Children, can we settle down and quit fighting over the internet? Look at the end of the day one fact remains true when it comes to this game...there is more then one way to play well. Ok so Drephen forward smashes like its going out of style and others Marths may lean more toward the M2K way doing things. Point is, regardless of which way looks appealing/flashy/sexier they both have a sense of unpredictable elements to them.

Iraby, I am not bashing on you though. I applaud you for doing exactly what the topic of this thread is called, which was rating Drephin's Marth. You just have to keep in mind that not everyone will read your posts and interpret the tone of your post the same. Me personally didn't take too much offense despite the clear anger in a few of your words. So yeah, at the end of the day, Drephen is considered pro and for whatever reason that maybe, he earned it. You've said what you thought about his Marth already so I think we can leave it at that. ^^

IrArby

Smash Ace
Sure, as long as no one wants to baselessly say I'm being ignorant or saying stupid things. I agree, my OP was a little angry sounding but as I said, it was painful to watch the videos and my review reflected that. It was also insulting for Drephen to call his opponents scubs, which though said in jest, doesn't detract from his insult. I look forward to new Drephen Jiano videos.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Do you feel vindicated having said the same stupid **** over and over?

kthxsuckballs

btw you still haven't said anything.

Seriously, I could be the bigger man right now, drop this stupid fight with an obviously stupid person (since interent flaming is obviously pointless) but really, why? To be the "Bigger Man"? Whats the point when I'm already sure that I am the bigger man where it counts. What are all those Fsmashes really compensating for? Is it the lack luster playstyle or something more?

lol Drephen lol

And just to keep things relevant, 2nd vid, Dope spends most of the first half of match making you look stupid like at :34 while standing in the corner you shield roll into the corner. Nice counter at :47 which I suppose just looks so bad but I guess you were expecting a RSHlaser? IDK. Ah the no spacing no DDing approached dash attack at 1:21 (not a first for you) where you get Fsmashed in the face. The whole next stock, Dope reads you like a book and proves that Fsmashing aimlessly isn't a reliable method to win with. Its however a great way to lose a stock on 2 moves. Nice edgeguard at 1:45, definetly something to be proud of, and certainly worth submitting. Some edgecamping and easypeasy Marth edgeguarding basics to take Dope's next stock which is nonetheless effective. Why he doesn't UpB from beneath the ledge and tech it IDK since he jumps out farther each time for the easy kill. You even take his last stock in the same manner where he should have definitely Edgeteched.

So congrats. Dope doesn't play a campy Falco and sit on the other side and laser you. Instead he approaches and baits your shieldgrabs multiple times and combos you badly for it. Obviously, you get at least 4 shieldgrabs in to downthrow and he makes it that much easier for you to take his stock.

Maybe people should have a look at this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoaIfxskS5c&feature=related.

Not Marth (Shiek obviously) but you basically play the same only you throw in Dsmash instead of Fsmash which works on spotdodging. You still, way to many times to count revert back into your shield and get baited into Shieldgrabbing. Your first stock is a prime example. The dashattacking is still all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3fZAFiMNQ
Here ^^, Shiek again and before anyone cries, hey thats PC whadaya expect or something about the vids being old keep in mind:

A. You did fairly well and

B. You were still playing the same way as the later vids

Your game is dashattack, Shieldgrab, dsmash. Throw in a few tilts and eventually you'll land a Fair. Thats all good and well. Look at the first PC's first stock. The first 35 seconds are a testamant (except for PCs SD ofcourse) to just how good a Shiek that utilizes the solid basic tactics can be. Your next stock, 6 seconds later is a testemant to just how beatable said tactics can be. Its not a bad match but it shows that you rely too much on a small portion of each characters arsenal. Hell, your ****ing famous for that.

My analysis, stick to Shiek, since a cheap/spammy Shiek will fair better than a mispaced/spammy Marth. Both of them Shieldgrab well too so no problems unless ofcourse you're trying to get better. That is the point of posting your own vids after all.

soap

Smash Hero
Seriously, I could be the bigger man right now, drop this stupid fight with an obviously stupid person (since interent flaming is obviously pointless)
lol ur the one getting pissed off and writing paragraphs in response to drephens brainless one liners:dizzy:

IrArby

Smash Ace
lol ur the one getting pissed off and writing paragraphs in response to drephens brainless one liners:dizzy:
Your forgetting that his brainless one liners refelct his near brainless play. If you can read you'll notice I actually look at some vids and rated his play, as per the purpose of posting vids in the first place. Maybe I should be mindlessly smoking his **** like you guys telling him he's got great mindgames and impeccable spacing. Please SU.

At least I feel comfortable expressing concrete thoughts and advice in more than two lines. However, you are smart enough to keep your posts short rather than dragging them out and revealing your own ignorance forthrightly. kudos

Forcystus

Smash Apprentice
Guys don't you see Ir Arby regrets making his point? He knows he's wrong it's just that he's too obstinate to back out now so he'd rather hopelessly try to defend his point with arguments that are not correct or irrelevant:

"Fsmashing aimlessly isn't a reliable method to win with" - 'Reliable' is a subjective term and how would you know that he was doing it aimlessly? He actually knew perfectly well what he was doing and what his aim was.

"Minimalist is a nice way of saying you don't have the full package." again this is just your opinion and you have no arguments to back up this statement. And to prove you wrong, Drephen has proved in other vids that he did posses a good level of technical ability or in your words 'the full package'.

"What are all those Fsmashes really compensating for?" - this question is completely irrelevant, what matters is the level of effectiveness.

As you see IrArby is just being emotional and has a lack of correct arguments and so reverts to confusing statements which seem plausible but actually aren't.

Lastly i don't like Drephen's playstyle at all, i think it should be banned. But you can not deny its effectiveness, and he is fully entitled to his playstyle.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
IrArby I have no opinion on the matter but I don;t think you should waste your time typing out huge large paragraphs. I doubt anyone in this thread cares much and I doubt you are gonna change the way drephen views you and his play style. I just feel bad that you are typing out so much stuff when it's all unnecessary.

Drephen

Smash Master
Do you feel vindicated having said the same stupid **** over and over?

kthxsuckballs

btw you still haven't said anything.

Seriously, I could be the bigger man right now, drop this stupid fight with an obviously stupid person (since interent flaming is obviously pointless) but really, why? To be the "Bigger Man"? Whats the point when I'm already sure that I am the bigger man where it counts. What are all those Fsmashes really compensating for? Is it the lack luster playstyle or something more?

lol Drephen lol

And just to keep things relevant, 2nd vid, Dope spends most of the first half of match making you look stupid like at :34 while standing in the corner you shield roll into the corner. Nice counter at :47 which I suppose just looks so bad but I guess you were expecting a RSHlaser? IDK. Ah the no spacing no DDing approached dash attack at 1:21 (not a first for you) where you get Fsmashed in the face. The whole next stock, Dope reads you like a book and proves that Fsmashing aimlessly isn't a reliable method to win with. Its however a great way to lose a stock on 2 moves. Nice edgeguard at 1:45, definetly something to be proud of, and certainly worth submitting. Some edgecamping and easypeasy Marth edgeguarding basics to take Dope's next stock which is nonetheless effective. Why he doesn't UpB from beneath the ledge and tech it IDK since he jumps out farther each time for the easy kill. You even take his last stock in the same manner where he should have definitely Edgeteched.

So congrats. Dope doesn't play a campy Falco and sit on the other side and laser you. Instead he approaches and baits your shieldgrabs multiple times and combos you badly for it. Obviously, you get at least 4 shieldgrabs in to downthrow and he makes it that much easier for you to take his stock.

Maybe people should have a look at this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoaIfxskS5c&feature=related.

Not Marth (Shiek obviously) but you basically play the same only you throw in Dsmash instead of Fsmash which works on spotdodging. You still, way to many times to count revert back into your shield and get baited into Shieldgrabbing. Your first stock is a prime example. The dashattacking is still all the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3fZAFiMNQ
Here ^^, Shiek again and before anyone cries, hey thats PC whadaya expect or something about the vids being old keep in mind:

A. You did fairly well and

B. You were still playing the same way as the later vids

Your game is dashattack, Shieldgrab, dsmash. Throw in a few tilts and eventually you'll land a Fair. Thats all good and well. Look at the first PC's first stock. The first 35 seconds are a testamant (except for PCs SD ofcourse) to just how good a Shiek that utilizes the solid basic tactics can be. Your next stock, 6 seconds later is a testemant to just how beatable said tactics can be. Its not a bad match but it shows that you rely too much on a small portion of each characters arsenal. Hell, your ****ing famous for that.

My analysis, stick to Shiek, since a cheap/spammy Shiek will fair better than a mispaced/spammy Marth. Both of them Shieldgrab well too so no problems unless ofcourse you're trying to get better. That is the point of posting your own vids after all.
if you looked up ignorant in the dictionary, you would see IrArby written down

IrArby

Smash Ace
Firstly, Drephen, your joke is terrible and old and terribly old. Don't bother.

Macman, the point of critiqueing vids is to actually give advice, rate them, point out flaws, suggest alternatives etc. I don't feel bad at all for doing what the purpose of critique threads are there for. Plus, being critical of other people's vids is a step towards better analyzing your own play. I don't feel like I'm wasting my time at all. Quite the contrary in fact but thanks anyway.

Forcystus: You picked out a few points in a very large post and I'm guessing you either didn't watch the vid where I indicated, don't know what your talking about or both. As far as aimless Fsmashes goes, he was getting comboed by Dope and the combo actually ended but rather than trying to do something sensible and fairly safe to regain control of the match he Drephen threw out two desperate Fsmashes. He got his stock taken soon after. Watch the vid. Or shut up.

As far as being a minimalist goes, anyone whose really played or knows alot about Marth knows that Marth is anything but a minimalist as all his moves are very useful. Sure some people like Cactuar don't use SideB or they don't use Jab unless they're edguarding a Spacie Side B but all of his moves are very useful. There are some many other things Drephen could have done. Why do you think Dope started reading him so badly? Drephen pretty much approaches with dashattack and shieldgrabs. Dope reads Drephen a sh*t ton in that vid and other vids from that set but gets edgeguarded for stupid mistakes in the posted vid.

Having and using options is what makes Melee great. I could be a minimalist and play rock, paper, scissors. Its not the first time Smash's offense/defense options have been compared as such. But if I go rock 80% of the time and paper 20% of the time all the time, I'm not playing good odds am I? Thats what Drephen's limited arsenal does. You can see from the set Dope starts spotdoding Drephen's Dashattacks and Grabs so as to beat out both options. Drephen then goes Shiek to utilize the Dsmash and punish spotdodging. In the second vid with Dope/Drephen on Corneria, Dope baits I think 3 shieldgrabs to take his stock.

So yea you didn't really analyze any of the match data specifics I pulled up. Work on that and piss off in the meantime. No one is here to take away Drephen's playstyle. No one said he's not entitled to it. But the point of posting vids in a thread that reads "rate my marth" is not to blow your load at his terrible gameplay. Its to critique the vids as I did and Miggs acknowledged. You guys are the ones here for the wrong purpose unless you pull some match specifics as to why my match specific points are incorrect.

btw this took about 15 mins so don't bother feeling bad that I wrote too much or whatever. Its more than worth it to rip holes in 38post count noobs and a cocky pro.

Top Bottom